Grow Omaha Show discussion

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Schlitz light night eh D'Shawn? :wink: ..

Anyway..I thought the show was good..A topic like North Omaha development should take 2 1 hour shows to really discuss..But since Cherylyn LeBon from FirstJobs was a no show..Most of the show was dedicated to North Omaha development.They did discuss the new housing development along North 30th and the 24th st housing development close to the North Downtown development area..There was discussion of a lack of grocery stores and Target/Shop Ko/Kohls stores in the area; and the fact that most who live in NE Omaha travel to Council Bluffs, or West Omaha to shop for basic essentials..But alas..Time was running short..

Perhaps in the future, they can dedicate an entire show on this important topic..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Last edited by Omaha Cowboy on Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Cowboys!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I don't know what Schlitz is. I was just up visiting friends last night.

I don't see how there aren't any large retailers in North O. People here have money to spend on things that people in other parts of the city buy. Plus since we have to drive way west or to CB, it shows that we want whatever it is we're buying.
DTO
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Schlitz is a beer (Don't know if they even brew it anymore)..

That is another point brought up..That there is no wealth in North Omaha with $$ to spend..Of course that is NOT true and there is $$..It is more a perception of ' high crime' and 'race'..That keeps the bigger box stores out of NE Omaha..This point was brought up during the show..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I agree Jeff..The Jerry Hoberman reference..

Makes great business and economic sense..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
futrecndvlpr
Home Owners Association

Post by futrecndvlpr »

Where can you get the show recordings? Link please...
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

futrecndvlpr wrote:Where can you get the show recordings? Link please...
growomaha.com
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Here is the link:

http://www.growomaha.com/archive.htm

..Ciao..Lio....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From my email:

'This week on GROW OMAHA:

The 16th annual "Buy the Big 'O' Show" takes place on Tuesday, October 11th from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at Qwest Center Omaha. The Big 'O' Show is the region's largest business-to-business trade show and a fantastic networking event. More than 7,000 attendees and 400 exhibitors will be on hand to share information and exchange business cards. It is one of the most important events of the year for the Omaha business community. Coldwell Banker Commercial World Group, sponsor of Grow Omaha, will be exhibiting for the fourth consecutive year. Find out more about this exciting event by tuning in to Grow Omaha this Saturday. Our guest will be Larry Gomez, Director of Small Business Services at the Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce.

As oil prices continue to skyrocket, more and more people are thinking about alternative forms of transportation, and many large American cities are expanding their public transportation systems. As Omaha grows, it too will have to enhance its transportation infrastructure. That's why Grow Omaha will focus on light rail commuting and its place in Omaha's future during the second half of this week's show. Our guest will be Eric Miller, a transit planner with URS Corporation in Denver. Eric also serves as publicity commissioner for Omaha Streetcar, a nonprofit coalition dedicated to advocating for the implementation of streetcar and light rail plans in the Omaha metropolitan region.'..

Go Eric (Zephyr)! :) ..

Listen to Grow Omaha each Saturday at 8 a.m. on News-Talk 1290 (AM) KKAR :) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Giggity! :D Thanks, Lou.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Zephyr wrote:Giggity! :D Thanks, Lou.
Anytime Eric!..Knock it out of the park Saturday :D ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Break a leg Eric! I'm sure at a very minimum you'll keep your Umm's under control. :)

And once again, thanks for the kind words guys with regards to my 'air time'. It was a little intimidating... they had their scripts drawn up... I had no idea what they were wanting to talk about. I did make a single sheet of paper with some notes on them. I actually wanted to bring up Omaha Street Car on my own... however, as Jeff Beals said would be the case, the time flew by and they were doing their wrap up before I had a chance to get it in. So I made it a point to suggest afterwards that they have Eric on... I'm excited we'll have the opportunity to further get this message out into the public. I've heard Eric speak, I know he will do a great job! Hopefully some of the other broadcast media will pick up on this story as well.
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Thanks guys - I have some good stuff prepared and I will promise not to utter a single Umm! Well, I can't back that up, but I will try. Thank you again Jeff for helping me get on the show!

I also hope to announce our first Streetcar Plenary meeting, to be on November 2 at Spaghetti Works; for more information, see our newsletter:
http://www.omahastreetcar.com/Topics9-30-2005.pdf
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I hope it will come on here in Nebraska City. I hope I can crawl out of bed like I always plan on. :)
DTO
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Nice job Eric!..

I hope if/when you return to the show as a guest..They can dedicate the entire hour to Omaha Streetcar..At least that's what I'll suggest to Jeff B. the next time I see him :wink: ..

Again, nice job.. :) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Thanks, Lou - a whole hour would sure be nice. It's tough to cram so much information into the time! But I definitely enjoyed it and it's great to get the word out about Omaha Streetcar. Hopefully we will be back next year, and with more progress to show!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Excellent and you're welcome Eric!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I actually woke up on time. Amazing. Good job Eric. I didn't know you were calling in from Denver. One thing I thought was ignorrant of them was when they questioned if Omaha was dense enough for LRT and talked about it in west Omaha. Omaha is the 33rd densest city in the country. Just in the Destination Midtown study area there are around 7,000 people per square mile (Omaha as a whole is over 3,500) and has a much higher daytime density which is when the LRT would be used most. It has upwards of 20,000 people per square mile in the day.
DTO
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Fantastic job Eric! I can't wait to attend the Nov 2nd gathering to hear more discussion.
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Thanks, Jeff and D'Shawn. Actually, the "density factor" is an issue that I have heard several times in the past by pessimistic types. In a way, it's good they asked that so we could put that myth to rest!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

When will it be online?
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

I think the shows are usually available the following Monday afternoon.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Omaha (2000 census data) actually also has the 29th most dense -urbanized area-. You'll note our urbanized area, in terms of population, is also larger or rivals larger population metros like Birmingham, Raleigh-Durham, Grand Rapids, Fresna, and Tulsa. I hope Jeff or Trenton will mention this factoid to their listeners... as it is an interesting one. Omaha IS a dense city.

http://www.demographia.com/db-ua2000compare.htm
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Can't say I've ever heard of Fresna Jeff. Where's that? :)
DTO
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Actually, Omaha ranks 31st in population density among urbanized areas over 500,000 according to 2000 US Census data..But hey, I'd be happy to use 29th :wink: ..

I shot Jeff Beals an email with my Demographia link and stated perhaps a mention of this factoid will open some eyes to streetcar/lightrail doubters in Omaha..

Here is the link showing the ranking (3rd table of 3) that I sent Jeff B.:

http://www.demographia.com/db-ua2000r.htm

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

I wouldn't trust demographia too much - it's run by a big light rail opponent who is actually associated with that crackhead I mentioned from Portland who tries (key word there) to stop rail transit progress in any city, including Denver's FasTracks initiative.
scraper
Home Owners Association

Post by scraper »

I'd be interested to know how many of the 28 or 30 cities that are more dense than Omaha have light rail, and how many cities that are less dense have light rail.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Zephyr wrote:I wouldn't trust demographia too much - it's run by a big light rail opponent who is actually associated with that crackhead I mentioned from Portland who tries (key word there) to stop rail transit progress in any city, including Denver's FasTracks initiative.
The ranking though is a positive for Omaha..It shows truly and factually how dense Omaha actually is..And they are tracking density population figures for a metros urbanized area from numbers provided by the 2000 US Census..The figures look to be pretty dead on..

Here is part of the email response I got back from Jeff Beals (I sent him the Demographia density table link):

'Thanks, Lou. I’m going to write a City Weekly article on transit in a couple weeks, and I’ll probably use this data in that article. I appreciate the info.'..

I suspect more good pub for streetcar/rail in Omaha..Look for this Jeff Beals piece in the Omaha City Weekly in a couple of weeks :) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

scraper wrote:I'd be interested to know how many of the 28 or 30 cities that are more dense than Omaha have light rail, and how many cities that are less dense have light rail.
Off the top of my head, I know of 15 of the 30 cities ranked more dense than Omaha that have some sort of rail transit..And the number is probably greater than that..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Actually, Omaha ranks 31st in population density among urbanized areas over 500,000 according to 2000 US Census data..But hey, I'd be happy to use 29th
I was going off the 4th column in this table ( http://www.demographia.com/db-ua2000compare.htm )... I guess one of them is incorrect... and I was obviously smoking something when I went down the list (sorted by the -1st- column) to list other larger metros with lower urbanized area densities.

So... to redeem myself... I'll cite this other ranking of 'new development density' ... where we rank 24th. :D

http://www.demographia.com/db-ua2000compare.htm#1

and DTO... you go right ahead and keep bringing those typos to my attention. I'm keeping score... and by my count, I'm kicking your |expletive| all the way to 'Fresna' and back. :D
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

After careful consideration..I've decided to use that #24 ranking from now on :wink: .. :D ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Yes, top 25!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

jhuston wrote:
and DTO... you go right ahead and keep bringing those typos to my attention. I'm keeping score... and by my count, I'm kicking your |expletive| all the way to 'Fresna' and back. :D
I luv you to Jeff. That's the 2nd time of gotten a talkin' to about correcting people's typos. Apparently my supervisor doesn't like to have their mass email errors pointed out either. :)
DTO
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From my email (sorry for the belated..better late than never :) ) -

With gasoline and natural gas prices soaring to record high levels, what does the future hold and how can we better prepare for it? Tune in to Grow Omaha this Saturday for an enlightening discussion of New Energy Trends. Our guest will be Bill Moore, publisher of Omaha-based EV World, a leading web publication devoted to sustainable mobility policy and technology. Bill is a pioneer Internet publisher and has been interviewed by the BBC, China Central Television in Beijing and Coast-to-Coast AM with George Noory. Don't miss this fascinating conversation!

The mission of the Omaha Public Library is "to educate, inform, enlighten, enrich and entertain." Libraries also play a key role in developing a city's workforce, thus enhancing economic development. Our guest during Part II of this week's show will be Rivkah Sass, Executive Director of the Omaha Public Library, the oldest public library west of the Mississippi River. Since graduating from the University of Washington Library School in 1978, Rivkah has worked at libraries in Washington, Oregon, Maryland and now Nebraska. She also spent three years in the private sector working for the Thomson Corporation. Tune in Saturday morning and find out why Rivkah is passionate about the role libraries play in a successful democratic society! '..

It was a great show as usual..I especially enjoyed Rivkah Sass, Exec Dir of the Omaha Public Library..She is enthusiatic, well spoken, and seems to have much vigor in her pursuit to make the Omaha Public Library system reach its fullest potential. We are fortunate to have her here in Omaha..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From my email-

At the beginning of this week's show, we are going to talk about "Women in Science & Engineering." A new program at the College of St. Mary in Omaha is designed to prepare more women for these important career fields. Our guest will be Roger Helgoth, a member of the College of St. Mary Board of Directors and co-owner of Jacobson Helgoth, an environmental engineering company.

(then Pt2)

The Omaha metropolitan statistical area consists of eight counties (five in Nebraska and three in Iowa). This week, we'll take a look at one of them: Washington County, which is located just north of Omaha. Home to Blair, NE, Washington County is experiencing a rapid increase in economic activity.

Our guests will be Paula Hazelwood and Phil Green. Paula Hazelwood is Executive Director of the Gateway Development Corporation, which is dedicated to bringing jobs and investment to Washington County. Phil Green is the Assistant City Administrator for the City of Blair, the county seat in Washington County. Among his primary responsibilities are planning and zoning. Tune in for an educational discussion about one of the metro area's up-and-coming counties!'..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

jhuston wrote:
So... to redeem myself... I'll cite this other ranking of 'new development density' ... where we rank 24th. :D
The flipside of that though is that Omaha ranks 45th in terms of change in density between 1990 and 2000. So we may be dense, but we're losing density (so we float to the top, right?) 8)
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From my email-

BONUS COVERAGE:

At the beginning of this week's show, Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce President David Brown, will give us an overview of PayPal's expansion at the Southport East development in La Vista.

(Then)..

Several Omaha preservation groups and Midtown organizations are coming together to organize the "Restore Omaha" Conference and Exhibition. Scheduled for November 5 & 6 at the Mutual of Omaha Dome, the conference will focus on teaching people how to renew, revive and restore older properties. This is a timely matter especially now that Omaha is investing so much in Midtown and other mature parts of the city. Our guests will be Kristine Gerber, owner of Eventive Marketing; Martin Janousek, an architect and preservationist; and Jim Farho, president of the Midtown Neighborhood Alliance.

In Part II of this week's show, we'll talk about economic development with John Gale, Nebraska's Secretary of State. Among his many responsibilities, Secretary Gale facilitates commerce, cultural exchange and educational study programs between Nebraska and foreign nations. In 2004, he brought several foreign diplomats to Omaha to show them how they can do business with Nebraska companies. John Gale was appointed as Secretary of State by former Governor Mike Johanns in 2000. He was elected to a full term in 2002 and is seeking reelection in 2006. He spent 30 years practicing law in North Platte, and was once an Assistant U.S. Attorney in Omaha and Lincoln.'

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From my email:

BONUS COVERAGE:

At the beginning of this week's show, we'll learn about the six new retailers coming to Village Pointe, including Coach and J. Crew. Tune in as Kim Jones of RED Development brings us up to speed with exciting retail developments in west Omaha.

Then:

Omaha has always been a great restaurant town, but the recent expansion of restaurants has been astonishing. Approximately 50 restaurants are located along West Center Road west of 168th Steet. New restaurants are popping up all over town. Thirty national restaurant chains have entered the Omaha market in the last year and a half. Why is Omaha such a hot spot for restaurants? We all have to eat, but can we support all these new restaurants? Tune in to Grow Omaha this Saturday and hear more about the restaurant business, one of the most intriguing and fastest-growing sectors of Omaha's economy.

Our guests are Brian Magee and Felicia Collins. Brian Magee is the President and Founder of The Upstream Brewing Company, an Omaha-based restaurant, brewey and bar with locations in the Old Markat and at 171st and West Center Road. Magee was named the 2000 Restauranter of the Year by the Omaha Restaurant Association. The Upstream was named "Best New Restaurant" in 1996 by the Omaha World-Herald.

Felicia Collins is owner of Omaha-based Felicia Collins Public Relations. As a publicist and strategic counsel, Collins provides her clients with creative ideas and services to help them communicate successfully with their clients. Prior to forming her own company in 1999, she worked in advertising in Chicago. Among her many clients, Collins has worked extensively with retail, food and restaurant businesses.'..

This should be a signature show folks..Don't miss it!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From my email:

In order for a city to grow and prosper, crime needs to be held in check. That's one of the reasons law enforcement is so important. To examine the state of crime and law enforcement in Omaha, we've invited an expert, Douglas County Attorney Stuart J. Dornan.

Prior to becoming County Attorney in September 2003, Stu Dornan was a partner with Gallup & Schaefer, an Omaha law firm. From 1984 to 1987, he served as a Special Agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation's (FBI) Omaha office. He holds a law degree from Louisiana State University and a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Florida, Gainesville. '..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From my email:

We're going to take a look forward on the next episode of Grow Omaha. That's why the theme of our show this week is "Economic Outlook." The new Nebraska Advantage business incentives officially begin January 1st, meaning 2006 could be a banner year for economic development in Nebraska. We'll explore what Nebraska Advantage means to our economy, and we'll discuss a number of other issues related to Nebraska's economic future.

Our guests will be Richard Baier, Director of the Nebraska Department of Economic Development and Scott Strain, Senior Director of Research at the Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce.'..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From my email:

Because architects play a key role in a city's growth and development, they make great guests on Grow Omaha! That's why we've invited Ken West, AIA, Principal at DLR Group, to join us this Saturday for a discussion of Omaha's growth and development.

Ken West has been involved in a number of high-profile projects in Omaha's recent history, including the Qwest Center, Scott Technology Center, UNO's Peter Kiewit Institute, and Eppley Airfield. He has been a principal overseeing projects of varying size, scale and complexity for more than 20 years and has more than 27 years of experience in project management as well as architectural programming, planning and design. Ken holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Architecture from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

BONUS COVERAGE: As an added bonus this week, we'll highlight some of the Omaha economic statistics released earlier this week at the Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce's Economic Outlook Luncheon. We'll also tell you about a unique redevelopment project in Dundee. Be sure to tune in! '..

The BONUS COVERAGE statistics Jeff Beals is alluding too relates to Omaha's GMP (Gross Metro Product)..A thread on the topic was created here:

http://www.eomaha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2964

This should be yet another GREAT show!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!