Potpourri

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I understand what you're saying (but I didn't realize we lost OTC or Sitel? and FDR still has a significant presence remaining in Omaha, with their bread and butter card services still headquartered here) ... although I don't think this is anything unique to Omaha. Let's face it... business is propagating towards larger and larger cities. Even Seattle can point to the loss of Boeing to Chicago. Omaha IS rather unique in the history it has had in creating large successful companies. Gee whiz, consider the F500 headquarters we've LOST (Northern, MFS Communications, Inacom, Aquila, FDC, etc)... yet we still have more than any other metro under 1 million (and more than KC :) )... I find that remarkable.

With all that success, I just find it horribly depressing to sit around trying to anticipate if/when one particular firm is going to be acquired and/or ultimately it's presence dissolved within the metro. Sorry, I'll try to be less abrasive towards others however who feel like they need to contemplate such hypotheticals. I apologize for attempting to impose an overly positive atmosphere of discussion. :)
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

FYI-

In the late 90's when Sitel CEO Jim Lynch backed away for the company, Sitel moved it's corporate HQ's to Baltimore, MD..

For about 4 years now, the Sitel Corporate HQ's have been back in Omaha..And Jim Lynch is more actively involved..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Hey I can understand and appreciate the desire and need to stay positive. However, my background being in economics and several of my experiences being in strategic planning, I just find these phenomena interesting not negative or depressing. And I found it hard to believe that these large macroeconomic phenomena are irrelevant. Mid-sized firms work to survive and grow in spite of these trends everyday. It affects all of their moves.

But really beside all of that, I was just trying to comment on the rumor of a certain, not to name any names, Omaha business icon being in the hunt to build a new headquarters building. I thought I had a valid opinion that this certain icon would be focusing their attention and strategic energies on other things for the next few years. I thought it would be good to back up my opinion with facts that backed up my observations of industry consolidation and what that means for the future of mid-sized firms. It was not meant to speculate about the demise of one firm but to discuss these larger trends of the last 30 years or so. This firm and its industry, to me, provided a good example and one that I thought would garner attention. And back up the reasons why this firm will not be one we can count on for some time to add to our skyline.

To the earlier post about Omaha having a knack for developing companies that go elsewhere, I don't think Omaha or its CEOs are the cause. Again it is just the consolidation thing again and the larger fish in those other cities usually win as they try to get bigger.

One could get depressed about this stuff. Or, IMO, one could discuss them, become more learned in these areas, and as a community we may be more likely to be the community on the winning end of these consolidating transactions in the future.

But ... back to more relevant stuff, Frank and the Bobcats played with grit and determination, if not the best skill level, and pulled off a very satisfying upset on National TV. Got Frank; Got Upset!!! :D
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Good points guy. Similarly, my comments on MoO redirecting monies to core competenceis rather than expansion (relevant to topic).

Good job Frank! Nice to se he still has it!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I didn't even bother to read anything on here after my last post, but how does this go from being a rumor about a new Mutual building to someone buying Mutual? And for your info Jeff, this wasn't a DTO wishlist. I've heard this talk at work for awhile and have lately been hearing it from people outisde of the company who might know better than anyone here.

And as far as Mutual being a 'small' player, there are huge efforts going on that I read about every damn day about growing our brand. That's why we sponsor things like Wild Kingdom, Golf, USA Swimming (we at Mutual knew Omaha got the Swim Trials before any of you all did), and the Wild Kingdom Bus Tour that will be seen by over 1,000,000 people in the Northeastern part of the U.S. Mutual of Omaha's CEO Dan Neary is commited to growing this company bigger than other regional companies (Principal :) ) and in the future aquiring other companies. Principal would love to have the name recognition Mutual does. Even though we are a 'smaller' company, we are more well known and that can be way more valuable.
DTO
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I don't know how well known Mutual of Omaha remains around the rest of the country (since the more prominent days of the 'Wild Kingdom') ... but I suspect that the Principal is probably at LEAST as well known.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

The only reason I know of it is because of being close to Des Moines. But name recognition, in any business, is very important. And I know for a fact that Mutual is on a campaign to be more aggressive and grow our share of the market and even overtaking some competitors.
DTO
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Okay, I'm going to take the Frank Solich path now :P

WOW. Ohio stuns Pittsburgh... and now Pitt comes to Lincoln next week. Talk about pressure. Now Pederson (not necessarily Callahan) has the pressure of having to beat Pitt! <gulp>
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

I have found that you can always count on Frank when you have talked yourself into a corner. Go Bobcats!!!! :P
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

jhuston wrote:Okay, I'm going to take the Frank Solich path now :P

WOW. Ohio stuns Pittsburgh... and now Pitt comes to Lincoln next week. Talk about pressure. Now Pederson (not necessarily Callahan) has the pressure of having to beat Pitt! <gulp>
(**RANT**)I hope Pederson feels tons of pressure. His win at all costs mentality has made former Husker fans like me dispise the program (which it shouldnt have had to come to). He threw away the mentality that the Huskers will run right down your throught until your too tired to go on and the wonderful option history. This was all for a 5-6 season and my prediction of a 4-6(this year). What a bargin! We go from being in the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP 4 years ago to this! Talk about a downfall. What is that moron of an AD thinking?!?! Throwing away everything your program stood for for this! He is an (edit) IDIOT! And I will NOT root for any Nebraska team on any playing field until that man does not have a job in Lincoln. Here's the bad part. Our former coach is winning big games! That could be us still people! But no, Mr. Pederson had to throw that away! Its pathetic!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I don't have quite the intense feelings about it that you do, but I agree, the pressure is on for NU to beat Pitt. And as far as being in the National Championship 4 years ago - there was no way we should've been there. Its too bad that athletes who have nothing to do with Steve Pederson won't have your support. But at least when Pederson eliminates their programs due to lack of revenue/support you will have something to complain about ... I guess.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Our new AD does make it more difficult to root for our team. But I guess I will always bleed Husker Red in football.

I agree that we should not have been in that national championship game 4 years ago.

If Steve Pedersen had been AD in the mid-70s, Tom Osborne may have never made it to the 90s to get the championship trophies. He let Frank go and maybe Frank could have turned it around. We'll never know.

I like Frank immensely as a person of integrity. As a football coach I am not so sure. But Frank, IMO, deserved at least one more year.

So I don't like how Frank was dismissed and I don't think Pedersen is an honest man. He didn't tell the whole truth in what he was doing at the time of Frank's firing. He didn't come close to the truth when he said he didn't try to hire Houston Nutt.

And lastly, I will never have as much fun watching the West Coast Offense . Even if we ever get it running to where it is dominant. I liked the fact that Nebraska went with an offense that everyone said for years was antiquated. Yet in the Osborne years we pounded people with it.

We had enough confidence in what we were doing that we kept on doing it regardless of what other people thought. To me that is a quintessential characteristic of Nebraska.

I find it more exciting to watch a long run than a long pass.

My concern with Frank is that his option game was not up to par with Dr. Tom's. But I would have given him some more time. Especially if he kept on giving us 10-3 seasons.

I remember some pretty poor Osborne teams (on a relative scale) in the late 80s. Yet we came back and dominated in the 90s.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I would have liked to have seen how Frank could have done with John Blake's recruits (in my mind... Solich's biggest weakness). That guy is incredible! I'm convinced the only reason Stoops won his early championship... was because of the talent that John Blake recruited before he ultimately lost his job (fantastic recruiter... horrible head coach).
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Everyone needs to remember... Solich STILL hasn't won a big game with his own recruits. ;) In 3 or 4 years the folks in Athens, OH, will be thinking back to the glory years of 3-8...

-Big E
Stable genius.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

I hated the way it happed and dearly miss the option game, but Frank while a good guy, was very slow to make appropriate adjustments. He even had trouble getting his best atheletes on the field. It took him all year to realize Ross was our best back, which was obvious from the begining of the season.

I think the question now is how long before Beck or Ganz takes over?

Even if Taylor improves it'd be nice to see another QB in there getting reps.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

jhuston wrote:I understand what you're saying (but I didn't realize we lost OTC or Sitel? and FDR still has a significant presence remaining in Omaha, with their bread and butter card services still headquartered here) ... although I don't think this is anything unique to Omaha. Let's face it... business is propagating towards larger and larger cities. Even Seattle can point to the loss of Boeing to Chicago. Omaha IS rather unique in the history it has had in creating large successful companies. Gee whiz, consider the F500 headquarters we've LOST (Northern, MFS Communications, Inacom, Aquila, FDC, etc)... yet we still have more than any other metro under 1 million (and more than KC :) )... I find that remarkable.

With all that success, I just find it horribly depressing to sit around trying to anticipate if/when one particular firm is going to be acquired and/or ultimately it's presence dissolved within the metro. Sorry, I'll try to be less abrasive towards others however who feel like they need to contemplate such hypotheticals. I apologize for attempting to impose an overly positive atmosphere of discussion. :)
Jeff, I'll take a mulligan on Sitel. I forgot they moved the HQ back. I guess my point was more about the companies we lost, and you pointed to some. I do wonder what would have become of Internorth, MFS, FDC(to a lesser extent), etc. had they stayed here. As to Aquilla, I am unsure when they were independent, as opposed to being owned by or a division of Peoples.

And with respect to OTC, I honestly don't remember who bought it from Terry Watanabe, but I want to think its not an entity based in Omaha.

In any event, yes, there IS still an entrepreneurial spirit here and companies do tend to thrive here.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Ok, to more important matters.

Frankie isn't a bad guy, but MY OPINION is that he isn't head coach material. There was a wonderful op-ed piece in the Lincoln Journal Star when Frankie got let go that pointed out specifically why he shouldn't have been head coach.

Again, my OPINION is that I neither want Frankie to be head coach, nor do I want him to take out my appendix. That doesn't make me a horrible person and it doesn't take anything away from his ability as an assistant coach.

The question remains: IF he has the qualities of a head coach, why did he not receive an offer on the other 19 head coaching jobs available at the top D-1 football programs?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I almost hate to bring this back into the 'Potpourri'..But since some here feel I've dismissed their opinion that MofO is a potential candidate for a corporate insurance takeover with 'digs'..Which again was clearly not my intent..I'll offer this:

Yesterday after watching my Dallas Cowboys brilliant and thrilling 28-24 victory over the SD Chargers ( :D ), I asked my good friend, fellow Dallas Cowboys fan, and divisional Vice President at Mutual of Omaha if he felt his company was a candidate for a corporate takeover from a larger insurance 'fish'..Here was his response word for word (he felt it so important, he actually wrote the response to my question on a piece of paper while standing in his kitchen :lol:) :

'Mutual of Omaha is a 'mutual' company that is owned by its policyholders.The company is not a public company. Which means it has no stock for sale. There is NO consideration of 'de-mutualizing' the company. De-mutualization is a very costly option..One that would cost over $50 million..In order to have a larger insurance company 'take-over' MofO, a proxy mailing to over 100 policy holders would have to be sent and be subject to a vote of approval. Then after that, be subject to a vote of 'approval' from the Board of Directors..This again would be a very costly, timely, and unlikely to EVER to happen scenario..Mutual of Omaha is a VERY financially strong company with total assets approaching $19 billion.'..

So basically in a nutshell, he sees the potential of a MofO 'takeover' as highly unlikely to ever happen in the future..

Although as it was stated earlier here, any given business could potentially become the target of acquisition by another larger business..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:'Mutual of Omaha is a 'mutual' company that is owned by its policyholders.The company is not a public company. Which means it has no stock for sale. There is NO consideration of 'de-mutualizing' the company. De-mutualization is a very costly option..One that would cost over $50 million..In order to have a larger insurance company 'take-over' MofO, a proxy mailing to over 100 policy holders would have to be sent and be subject to a vote of approval. Then after that, be subject to a vote of 'approval' from the Board of Directors..This again would be a very costly, timely, and unlikely to EVER to happen scenario..Mutual of Omaha is a VERY financially strong company with total assets approaching $19 billion.'..

So basically in a nutshell, he sees the potential of a MofO 'takeover' as highly unlikely to ever happen in the future..
..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Thats good to hear. Oh and why not ask him if DTO's theory works next time you're together :wink:

Back to the important stuff, football. I think currently if this West Coast thing doesn't work out, and Mr 'impatient' Pederson discides throw Callahan out on the street, we will have a heck of a time finding a coach. Why would any coach in the nation want to come to a place that if you're not succesful within a few years you're fired. So as much as I hate to admit this, we're going to be stuck with this boring West Coast style football for a while. This situation seems like Nebraska has been stripped of what it was built on and is now starting over. Its sad to think that people are willing to do that just for a few more wins a season.

Now, since the topic is all over the place, I think Callahan needs to dumb his offense down a ton. It seems like every play he's moving atleast 3 players in motion. He needs to realize that this isn't the NFL and in order to move the ball he doesn't need to confuse that huge powerful backfield. He needs to realize that these are college kids. They are going to make mistakes, therefore, there is no need for so much motion. Another thing, Bill better get some recievers! If this offense is going to work, he needs guys that can catch the ball, having 2 good QB's isn't good enough.

Ok, I better stop before I make this thread too long. There is just too much to be said.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:I almost hate to bring this back into the 'Potpourri'..But since some here feel I've dismissed their opinion that MofO is a potential candidate for a corporate insurance takeover with 'digs'..Which again was clearly not my intent..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Your point is well taken. However, IMO, I don't believe it negates the facts I quoted several posts ago. Those facts are still there. We've all gotten sidetracked to some degree or another on this one. My point was simply that given those figures above, that certain icon is probably focusing on core business issues instead of new bricks and mortar. DTOs information about all of their refocusing on marketing efforts bear this out.

More important than all of this to me is that I understood and appreciated earlier response on my "digs" earlier on. I should have replied to this effect earlier. I was not that upset earlier as much as I was bewildered by how you and Jeff "seemed" to be responding earlier. Digs was my attempt to use a low level "diplomacy" word. If I had been really upset I would have used a much stronger and clearer term . . . but in a PM so not as to denigrate the forum. But I have never done that either. Bottom line the little bruised feelings on my part were bandaged up way back.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Thank you!

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!