Neighborhoods? Where is (was?) Dog Hollow?

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omababe
Planning Board

Neighborhoods? Where is (was?) Dog Hollow?

Post by Omababe »

I've lived here 30y now and I've never heard of this one until today. It's on the Wikipedia Omaha Neighborhood page, but it's a red link with no content.

I'm sure somebody here knows! :)
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Dog Hollow was an area adjacent to Brown Park in the old Czech neighborhood in South Omaha. I think it was just north of the park---it was a poor area surrounded by a better-off working-class area.  The homes were little more than glorified shacks ---at the bottom if a steep hill (probably built by the first wave of "Bohemian" immigrants in the 1880's)  I haven't been there in 30-plus years and I'd be surprised if these homes are still there.

Another interesting neighborhood is 'Goose Hollow', which is adjacent to St. Mary's Cemetery in South Omaha (it's in the old Lithuanian neighborhood directly to the south of the cemetery between 33rd and 36th).  It's name came from the geese that were raised in the back yards of many of the immigrant families until the 70's or so.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This is great info! Thanks Ricko. I asked my father (77 yo and delivered for Western Union in the Jobbers Canyon area in the 40's) and his wife (who grew up just south of present day Rosenblatt) about this and they had not heard of this neighborhood and I tried to find out more info but sorely failed.
sandy
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Neighborhoods? Where is (was?) Dog Hollow?

Post by sandy »

My Mom grew up in Dog Hollow, 16th and S. She went to Brown Park Elementary. My Grandparents had three green houses on a west facing hill. The terraces are still there. The houses are gone and squatters have moved in since I was last there. I remember the bittersweet trees/bushes.