Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

At least this is encouraging!

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I for one thing the photo is fine and not misleading.  If you don't OK, but no one has answered my question from my first post on this, what should they have used for a photo?  A serious response please.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:At least this is encouraging!

Why do people take the time to vote and then vote I DON'T KNOW ???
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

nebugeater wrote:I for one thing the photo is fine and not misleading.  If you don't OK, but no one has answered my question from my first post on this, what should they have used for a photo?  A serious response please.
Why not a photo of Suttle?  Or Suttle, Fahey, and Daub? Or a police union meeting?  Or the superintendents of our four public school districts?

The current photo is an implication that the debt is the fault of the stadium, when in fact it is an accumulation of decades of poor fiscal management due to reactionary |expletive|-kissing of narrow-minded voters.
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Big E wrote:
nebugeater wrote:I for one thing the photo is fine and not misleading.  If you don't OK, but no one has answered my question from my first post on this, what should they have used for a photo?  A serious response please.
Why not a photo of Suttle?  Or Suttle, Fahey, and Daub? Or a police union meeting?  Or the superintendents of our four public school districts?

The current photo is an implication that the debt is the fault of the stadium, when in fact it is an accumulation of decades of poor fiscal management due to reactionary |expletive|-kissing of narrow-minded voters.
I've missed you. :)
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Hugs all around, y'all.
Stable genius.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Day Glo Neon Grass! I wonder if it'll really be that bright? One can only hope.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Big E wrote:

I am OK with those too.  My point is that there is nothing wrong with this selection.  It fits the artical
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

nebugeater wrote:I am OK with those too.  My point is that there is nothing wrong with this selection.  It fits the artical
But it is just one more example of typical leading "journalism" coming out of the OWH.  That's the point we're making.  

If you're writing an article about how the city is in debt and you're outlining the nearly endless list of reasons why, there are 1000 better choices for an accompanying photograph... unless you're trying to arouse a specific reaction.  The photo is as important as the headline (which I think is actually very appropriate to the article).

They could write a different article about inevitable property tax increases, with two different headlines:

1) "Budget Shortfall; Tax Hike Inevitable"

or

2) "Suttle to Raise Taxes; Break Campaign Promise"

Both accurate.  Exact same article.  Guess which one leads the reader before they even get to the article?

It's shoddy journalism, and I'm tired of them being our only major print news source.
Stable genius.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Big E wrote:
nebugeater wrote:I am OK with those too.  My point is that there is nothing wrong with this selection.  It fits the artical
But it is just one more example of typical leading "journalism" coming out of the OWH.  That's the point we're making.  

If you're writing an article about how the city is in debt and you're outlining the nearly endless list of reasons why, there are 1000 better choices for an accompanying photograph... unless you're trying to arouse a specific reaction.  The photo is as important as the headline (which I think is actually very appropriate to the article).

They could write a different article about inevitable property tax increases, with two different headlines:

or

Both accurate.  Exact same article.  Guess which one leads the reader before they even get to the article?

It's shoddy journalism, and I'm tired of them being our only major print news source.

Put so eloquently, i couldn't think of anything better myself.
Go Cubs Go
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Big E wrote:

or

And all OK esp since they fit your agenda.  They are no more accurate or more specifically inaccurate than what was chosen.  It all depends upon what YOUR belief is.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

No, it isn't OK.

Or, at least very least, it is not OK if you want to present yourself as an unbiased news source.

ME having an agenda is fine.  YOU having an agenda is fine.  Editorials having agendas is fine, and I encourage that, especially when both sides are given equal time and the editorials are presented as such.

The only major print news outlet in Omaha having an agenda is not (at least in my book - I guess some people just don't give a |expletive|).  And they do this over and over and over.  Not calling the Qwest Center the Qwest Center should be enough proof alone to prove that is a childish organization.  All this other stuff is just icing on the cake.

I've pretty much stopped reading the OWH except for sports coverage.
Stable genius.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Big E wrote:No, it isn't OK.

Or, at least very least, it is not OK if you want to present yourself as an unbiased news source.

ME having an agenda is fine.  YOU having an agenda is fine.  Editorials having agendas is fine, and I encourage that, especially when both sides are given equal time and the editorials are presented as such.

The only major print news outlet in Omaha having an agenda is not (at least in my book - I guess some people just don't give a |expletive|).  And they do this over and over and over.  Not calling the Qwest Center the Qwest Center should be enough proof alone to prove that is a childish organization.  All this other stuff is just icing on the cake.

If they don't call the Qwest Center the "Qwest Center" then what do they call it? I agree though, it's a very low brow move.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Bosco55David wrote:
Big E wrote:No, it isn't OK.

If they don't call the Qwest Center the "Qwest Center" then what do they call it? I agree though, it's a very low brow move.

For the first year or so they would not use the word Qwest.  They got over it but I agree it was horse |expletive|.
greenbuilder
Home Owners Association

Post by greenbuilder »

They should use that photo!!! Its just one more money pit for the city!!! We had this stadium forced on us and we will be forced to pay on it for years. Our society has no concept of living with-in there means. Not Spending Money That You Don't Have!!!!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I wish Suttle would impose a tax on unnecessary online exclamation points and mid-sentence caps.

That and every time someone uses the wrong form of "there", "their" and "they're".
Stable genius.
greenbuilder
Home Owners Association

Post by greenbuilder »

BIG DEAL !!!!!!! THERE
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

LOL
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I say do it. WOuldn't that be half of this years budget shortfall?
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

LOL... have fun being the elected official that tries to get the OWH to pay taxes.

What the heck is the reasoning behind not taxing a newspaper?
Stable genius.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Because of 1776...taxation without representation...minute men...the English....Boston Tea Party...

I've got no clue, I'm pulling |expletive| out of my |expletive|.
Go Cubs Go
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Big E wrote:LOL... have fun being the elected official that tries to get the OWH to pay taxes.

What the heck is the reasoning behind not taxing a newspaper?
Um, probably for the very reason mentioned in your post.  Government is all about power, taking from those it is popular to take from and giving to as many people as you possibly can.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Go ahead and tax them just don't be shocked when they declare bankruptcy. After seeing all these other news papers that have gone out of business I am just glad the World Herald is still here. I would rather try and keep them around instead of trying to change the tax law against them.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

MTO wrote:Go ahead and tax them just don't be shocked when they declare bankruptcy. After seeing all these other news papers that have gone out of business I am just glad the World Herald is still here. I would rather try and keep them around instead of trying to change the tax law against them.
Maybe we could use that as a bargaining chip.

"Start producing a decent newspaper or be prepared to pay the taxes!"
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

Has anyone SEEN the newspaper recently?  There is barely anything left to it!  I am assuming they cut it down because of costs.  So one could logically assume if they take on more losses there is a good chance circulation would end.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Honestly I couldn't tell you the last time I bought the paper. I have also not been to their site nearly as much since it's become that ugly clusterfck of randomness.
DTO
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Bosco55David wrote:
MTO wrote:Go ahead and tax them just don't be shocked when they declare bankruptcy. After seeing all these other news papers that have gone out of business I am just glad the World Herald is still here. I would rather try and keep them around instead of trying to change the tax law against them.
Maybe we could use that as a bargaining chip.

"Start producing a decent newspaper or be prepared to pay the taxes!"
I think they're already getting the message about the quality of their paper.  They're just ignoring it, or won't face the reality of their dwindling readership.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

What kind of poll is this....
On the main page of omaha.com, the OWH wrote:Back to school
Kids have started to return to school. What do you think?

Yay!
Boo!
No opinion
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I saw that and thought it was stupid too. But it's nice to see that when it comes to children that the OWH is pro-choices. :)
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Does the OWH only do the news every 3 days now? They have the exact same stories that aren't the front page one in all of their subsections. Can they not afford to write about current events anymore?
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was thinking the same thing!

Clunkers
Huskers
Health Care
Huskers Huskers
Clunkers
Health Care
Huskers
Clunkers
Hot weather takes a vacation?
Clunkers
Huskers
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Brad wrote:I was thinking the same thing!

Clunkers
Huskers
Health Care
Mayor
Huskers Huskers
Clunkers
Health Care
Huskers
Mayor
Clunkers
Clunkers
Huskers
Mayor
FTFY
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bradley414 wrote:FTFY
Fixed that for you?  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=FTFY
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Brad wrote:
bradley414 wrote:FTFY
Fixed that for you?  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=FTFY
Yeah, I added "mayor" every 4th or 5th line, since that is one of the stories the OWH has in it's monotonous cycle.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Good Point.  Probably could have added pension/police/fire too but we all get the point.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm not even talking about new angles on the same stories. The exact same articles will be up there and they say it's new when it's days old.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brad wrote:I was thinking the same thing!

Clunkers
Huskers
Health Care
Huskers Huskers
Clunkers
Health Care
Huskers
Clunkers
Clunkers
Huskers
I was just thinking, change Huskers to Lingerie and Health Care to Urban/Suburban and you have eomaha anymore...

:arg:  :banghead:  :arg:  :banghead:  :arg:  :banghead:  :arg:  :banghead:  :arg:  :banghead:  :arg:  :banghead:  :arg:  :banghead:  :arg:  :banghead:  :arg:  :banghead:  :arg:  :banghead:
:arg:  :banghead:  :arg:  :banghead:  :arg:  :banghead:  :arg:  :banghead:  :arg:  :banghead:  :arg:  :banghead:  :arg:  :banghead:  :arg:  :banghead:  :arg:  :banghead:  :arg:  :banghead:
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Brad wrote: I was just thinking, change Huskers to Lingerie and Health Care to Urban/Suburban and you have eomaha anymore...

Your wisdom is without fail, great Eomaha Oracle that you are...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wisdom... you the smart one!
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

The World Herald must also be exempt from copyright laws. Go to the metro/region webpage this morning and look at the aerial they are using for the NTK (need to know) section. It's one I posted on here with a ballpark in Heartland of America park, total hack job in paint. The picture isn't the only hack job around.

Link

http://www.omaha.com/section/NEWS01