Swans at DeSoto Bend

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Swans at DeSoto Bend

Post by bigredmed1 »

Was up at DeSoto Bend today. Aside from the geese and ducks, they have about 60 swans migrating through. Never realized how much bigger they are than Canada geese. The rangers said that they have been coming through for 3 years and each year increasing in numbers.

Something to check out this weekend.
Brad
City Council

Re: Swans at DeSoto Bend

Post by Brad »

Sweet, thanks for the heads up. I would assume the lake is completely frozen, if so, where are the Swans hanging out at?
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Brad wrote:Sweet, thanks for the heads up. I would assume the lake is completely frozen, if so, where are the Swans hanging out at?
The main visitors center has a bubbler in the lake that keeps that part of the lake from freezing. They were right in front of that building.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bigredmed1 wrote:
Brad wrote:Sweet, thanks for the heads up. I would assume the lake is completely frozen, if so, where are the Swans hanging out at?
The main visitors center has a bubbler in the lake that keeps that part of the lake from freezing. They were right in front of that building.
Thanks! I have been meaning to go up there to look for Bald Eagles. Even more reason now.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Brad wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
Thanks! I have been meaning to go up there to look for Bald Eagles. Even more reason now.
On Wednesday, we saw a large immature bald eagle hunting ducks. Got a shot of it hovering over a spot where it's intended brunch dove under water to escape.