Interesting

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Interesting

Post by NovakOmaha »

I thought I'd pass on an interesting development. I was going to private message Omababe as she's all about old restaurants but I thought I'd share it with everyone. The Omaha Jewish Press is moving all of its old issues online. If you go to this link you can look at or download and view every edition back to 1989 and they are adding more all the time. The paper is pretty old, I would bet back to the 1920's or so.

Now, I'm sure you're all interested in little Ricky Goldstein's Bar Mitzvah announcement but what you'll find even more interesting are the ads for restaurants and retail stores. Some of the older issues are rather hard to view as they are scanned from what I am sure are old, yellowed and probably not in the best shape issues. What you can glean from the ads sometimes are menues and special events. I don't know if the Catholic Voice or any other papers or magazines are doing this but it's interesting.

Enjoy everyone, and congratulations Ricky!
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Interesting

Post by nebugeater »

NovakOmaha wrote:I thought I'd pass on an interesting development. I was going to private message Omababe as she's all about old restaurants but I thought I'd share it with everyone. The Omaha Jewish Press is moving all of its old issues online. If you go to this link you can look at or download and view every edition back to 1989 and they are adding more all the time. The paper is pretty old, I would bet back to the 1920's or so.

Now, I'm sure you're all interested in little Ricky Goldstein's Bar Mitzvah announcement but what you'll find even more interesting are the ads for restaurants and retail stores. Some of the older issues are rather hard to view as they are scanned from what I am sure are old, yellowed and probably not in the best shape issues. What you can glean from the ads sometimes are menues and special events. I don't know if the Catholic Voice or any other papers or magazines are doing this but it's interesting.

Enjoy everyone, and congratulations Ricky!

Thanks for the heads up. Is there a link to get to the archive? You said there was one but I do not see it embedded anywhere.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Sorry about that. I got a call & posted before adding the link.

https://issuu.com/jewishpress7

For instance, if you look at the January 6, 1989 issue you'll see ads for Chu's Chop Suey House and others. I think it's going to get really interesting when they get to issues from the 50s, 60s & 70s. I don't know for sure but the restaurants & stores of that time are what seem to interest people here. I may look around & see if the Catholic Voice has a similar online archive.

One other thing. If you just go to issuu.com you can search. For example, if you search "Omaha" you get quite a few publications like Omaha Magazine, OWH inserts, etc. It is a pretty interesting tool.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Thanks. :)