Crime in Omaha

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

joeglow
Planning Board

Crime in Omaha

Post by joeglow »

Omaha and Lincoln have finally been added to Spot Crime.  However, the OPD is showing their usual unwillingness to cooperate with crime statistics.  Thus, while Lincoln shows ALL crimes in the city, they are currently forced to rely on news reports for Omaha:

http://www.spotcrime.com/ne/omaha
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

LPD has been offering that info online for several years now.  I will say that I've been impressed with the online offerings that Lincoln has put together.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

almighty_tuna wrote:LPD has been offering that info online for several years now.  I will say that I've been impressed with the online offerings that Lincoln has put together.
I agree.  Their assessor's website kicks arse.  And this is after they scaled it back because I am sure people were complaining that they had EVERYTHING, including scanned copies of real estate transfer documents, available for free.

This just shows FURTHER |expletive| that Fahey and the city is doing.  It has been said that they classify shootings that don't injure people as "property crimes."  It appears they will do just about anything to manipulate the crime statistics and will guard them with their lives.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

This thread gives me another chance to vent on the crappy-|expletive| local paper. Anybody else notice how you will read about tons of crimes on the local TV station's websites and then see nothing mentioned about most of them in the paper? A few months back some dude robbed a gas station, lead police on a high speed chase into our neighborhood, crashed his car and ran into the woods.  There were 15 OPD cars, 2 State Patrol cars, the helicopter and a K-9 unit. 15 OPD cars had to be pretty much every unit in NW Omaha at the time.

The World Herald's story...still waiting. Anybody that doesn't believe the WH has an agenda needs to have their head checked.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

BTW, I just checked that spotcrime site. It lists a shooting and an armed robbery of a business in my neighborhood. The two sources were WOWT and KMTV. Go figure.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

joeglow wrote:
almighty_tuna wrote:LPD has been offering that info online for several years now.  I will say that I've been impressed with the online offerings that Lincoln has put together.
I agree.  Their assessor's website kicks arse.  And this is after they scaled it back because I am sure people were complaining that they had EVERYTHING, including scanned copies of real estate transfer documents, available for free.

This just shows FURTHER |expletive| that Fahey and the city is doing.  It has been said that they classify shootings that don't injure people as "property crimes."  It appears they will do just about anything to manipulate the crime statistics and will guard them with their lives.
I thought the OWH sued awhile back to have those records released?  I remember reading a multi-part article that contained a map just like the one from the link.  Anyone else remember that?
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Web site to map out Omaha crimes
KEVIN COLE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:People wanting to pinpoint crime in Omaha soon will have to make only a few keystrokes on their computer. The Police Department is about 30 days away from posting each day's criminal incidents on http://www.crimereports.com, said Lt. Scott Gray, who works in the department's criminal investigations bureau. "It's going to be real easy for people to know what's going on in their neighborhood," Gray said. "The data that you will see is very close to the data we see." Also, users can be individually updated anytime a crime is committed in a neighborhood. "If you want to know each time a felony assault is committed in your neighborhood, then you just enter your e-mail address and you will be notified," Gray said. "And your e-mail stays totally confidential.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Re: Crime in Omaha

Post by bbinks »

It is of no surprise to me that Fahey is not willing to come off crime numbers in his city.

joeglow wrote:Omaha and Lincoln have finally been added to Spot Crime.  However, the OPD is showing their usual unwillingness to cooperate with crime statistics.  Thus, while Lincoln shows ALL crimes in the city, they are currently forced to rely on news reports for Omaha:

http://www.spotcrime.com/ne/omaha
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Honest question:

What constitutes "crime"?

Police call?  Police report?  Police investigation? Trial? Conviction?

-Big E
Stable genius.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Broadmoor has said that car break ins have gotten so bad that they are planning on spending thousands to fence and gate all of their projects.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

You can tell the weather has finally become nice.  Five shootings in 48 hours.  Almost a dozen wounded and one dead.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

cdub wrote:Broadmoor has said that car break ins have gotten so bad that they are planning on spending thousands to fence and gate all of their projects.
Lmao! Yeah, I'll believe that when I see it.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

joeglow wrote:You can tell the weather has finally become nice.  Five shootings in 48 hours.  Almost a dozen wounded and one dead.
They must have been practicing in the "off-season" with that kind of aim.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

A shooting takes place East of 72nd and Harrison, a dozen people come forward and we catch the shooter in less than 24 hours.

Now, if we can just get the people in NE Omaha to cooperate with police.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

joeglow wrote:A shooting takes place East of 72nd and Harrison, a dozen people come forward and we catch the shooter in less than 24 hours.

Now, if we can just get the people in NE Omaha to cooperate with police.
You're aware of the average shelf life of a witness to a gang crime, correct?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

2 more shootings in the past hour.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

iamjacobm wrote:2 more shootings in the past hour.
The one on 3rd and Cedar, the one at Creighton Med, and another...?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There was just something going on on the police scanner, but i never heard what it was?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Big E wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:2 more shootings in the past hour.
The one on 3rd and Cedar, the one at Creighton Med, and another...?
Ehh I should check before I post stuff like that.  I was talking with a friend and they said there was a shooting in south Omaha and I asked the one by Lauritzen Gardens and they said no and I just took it as fact.  But I haven't seen any reports on it.  I am pretty sure they were talking about the one on 3rd and Cedar.  Either way pretty crazy week so far from all the action Sunday, to a murder at a really busy park, a shooting that got an officer hurt and now one at a hospital.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Another busy day for the thugs.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

We drove by the 54 th street shooting on our way home from the fish fry last night and the crime scene van was still there.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

joeglow wrote:Another busy day for the thugs.
You act as if everyone that has a gun is loosely federated and makes plans to go out and shoot.

I don't know why everyone is surprised by the shootings here. No one can or wants to address any of the real problems so it's going to be a reality for the foreseeable future.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110409/N ... -draws-200
Although numerous shootings have occurred citywide this week, Barney said, the trend line for homicides is down in north Omaha.

Through Friday, seven homicides have taken place in north Omaha, he said, compared with 10 in the same period last year.

In the rest of the city, five have taken place during that period compared with one last year, he said.
The new bus branding seems to have made the thugs more mobile.
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

DTO Luv wrote:I don't know why everyone is surprised by the shootings here.
Personally, the shootings don't bother me so much as the rate of incidences within the last couple weeks.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

DTO Luv wrote:
joeglow wrote:Another busy day for the thugs.
You act as if everyone that has a gun is loosely federated and makes plans to go out and shoot.

I don't know why everyone is surprised by the shootings here. No one can or wants to address any of the real problems so it's going to be a reality for the foreseeable future.
I LOVE the bullsh*t excuse that it is NOT their fault.  I and the rest of society made them do it.  Give me a freaking break.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I'm still waiting to learn what the "real" problem is and what the "real" solution is.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

S33 wrote:I'm still waiting to learn what the "real" problem is and what the "real" solution is.
The real problem is fuzzy dice.  Didn't you hear?

http://omaha.com/article/20110411/NEWS01/704119927

Once you outlaw fuzzy dice, only outlaws use fuzzy dice.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

lol - yeah I saw that. I was thinking about posting that in 2011 Legislature.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Another large string of violent crimes this past week.  Maybe it is the heat making people lose their damn minds.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Another large string of violent crimes this past week.  Maybe it is the heat making people lose their darn minds.
Its not the heat, its definitely the humidity!  Its nasty out there today!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Anyone else feel like the Old Market murder last night has been kept really low profile?

Anyways the city needs to take the liquor license from the club in the Landmark building and never give it back.  Too much violent crime comes from that bar no matter what they call it now a days, I would rather have an empty storefront.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

iamjacobm wrote:Anyone else feel like the Old Market murder last night has been kept really low profile?
Well, they sure reported the shootings (two of them, apparently) on the news this morning.

Embarrassing as he!! to have things like this when the CWS crowd is in town! :(
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Typical gangbanger trash. Always hanging around with their pants around their ankles ready to spoil a good time for everyone.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They did seem to be quiet on it for a while.  They are reporting it now.  Horrible timing for Omaha.

Greg
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Greg S wrote:They did seem to be quiet on it for a while.  They are reporting it now.  Horrible timing for Omaha.
Would anyone really prefer that the media did not report violent crime?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I was going to go with the "parking lots cause homicides" angle but decided not to.
Stable genius.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Greg S wrote:They did seem to be quiet on it for a while.  They are reporting it now.  Horrible timing for Omaha.

Greg
Anytime is a bad time for someone to be gunned down and killed.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Not sure how "Low Profile" it was?  It was on the morning news and on omaha.com?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:Not sure how "Low Profile" it was?  It was on the morning news and on omaha.com?
I don't know.  I just felt like omaha.com kind of buried in on their front page.  Not photo and was only in the side column when I first saw it.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:
Brad wrote:Not sure how "Low Profile" it was?  It was on the morning news and on omaha.com?
I don't know.  I just felt like omaha.com kind of buried in on their front page.  Not photo and was only in the side column when I first saw it.
It does seem like their "Crime" stories usually start over there.  That Standoff this mornign was burried way down there for a while.  Sometimes I wonder if they actually choose where the stories go on Omaha.com or if the computer decided based on number of views.