Crime in Omaha

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: Crime in Omaha

Post by Coyote »

4223 Redman Ave. Home invasion, male in basement will shoot if she some down...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Anthony Garcia found guilty on all 4 counts of murder.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

iamjacobm wrote:Anthony Garcia found guilty on all 4 counts of murder.

Dr Tony is one of the more dastardly characters we have ever seen come through these parts. Just like all these cases technically there can be little doubt that the guy is insane. This guy spent a couple nights a week hanging out in go go bars and taking strippers out for supper. If you are hanging out in a stripper bar to the point that they even know your name and you even take the strippers out on dates in the real world then you undeniably have more then just a few screws loose. And..... if you are confessing to a go go girl that you killed 2 people you have completely lost your mind. I propose one of those cage death matches like they used to have on MTV. We put Nikko Jenkins and Dr Tony in a cage and let them at it. :shock:
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Anthony Garcia found guilty on all 4 counts of murder.

Dr Tony is one of the more dastardly characters we have ever seen come through these parts. Just like all these cases technically there can be little doubt that the guy is insane. This guy spent a couple nights a week hanging out in go go bars and taking strippers out for supper. If you are hanging out in a stripper bar to the point that they even know your name and you even take the strippers out on dates in the real world then you undeniably have more then just a few screws loose. And..... if you are confessing to a go go girl that you killed 2 people you have completely lost your mind. I propose one of those cage death matches like they used to have on MTV. We put Nikko Jenkins and Dr Tony in a cage and let them at it. :shock:
Minus the wrestling cage match, I've got to agree with you on this one GRANDPA.. I'd say, fortunately, the jury got this one right...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Homicides were down this past year:

Number of Omaha homicides drops dramatically; 29 killed in 2016, compared with 50 in 2015
Emerson Clarridge / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Criminal killings in Omaha fell sharply in 2016 to a 13-year low.

Twenty-nine people were slain, the fewest in a calendar year since 2004, and far below the record-high 50 homicides the city saw in 2015.

Police said the marked drop is a sign that the department’s work with community organizations is effective.

“Omaha deserves this,” Police Chief Todd Schmaderer said last week during an interview in his office at Central Police Headquarters.

The homicide plunge followed a year in which killings spiked, partly because of an unprecedented number of slayings with multiple victims. There were seven double homicides and one triple homicide in 2015.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Good news! :D
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

daveoma wrote:Good news! :D
Considering Chicago had one of their worst years...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:
daveoma wrote:Good news! :D
Considering Chicago had one of their worst years...
It was a very unusual year for homicide numbers in major US cities. Places like Chicago had one of their worst years. A city and metro the same size as Omaha- Tulsa, Oklahoma had its worst year for homicides ever at 81 (I believe that was the final tally. 80+ murders for a city like Tulsa is crazy).. While Omaha, after hitting its highest ever total in 2015 at 50, drops to a 13 year low of 29 for last year.. Lincoln, after recording 1 homicide in 2015, hit an all time high of 11 in 2016..

The fluctuations in these numbers, city by city for 2016, was pretty staggering...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MeanStreets is reporting an officer shot in the leg in Midtown.
meanstreets.JPG
meanstreets.JPG (36.72 KiB) Viewed 6129 times
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Hope the police officer recovers swiftly.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

I've seen and heard lots of bad things about North Omaha, how there's so much crime in that part of town. Are they true or just exaggerated?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:I've seen and heard lots of bad things about North Omaha, how there's so much crime in that part of town. Are they true or just exaggerated?
For violent crime in Omaha, this is more truth than exaggeration.. Unfortunately...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
mrsticka wrote:I've seen and heard lots of bad things about North Omaha, how there's so much crime in that part of town. Are they true or just exaggerated?
For violent crime in Omaha, this is more truth than exaggeration.. Unfortunately...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Yep
There is a reason that Shot detecting sonars are in NE Omaha and not in Millard.

Ganged up people have kids that don't have parents outside the biologic sense of the word. These kids get sucked into the next gang. I have a patient who is ganged up in a different gang than either parent. Can't wait for the family squabble.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Heed those warnings well or pay the price, and you better believe me you will not like the price you have to pay for disregarding those warnings. I grew up in North Omaha and yes it was often a ugly childhood growing up in North Omaha.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:

Heed those warnings well or pay the price, and you better believe me you will not like the price you have to pay for disregarding those warnings. I grew up in North Omaha and yes it was often a ugly childhood growing up in North Omaha.
I went to school at Clifton Hill. Once the FHA redzoned the neighborhood and the school went south, everyone who had the money to leave did so. After that, it was a rapid decline. Such a sad time to drive by my old house.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

bigredmed wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:

I went to school at Clifton Hill. Once the FHA redzoned the neighborhood and the school went south, everyone who had the money to leave did so. After that, it was a rapid decline. Such a sad time to drive by my old house.
I went to Wakonda Elementary school located at 48th & Curtis for my first 7 years of school. Wakonda was just starting to go bad when I got there in 1965 and by 1972 it was officially bad. A year or two ago I read in the paper that Wakonda now has the lowest test scores of any school in Nebraska. From there I went to Nathan Hale at 60th & Redick. I soon found out when I got to Nathan Hale that as bad as Wakonda was this place was 3 times worse. At Wakonda there had been a few bad dudes but at Nathan Hale there were hundreds of them along with bad girls to. I was supposed to go to North High School which I dreaded worse then dying itself. When 10th grade came the gods finally took mercy on me and I went to Roncalli. Roncalli was heaven after 9 years of public school in North Omaha.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Rummel.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Coyote wrote:Rummel.
First thing the guys at Roncalli told me when I got there was that all the guys that went to Creighton Prep were gay. I always stuck up for the Prep guys and said that some of them were my friends and they were good guys and there was no way they all were gay. :;):
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Coyote wrote:Rummel.
First thing the guys at Roncalli told me when I got there was that all the guys that went to Creighton Prep were gay. I always stuck up for the Prep guys and said that some of them were my friends and they were good guys and there was no way they all were gay. :;):
Yeah, yeah, yeah... At Prep we were told that the guys who went to Rummel did so because they couldn't pass Prep's entrance exam. 8)
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The suspected killer in the triple homicide last night was captured in Tennessee.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

The news media and the mayor and the police chief have been out in the open and public about the innocent people getting shot and killed downtown at Taste of Omaha this weekend. That being said it sure seems like they are just sweeping the obvious uncontrolled violence under the rug. I did not feel it was safe downtown and this proves I was right as far as I'm concerned. I don't think they are going to do much about it other then maybe have 3 or 4 more cops driving around for a couple of weeks. I have no confidence in them protecting me at all. I think I will stay even more clear of downtown then I already was. Sorry!
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:34 pm The news media and the mayor and the police chief have been out in the open and public about the innocent people getting shot and killed downtown at Taste of Omaha this weekend. That being said it sure seems like they are just sweeping the obvious uncontrolled violence under the rug. I did not feel it was safe downtown and this proves I was right as far as I'm concerned. I don't think they are going to do much about it other then maybe have 3 or 4 more cops driving around for a couple of weeks. I have no confidence in them protecting me at all. I think I will stay even more clear of downtown then I already was. Sorry!
The shootings actually occurred at 11th & Farnam after the Taste of Omaha which was at Lewis & Clark Landing. Groups of young people, some with gang ties headed to the Old Market when this happened. I was listening to the scanner at the time. If you watched the Chief's presser, he listed several things that are being done and there are probably a lot more that he couldn't talk about. Gotta have some faith here, they have a plan & will do everything they can to keep us safe.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Futile attempt at perspective from a downtown resident:

In the 13 years I've lived downtown, roughly as many people were shot and killed in a span of six minutes at the Von Maur shooting in 2007 as have been shot and killed in downtown Omaha since 2005 - and that's even defining downtown pretty loosely.

The reality remains that, in Omaha, as long as you aren't involved with or living in the midst of gang activity, you are very, very, VERY unlikely to be shot by anyone other than yourself or your spouse.
Stable genius.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Big E wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:31 am
The reality remains that, in Omaha, as long as you aren't involved with or living in the midst of gang activity, you are very, very, VERY unlikely to be shot by anyone other than yourself or your spouse.
Wrong! :gunfire: Sit on my grandmas porch for an hour and count the gun shots. Hint - You will need more than 10 fingers to count on.
Jim Flowers rules!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Big E wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:31 am Futile attempt at perspective from a downtown resident:

In the 13 years I've lived downtown, roughly as many people were shot and killed in a span of six minutes at the Von Maur shooting in 2007 as have been shot and killed in downtown Omaha since 2005 - and that's even defining downtown pretty loosely.
I agree completely with this. As someone who lived very close to this area myself, for 6 years.. And even today, the fear of being shot is a rare occurrence downtown. Are there isolated instances like what happened Saturday night? Yes. But this could also be said for other areas of the city including perceived “safe” West Omaha.. The biggest “concern” one would have downtown or in the Old Market, are con men (and women) and obvious panhandlers who try and bilk you out of your money..

And I would also say this- No female should be walking downtown at night by herself. She should at least be with a group of females if there is no male present.. And I would make this statement about any downtown in any major city...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:33 pm

And I would also say this- No female should be walking downtown at night by herself. She should at least be with a group of females if there is no male present..
Agree 100%
Jim Flowers rules!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Silverspoon wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:06 pmWrong! :gunfire: Sit on my grandmas porch for an hour and count the gun shots. Hint - You will need more than 10 fingers to count on.
And how many times has your grandma been shot?

You'd have 15 OPD helicopters in the air constantly if what you just said was remotely true.
Stable genius.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:33 pmAnd I would also say this- No female should be walking downtown at night by herself. She should at least be with a group of females if there is no male present.. And I would make this statement about any downtown in any major city...
You could make this statement about any public environment anywhere.
Stable genius.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Big E wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:05 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:33 pmAnd I would also say this- No female should be walking downtown at night by herself. She should at least be with a group of females if there is no male present.. And I would make this statement about any downtown in any major city...
You could make this statement about any public environment anywhere.
But yet, I see this happenstance downtown more than one would even imagine.. And I shudder every time I encounter it..

It is what it is I guess.. Just hope the female gets from point A to point B without any hassle/becoming a victim...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Silverspoon wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:06 pm
Wrong! :gunfire: Sit on my grandmas porch for an hour and count the gun shots. Hint - You will need more than 10 fingers to count on.
Yikes. You might want to call the national guard then. I’m sure they’ve been deployed for lesser situations than what your grandma is facing. I’m surprised she hasn’t developed PTSD and still goes on her porch.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:24 pm
Silverspoon wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:06 pm
Yikes. You might want to call the national guard then. I’m sure they’ve been deployed for lesser situations than what your grandma is facing. I’m surprised she hasn’t developed PTSD and still goes on her porch.
I can guarantee that she does suffer some mental discomfort and anguish living under those war like conditions. Even after living in Millard for the past 25 years, I will not live long enough to ever get over some of the stuff I saw and lived through in my first 25 years of life back in North Omaha.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

A female student from California was hit by a car and killed down by Creighton last night. The driver of the car did not stop and ran away. It looks like things are heating up in the hood as they always do in the Summer.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Big E wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:03 pm
Silverspoon wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:06 pmWrong! :gunfire: Sit on my grandmas porch for an hour and count the gun shots. Hint - You will need more than 10 fingers to count on.
You'd have 15 OPD helicopters in the air constantly if what you just said was remotely true.
Not true. Thats basically saying every time a shot is fired the helicopter takes off which would be asinine. Omaha is a dangerous city, but if youre not looking for trouble, you can usually avoid it.
Jim Flowers rules!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:38 am A female student from California was hit by a car and killed down by Creighton last night. The driver of the car did not stop and ran away. It looks like things are heating up in the hood as they always do in the Summer.
1:10a. Pedestrian not in a crosswalk.

Let's take an unfortunate accident and immediately attribute it to intentional gang related homicides simply because of its location.

You are not a well person.
Stable genius.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Silverspoon wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:11 amNot true. Thats basically saying every time a shot is fired the helicopter takes off which would be asinine. Omaha is a dangerous city, but if youre not looking for trouble, you can usually avoid it.
Yeah, I should not use hyperbole to call out your non-existant doomsday scenario. By bad.
Stable genius.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Big E wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:26 am
Silverspoon wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:11 amNot true. Thats basically saying every time a shot is fired the helicopter takes off which would be asinine. Omaha is a dangerous city, but if youre not looking for trouble, you can usually avoid it.
Yeah, I should not use hyperbole to call out your non-existant doomsday scenario. By bad.
No exaggeration here. I live in the real world. The whole country is a dangerous place these days. Im offering you a formal invitation to join me in reality...
Jim Flowers rules!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

No Silverspoon is right. I've lived in Chicago and now St. Louis and me and all my friends have been murdered by gangs dozens of times.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert