Could Omaha host an auto plant?

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Do you want Omaha to have an auto plant?

Yes - It would be a nice addition to the economy!
93%
No - We don't need it and NIMBY!
7%

Total votes: 29

Zephyr
Human Relations

Could Omaha host an auto plant?

Post by Zephyr »

Do you remember back in 1992 when Omaha competed with Spartanburg, SC for BMW's first auto plant in the US?

I've been thinking about this lately, what are Omaha's chances today for landing such a plant.

What do you think about Omaha having an auto plant if another manufacturer comes up with a proposal? Where would be the best spot to locate such a large plant? And do you think this is something Omaha should be more proactive about?

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/13 ... tstory.jsp
Archives: BMW courtship long and rocky
Published on: 06/24/1992
By FRED MONK
Business Editor

For more than two years, the German automaker had been toying with several locations in Anderson County. State officials thought their efforts to land BMW had sewn up the auto plant.

Anderson County -- where the state had land to offer BMW -- was out. Spartanburg County was in. But the state had no sites pinned down in Spartanburg.

And Nebraska was breathing down South Carolina's neck in the BMW competition. There, Union Pacific railway had a site next to Omaha's airport it would give BMW.

Meanwhile, the project had been narrowed down to a handful of sites, including Anderson and Omaha, Neb. At that stage, Campbell and the State Development Board took charge of the project.

Nebraska also emerged as a strong competitor, offering more than $100 million in incentives to the automaker.

Among the incentives that Nebraska offered was financial help to offset the cost of air cargo, in addition to money for site acquisition, site preparation and worker training. The state also offered lower utility costs than South Carolina.

Power was also on the table. Nebraska's public electric utility allowed that state to offer BMW a sweet deal.
icejammer
County Board

Re: Could Omaha host an auto plant?

Post by icejammer »

Zephyr wrote:Where would be the best spot to locate such a large plant?
Obviously in Council Bluffs, with quick, easy access to both north-south and east-west interstates, rails and barge. A no-brainer! :wink:
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

There is a very viable rumor about this very topic in the Rumors section..

Check this out Eric (I don't know if you saw this thread):

http://www.eomaha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3846

Lets keep out fingers crossed..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

Obviously in Council Bluffs, with quick, easy access to both north-south and east-west interstates, rails and barge. A no-brainer.
With all the jobs it would bring to the metro, we should care less which part of the metro it comes to, as long as it comes.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I think by the airport is fine when it happens. I think this would be great for rural workers and draw lots of people to the city.
DTO
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

DTO Luv wrote:I think by the airport is fine when it happens. I think this would be great for rural workers and draw lots of people to the city.
Which Airport? The existing one or the "new" one between Omaha and Lincoln? :wink:
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

There's no room by the airport, unless you put it on the Iowa side.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

He means the Millard airport
15-17, 26, 32
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

So 'by the airport' must mean south of I-80 in Sarpy county, because there is even less room near Millard.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I meant by Eppley and there's plenty of room.
DTO
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

Toyota's North American plants consume 400 to 800 acres of land. Show me where on this map, this is going to fit? I'm not sure if there would even be this much space if they were to buy out Airlite Plastics, Nogg Paper, John Day, and others.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=41.316433,-9 ... 029826&t=k
Hawkeye
Home Owners Association

Post by Hawkeye »

Back in the mid-80s, Omaha Metro was also a finalist for the original Saturn assembly plant, which ultimately landed in Spring Hill, TN.

And in the early 90s, Mercedes included Omaha Metro in its final 6 for considration of its SUV plant. Again, that one didn't land here. But it proves the area is certainly looked upon as viable for this type of operation.
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Yeah, it would be tough to find space on the Nebraska side near Eppley. I wonder what parcel of land Union Pacific would have given up in 1992 near the airport - the Qwest Center area? What if that new connection was built accross the Missouri River to 680 - that would help with an Iowa location near Eppley.

And Lou, I didn't see that rumor post - thanks and I hope it happens!!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I know any plant would be good for the metro, but I'd rather see it in Omaha or Douglas County. I'd want us to have the money from it.
DTO
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

With all the GM plants closing around the country, I would think a ton of the former employees from those plants would fock to Omaha for those jobs. It would be key if we wanted to make a big push for the 2010 census.
Brad
City Council

Re: Could Omaha host an auto plant?

Post by Brad »

icejammer wrote:
Zephyr wrote:Where would be the best spot to locate such a large plant?
Obviously in Council Bluffs, with quick, easy access to both north-south and east-west interstates, rails and barge. A no-brainer! :wink:
I really don't think barge traffic will way in on a decision, its just too uncertian what the courts are going to do with the river.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

More rumors and speculation going on over here
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Brad wrote:More rumors and speculation going on over here
gee thanks
15-17, 26, 32
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr to all NIMBYs
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

I seriously do not believe that Omaha could support an auto plant. St. Paul struggles to keep their Ford plant open most of the time
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Well you could have stopped with 'Ford'.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Great Story about the BMW Plant on Grow Omaha this past weekend.  Rod Moseman, Senior Vice President of Economic Development for the Omaha Chamber was on and talked about about it.

http://www.kfab.com/media/podcast-grow- ... -24067348/
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Brad wrote:Great Story about the BMW Plant on Grow Omaha this past weekend.  Rod Moseman, Senior Vice President of Economic Development for the Omaha Chamber was on and talked about about it.

Don't have time to listen now, is there speculation of a new auto plant in Omaha?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Linkin5 wrote:
Brad wrote:Great Story about the BMW Plant on Grow Omaha this past weekend.  Rod Moseman, Senior Vice President of Economic Development for the Omaha Chamber was on and talked about about it.

Don't have time to listen now, is there speculation of a new auto plant in Omaha?
No.

Rod is retiring from the Chamber after 35 years and they were doing a "career in review" show.  Talked about BMW, Claas, Yahoo, Gallup, etc.  Very interesting show when you get time.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Brad wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:

No.

Rod is retiring from the Chamber after 35 years and they were doing a "career in review" show.  Talked about BMW, Claas, Yahoo, Gallup, etc.  Very interesting show when you get time.
I didn't listen to the whole thing.  Did he talk about Mercedes too?