The Omaha World Herald

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: The Omaha World Herald

Post by Coyote »

Omaha World Herald wrote:Notice from the World-Herald circulation staff: Because of weather conditions, Omaha.com and the ePaper are free today.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Lol, that will probably still count against their free article limit. Free users who don't know how to clear cookies or use private browsing mode will be locked out for the month when OWH turns the paywall back on.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

jessep28 wrote:Lol, that will probably still count against their free article limit. Free users who don't know how to clear cookies or use private browsing mode will be locked out for the month when OWH turns the paywall back on.
That was my first thought also. I didn't want to use up all of February's free looks on a Monday's edition.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

There are lots of articles about what to look forward to in 2015 from yesterday's edition.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Coyote wrote:
jessep28 wrote:Lol, that will probably still count against their free article limit. Free users who don't know how to clear cookies or use private browsing mode will be locked out for the month when OWH turns the paywall back on.
That was my first thought also. I didn't want to use up all of February's free looks on a Monday's edition.
I use Google Chrome all the time and if you switch to an incognito window, it doesn't count.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

But that doesn't get you the ePaper
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Did OWH break this Brian Williams story? It seems like they did, just want to make sure.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

iamjacobm wrote:Did OWH break this Brian Williams story? It seems like they did, just want to make sure.
The story was broke by a reporter for the military magazine Stars and Stripes.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The paper either for Sunday or Monday ran a story on Buffett's grandfather supposedly being identified in a Durham Museum collection photograph. A few days ago, they ran a fluff piece about the dude who bought Buffett's old car in a charity auction. It could all be a coincidence, but the cynic in me thinks that since Berkshire owns the OWH, there might be Berkshire/Buffett PR pieces being disguised as news articles.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Or somebody brown nosing...
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

The front page article in the Sunday edition of the paper was promoting the new World Herald rewards program for 7 day a week subscribers. It told how you could download an app and receive discounts at over 250 local businesses. Funny thing was that here was a big front page article encouraging people to subscribe so they would get discounts but not one single business was mentioned. Not one single benefit or discount was mentioned. And when I checked the web site no mention was made there of the participating businesses. Talk about poorly written articles with only half the information! :grr:
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:The front page article in the Sunday edition of the paper was promoting the new World Herald rewards program for 7 day a week subscribers. It told how you could download an app and receive discounts at over 250 local businesses. Funny thing was that here was a big front page article encouraging people to subscribe so they would get discounts but not one single business was mentioned. Not one single benefit or discount was mentioned. And when I checked the web site no mention was made there of the participating businesses. Talk about poorly written articles with only half the information! :grr:
Totally agree. Not one word about what subscribers would be getting in the way of discounts.
And for me, it doesn't make sense to subscribe to a 7 day print edition, because I travel out of town about 7 days a month. I wouldn't want the newspaper sitting in my driveway for days on end. I appreciate that newspapers don't want to give away their product, but they should make digital subscriptions a lot cheaper than print ones.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

nativeomahan wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:The front page article in the Sunday edition of the paper was promoting the new World Herald rewards program for 7 day a week subscribers. It told how you could download an app and receive discounts at over 250 local businesses. Funny thing was that here was a big front page article encouraging people to subscribe so they would get discounts but not one single business was mentioned. Not one single benefit or discount was mentioned. And when I checked the web site no mention was made there of the participating businesses. Talk about poorly written articles with only half the information! :grr:
Totally agree. Not one word about what subscribers would be getting in the way of discounts.
And for me, it doesn't make sense to subscribe to a 7 day print edition, because I travel out of town about 7 days a month. I wouldn't want the newspaper sitting in my driveway for days on end. I appreciate that newspapers don't want to give away their product, but they should make digital subscriptions a lot cheaper than print ones.
Especially since production costs are lower and the delivery costs are reduced. We just dont have time to read a paper every day and they stack up. Tired of recycling them when I can just go online and get the news. Happy to pay for a subscription, even happier to pay for one without ads in the middle of stories.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

One thing that I noticed as a benefit that is new, is that as a 7 day subscriber I now get full unlimited access for the on-line content as a rewards member. Previously I had to pay more.

I still do the 7 day subscription. The ads/coupons on Sunday more than pay for my subscription. When I renewed my latest subscription, it was cheaper to get the 7 day than the weekend only.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:One thing that I noticed as a benefit that is new, is that as a 7 day subscriber I now get full unlimited access for the on-line content as a rewards member. Previously I had to pay more.

I still do the 7 day subscription. The ads/coupons on Sunday more than pay for my subscription. When I renewed my latest subscription, it was cheaper to get the 7 day than the weekend only.

Greg

What on line content are you getting now that you didn't before as a 7 day subscriber?

As a 7 day subscriber I have logged in and read the E-Paper almost daily and I am not aware of any features that I did not have access to.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote:
Greg S wrote:One thing that I noticed as a benefit that is new, is that as a 7 day subscriber I now get full unlimited access for the on-line content as a rewards member. Previously I had to pay more.

Greg

What on line content are you getting now that you didn't before as a 7 day subscriber?

As a 7 day subscriber I have logged in and read the E-Paper almost daily and I am not aware of any features that I did not have access to.

I was limited on how many articles a month I could read. I called and asked about it and was told that because I had a discounted subscription was not eligible for unlimited on-line access, and the e-paper. Now I do have the unlimited on-line access and e-paper.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

Greg

I was limited on how many articles a month I could read. I called and asked about it and was told that because I had a discounted subscription was not eligible for unlimited on-line access, and the e-paper. Now I do have the unlimited on-line access and e-paper.

Greg

Crazy, didn't know that.

The part that drives me crazy is if I put the paper on a vacation hold my E paper stops working too. Isn't that when it could be most useful? I can see not allowing someone to have a long term vacation hold but how about a two week cap or something on having access to a Vacation hold with access to the ePaper.

I am real close to ending it all together. I have read the OWH almost continuously at some level since the 80's Even when I lived out of state I had the Sat. & Sun paper delivered via mail. If they had a E Paper only for a rate that was say half of the printed version I would bite. The fact that they don't seems short sighted. Over 1/2 my papers get tossed without looking becuase I have read the E version. What a waste.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

A waste indeed. We just get the weekend papers, but Saturday's often goes straight into the recycling bin. And why a weekend subscription would cost more than a 7 day subscription really ticks me off. I don't know anyone under age 50 who reads a print paper 7 days a week. I travel a lot for work now, and all of the hotels I stay in have quit sticking a newspaper by the doors of hotel guest rooms. Turns out no one was bothering to read them. Several hotels I frequent stick a pile of USA Today's or Omaha World-Herald's in the lobby in the morning. They are still piled up at 7 pm in the evening.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

7 days are probably cheaper so they can sell add space all week. They can go to companies and say we have x amount of subscribers give us money to put your add in the paper. Subscription costs are a drop in the revenue bucket.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

iamjacobm wrote:7 days are probably cheaper so they can sell add space all week. They can go to companies and say we have x amount of subscribers give us money to put your add in the paper. Subscription costs are a drop in the revenue bucket.

But a printed add is displayed the same way on the E paper. It is an exact virtual version of the printed version. The only thing missing is the insert ads and there are very few of those during the week with the majority being on Sunday. To be honest I actually look at the ads more ont he E version that the print version.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

It bugs me how they've started running ads on a sheet that is folded over the left half of the front page. Those pages they leave sticking out about an inch on the right side bug me too. That and the 3rd page always seems to be a full page ad. What gives?
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

This gem was in the August 30th Public Pulse:

http://www.omaha.com/opinion/the-public ... ebfff.html

omahacacher
Home Owners Association

Post by omahacacher »

jessep28 wrote:This gem was in the August 30th Public Pulse:

http://www.omaha.com/opinion/the-public ... ebfff.html

I'm guessing they don't have to pay for software, cases and apps in Washington County.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I don't know what educational institutions pay for software licenses, but if it's anything close to enterprise rates, that can be a significant cost per unit.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

jessep28 wrote:I don't know what educational institutions pay for software licenses, but if it's anything close to enterprise rates, that can be a significant cost per unit.

Uffda? Do you know?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Could include a long term support agreement as well.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Stargazer wrote:Could include a long term support agreement as well.
Even with long term support, that price is insanely high per tablet.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote:
jessep28 wrote:I don't know what educational institutions pay for software licenses, but if it's anything close to enterprise rates, that can be a significant cost per unit.

Uffda? Do you know?
Nope it was a surprise to me. OPS went office365 so I am guessing that is why they went Surface. All I know it is the Surface, keyboard and some type of wireless connection to projectors. At my school, we are 95%+ happy with our Mac laptops -- of course we weren't asked. :lol:
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

The incognito trick appears to be working again.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I was going to mention a few weeks ago... In the past couple of months I have not had the pop up that tells me I have used up my free viewing privileges...
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Coyote wrote:I was going to mention a few weeks ago... In the past couple of months I have not had the pop up that tells me I have used up my free viewing privileges...
I still get it but Google Chrome makes it easy to delete just the Omaha.com cookies and reset my clock.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

OWH finally put the article limit on their app. There goes the loophole.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Ok I must have missed the next new thing ... but when did the OWH start putting videos in the online content? Are these from someplace else or do they make their own to go with the articles now?
Nice!
http://www.omaha.com/money/omaha-apartm ... 33aec.html
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The newspaper will switch from an all-day publishing cycle (morning & afternoon) to a morning edition only starting March 7th.

World-Herald moving to all-morning delivery March 7
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I can't understand why they didn't do this 10 years ago. They have finally woken up and smelled the coffee.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Maybe they are increasing Food Express to a 5 times a week publication and need the PM printing space?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Growing up, I loved being able to deliver newspapers when I got home from school. I think that is a thing of the past for kids to do nowadays.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

skinzfan23 wrote:Growing up, I loved being able to deliver newspapers when I got home from school. I think that is a thing of the past for kids to do nowadays.
I think adults with cars already took over this profession before 2008.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

I guess I'm the contrarian on this. Other than offices and retirees, I can't think of a reason why anybody would want the morning paper. I don't have time to read the paper in the morning; gotta get the kids ready and get to work. So now I'll come home to a 12 hour stale paper? I can't imagine many people have time to leisurely read the paper over their morning breakfast.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I get the paper seven days a week but 75 % of the time I read the E addition on line. I do not recall seeing the Morning and Afternoon additions on the E paper options for some time. They used to be there though and when they were sometimes out of curiosity I would look at the AM and the PM addition for the same day and there was very little difference in the two. Not saying there wasn't anything but it was minimal. If it is a good decision financially for them then this is what they should do.

On another note, I wish they had an option to subscribe to the e Addition at a lower cost. I toss a bunch of our papers without even opening them because I have read things on line. There is no incentive for me to go electronic only because there in not a savings. I will never be convinced that it is not ceeper to deliver the e Addition to me.

The perfect subscription model for me would be a 7 day subscription where I got an actual paper delivered on Sat and Sun and the e Addition access for 7 days a week.