The Omaha World Herald

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

the1wags wrote:The World Herald must also be exempt from copyright laws. Go to the metro/region webpage this morning and look at the aerial they are using for the NTK (need to know) section. It's one I posted on here with a ballpark in Heartland of America park, total hack job in paint. The picture isn't the only hack job around.
Nice

the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Hahaha. Thanks for the screen capture Brad. Absolute proof that the World Herald is stealing pics off of the internet. Hacks. Journalism at its finest.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

At first I thought "we steel their news articles every day", but then I remembered A, we link to the story and give the writers credit in our posts(even if forum members don't post it that way, I go back and change it to give the paper and the writers credit).  B, We are not journalists on this forum.

Its just weird that would not catch that ballpark in there?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

That is hilarious!
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

hmm...the picture seems to have disappeared.
morgan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by morgan »

Wish we were tax exempt!! Then again we'd have to be making money :) Trying to keep it real over here at Omaha.net - come by and check us out. We're too small to be the news.. but we're trying to tell a good story.
Omaha.net - we're looking for writers!

Omaha.net on Facebook
@Omaha_NET on Twitter
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Speaking of NTK... did they always have a Wallstreet Tower skyline next to it?? (the original design no less)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:Speaking of NTK... did they always have a Wallstreet Tower skyline next to it?? (the original design no less)
I think they just roll with a different random photo each day.  One day it had Josh's (the1wags) paint brush ballpark in Heartland of America park rendering in it!
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

World Herald strikes again. This time they forgot what city they are in. I'll give ya a clue, it's in your business name and it's your website. Try all you want, but Omaha is not and will not be Denver. Hacktacular.

chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

It's not surprising that a media outlet would make mistakes without checking the facts/knowing what they're doing. For instance, a few days ago on KETV:
The Millard South Patriots and Millard South Mustangs are known for their rivalry in high school football.
But I agree - the OWH website looks bad. There's so much they could take off and it would still be equally informative (take off who "likes" them on Facebook - nobody cares; photo galleries about non-news events or things; less advertising, etc).
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

the1wags wrote:World Herald strikes again. This time they forgot what city they are in. I'll give ya a clue, it's in your business name and it's your website. Try all you want, but Omaha is not and will not be Denver. Hacktacular.

Is it your photo again?
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

No, not mine. Just can tell that it is Denver, not Omaha.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I really need to make it downtown sometime very soon. Looks like Omaha's made a lot of progress since last week when I was there.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I noticed that today, too, Josh and immediately recognized it as Denver. I know it's not as bad as this, but one of their other photos that they use for the "Need To Know" section is a skyline shot with a half-built First National Center - that means it's about a decade old!!!!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I noticed that today, too, Josh and immediately recognized it as Denver. I know it's not as bad as this, but one of their other photos that they use for the "Need To Know" section is a skyline shot with a half-built First National Center - that means it's about a decade old!!!!
Better than the Getty Image national websites or media organizations use of Omaha with the skyline from the Mall without First National!
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

The Omaha World-Herald is not happy.
http://www.omaha.com/article/20110124/N ... gally-used

They get mad when someone uses their logo but it is ok if they use other peoples pictures and things without asking...
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Oh for Christ sakes.  The World-Herald should be HAPPY that anyone reads them any more.  And there is such a thing as fair use.

When they moan:
"The newspaper occasionally allows campaigns to quote from its content, but newspaper management always insists on reviewing the material beforehand."
...they just make me laugh.  People quote from newspapers, TV and other media all day long, and they have for eons.  Since Gutenberg.  So long as you keep it succinct and attribute the quote it is called fair use.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

If the situation is as presented by the OWH, fair use doesn't apply.  No one can use their logo to make it look like the publication/flyer/pamphlet is originating from the OWH (without permission, of course).  I can't imagine there not being a significant settlement of some kind if it is as presented by the OWH.

Now, it might have made things easier to determine if the OWH would have posted the pamphlet in question.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I received the flier.  A person would have to be a moron to think it was a publication of the newspaper.
Okay, I guess there are a lot of morons out there, but most don't know that the Omaha World-Herald even exists.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

So the OWH is going to have "premium" content from now on.  I won't mind if it is just the beat writers that I can't see anymore, but I hope it doesn't take too much away.  I don't want to rely on WOWT for my local news.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

You mean "web channel" content.
Stable genius.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Twiztid1 wrote:But if they label too many stories as 'premium content'
I was notified this morning with a pop-up which declared I had read 3 "premium content" stories this month and was solicited to subscribe.  It was the second link I had clicked on today and so I suppose it started counting yesterday afternoon sometime.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

iamjacobm wrote:So the OWH is going to have "premium" content from now on.
World Herald?

Premium Content?

Oxymoron?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It upsets me off that I can't read the new stories anymore with out paying.  I would not mind paying a small monthly fee, but to know that part of my money would be paying for the salaries of Rainbow and Breaking Brad, I just can't do it.

I wish they would have one price if you only want the news and another price if you want the stupid stories...
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

Brad wrote:It upsets me off that I can't read the new stories anymore with out paying.  I would not mind paying a small monthly fee, but to know that part of my money would be paying for the salaries of Rainbow and Breaking Brad, I just can't do it.

I wish they would have one price if you only want the news and another price if you want the stupid stories...
There's gotta be some code to get around the paywall...the system looks alot like NY Times', and that one was cracked in 5 minutes.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

please link to a story that requires money. might have an idea...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

S33 wrote:please link to a story that requires money. might have an idea...
Any story with the Circular OWH logo in front of it.

Here is one example.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110802/N ... -by-spring
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I'm not having any trouble accessing any of the content, with or without the circle?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

S33 wrote:I'm not having any trouble accessing any of the content, with or without the circle?
You must have not used up you 25 monthly views.  When you hit 25 a big box will pop up.

The box takes abut 5-10 seconds to come up, so if you are fast you can cut and past the text in to word or something and read it.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It says you get 25 premium content articles in a 30 day period.  After that you need to be a subscriber.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Brad wrote:
S33 wrote:I'm not having any trouble accessing any of the content, with or without the circle?
You must have not used up you 25 monthly views.  When you hit 25 a big box will pop up.

The box takes abut 5-10 seconds to come up, so if you are fast you can cut and past the text in to word or something and read it.
Google Cache it then? Since the page still pops up, google should be able to cache it, right?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OmahaBen wrote:
Brad wrote:It upsets me off that I can't read the new stories anymore with out paying.  I would not mind paying a small monthly fee, but to know that part of my money would be paying for the salaries of Rainbow and Breaking Brad, I just can't do it.

There's gotta be some code to get around the paywall...the system looks alot like NY Times', and that one was cracked in 5 minutes.
Try http://www.bugmenot.com
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Our local systems geek showed us an easy way around this. Write me off line and I will share, although far be it from me to encourage stealing content. :)
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Lol... Just stumbled into a workaround:

Use an iPad.

The premium content blocking thingy is flash based.  :lafcry:
Stable genius.
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

Pay OWH or pay Apple.....  I'm not seeing a win here.
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Proudly oppressing the rest of Omaha with my suburbia lifestyle since 1999.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Is Flash supported on the HP TouchPafail?
Stable genius.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Big E wrote:Is Flash supported on the HP TouchPafail?
It's only good for shooting commercials with marginally popular celebrities.
Go Cubs Go
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

When I open a story on the OWH website something like 6 windows pop up for crackle.com.  Is this happening to anyone else?