Re: The Omaha World Herald

Post by Garrett »

The new mobile site is terrible.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Garrett wrote:The new mobile site is terrible.
I don't notice a difference, when was their mobile site upgraded?
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Coyote wrote:
Garrett wrote:The new mobile site is terrible.
I don't notice a difference, when was their mobile site upgraded?
The one I get on Chrome on my iPhone is definitely different.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I've noticed the desktop version is a little glitchy. It looks mostly the same, but there are some subtle changes.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Looks like no access to any story over seven days old unless you have an ePaper subscription. If there is away without it I have not found it yet.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:Looks like no access to any story over seven days old unless you have an ePaper subscription.  If there is away without it I have not found it yet.
I think it has been moving in this direction for a while, but a week is really pushing it.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

nebugeater wrote:Looks like no access to any story over seven days old unless you have an ePaper subscription.  If there is away without it I have not found it yet.
I was wondering why a lot of pictures were disappearing and some OWH links weren't working on the forum. I guess that solves it.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

THe message I posted from the weekend stated that There would be another email to follow. I never received that. Can you believe that from the OWH
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

Every time I try to access their site from my desktop at work it takes forever to load. I have pretty much given up on them for my local news. I never bother on my phone, it's just too painful.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like they updated their pay wall. I went months of viewing it without a single mention of subscription and just now hit my limit under the new system.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

iamjacobm wrote:Looks like they updated their pay wall.  I went months of viewing it without a single mention of subscription and just now hit my limit under the new system.
Do you do something like Incognito mode in Chrome?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Looks like they updated their pay wall.  I went months of viewing it without a single mention of subscription and just now hit my limit under the new system.
Do you do something like Incognito mode in Chrome?
Nope, basic safari and never hit the pay wall for I am not sure how long. I kind of assumed the site was being buggy or something b/c I click on articles all the time.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Unless they are doing some fancy tracking by IP address, browser signature or something like that, it will probably be cookies like the old system and easily foiled by using private browsing mode. I have yet to run into a paywall message yet.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

jessep28 wrote:Unless they are doing some fancy tracking by IP address, browser signature or something like that, it will probably be cookies like the old system and easily foiled by using private browsing mode. I have yet to run into a paywall message yet.
Well I sure hope so. I haven't seen one yet and I always go to their site incognito. So hopefully I can continue doing so.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

So is this OWH headline an over site or just a warped sense of humor? Once could take the headline as saying the guy didn't make it.

Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

They finally added an online only subscription.... for $25/month.
At my address it would cost me $19.28 for 7 day paper delivery + full online access
Or 17.53 for Mon-Fri delivery and full online access

But for some reason it costs $5-7.50 more per month to *pay* them not to deliver it on dead trees.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Dundeemaha wrote:They finally added an online only subscription.... for $25/month.
At my address it would cost me $19.28 for 7 day paper delivery + full online access

But for some reason it costs $5-7.50 more per month to *pay* them not to deliver it on dead trees.
Yeah I agree, that is crazy. I get the daily paper and I would think that they would let you access the online stories free of charge with a paid subsciption, but that is not the case.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Dundeemaha wrote:They finally added an online only subscription.... for $25/month.

Yeah I agree, that is crazy.  I get the daily paper and I would think that they would let you access the online stories free of charge with a paid subsciption, but that is not the case.
I thought if you had a subscription you had access to everything over a week old (that hasn't been deleted yet)
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I will have to check to see if that is still true. I know when I signed up the subscription a few months ago, it gave me access to online. After about a week they sent me an email that stated I shouldn't have had access to it and if I wanted it, I would have to pay the online subscription fee.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I have a seven day subscription and have had access to the ePaper since it came about. I look at it two or three times a week and have not had an issue yet.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

nebugeater wrote:I have a seven day subscription and have had access to the ePaper since it came about.  I look at it two or three times a week and have not had an issue yet.
Do you have to log in and create an account to have access? When I purchased the subscription to the regular paper online, it had prices listed to become an all-access member. Is that different than the e-paper?
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

skinzfan23 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:I have a seven day subscription and have had access to the ePaper since it came about.  I look at it two or three times a week and have not had an issue yet.
Do you have to log in and create an account to have access?  When I purchased the subscription to the regular paper online, it had prices listed to become an all-access member.  Is that different than the e-paper?
All-access is unlimited OWH content on Omaha.com and the e-paper. Apparently current sevel day subscribers now have to pay an extra $7 a month to get online access. There never used to be an additional fee for those subscribers.

http://www.omaha.com/site/services/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Do you have to log in and create an account to have access?  When I purchased the subscription to the regular paper online, it had prices listed to become an all-access member.  Is that different than the e-paper?

There is a log in for the ePaper. I set it up along time ago. The E paper is different than the on line content only. It is the entire paper in visual form where you can click on any story and bring it up to read it. It is searchable too.
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

Every time I run into a paywall on omaha.com, I just clear out my browser history and cookies. Just seems odd...wouldn't advertisers on omaha.com have an issue with site visitors running into these things?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

nebugeater wrote:So is this OWH headline an over site or just a warped sense of humor? Once could take the headline as saying the guy didn't make it.

Saying someone is in Grave condition means that they died, but the reporter can't officially confirm it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yes, but the unfortunate play on words is pretty distasteful:
Grave (n): a burial place
Grave (adj): very serious; dangerous to life - used of an illness of its prospects.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Apparently they have an internet radio show.

http://www.omaha.com/bottomline/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

jessep28 wrote:Apparently they have an internet radio show.

IT has been on since March and was announced in Late Jan or Early Feb when Mikel Severe left 1620 to host the show. I can say to date I have yet to listen to any of it.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

nebugeater wrote:

IT has been on since March and was announced in Late Jan or Early Feb when Mikel Severe left 1620 to host the show.  I can say to date I have yet to listen to any of it.
They had a widget on Omaha.com which auto played. That's how I discovered the show.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

jessep28 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

IT has been on since March and was announced in Late Jan or Early Feb when Mikel Severe left 1620 to host the show.  I can say to date I have yet to listen to any of it.
They had a widget on Omaha.com which auto played. That's how I discovered the show.

Must be part of their new improved web site. :roll:

I am on their site early in the AM and not when the show is on so I have not had that happen
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yes Mike'l Severe left 1620 just to launch this. I haven't seen how this net cast ratings has compared to terrestrial ratings though. It was OWH's pioneering venture...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The OWH's cafeteria is getting a $100 k makeover. Anyone had lunch here recently?
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Coyote wrote:The OWH's cafeteria is getting a $100 k makeover. Anyone had lunch here recently?
Is it open to the public. At just a block from me, I could use a new place to try out.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The OWH reporting on its own story?

OPPD set to vote on new leader after secret selection process; World-Herald weighs lawsuit
Omaha World Herald wrote:The World-Herald maintains that the selection process skirted a Nebraska open meetings law intended to invite public participation. And the newspaper's position is that OPPD is obligated to release information about the final four candidates under the Nebraska open records law.

As a result, The World-Herald is considering legal action against OPPD's secrecy. Editors and attorneys are investigating whether the agency violated Nebraska's open meetings and open records statutes.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Coyote wrote:The OWH reporting on its own story?

OPPD set to vote on new leader after secret selection process; World-Herald weighs lawsuit
Omaha World Herald wrote:The World-Herald maintains that the selection process skirted a Nebraska open meetings law intended to invite public participation. And the newspaper's position is that OPPD is obligated to release information about the final four candidates under the Nebraska open records law.

As a result, The World-Herald is considering legal action against OPPD's secrecy. Editors and attorneys are investigating whether the agency violated Nebraska's open meetings and open records statutes.
Well, there's not much legitimate competition to report it...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Lol, the Omaha World-Herald sure seems pretty smug about standing up to OPPD.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

jessep28 wrote:Lol, the Omaha World-Herald sure seems pretty smug about standing up to OPPD.
There is a famous story about when Warren Buffett bought the Omaha Sun Newspaper back in the 1970's and Boys Town got on his bad side and he went after them and nailed them to the wall. When OPPD saw that the World Herald was coming after them they would of been fools not to take it very serious!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

I know an accountant for Boys town. I feel bad for them in a way. They were blasted by Buffet for their active fundraising even though they are sitting on a big endowment. Problem is that a large fraction of their endowment is purposes directed. Like the cash they manage for the possibility that a BT grad could get accepted to Notre Dame and then get into their law school. Funds exist to help with law school tuition. No takers so far. Their actual endowment that supports their programs is actually a lot smaller than their published gross. That part never got into the Buffet piece.