Modifications to eOmahaForums

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Lookn Good D'Shawn!
Last edited by MTO on Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
15-17, 26, 32
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

omaproud wrote:Would someone please explain what went on/is going on with this forum? Maybe some believe this is none of our business("our" being members that aren't online everyday and members that don't know other members by name, only screen name),but I think some explaination is in order. I didn't think there was anything wrong with the old forum. We were told the forum was down because it was moving to new server, but then it took three weeks, and now there are hints here and there that there was some personality issues!!! We don't need a blow by blow, but some general explaination would be welcome. :?: Thanks
The inner circle of eOmaha had to move everything from a suburban server to a downtown server in the midle of the night after receiving death threats from DTO because of their support for the smoking ban. After realizing it was impossible to raise a forum in the city without an SUV, delays began piling up. The delay was exacerbated because although funding had been found for the server transfer, the city council failed to allocate enough funds for an independent server transfer oversight committee. Funding stalled due to a Mayoral veto. Currently, private funding is being sought for naming rights of the bri... er, forum... In the meantime, the forum has been dividied into three separate "information communities" - rumors, photos, and general whining.

Hope that helps. :)

-Big E
Stable genius.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Yup, it's all a conspiracy. :clap:
15-17, 26, 32
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

mchine73 wrote:Great to have the forum back! While I'm all for the new additions, I think one addition would be most beneficial. On Skyscraperpage.com's forums when there's a large photo only for that post do you have to scroll left/right while the rest remain aligned. I don't know if that made sense or how hard this would be. (I'm pretty computer illiterate.) Just one additional reccomendation that would greatly increase the navigability of the site.
I just added a modification that handles navigation a little better than the Skycraperpage format you mention. This mod prevents any image from breaking the layout. If a picture is too large for the layout it will resize that picture and place a clickable link on the image for a pop up of the original picture.

Other additions have been: now on the posting page the forum index page is listed above the Post a reply' line and the posting area has been increased for easier posting.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I don't think you should have the pictures resized at all. We don't normally post huge pictures in threads with lots of posts. When we do post them it's in the PHOTOGRAPHY section where they should be as big as we want.
DTO
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

If a picture is too large for the layout it will resize that picture and place a clickable link on the image for a pop up of the original picture
Sounds like a good modification.
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

How is it that people who don't even take pictures set the standards for those of us that do.

There's alot more people that come to this site to look at our pictures than there is to listen to a few of you |expletive| and moan about picture sizes. You already can block signature pictures. You don't have any reason to complain about the pictures we post.
DTO
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

listen to a few of you |expletive| and moan
you are including yourself in this group aren't you?    :roll:

Jimmy Buffett
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Admin wrote:
mchine73 wrote:Great to have the forum back!  While I'm all for the new additions, I think one addition would be most beneficial.  On Skyscraperpage.com's forums when there's a large photo only for that post do you have to scroll left/right while the rest remain aligned.  I don't know if that made sense or how hard this would be.  (I'm pretty computer illiterate.)  Just one additional reccomendation that would greatly increase the navigability of the site.
I just added a modification that handles navigation a little better than the Skycraperpage format you mention. This mod prevents any image from breaking the layout. If a picture is too large for the layout it will resize that picture and place a clickable link on the image for a pop up of the original picture.

Other additions have been: now on the posting page the forum index page is listed above the Post a reply' line and the posting area has been increased for easier posting.
Couple questions:
1. What is the maximum size of an image before it gets converted to a thumbnail?
2. Can the mod be disabled in the Photography forum?  It doesn't make sence to add a lot of extra clicks to view images in a photo gallery.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Can the mod be disabled in the Photography forum?  It doesn't make sence to add a lot of extra clicks to view images in a photo gallery.
That sounds like a very good compromise.

Jimmy Buffett
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

No. It's not about compromise. How often are pictures outside of the photography section, so big that it interferes with reading posts? Almost never. So drop it. When you go out and take time out of your day for a rewardless hobby maybe then you can have a say but you don't.
DTO
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

bradley414 wrote: Couple questions:
1. What is the maximum size of an image before it gets converted to a thumbnail?
2. Can the mod be disabled in the Photography forum?  It doesn't make sence to add a lot of extra clicks to view images in a photo gallery.
1. The Maximum size is determined by your own screen resolution. The format of the forum would remain static except when someone has an wide avatar that reduces the posting area. Most pictures will still be seen in their original form, those that are around 8 to 10 inches wide.

2. I can look into writing a mod that would disable this in the Photography section, but it could take a while to write it.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

then you can have a say but you don't.
gosh DTO  i thought this was an open forum to express our views --- or is it just acceptable to post if it agrees with your views.

Jimmy Buffett
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

There's no reason to waste your time doing it because it never happens outside of the photography section.
DTO
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Admin wrote:
bradley414 wrote: Couple questions:
1. The Maximum size is determined by your own screen resolution. The format of the forum would remain static except when someone has an wide avatar that reduces the posting area. Most pictures will still be seen in their original form, those that are around 8 to 10 inches wide.

2. I can look into writing a mod that would disable this in the Photography section, but it could take a while to write it.
Please don't feel like you have to do any extra work to accomodate me, I was looking for a quick compromise.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Make em bigger!!!   :banger:
15-17, 26, 32
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

DTO Luv wrote:There's no reason to waste your time doing it because it never happens outside of the photography section.
The Suburban and Urban forums have lots of photos in them.  I can see where some people wouldn't want to browse construction photos for news about upcoming buildings and establishments.

Personally, I really don't have a problem keeping my images to a size that are managable to everyone.  I want people to enjoy my pictures and not have to be frustrated with scrolling all over to see it as a whole.

Also, in threads that hold photographs from multiple people, or tons of photographs from a single person, it's easier and faster to scroll down and see comments left by others.  Because of the way the forum loads, you could click on the most recent post link and still get stuck halfway down the original picture post and have to scroll down to get to comments.

I am in favor of trying out the mod and see what effects if has before I further judge it.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Can't you limit image size in IE?  I don't use IE so I'm not sure but I'm assuming a lot you other forumers do.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

If there are a lot of photos in a thread that I have seen, I just hit the stop button.  The text loads first and the photos are last.  Then I can just read the text.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

If it is a indifference do to technical issues to view large picture threads then.... to put it nicely you need and upgrade.  :shrug:
15-17, 26, 32
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

to put it nicely you need and upgrade
you mean "need an upgrade"  to what?

I am not sure why the attacks came on this thread as all I did was say it sounded like a nice modification. I didn't set any standards or request any -- although I do like being able to shut off the signatures as seem to have gotten carried away with theirs -- but that is a personal choice right??

Personally I would rather click on a small thumbnail of a great photo to see it in a window all by itself than try to scroll around on my screen.

Jimmy Buffett
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

With this smooth action 360 scroll ball on my bluetoofas might mouse scrolling is a pleasure.
:yes:
15-17, 26, 32
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Get over yourself.

How do you speak for EVERY person that ever posts a picture.  I have a fairly serious photography Hobey and I have in fact posted a few pictures here.  This is not my primary place for posting photos because I am not taking a lot that people here would be interested in.  That doesn't make me any more or less of a photo enthusiast that you and I like seeing all the photos here.  I for one  like the modification.  My PC at home can handle about everything you throw at it but I am not always using that PC.  If the fact is that you do not like it go ahead and post your opinion but don't drag everyone else into it.  Weather you believe it or not not everyone is an idiot that doesn't share your opinion.  If you don't like it and can't express that tactfully then go start your on board.

DTO Luv wrote:How is it that people who don't even take pictures set the standards for those of us that do.

There's alot more people that come to this site to look at our pictures than there is to listen to a few of you |expletive| and moan about picture sizes. You already can block signature pictures. You don't have any reason to complain about the pictures we post.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

DTO Luv wrote:There's no reason to waste your time doing it because it never happens outside of the photography section.
It happens quite a bit... I read this often on my laptop and it doesn't take a whole lot to do it.  It'd be great if it were a per-user setting, but that depends on the mod, doesn't it?  

Big whoop if you have to click on a thumbnail.  Easier than downloading a meg of pictures on a slow connection that mess up text wrapping.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I think I do speak for a few of the regular photgraphers that post here. We're friends outside of the forum and have alot more say what goes on with this site then you might think. But the general feeling among us is leave the pictures alone.
DTO
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

have alot more say what goes on with this site then you might think
ah so that explains quite a bit --- instead of an open forum it has turned into a playground for some and everyone else is expected to follow or else.   :koko:

Jimmy Buffett
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Uffda, it's not like that at all.  Some of us let the power get to us, but some keep their profile down like me (well not anymore I guess :? ).  We're not supposed to be known, but there you go.  We try to keep this site as pro Omaha as possible and that's our only purpose here DTO Luv.  Don't let the power get to your head.  The "Admin" holds the true power.
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

Asten wrote:Big whoop if you have to click on a thumbnail.  Easier than downloading a meg of pictures on a slow connection that mess up text wrapping.
The point of the Mod - along with user screen resolution.
Let us try it out for a few weeks and see what we think.
For some people it will not affect the images what-so-ever.
For others - it will be a pleasure.
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

Avatar Gallery now includes Simpson characters.
An Avatar is the image you see on the left hand side of posts.
Go to your profile and on the bottom of the page click on show gallery.
If you have other suggestions for the gallery let me know.
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

A new Mod has just been added this evening. This Mod will leave all topics flagged unread even if you log out of the Forums.

You still can mark all Topics read from a specific Forum, and you can mark all Forums read from the Index Page.

This Mod also includes a new icon next to the 'quote' button which will "Mark the post as unread" and acts as a bookmark in case you want to revisit that post.
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

Apple Quicktime and Windows Media Player options are now available.
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

Pseudo- WYSIWYG posting options almost completed. Still a few bugs to work out.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Wow, all this new stuff is just amazing.  Thanks for investing so much time to make this a better a forum, whoever you are. :;):
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

The Omaha Forum Page will now automatically refresh itself every 60 seconds.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Awsome!

I ran downstairs to move the laundry and came back and it showed new posts.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

You don't have a girl friend brad?
15-17, 26, 32
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

I think all of us are single again. :yes:
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

Something is different that I don't particularly like - in firefox, typically you can middle click to open a link in a new tab.  In this forum (and this only - i use other phpbb forums), any action on a link, even a ctrl-click seems to use the same tab/window.  Very strange.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

With me firefox has been working the best as well.  Ive noticed lilttle bumps here and there.  Im sure eventually code will be updated for the browsers.
15-17, 26, 32
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

A spell checker has now been added. If you want to turn the automatic checker off you can do that in your profile.
For some people I hope you do not turn it off, you may learn something here.