The Omaha World Herald

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

jessep28
Planning Board

Re: The Omaha World Herald

Post by jessep28 »

It generally bothers me that Berkshire owns the two largest newspapers in Nebraska. If any legitimate story critical of the Buffetts, Berkshire or related entity materializes, it won't see the light of day, unless one of the TV outlets or other regional/national newspaper people actually pay attention to picks it up.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:
In other words, this isn't an example of entitlement so much as economic modeling.
Look at today's print issue of the Monday paper and count the big advertising ads. There are only about 15 of them in the whole paper. They might of once made a bunch of money off the ads but it sure don't look that way now. The money they get from subscriptions has to be a substantial portion of what little income they take in. If they are letting the moochers get the paper for free off the internet they are contributing to the destruction of what little source of revenue they have left.
Ok, let's start with the easiest. Monday is and always has been one of the least read papers. Thus advertisers don't put money into it. Thursday, Saturday and especially Sunday are the most read editions. Pretty much any first year media student knows this.
Next, subscriptions account for a tiny part of newspaper revenue. Advertising provides the lion's share. Thus, the reason for papers having specials that are very cheap.
Finally, As with facebook, twitter, etc., new media is free for the user in exchange for ad revenue. The "moochers" are part of the numbers shown to advertisers to justify ad rates.

It's simple economics these days. What Grandpa posits is logical to those who don't understand 21st century revenue and profit matrix's. Do you pay for google searches? Facebook? Twitter? Other web sites? No. You as a user are part of a huge number of users that trade free access in exchange for having ads on the web sites and those companies are wildly successful. The owh is very short sighted by limiting page views. Advertisers look at page views in determining if the ad rates per click are worth it. There is way more money in ads vs. subscriptions. Fact, not opinion. My company buys ads. We place value in clicks.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I have heard from a very good source within the World-Herald that the World-Herald is hurting right now. The World-Herald numbers are way off where they want them.

I see a lot of magazines that let you read their product online and it has the look of a magazine. I don't recall if its a pdf or some sort of internet plug in, but which ever it is, you see the full page exactly how its printed in the hard copy. I wonder if something similar would benefit the World-Herald. I notice the advertisements a lot more in the magazine look than I do on the traditional World-Herald online story.
where the corn meets the concrete
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

windsor wrote:I have heard from a very good source within the World-Herald that the World-Herald is hurting right now. The World-Herald numbers are way off where they want them.

I see a lot of magazines that let you read their product online and it has the look of a magazine. I don't recall if its a pdf or some sort of internet plug in, but which ever it is, you see the full page exactly how its printed in the hard copy. I wonder if something similar would benefit the World-Herald. I notice the advertisements a lot more in the magazine look than I do on the traditional World-Herald online story.

The OWH already has this. You get access to it as a seven day subscriber. You can subscribe seperatly also. The problem is that it cost more to subscribe to the e Version than the seven day print version. I think if you go to their web site subscription area you can see an sample of how it works.

I read it using the e paper over half the time. THe M- F get mostly read on glass and the print go straight to recycle. THe S and S I still read the print for the most part.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I just saw the digital only offer online. I don't like there's an account setup fee of $6. Plus I think $10 per month is decent, but a little steep. I think $5 per month would be better. That's the going rate for an online music station that I listen to. Plus they don't mention anything about whether or not you see ads when you're a subscriber. They should have a free web edition in which you're bombarded by ads, then $5 per month for no ads.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Another complaint about the OWH. Today they listed a story saying Rep Bacon will hold a town hall on Monday night but didn't give a date. Is it October 16? Or did they publish the article today when the event was held yesterday? I didn't see an announcement regarding the turn hall on the Congressman's website earlier today.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

daveoma wrote:Another complaint about the OWH. Today they listed a story saying Rep Bacon will hold a town hall on Monday night but didn't give a date. Is it October 16? Or did they publish the article today when the event was held yesterday? I didn't see an announcement regarding the turn hall on the Congressman's website earlier today.
I saw that too. Darn Fake News anyway!
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
daveoma wrote:Another complaint about the OWH. Today they listed a story saying Rep Bacon will hold a town hall on Monday night but didn't give a date. Is it October 16? Or did they publish the article today when the event was held yesterday? I didn't see an announcement regarding the turn hall on the Congressman's website earlier today.
I saw that too. Darn Fake News anyway!
Not necessarily fake news, just lazy news. Is it any wonder why they're in bed with Channel Third?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just got an email saying Sunday delivery plus full digital access for $1.50 per week.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:Just got an email saying Sunday delivery plus full digital access for $1.50 per week.
New subscriber package I think. Does it say how tong this price lasts?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Sounds like a pretty good deal.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I'd like to know why the World Herald felt it necessary to print an AP story, supposedly heartwarming, regarding the cleanup workers at the site of the keystone xl oil pipeline spill who took a break from cleaning up 1/4th of a toxic oil spill to have Thanksgiving dinner. What is their motivation for doing so? And why is their no context given to the fact that these workers deserve better than to work in a job that is inherently hazardous to their health? And who thought it was wise to print a story that doesn't mention the pipeline's contribution to artificially induced climate change? Did anybody stop and think how badly it looks to celebrate fact that these people work for a company who cruelly violated the sovereignty of the Standing Rock Sioux, on Thanksgiving--a day generally viewed as a day of mourning by most native Americans. While we're at it, why didn't the person who chose to print this article see the need to ask an obvious question that affects so many rural oil workers in the Great Plains: why are these workers working in dirty oil, when they could be working in wind and solar which are cheaper and cleaner?

I question the journalistic integrity of the World Herald, and their motives given such a decision made by an imbecile or someone who doesn't adequately understand the ENTIRE community which they so self-congratulatorily serve.

http://www.omaha.com/news/nation/worker ... c7f6e.html
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Don't know if the OWH has an agenda but it sure looks like you might.
daveoma wrote:I'd like to know why the World Herald felt it necessary to print an AP story, supposedly heartwarming, regarding the cleanup workers at the site of the keystone xl oil pipeline spill who took a break from cleaning up 1/4th of a toxic oil spill to have Thanksgiving dinner. What is their motivation for doing so? And why is their no context given to the fact that these workers deserve better than to work in a job that is inherently hazardous to their health? And who thought it was wise to print a story that doesn't mention the pipeline's contribution to artificially induced climate change? Did anybody stop and think how badly it looks to celebrate fact that these people work for a company who cruelly violated the sovereignty of the Standing Rock Sioux, on Thanksgiving--a day generally viewed as a day of mourning by most native Americans. While we're at it, why didn't the person who chose to print this article see the need to ask an obvious question that affects so many rural oil workers in the Great Plains: why are these workers working in dirty oil, when they could be working in wind and solar which are cheaper and cleaner?

I question the journalistic integrity of the World Herald, and their motives given such a decision made by an imbecile or someone who doesn't adequately understand the ENTIRE community which they so self-congratulatorily serve.

bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

nebugeater wrote:Don't know if the OWH has an agenda but it sure looks like you might.
daveoma wrote:I'd like to know why the World Herald felt it necessary to print an AP story, supposedly heartwarming, regarding the cleanup workers at the site of the keystone xl oil pipeline spill who took a break from cleaning up 1/4th of a toxic oil spill to have Thanksgiving dinner. What is their motivation for doing so? And why is their no context given to the fact that these workers deserve better than to work in a job that is inherently hazardous to their health? And who thought it was wise to print a story that doesn't mention the pipeline's contribution to artificially induced climate change? Did anybody stop and think how badly it looks to celebrate fact that these people work for a company who cruelly violated the sovereignty of the Standing Rock Sioux, on Thanksgiving--a day generally viewed as a day of mourning by most native Americans. While we're at it, why didn't the person who chose to print this article see the need to ask an obvious question that affects so many rural oil workers in the Great Plains: why are these workers working in dirty oil, when they could be working in wind and solar which are cheaper and cleaner?

Yep
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

bigredmed1 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:Don't know if the OWH has an agenda but it sure looks like you might.

Yep
Speaking out bias in a media outlet owned by a billionaire that dominates the market is not having an agenda--it's speaking truth to power.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

daveoma wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:

Yep
Speaking out bias in a media outlet owned by a billionaire that dominates the market is not having an agenda--it's speaking truth to power.
The Sovereignty of the Standing Rock Sioux was not violated as the KXL pipeline does not cross their reservation. Protestors of the KXL trashed their land. The garbage left behind had to be hauled away in semis and required front loaders to scrape it up.

Complaining that a leftist billionaire didn't cover that would be a better example of "speaking truth to power" as the point of doing that is to challenge the settled narrative. The left hated the KXL. Buffett profited immensely from the obstructionist protests of the left. Note that his newspaper gave favorable coverage to the protestors and didn't really cover the ecologic mess they caused. Want to call people out and "speak truth to power", first find the power (as in who is making bank off this?).
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

bigredmed1 wrote:
daveoma wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:

Yep
The Sovereignty of the Standing Rock Sioux was not violated as the KXL pipeline does not cross their reservation. Protestors of the KXL trashed their land. The garbage left behind had to be hauled away in semis and required front loaders to scrape it up.

Complaining that a leftist billionaire didn't cover that would be a better example of "speaking truth to power" as the point of doing that is to challenge the settled narrative. The left hated the KXL. Buffett profited immensely from the obstructionist protests of the left. Note that his newspaper gave favorable coverage to the protestors and didn't really cover the ecologic mess they caused. Want to call people out and "speak truth to power", first find the power (as in who is making bank off this?).
1. The pipeline was laid on land that is claimed by the standing Rock Sioux and is in dispute. This property was immediately upstream, not dozens of miles away but immediately adjacent to the reservation. Any oil spills that occur in the Missouri River will directly affect the Standing Rock Sioux first and worst

2. An oil spill is much more damaging to the environment than litter.

3. The Standing Rock cleaned up before the militarized police forced them out:.

4. Buffet might speak like a liberal, but he acts and invests like an old billionaire. And I do not believe the World Herald gave altogether favorable coverage to the protestors. If that was the case, they would've called them who they really are: water protectors.

:laser:
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

daveoma wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
daveoma wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:

Yep

1. The pipeline was laid on land that is claimed by the standing Rock Sioux and is in dispute. This property was immediately upstream, not dozens of miles away but immediately adjacent to the reservation. Any oil spills that occur in the Missouri River will directly affect the Standing Rock Sioux first and worst

2. An oil spill is much more damaging to the environment than litter.

3. The Standing Rock cleaned up before the militarized police forced them out:.

4. Buffet might speak like a liberal, but he acts and invests like an old billionaire. And I do not believe the World Herald gave altogether favorable coverage to the protestors. If that was the case, they would've called them who they really are: water protectors.

:laser:
100% Accurate
#gohawks
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Does anyone else have issues with spammy pages opening up from OWH website. For example a page that opens and says "We have your location, your computer has a virus, etc."
#gohawks
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

The world herald is a member of the AP. Without the AP many if not most newspapers would be 2-4 pages. The AP serves the purpose of providing national stories and regional stories so that newspapers don't have to send reporters around the country. You don't have to like the stories the owh chooses to print and certainly I have my share of complaints about AP stories but now you have a bit more understanding of why it is and how it works.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

buildomaha wrote:Does anyone else have issues with spammy pages opening up from OWH website. For example a page that opens and says "We have your location, your computer has a virus, etc."
I have had it happen numerous times. Only way I've gotten rid of it is to restart my laptop. Occasionally happens on some pages I follow on Facebook, but not near as often as the OWH website. What's funny is they just reported it happening on other web pages, never mentioned their own!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

debradomayer wrote:
buildomaha wrote:Does anyone else have issues with spammy pages opening up from OWH website. For example a page that opens and says "We have your location, your computer has a virus, etc."
I have had it happen numerous times. Only way I've gotten rid of it is to restart my laptop. Occasionally happens on some pages I follow on Facebook, but not near as often as the OWH website. What's funny is they just reported it happening on other web pages, never mentioned their own!

I visit the OWH web site a lot. From multiple computers and browsers. have the say that is one site I have never had that happen on.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

So if I understand the new subscription model. There is no article limit, but if you are not a subscriber you have zero access to their "special" content such as columnists and news specifically breaking in the paper.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

iamjacobm wrote:So if I understand the new subscription model. There is no article limit, but if you are not a subscriber you have zero access to their "special" content such as columnists and news specifically breaking in the paper.

That may be, as I read it it doesn't specify one way or another. What I do read into the update though as a non subscriber or of you are not logged in you will be hit with those Multiple choice survey questions before you can see most of the story. I believe the Lincoln Journal does these.
Non-subscribers can continue to enjoy most of The World-Herald’s content. Non-subscribers will be asked to participate in surveys from sponsors periodically. Along with subscriptions, surveys and advertising help our business earn the revenue needed to produce indispensable journalism in our community.
http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/world-h ... ab290.html
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

So basically the OWH finally realized that the paywall wasn't working, so they switched to a survey wall and are giving subscribers a bunch of relatively worthless added features?
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

jessep28 wrote:So basically the OWH finally realized that the paywall wasn't working, so they switched to a survey wall and are giving subscribers a bunch of relatively worthless added features?
As a paying subscriber I would say the new version appears to be much better. You log on to the site and now there are no pop ups or B.S. or nothing. Its peaceful and nice.......Not that I read the paper on the net ever anyway.

.........Tell you one thing that has to be a major blow to the World Heralds advertising income. As of January 1rst Hy-Vee stopped running their weekly ad in the paper and switched to mailing out the ad. :shock: No way can that be good that the major grocery store in the area has abandoned the ship.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Bulk mail may have given them a better rate, or there were cost savings on the distribution side. The likelihood of someone reading a HyVee ad may be higher via mail than direct-to-trash advertising, aka Food Express.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

If you're determined and don't mind HTML tags, you can view the premium article's source code and the article text is buried in there.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

jessep28 wrote:Bulk mail may have given them a better rate, or there were cost savings on the distribution side. The likelihood of someone reading a HyVee ad may be higher via mail than direct-to-trash advertising, aka Food Express.
That and the image quality is better and the text is clearer so you tell what is on sale vs what is on sale only with the loyalty card.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The newspaper laid off a several staff members, and is making changes to the printed edition to account for the shift towards online consumption.

http://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/omah ... abd38.html
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

jessep28 wrote:The newspaper laid off a several staff members, and is making changes to the printed edition to account for the shift towards online consumption
Thats a bunch of nonsense. One of the main reasons they are losing print consumption is because todays entitlement society is stealing it off the net. We have seen reports of that from guys right here in this forum. Even people who have money are stealing it and just reading what they can for free. Behind this latest article is the truth which is The World Herald is close to being out of business. Fact is they already are out of business they just have not admitted it yet.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Behind this latest article is the truth which is The World Herald is close to being out of business. Fact is they already are out of business they just have not admitted it yet.
Open question: Is Uncle Warren going to ride this into the ground like Slim Pickens in Strangelove or bundle his media and sell it to some schmuck who thinks he can outsmart the Oracle Of Omaha(TM)?
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

damonhynes wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Behind this latest article is the truth which is The World Herald is close to being out of business. Fact is they already are out of business they just have not admitted it yet.
Open question: Is Uncle Warren going to ride this into the ground like Slim Pickens in Strangelove or bundle his media and sell it to some schmuck who thinks he can outsmart the Oracle Of Omaha(TM)?
That is a good question.....you are most likely right.....he starts selling the city newspapers off in bundles and maybe the World Herald ends up in one of the bundles and hes free of it.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Back when this forum started in 2004 I probably said some stupid things. It didn't take long before the Omaha World Herald told Jeff that users are not allowed to post the entire article, only small quotes with a link back to the story. Without going back and looking, I'm guessing that the college aged Brad probably said the OWH was stupid or something long those lines.

Fast forward to 2018, and I have a lot of respect for the Omaha World Herald and they job they are trying to do in this crazy day and age. Over the past 14 years I have met a lot of the reporters, beat-writers, and photographers from the Omaha World Herald. Every single one of them is a hard working, intelligent, college educated professional that put in a ton of hours, 7 days a week. They all bring a great deal of respect with them for the Art/Career/Industry that is Journalism. The reporters dig deep and put out the best stories in town. The beat writers develop great relationships earn the respect of the people they cover. The Award winning photographers actually respect the art that is photography and put a quality product out every single time they show up for work.

I find the collapse of the newspaper industry very troubling. They can blame it on the internet, kind of like the old school restaurants blamed the casinos or the retailers blame amazon, but I really think its much deeper than that. We are in a day and age where more people care about who the Kardashian's are dating, what funny thing I can do to my face on Snap Chat, or what show I am binge watching on netflix. There are too many people that can tell you everything about the Lord of the Rings, but can't tell you who their elected representatives are. People that can tell you how much money Star Wars made at the box office last weekend, but don't have a clue how much money is in their checking account.

I hope it hits a tipping point soon and people get back wanting quality journalism from trusted, reputable sources. I hope more people start to crave information and not attention. I hope more people do thing that make them a better person or the world a better place.

I feel bad for the people I have met over the years at the Omaha World Herald. My industry went through rough times back in 2008 - 2010 and its not fun. We had almost a 50% reduction in staff through both layoffs and attrition. Its a really bad feeling going in to work and finding out your friends no longer have jobs. I hope they can right the ship soon and put this times behind them soon.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

jessep28 wrote:The newspaper laid off a several staff members, and is making changes to the printed edition to account for the shift towards online consumption.

http://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/omah ... abd38.html
Columnist Brad Dickson & overnite crime/police writer & photographer Emerson Claridge both were let go. Sad to lose them, I liked their work
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

I really like their new online model.

As a weekend subscriber it's only $1/mo to add. The ads are toned down significantly. You can share access with 2 people.

I think they could do well to push the weekend+online model. I never have time to read the whole paper on a week day so it feels like too much of a waste.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Brad wrote:I find the collapse of the newspaper industry very troubling. They can blame it on the internet, kind of like the old school restaurants blamed the casinos or the retailers blame amazon, but I really think its much deeper than that. We are in a day and age where more people care about who the Kardashian's are dating, what funny thing I can do to my face on Snap Chat, or what show I am binge watching on netflix. There are too many people that can tell you everything about the Lord of the Rings, but can't tell you who their elected representatives are. People that can tell you how much money Star Wars made at the box office last weekend, but don't have a clue how much money is in their checking account.

I hope it hits a tipping point soon and people get back wanting quality journalism from trusted, reputable sources. I hope more people start to crave information and not attention. I hope more people do thing that make them a better person or the world a better place.

:clap: Great post. Telling it like it is.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Dundeemaha wrote:I really like their new online model.
I’m an online Susbriber Plus W-H member and I like the new online model too.. And basically $19 a month is a small price to pay for quality local daily online content and added features.. You only pay $0.99 cents for the 1st month when you join...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Dundeemaha wrote:I really like their new online model.
I’m an online Susbriber Plus W-H member and I like the new online model too.. And basically $19 a month is a small price to pay for quality local daily online content and added features.. You only pay $0.99 cents for the 1st month when you join...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I've been an online subscriber for a while now. And I ended up getting the $0.99 deal twice because my card expired and had to re-signup.