The Omaha World Herald

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Re: The Omaha World Herald

Post by MadMartin8 »

Chalk me up as another who doesn't find the appeal in the "Breaking Brad" bit. The dude tries far too hard for what little he brings, and I don't think I have even chuckled more than a few times. He's like the pseudo class clown that everyone just kinda feels sorry for and so they do a fake laugh for him.
No posts exist for this topic
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I check. No tack.

He does get a chuckle one rare occasion, the one Gramps mentioned gets at least a grin. For the column inches he gets it isn't justified. Maybe this should be a weekly bit or at least just go on a small block on the comics page. Too many swings and misses by a long shot.

So far other than Gramps no one gets it. Not too good.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

Post by FirebirdEngineer »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:That so called piece of art work is a joke. The artist should of named it Junkyard in the Sky. Brad just might have a tad of talent considering he wrote jokes for the Tonight Show for over a decade.
If it was during the Leno years, that ain't saying much.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

nebugeater wrote:So far other than Gramps no one gets it. Not too good.
I think they are funny.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:Chalk me up as another who doesn't find the appeal in the "Breaking Brad" bit. The dude tries far too hard for what little he brings, and I don't think I have even chuckled more than a few times. He's like the pseudo class clown that everyone just kinda feels sorry for and so they do a fake laugh for him.
Honestly, I skip over the "Breaking Brad" bit completely, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Toto
Home Owners Association

Post by Toto »

OWH got under the bluejay skin last night.
fakebluecrew.JPG
fakebluecrew.JPG (76.02 KiB) Viewed 5478 times
Toto
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Toto wrote:OWH got under the bluejay skin last night.
fakebluecrew.JPG
Mostly, the OWH is so pro Jays in all sports save football, that to their readers, the Bluejays win when the Mavs play hockey.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

The World Herald posted this weekend that they are now going to make the paper an inch shorter starting next week. About a month ago they said they were not publishing the TV Guide no more to save paper. This is getting ugly. If they cut that paper back too much more its going to be the size of a comic book.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:The World Herald posted this weekend that they are now going to make the paper an inch shorter starting next week. About a month ago they said they were not publishing the TV Guide no more to save paper. This is getting ugly. If they cut that paper back too much more its going to be the size of a comic book.
The article said they're going to make each page 11" wide instead of 12-1/2". It will remain the same height. They also said they're bringing back the TV guide, as a response to complaints they received after eliminating it not too long ago.

I still get the paper, but admit I don't read it as much since they changed it to morning addition only. The news seems outdated by the time I get to read it in the evening, or I've already looked at it online.

I wouldn't mind if they made it the same size as the Daily Nebraskan I read in college at UNL. That was probably 9x16...or so for each page.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

GetUrban wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:The World Herald posted this weekend that they are now going to make the paper an inch shorter starting next week. About a month ago they said they were not publishing the TV Guide no more to save paper. This is getting ugly. If they cut that paper back too much more its going to be the size of a comic book.
The article said they're going to make each page 11" wide instead of 12-1/2". It will remain the same height. They also said they're bringing back the TV guide, as a response to complaints they received after eliminating it not too long ago.

I still get the paper, but admit I don't read it as much since they changed it to morning addition only. The news seems outdated by the time I get to read it in the evening, or I've already looked at it online.

I wouldn't mind if they made it the same size as the Daily Nebraskan I read in college at UNL. That was probably 9x16...or so for each page.
People still read paper newspapers and television guides???? I thought those went the way of the rotary phone.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I still prefer to read physical newspapers. I can go through one more efficiently, I don't have to interact with a glowing screen, no auto play videos, no popover ads. The experience is more enjoyable in my opinion.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

jessep28 wrote:I still prefer to read physical newspapers. I can go through one more efficiently, I don't have to interact with a glowing screen, no auto play videos, no popover ads. The experience is more enjoyable in my opinion.

Everything you said there is 100% correct. Reading the physical paper is 10 times more nicer then trying to read it on the internet. I feel sorry for the poor person who has to read the paper on their cell phone. No way thats hard on their eyes huh.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Not long ago the World-Herald completely dropped their TV listings from all daily editions of the newspaper. You either had to buy a copy of the Sunday paper or you were S.O.L. For the entire week.
Apparently enough people complained that they have brought the TV listings back, but they are buried on a different page almost every day, and the colorized version has been eliminated.
I'm just curious as to who uses their TV listings? I generally do not.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

nativeomahan wrote:Not long ago the World-Herald completely dropped their TV listings from all daily editions of the newspaper. You either had to buy a copy of the Sunday paper or you were S.O.L. For the entire week.
Apparently enough people complained that they have brought the TV listings back, but they are buried on a different page almost every day, and the colorized version has been eliminated.
I feel like it's mainly older people or people who don't have expanded cable or satellite packages.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

RNcyanide wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:Not long ago the World-Herald completely dropped their TV listings from all daily editions of the newspaper. You either had to buy a copy of the Sunday paper or you were S.O.L. For the entire week.
I feel like it's mainly older people or people who don't have expanded cable or satellite packages.

I only subscribe to the Sunday edition and the TV guide piece I don't even look at -- I also don't have cable or satellite. --- hmm maybe I am not as old as I think I am. :D
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Uffda wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:

I only subscribe to the Sunday edition and the TV guide piece I don't even look at -- I also don't have cable or satellite. --- hmm maybe I am not as old as I think I am. :D
Either that or you are broke :lol:
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

RNcyanide wrote:
I have the Cox Contour with a voice activated remote........and I still like to look at the daily TV listings in the paper. Its nice to glance at the big TV listings page in the paper every morning just for a quick scan of whats going to be on that I might be worth watching. I look at the paper TV listings every day and the ones on Cox. I use the voice activated remote maybe once every other day.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
Uffda wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:

Either that or you are broke :lol:
Far from being broke. :D
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

One of their ad vendors served up one of those hijacking "YOUR HTC 10 HAS A SUPER NASTY VIRUS" advertisements while reading an article last night. That was super awesome.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The OWH site is really pissing me off.

I am a seven day subscriber.
I am logged into their web site and my user name shows.
I can go to the epaper without issue.

Over the last few days from ANY COMPUTER in the same log in condition when I look at the web site and just want to read the story by clicking on it it tells me I have reached my limit of views and must subscribe or log in. Try and log in again and it goes through he steps and no change. I AM logged in and the site shows I am. They are doing everything they can to get me to drop my subscription all together.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

nebugeater wrote:The OWH site is really pissing me off.

I am a seven day subscriber.
I am logged into their web site and my user name shows.
I can go to the epaper without issue.

Over the last few days from ANY COMPUTER in the same log in condition when I look at the web site and just want to read the story by clicking on it it tells me I have reached my limit of views and must subscribe or log in. Try and log in again and it goes through he steps and no change. I AM logged in and the site shows I am. They are doing everything they can to get me to drop my subscription all together.
Clear the website data for omaha.com
#gohawks
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

OWH tracks your cookies. The way around it, until they figure it out is to right click your mouse on the article you want to read, click "open in incognito window". I've been doing this for months. And a new tab opens! Kind of a pain, but worth it.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That shouldn't be an issue if you are paying for their service though.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

iamjacobm wrote:That shouldn't be an issue if you are paying for their service though.
We had the same issue when we took the paper. Probably our fault that the problem persisted. From what I could tell by messages they also wanted us to subscribe on line at an additional cost. I just didn't feel like dealing with them or paying more.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

debradomayer wrote:OWH tracks your cookies. The way around it, until they figure it out is to right click your mouse on the article you want to read, click "open in incognito window". I've been doing this for months. And a new tab opens! Kind of a pain, but worth it.
I know and use that trick but shouldn't have too. Pay them too many $$$ to have to put up with that.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

debradomayer wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:That shouldn't be an issue if you are paying for their service though.
We had the same issue when we took the paper. Probably our fault that the problem persisted. From what I could tell by messages they also wanted us to subscribe on line at an additional cost. I just didn't feel like dealing with them or paying more.
It has worked fine up to a couple weeks ago. I will have to check if anything has changed in the terms but it has always said as a 7 day subscriber all on line access is included.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

nebugeater wrote:
debradomayer wrote:
It has worked fine up to a couple weeks ago. I will have to check if anything has changed in the terms but it has always said as a 7 day subscriber all on line access is included.
Someone from the WH called me about a different issue but said they had gotten a whole new system 7/15. I don't know if it was just the customer serviced side of things or not but thought I would mention it. Also, she said their billing is done out of state as is customer service I think. There were a couple of functions though that have definitely been outsourced to 3 other states.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

hatwate wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
debradomayer wrote:
Someone from the WH called me about a different issue but said they had gotten a whole new system 7/15. I don't know if it was just the customer serviced side of things or not but thought I would mention it. Also, she said their billing is done out of state as is customer service I think. There were a couple of functions though that have definitely been outsourced to 3 other states.

Thanks for that info. The timing seems to match.
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

Omaha.com is down to offering 6 free articles per month for non-subscribers. Good thing for being able to clear out your browser history lol.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

jag42 wrote:Omaha.com is down to offering 6 free articles per month for non-subscribers. Good thing for being able to clear out your browser history lol.
Them that pays gits them that don't are left to scavenge and complain :;):
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

jag42 wrote:Omaha.com is down to offering 6 free articles per month for non-subscribers. Good thing for being able to clear out your browser history lol.
or use more than one browser. :D
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

It's just funny seeing them keep dropping the number...I think when they first started limiting articles, it was 20, then 15, then 10, then 7, now 6.... wonder how long it will be before they are down to 2.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

The number of articles drops as the size of the paper shrinks. I sense a pattern here. :roll:
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

At least it looks like they're becoming more reasonable on pricing, it looks like the digital access add-on to weekend or sunday only paper subscriptions is just 99c now
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Dundeemaha wrote:At least it looks like they're becoming more reasonable on pricing, it looks like the digital access add-on to weekend or sunday only paper subscriptions is just 99c now
Now, if they would only actually deliver the Sunday paper we subscribed to...
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

My gut reaction is that this has Warren Buffet written all over it. No freebies. Gimme money I can buy more stuff with. His experience with the Buffalo News gave him insight. The owh is pretty much THE source of news in Omaha. Advertising, subscriptions...the majority of the population will pay what he asks. There will be a time when if you want to read more than the headline you will pay for the privilege. Well, not me but many if not most of the rest...
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

NovakOmaha wrote:My gut reaction is that this has Warren Buffet written all over it. No freebies. Gimme money I can buy more stuff with. His experience with the Buffalo News gave him insight. The owh is pretty much THE source of news in Omaha. Advertising, subscriptions...the majority of the population will pay what he asks. There will be a time when if you want to read more than the headline you will pay for the privilege. Well, not me but many if not most of the rest...
I wish Warren would cut the free articles down to 1. The "Entitlement Society" needs to be retrained to not be expecting everything handed to them for nothing just because they are such wonderful people. :clap:
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:My gut reaction is that this has Warren Buffet written all over it. No freebies. Gimme money I can buy more stuff with. His experience with the Buffalo News gave him insight. The owh is pretty much THE source of news in Omaha. Advertising, subscriptions...the majority of the population will pay what he asks. There will be a time when if you want to read more than the headline you will pay for the privilege. Well, not me but many if not most of the rest...
I wish Warren would cut the free articles down to 1. The "Entitlement Society" needs to be retrained to not be expecting everything handed to them for nothing just because they are such wonderful people. :clap:
Orrrrr......using the Facebook model....Free access in exchange for advertiser revenue. In the pre cable days you turned on your tv & programming was free, or appeared that way. Advertisers sponsored programming.

So there are two models for omaha.com. Sell subscriptions or sell ads. I suppose you could do both. On the other hand, having larger numbers of views of pages and the site would be an incentive for advertisers to buy ads. There are only so many people who are willing to pay for the news on the site. AND the willingness to pay shrinks for every penny more you charge. Economics appear to dictate the advertiser model.

In other words, this isn't an example of entitlement so much as economic modeling.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

NovakOmaha wrote:
In other words, this isn't an example of entitlement so much as economic modeling.
Look at today's print issue of the Monday paper and count the big advertising ads. There are only about 15 of them in the whole paper. They might of once made a bunch of money off the ads but it sure don't look that way now. The money they get from subscriptions has to be a substantial portion of what little income they take in. If they are letting the moochers get the paper for free off the internet they are contributing to the destruction of what little source of revenue they have left.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

NovakOmaha wrote:My gut reaction is that this has Warren Buffet written all over it. No freebies. Gimme money I can buy more stuff with.
Hey, mistresses aren't cheap... :banana: