72nd between Dodge and Pacific.

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

72nd between Dodge and Pacific.

Post by ShawJ »

I was driving on 72nd between Pacific and Dodge today, and came to a realization. There is an area along that street that needs to be redeveloped, or at least should. I'm talking about the east side of 72nd where the old Arbys used to be in that oval looking building, along with that retail area with Gamers. Here is an aerial of the location:

There are wood walls (rotting wood) that appear to be 15-20 feet tall along the back of the parking lots. The paint is falling off of the building where Gamers is located. The oval looking building looks like someone could walk over and push it over.

Here is a better, birds eye view:

Compared to other areas and buildings along 72nd, this little strip stands out a bit.

Does anyone know if anything is planed for this area?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I totally agree.  I am not sure if or when it will happen due to a number of factors, but lets keep our fingers crossed.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

i wonder if aquiring the land is really expensive seeing as 72nd and dodge is right there and is one of the cities busiest intersections.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Last I heard the owners of the vacant building in the middle are trying to fill it.  No word on any significant redevelopment.  This strip shouldnt even be here given the shallow depth and the height of the wall needed to even provide that.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

I go by this area almost everyday and think the same thing.  There are so many different things that can be done.  It does make things difficult with the large wall on the east side, but that can be improved.  Even small things would help like decorative street lamps along the median or more landscaping.  I always thought that the area would be awesome for some multi story buildings with retail on the bottom and offices on top.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

S. 72nd Street at one time was known as "The Strip" and was very popular for dining.  That was 30 years ago.  Sadly it has fallen on decay and a general junky feeling, which I think can be tied directly to the 1975 tornado.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

nativeomahan wrote:S. 72nd Street at one time was known as "The Strip" and was very popular for dining.  That was 30 years ago.  Sadly it has fallen on decay and a general junky feeling, which I think can be tied directly to the 1975 tornado.
Am I forgetting something?

I've now been here over 30 years, and the only really "fine dining" I can think of in that area was Ross'. There was like a Lums type place and a Denny's, and a Broncos and a chicken place which didn't last long, but I really don't remember any other major restaurants.

The only thing else I really remember in that area was a nightclub on the corner of Pacific, first a live-music place, then a disco, then a {gag} urban cowboy place, and then (LOL!) an appliance store.

Are you maybe including such places as LaStrada, Drover, and Venice Inn in there?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Omahababe, Omahababe.  Besides Ross' there was the Sparetime (much like Ross'), Mr. Steak (not upper crust, but decent), The Cork & Cleaver steakhouse, Angelo's (at 72nd & Pacific), Kenny's Steakhouse (on Dodge about where Borders is), The Ranch Bowl (they used to draw a great dinner business; my family used ot eat there a lot, Jack Holmes (about 73rd and Pacific), King's Food Host (a lot of fun, on 72nd south of Cass St).  Hinky Dinky and Safeway grocery stores operated side by side on Dodge at 72nd st.  Then there was Omaha's only Arby's, plus Henry's hamburgers (where Jimmy John's is now).  I am probably forgetting a few more eateries.  Oh, yes, a Here's Johnny's up at 72nd and Hickory.  And Sortino's pizza on the east side of 72nd St, south of Pacific.  A gorgeous Tico's Mexican restaurant operated near 72nd and Harney in the late 70s and 80s.  Plus some bars thrown in for good measure, but I was too young to drink back in those days. :;):
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

nativeomahan wrote:Besides Ross' there was the Sparetime (much like Ross'),
Sparetime on 72nd?

I distinctly remember Sparetime in the Little Italy district, maybe 1979 or so. It was on the south side of Pierce by the tracks. I remember dining at Sparetime well, but I never remember one by that name on 72nd. If I remember correctly, the building was sold to Bob's Country Fixins (anybody else remember that one?), then on 10th, and had some kind of major damage shortly after.

I do remember Kenny's now that you mention it, but I don't remember Angelos at all.

Curiosity got me here, what looks like the remains of the Sparetime site is on the Google street view.
Brad
City Council

Re: 72nd between Dodge and Pacific.

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:And Sortino's pizza on the east side of 72nd St, south of Pacific.
When did this Sortino's close and be come Bob Hansen's Varsity Pizza for a short time?

There is this post on Forgotten Omaha:

And I know its was taken some time between 1985 (When Zio's opened as seen on the billboard in the photo) and 1993 (When the building Bob Hansen's Varsity Pizza disappeared from the Aerial Photos on the GIS site). You can see the big Red "VARSITY" sign in the lower left corner of the photo. Bob Hansen's Varsity Pizza was not open very long so that could really narrow down the time frame of the photo.
Coyote
City Council

Re: 72nd between Dodge and Pacific.

Post by Coyote »

I can give only one time reference... this Sortino's used to be a UNO hang out. I was in the band back from '78-'82, and Sandy Buda would always buy us pitchers of beer back then. So it would have to be after that. Bob Hansen was the basketball coach back then also...