General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Nebraska's State Quarter

Post by Coyote »

You can give your 2 cents on Nebraska quarter designs

LINCOLN - Let the voting begin.

The Secretary of State's Office posted 25 proposed designs for the Nebraska State Quarter on its Web site Friday morning. Nebraskans have until 11:59 p.m. Sept. 1 to vote for their favorites.

The election is nonbinding because results can't be certified. Participants can cast votes for more than one design by re-entering the Web page. Secretary of State John Gale asks that people not stack the ballots by voting multiple times for the same design.

The results will guide the State Quarter Design Committee in selecting design finalists by the end of September.

Vote Here
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Wow, most of those are pretty lame, which I was expecting.

I would have loved to see one with a design similar to what has historically been on the Nebraska license plates for years, featuring the Omaha skyline and state capitol on the right, and Chimney Rock on the left.

My votes would be for 6 because of the beautiful depiction of "heading west" with Chimney Rock, 11 because it's different and unique and not cliche, and 16 because I like the railroad theme.

I'm actually really surprised that more designs didn't feature railroad themes.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

They were all |expletive|. Omaha should become the 51st state so we can get our own quarter. :wink: I picked #4 with the Indian, Chimney rock, and Capitol. It had the most stuff that people would recognize and it wasn't at all agricultural related.
DTO
jays25ks
Home Owners Association

Post by jays25ks »

Streets that was lincolns skyline in the old plates. but besides no one cares about the states largest cities skyline. I voted for the same one as DTO. I think it gives a wide view of the state .
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

No, it had the capitol, but the skyline was definitely Omaha's.

And what do you mean "no one cares" about the states largest city's skyline? How about all the people that live in that city, which is more than half of the state!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

What do you think that tall, boxy skyscraper is? Hmmm, I think it's the Woodmen. Lincoln doesn't have a skyscraper of those proportions. ;)

jays25ks
Home Owners Association

Post by jays25ks »

Um then if it's the woodmen then why would the state capitol be taller than it. It is definately not omaha's skyline. And if this is Omaha's please show me a picture of it that helps to prove this from that vantage point.

The taller building to the right is definately the US bank Building. If you look at the first one closely its shows some sort of towers on top of the building such as the towers on top of the US Bank Building seen here http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=126264

and one more thing, have you ever driven west on I-80 past lincoln? If you have this is the view of lincoln's skyline you would get.
jays25ks
Home Owners Association

Post by jays25ks »

Oh and one more thing about the no one cares about omaha's skyline well if you look at all the other quarters what skylines do you see on them...thats right NONE because one cities skyline doesn't matter to people outside the state. It says nothing about the states history and heritage which is what is supposed to be pictured on the back of each states quarter.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Jays25ks,
The view of Chimney Rock, the State Capitol, and the Omaha skyline on the license plate is meant to show it as if you were out in the panhandle looking east across the whole state. That's why the capitol is taller, because it would be in front of the Omaha skyline as you look east. That's also why Chimney Rock is so enormous, because it's in the "foreground".

I wondered that, too, but then I realized it was all about the perspective.
jays25ks
Home Owners Association

Post by jays25ks »

OOOOOOOOO My bad that makes perfect sense.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

No problem.

Also, here is ONE state quarter that features the largest city's skyline...Illinois. Of course we would all agree that Chicago's history is absolutely essential to the history of the entire state, and the best way to represent Chicago is by showing the skyline. Well, I think the relationship between Omaha and Nebraska is no different.

And I'm not talking about JUST having the Omaha skyline, I'm talking about a design similar to that on the license plates above, with the Omaha skyline, state capitol, and Chimney Rock, representing the WHOLE state. Just like the Illinois quarter is not DOMINATED by the Chicago skyline, it's just part of it.

But it doesn't matter anyway, because none of the Nebraska Quarter designs feature the Omaha skyline.

And actually, speaking of that. I think TOO MANY quarter designs feature the Nebraska State Capitol. What is the significance of THAT to people outside the state? The Unicameral? Well, that's nothing to be proud of.

Anyway, I'm done rambling ;)
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I don't think that building is the Woodmen. The Woodmen has that extra stump on top. That building is flat-topped.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

You guys are being too picky here :). By sheer proportions it HAS to be the Woodmen. There's no other tall, slender, boxy skyscraper like that in Nebraska. Even the US Bank building in Lincoln (cited earlier) is too fat and stubby to be the building on the plate. It looks so obvious to me.

Wait....I don't think that's actually Chimney Rock either...The angle of the "chimney" just isn'e quite right. It must be another similar rock ;).
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Besides, it's not like that's the "actual" skyline, it's just a sillouhette, an "indication" of the skyline.
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Even though I live in Colorado, I voted; I figure 22 years in Nebraska should count for something.

I agree that the designs are generally lame, but not nearly as bad as some states, like Michigan! And I also agree that the building on the plates is the Woodmen Tower - of course it wouldn't trump the capitol in size, because the capitol is the premier landmark representing the state.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Think of it as 25 quarter horses in race

LINCOLN - A design featuring a dancing crane, a stalk of corn, Chimney Rock and the outline of Nebraska received the first vote Friday in an Internet election for the state quarter design.

The Secretary of State's Office went live with 25 proposed designs for the coin about 9:05 a.m. Friday. By 4:50 p.m., the quarters had received 4,611 votes.

Nebraskans have until 11:59 p.m. Sept. 1 to vote in the nonbinding election.

Secretary of State John Gale was staying mum on which designs led in the early returns.

He said he would allow a few days of voting to get a broad cross-section of participants before identifying the leading designs. Final results won't be announced until Sept. 2, when the Nebraska State Quarter Design Committee next meets.

"This is not a competition in terms of winners and losers," Gale said. I want this to be a positive learning experience for children and their families - to refresh themselves on Nebraska history and to recognize the icons of the state."

He said the 25 designs were chosen to represent the broad categories of themes featured in more than 6,500 proposals submitted by the public in a design contest.

Although the election is nonbinding, the committee will use the results to guide its decision as it picks five finalists to send to the U.S. Mint by the end of September. Gov. Mike Johanns has the final decision on the quarter, which will be released in 2006.

I thought that the Nebraska Quarter should represent events or qualities that make Nebraska a special state. Arbor Day is something special, but not 'monumental' or life changing. City skylines are a dime a dozen. To represent a state with its buildings is an insult to our citizens. My second choice was Design #16 - the Pony Express and Union Pacific - now if they could have included telegraph lines it would have completed the image of Nebraska as being the beginning of the West and from this juncture the nation was united. My favorite - which will probably never make it past round one - is Design #3 "Equality before the Law" for it was here in 1879 that A. J. Poppleton, an attorney for Union Pacific, took on the U.S. Courts and defended Chief Standing Bear forcing the courts to recognize Native Americans as Human Beings and therefore have the basic rights.

As Standing Bear testified, "That hand is not the color of yours, but if I pierce it, I shall feel pain. If you pierce your hand, you also feel pain. The blood that will flow from mine will be the same color as yours. I am a man. God made us both." And upon his release: "You and I are here. Our skins are of different color but God made us both. A little while ago when I was young I was wild. I knew nothing of the ways of the white people. I see you have a nice house here. I look at these beautiful rooms, I would like to have a house too, and it may be after a while that I can get one, but not so good a house as this. That is what I want to do. For a great many years, a hundred years or more, the white men have been driving us about. They are shrewd, sharp and know how to cheat. But since I have been here I have found them different. They have all treated me different. They have all treated me very kindly. I am very thankful for it. Hitherto when we have been wronged we went to war. To assert our rights and avenge our wrongs we took the tomahawk. We had no law to punish those who did wrong, so we took our tomahawks and went to kill... But you have found a better way. You have gone into court for us and I find our wrongs can be righted there. Now I have no more use for the tomahawk. I want to lay it down forever. (Here he stooped down, laid the tomahawk on the floor, and then stood erect and folded his arms and said:) I lay it down, I have no more use for it. I have found a better way."

Now that, my friends, is something to celebrate, to be proud of, to remember that here, in Nebraska (Omaha) an unwarranted prejudice was conquered, human liberties were upheld and the respect for the lives of all of humanity found its home on the prairie.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Zephyr wrote: And I also agree that the building on the plates is the Woodmen Tower - of course it wouldn't trump the capitol in size, because the capitol is the premier landmark representing the state.
The Woodmen is way taller and more massive than the capitol building. The capitol is a slender building at 400ft and the Woodmen is much more girthy and 478ft. That's not the first time I've heard people say the capitol is taller than the Woodmen.
DTO
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

:roll: Of course I know the Woodmen is taller than the capitol - I meant it would not trump the capitol in size on the LICENSE PLATES considering the capitol is the premier landmark representing the state.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Yeah I guess if the rest of the state has a chance to outshine Omaha they would take it.
DTO
eomaha
County Board

Quarter finalist's selected and headed to the mint

Post by eomaha »

The US Mint will make the final pick... I think I'd take the Sower (with Arbor Day inscription) or the Chimney Rock/State Capitol combo. Sitting bull is too busy in my opinion... and the wagon focuses on people leaving the state! :)

Quarter designs head to U.S. Mint

LINCOLN - The public spoke. The officials voted. But the U.S. Mint ultimately will decide what designs can be used to represent Nebraska on its state quarter.

Secretary of State John Gale offered that warning Thursday as members of the State Quarter Design Committee selected five design concepts from the 25 shown to the public in a nonbinding Internet vote last month.

"No matter what we do, we're not accepting the precise artistic design," Gale said. "We're accepting a concept."

The five concepts chosen by the panel: Ponca Chief Standing Bear; Chimney Rock and the State Capitol; Chimney Rock, a covered wagon and the sun; the Sower statue, with the inscription "Arbor Day State"; the Capitol, with the inscription "The Unicameral State."

Several early states chose their quarter designs through contests, Gale said, but mint officials no longer allow states to use that procedure or to design their own coins, following a dustup with the winning designer in Missouri.

States now must submit written descriptions of their five top design ideas. The submissions are to include photographs, historical documents and other information about each idea.

Gale said he plans to submit the designs used for the Internet vote as illustrations of the concepts.

Historians and artists working for the mint will turn the proffered ideas into official draft designs. States have a chance to see and comment about the designs before they become final.

The governor then chooses a winner from the mint-produced designs. Gov. Mike Johanns is expected to face that decision by March or April next year, Gale said.

Even knowing they were not choosing the official designs, committee members wrestled long and hard Thursday about narrowing the concepts to just five.

They wound up with:

• Ponca Chief Standing Bear, with an outline of the state of Nebraska and the state motto "Equality Before the Law." Committee members decided a banner in the design should be removed so the motto is more readable. Standing Bear would be the first American Indian represented on a quarter and is significant for his place in the history of constitutional law, said committee member Jodi Rave.

• Chimney Rock and the State Capitol. The design represents both ends of the state, as well as the past and present, argued committee member Gordon Howard.

• Chimney Rock, a covered wagon and the sun, representing the road west. The design should be included because it was the top vote-getter in the Internet poll, Gale said. Committee members said the design should be reversed because the positions of the monument, wagon and setting sun suggest that the wagon was headed east.

• The Sower statue from the top of the Capitol, with the inscription "Arbor Day State" added. Other Arbor Day representations were shelved because Iowa already used a tree-planting and Connecticut has a single tree on its coin. The Sower represents ideas of growth, the future and potential, said committee member Norman Geske.

• The Capitol, with the inscription "The Unicameral State." The design would represent one of Nebraska's claims to uniqueness, Gale said.

Picking the final five proved difficult. Some favorites didn't make the cut.

Committee member Virgil Marshall made several pleas to restore a design marking Nebraska's history as the state with the first homestead. Gale made a strong pitch for one bearing a train, as a key industry in the state and nation.

He also warned about incurring the wrath of the state's fourth-graders by eliminating a design with the western meadowlark, the state bird.

"It hurt to eliminate those. There are some great concepts there," Gale said.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

I agree some of the choices are way too busy. I am leaning toward Chimney rock and the Capitol Building. Two high profile Nebraska landmarks.
omahaopinions.com
Home Owners Association

Post by omahaopinions.com »

I have to agree with you projectman.
OmahaOpinions.com - Express your opinions!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

It actually seems a little backwards to me that the Nebraska Capitol is featured in 3 of the 5 designs that were sent to the mint. Is Nebraska known for its capitol? Funny I've never heard that.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Nebraska is known for being the only unicameral state of course.

As for the capitol building... it is the second tallest in the nation... second only to the Louisiana capitol building... which isn't nearly as nice looking. It is popular at skyscraperpage.com :)
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Nebraska does indeed seem to be known somewhat for its capital building. If you pick up any random architecture book and flip to the index, the odds are good you will find the state capital listed. Not so for any other state capital. Nebraska's is often referred to as Bertram Goodhue's masterpiece.

Is the state capital known outside Nebraska by the average yokel on the street? Not really. But still, I think it makes for a fine symbol of the state.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

jhuston wrote:Nebraska is known for being the only unicameral state of course.

As for the capitol building... it is the second tallest in the nation... second only to the Louisiana capitol building... which isn't nearly as nice looking. It is popular at skyscraperpage.com :)
I agree that all that is true, but do people outside the state really care? Well, I guess I don't really care that much about other state's quarter designs, and I'll definitely take the state capitol building over a stalk of corn or some husker football reference.

Don't get me wrong, I think the capitol building is beautiful. I have, however, read multiple architecture books that don't describe the capitol building in the most flattering fashion.

Plus, is the unicameral something to be proud of? Nebraska: Half the representation of all the other states!
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Yes, but half the representation at half the cost! :lol:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I voted for the one with Chimney Rock, the Indian and the Capitol. It showed enough of what you would expect and something others might not.
DTO
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

They got rid of my favorite. :(
One of five quarter designs eliminated from consideration

LINCOLN - One of five designs for Nebraska's state quarter, which showed the Capitol on one side and Chimney Rock on the other, was eliminated from consideration Wednesday.

The quarter design committee decided to drop the design, which several members said was their least favorite of the five approved at a meeting earlier this month.

"I don't think we can do justice to Chimney Rock or the Capitol," said Michael Schuyler, a Nebraska historian who argued that the reduced size required to fit both on the coin harmed the design.

Secretary of State John Gale, a member of the committee, said the design made Nebraska appear to be a barren wasteland and only added to a stereotypical image of the state.

Eliminating the dual Capitol-Chimney Rock image leaves four designs, each with a singular focus, which will be forwarded to the U.S. Mint.

One shows a covered wagon headed west with Chimney Rock in the background. Another features the Capitol with the words "Home of the Unicameral" and "State Capitol." Another design shows the Sower statue, which appears on top of the Capitol, with the words "The Sower" and "Home of Arbor Day." Another design shows Chief Standing Bear standing in front of an outline of the state with the state's motto "Equality Before the Law" on the top and "Chief Standing Bear" on the side.

The final designs were selected following a process that started with 6,500 design submissions from the public. Twenty-five were then posted for an informal Internet vote, out of which the covered wagon design pulled the most votes.

Norm Geske argued against including the covered wagon design, saying it was "so trite, so obvious, so backward looking." Geske said he didn't have the votes to eliminate it from consideration, so he did not seek a vote.

The committee also tweaked smaller elements of the designs, changing some of the wording and placement of images. On two separate proposals they changed phrases of "The Arbor Day State" to "Home of Arbor Day" and "The Unicameral State" to "Home of the Unicameral."

Other proposed changes, such as removing the outline of the state on the Standing Bear quarter and adding "The Cornhusker State" to the Sower design were rejected.

The committee also is working on finalizing the descriptions of each design, which must be sent to the Mint by Sept. 30. The Mint will then create its own designs to send back to the state.

Once the official renderings are returned next year, Gov. Mike Johanns will pick the winner.

The commemorative quarter program began in 1999, with five new states released each year in the order in which they joined the union. Nebraska was the 37th state to join the union in 1867.

The state's quarter will be released in the spring of 2006.
Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

Another design shows Chief Standing Bear standing in front of an outline of the state with the state's motto "Equality Before the Law" on the top and "Chief Standing Bear" on the side.

This is my favorite.

We will probably get the covered wagon with "The Wasteland State" over the top.
Coyote
City Council

Nebraska's Quarter: "Dreadful"

Post by Coyote »

OWH wrote:Quarter design proposals 'dreadful'

LINCOLN - The Nebraska Quarter Design Committee sifted through 46 designs from U.S. Mint artists on Wednesday, expressing disappointment in the proposals as they sought to identify their favorites in each of four categories.

Committee members voiced unhappiness with the quality of the designs, particularly those depicting Chimney Rock and an Oregon Trail theme.

Nebraska Secretary of State John Gale said he felt compelled to apologize for some of the cartoonish designs, which he said failed to capture the reverence the committee wanted the state coin to express.

"It's a pretty poor capture of what I think is a rich history," Gale said of some of the Chimney Rock designs. Of the likeness of the Sower statue from the State Capitol, he said, "It's the grim reaper."

"As a whole, they're dreadful," agreed Norman Geske of Lincoln, retired director of the Sheldon Memorial Art Gallery.

Gordon Howard, the Chimney Rock historian from Bayard, urged committee members to look at the designs in the size of a quarter coin.

"Some look like they ought to be in a color book, but they look all right in that smaller form," Howard said.

The committee is to choose what it deems to be the best in four design concepts it previously identified - the State Capitol, Ponca Chief Standing Bear, Chimney Rock and the Sower.

The U.S. Mint will revise its drawings based on the committee's input.

Nebraska's governor will select a final design, probably in April, after the committee and the U.S. Treasury secretary approval a final four.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

TheOmahaChannel.com wrote: State Picks Final 4 Quarters
Quarter Design Committee Returns Finalist To U.S. Mint

LINCOLN, Neb. -- The state of Nebraska narrowed the choice to four Wednesday in the hunt for a state quarter design.

The state design committee had already chosen four themes from 6,500 entries. The finalists are Chief Standing Bear, the State Capitol, the sower that sits atop the Capitol building and Chimney Rock with a covered wagon.

"I think what we ended up with were designs pretty close to what we had originally anticipated," said Secretary of State John Gale.

Wednesday's task was to choose designs from the U.S. Mint, which were based on descriptions, images and photographs submitted in September.

Early in the day, design committee members chided proposals by artists from the U.S. Mint for Nebraska's commemorative quarter.

Gale said a rendition of the sower statue atop the Capitol building looked more like the grim reaper.

"Some angry engraver doesn't like Nebraska," committee member Tom Bassett said.

But after the full complement of designs was reviewed, the committee came away with designs they liked.

Jim McKee, with The Coinery, said all four designs portray a slice of the good life the state could be proud of.

"They represent part of Nebraska that people nationwide will recognize," McKee said.

The committee will return the four final designs to the Mint with recommendations of some minor changes. The governor will make the final decision in February, and by then, Lt. Gov. Dave Heineman will likely be in office. Gov. Mike Johanns is awaiting Senate approval to become the U.S. agriculture secretary.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The designs, from upper left, clockwise:
• A covered wagon heading west with Chimney Rock in the background. In the covered wagon are a woman and child, with a man walking beside it.
• The Sower statue, which appears on top of the Capitol, with the words "The Sower" to the left and "Home of Arbor Day" on the right.
• Chief Standing Bear in the center with the state's motto "Equality Before the Law" along the right curve of the coin and "Chief Standing Bear" around the left side.
• The Capitol with the words "Home of the Unicameral" to the left and "State Capitol" to the right.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

In my rankings, it goes sower, capital, chimney rock, and then standing bear.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

OmahaDevelopmentMan wrote:In my rankings, it goes sower, capital, chimney rock, and then standing bear.
seconded
DundeeDave
New to the Neighborhood

Post by DundeeDave »

My ranking: Sower, Chimney Rock, Standing Bear, then the Capitol. Every State has a Capitol building, what's the significance of Nebraska's?
DundeeDave ! Geaux Saints !
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Our is unique because of its height, architechture and its representation of the Unicameral. I think LA's state capitol (nation's tallest) is only a few feet taller, but I also consider it a sham because its just a decorative tower, not an actual occupied tower like ours.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I vote: Sower, Chief Standing Bear, Capitol, "People leaving Nebraska"
OmahaRules
Library Board

Post by OmahaRules »

I vote none! but if I must vote Sower, Capital, Chimney Rock, Standing Bear
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

jhuston wrote:I vote: Sower, Chief Standing Bear, Capitol, "People leaving Nebraska"
I'm with Jeff - if only the sower doesn't look so 'grim' and a little more 'masculine'.