General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Omaha Skyscrapers

Post by Coyote »

Following up on the American Skyline - I found an interesting website:
http://www.skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?c550

What is interesting is that since Omaha's first proclaimed skyscraper - The City National Bank built in 1910 - Omaha had only 8 more 'skyscrapers' until the UP and FNB buildings.
'Postcard Downtown Omaha' sure has changed recently.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

While it's true the skyline has changed dramatically recently... there have been more than 8 'skyscrapers' added since the City National Bank building.

While the definition remains subjective... the group which maintains skyscrapers.com defines a highrise (generally) as any building over 35 meters (~114 feet). Here's a link to the specific definition: http://www.emporis.com/en/ab/ds/sg/ra/bu/de/hi/

Furthermore... they define a skyscraper as merely a highrise constructed using (generally again) a framework (rather than relying on load bearing walls).

Given that... there are/were many other skyscrapers built in Omaha since the City National Bank building (not sure what you're counting... I'm leaving OUT those I think you counted) ... the Doubletree, Central Park Plaza 1/2, Farnam 1600 (First National Bank Building), Westbrook tower, Hill tower, 'old' UP headquarters, 2223 Dodge Building, the old Federal Building, The Woodman of the World (not the 2nd tallest... but the one destroyed), the Hotel Fontenelle (destroyed), the Medical Arts Building (destroyed) ... for example.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Actually, the old New York Life building, now known as the Omaha Building, is widely know to be Omaha's "first" skyscraper.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I guess its whose definition you use for skyscraper.
:roll:
City National Bank Building's listing in
"Building for the Ages: Omaha's Architectural Landmarks"
"Erected for the City National Bank, this was Omaha's first skyscraper.
At 16 stories, it signaled a new era in the commercial development of the city..."
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Well, the New York Life building certainly was Omaha's first highrise... but technically the City National Bank building was our first steel frame supported building... and that's what characterizes a 'skyscraper'.

Speaking of lost skyscrapers... there is a gorgeous panorama for sale at the framed art store at the Westroads (can't recall the name of the place... but it's over on the Galyan's side). I would have bought it... but it was a little out of my price range.

By the way Coyote... are you aware that StreetsofOmaha has several photographs in 'Building for the Ages' ? :)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That I did not know.
I have noticed that some people know the identity of others on this list.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Several of us had a 'forum meet' earlier last year. We'll likely schedule another one this spring.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Thanks for the promo, e!!

I'd love to have another forumer meeting. It would be great to see a lot of the new faces that have popped up here and at accessomaha.com recently!

My only thing would be that I'll be out of town from May 8 to 18 visiting fellow forumer Rob in D.C.!!!!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Well we'll just have to work around that timeframe then. Ideally Rob will be in town as well when we meet again.