Tipping

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

OmahaBen wrote:
Brad wrote:I tip on carryout orders if its a restaurant and the bartender gets your to go order.
Why? They didn't wait on you or serve you drinks, they were nothing more than a cashier for that specific transaction.
If its a bartender taking and checking the togo orders, you are taking time away they should be spending waiting on their customers = earning tips.

Besides if you frequent an establishment and you tip the bartender a few times, your order will be perfect every time.  I bartended at several restaurants in town over the past 10 years.  Most people tip the bartender on to go orders.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

I expect my bartender to earn his/her tip and this is done by paying attention to me when I need a refill (i.e. not ignoring me to constantly wait on the hot chicks he has ZERO chance with) and making my drinks a bit stiffer than usual.

Other than that, all the bartender is doing is pulling on a handle (something I could train my dog to do) and, therefore, is compensated accordingly.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

I'll second tipping bartenders. While it varies from place to place, to go order can be a real pain in the arse, esp. if there's nothing in it for us.  And yes the order is more likely to be correct than if it's managed by a teenager up front.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

joeglow wrote:and making my drinks a bit stiffer than usual.
Since I don't have "headlights", my drinks are always stiffer than normal!  You have to make money some how...
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

joeglow wrote:I expect my bartender to earn his/her tip and this is done by paying attention to me when I need a refill (i.e. not ignoring me to constantly wait on the hot chicks he has ZERO chance with) and making my drinks a bit stiffer than usual.

Other than that, all the bartender is doing is pulling on a handle (something I could train my dog to do) and, therefore, is compensated accordingly.
Clearly you've never bartended.  Just like serving, it's a lot more work than people think.  And all bartenders are not created equal.  I get your point about earning it and flirting with floozies, but the job often also includes making drink for the entire restaurant while taking care of your own guests, being an entertainer, being a therapist, and yes making a good drink.  Sure anyone(almost) can operate a beer tap but there are certain bars where what I order depends on who is bartending.  Conversly, I recently was tipped an extra 20 by guests who told me they were relieved to see me because I make the best martinis. Of course a brainless blonde can screw up drinks all day and bank. :(
MrPoloShirt
Home Owners Association

Post by MrPoloShirt »

joeglow wrote:I don't drink coffee, but I remember the first time I went to Starbucks.  When I saw the tip jar, I just about crapped my pants at how presumptuous that is.  No one has every deemed you tip a fast food worker.  Same thing with an ice cream shop preparing you a dessert.  Yet, if you charge someone $5 for fifty cent cup of coffee, you should get a tip?  Sorry, but that is one I do NOT agree with.
Those guys make hardly no money at all, why not tip them if you can?  It is not required, but why not help out?

What does a pizza driver do that is better than the guy at McDonalds?  Don't give me your own car stuff, most pizza drivers get a cert fixed amount from the bill per delivery to pay for that.

What does it hurt to tip someone who needs it?
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Starbucks is one of the few places where I typically see a full tip jar.  Clearly a lot of patrons don't feel it's presumptuous. I've known many people who've worked at starbucks.  I think their hourly is around $7-$8 dollars, yet with tips at a busy store they can average $14-$15 an hour.  One of my friends who worked there compared it to bartending with many regulars on a first name basis, who appreciate the speed, accuracy and consistantcy of individual baristtas.  This makes a lot of sense given the number of people who can't function or start their day without a particular coffee fix.  But again, just because there's a tip jar doesn't mean you are obligated, but it is appreciated.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Where do you draw the line though?  Why not tip the cashier at your grocery store?  Many folks have a  preferred one that they go to, because they bag their groceries "just right".
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

MrPoloShirt wrote:What does it hurt to tip someone who needs it?
It doesn't when voluntarily made. But "hustling" for tips, either by putting a jar out or worse, is rude and more likely to get me not to tip you than anything else.

The only place I feel obligated to tip is a restaurant or bar, where they make below minimum wage and require tips to bring them up to par. Even then, I don't think take-out applies because you're not being waited upon. If you're working a minimum wage or better job, even if it is the service industry, it's my decision to tip you or not. You shouldn't be expecting one, and I shouldn't receive worse service if I don't.
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

OmahaBen wrote:
Brad wrote:I tip on carryout orders if its a restaurant and the bartender gets your to go order.
Why? They didn't wait on you or serve you drinks, they were nothing more than a cashier for that specific transaction.
My sister-in-law used to do carry out at a steakhouse.  They relied on tips to make their wages.  I don't fully agree with tipping for carry-out.  They aren't actually providing you the "full service" that you customarily tip your wait staff for, but she felt that they were doing a similar job as the wait staff.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

My general advice for tipping:

Tip for whatever you feel like.  Don't tip for whatever you don't feel like.

Then expect the service to be returned proportionately.
Stable genius.
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

bradley414 wrote:When my wife and I were Catholic we felt obligated to tip the Priests for any extra service on our behalf (wedding, baptisms, etc.).  IIRC there was a "suggested gift" to the Priest of $50 printed on our wedding manual from where we got married.  I never felt obligated to tip any pastor or saw anyone tip pastors outside of the Catholic church.
I thought it was pretty standard to tip a pastor for performing a wedding ceremony?(Ours wasn't a Catholic wedding). They are part of the wedding party, like bridesmaid and best man. If ushers and attendants get presents, why not the person performing the ceremony?

I'll tip a $1 or 2 for the folks that bag and carry out my groceries at Bakers if they do an exceptional job..like placing eggs and bread where they won't get crushed without having to be told. Few bag groceries correctly.

Hey - I like the idea of adding $1.00 per child to the restaurant tip. That is thoughtful.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

What is this "tipping" of which you speak?
Cows?
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

MrPoloShirt wrote:
joeglow wrote:I don't drink coffee, but I remember the first time I went to Starbucks.  When I saw the tip jar, I just about crapped my pants at how presumptuous that is.  No one has every deemed you tip a fast food worker.  Same thing with an ice cream shop preparing you a dessert.  Yet, if you charge someone $5 for fifty cent cup of coffee, you should get a tip?  Sorry, but that is one I do NOT agree with.
Those guys make hardly no money at all, why not tip them if you can?  It is not required, but why not help out?

What does a pizza driver do that is better than the guy at McDonalds?  Don't give me your own car stuff, most pizza drivers get a cert fixed amount from the bill per delivery to pay for that.

What does it hurt to tip someone who needs it?
I delivered pizza in college.  I got 12 cents a mile (25 cents a mile under the Federal rate) and made $2.13 an hour.  If you can't see the difference, plus the fact that you don't even have to get your |expletive| off the couch, you have issues.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

joeglow wrote: When I I delivered pizza in college.  I got 12 cents a mile (25 cents a mile under the Federal rate) and made $2.13 an hour.  If you can't see the difference, plus the fact that you don't even have to get your |expletive| off the couch, you have issues.
How long ago were you a driver?  I have a friend  that had a second job at Pizza Hut as a driver and he made 6.50 an hour.  This was about 10 years ago.  

What about the added-on delivery fee?  Who gets that?  If you look at how many pizzas an average driver delivers in an hour (tips), plus any part of the delivery fee they may get, added to their wage, they get a decent days' income.

Once the pizza places started adding a delivery fee, I started to use carry-out.  I was not about to have a fee of $2.00 - $3.00 atop the $2.00 to $3.00 tip.  One $15.00 pizza is not worth the added $6.00 in the end for someone to bring the thing to me.  Plus, its hotter if I go get it.  I have had many a luke-warm pizzas delivered to me in my time.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

bbinks wrote: How long ago were you a driver?  I have a friend  that had a second job at Pizza Hut as a driver and he made 6.50 an hour.  This was about 10 years ago.  
-I delivered for a local pizza joint in Lincoln (Wise Guys) about 12 years ago.
bbinks wrote:What about the added-on delivery fee?  Who gets that?  If you look at how many pizzas an average driver delivers in an hour (tips), plus any part of the delivery fee they may get, added to their wage, they get a decent days' income.
-We had no delivery fee.  And, you don't average as many deliveries an hour as you may think.  And you realize the estimated Federal rate for the cost of driving is about 40-50  cents a mile?  It is not unheard of to drive 150 miles in a night.  That works out to a $60 cost on your car.  
bbinks wrote:Once the pizza places started adding a delivery fee, I started to use carry-out.  I was not about to have a fee of $2.00 - $3.00 atop the $2.00 to $3.00 tip.  One $15.00 pizza is not worth the added $6.00 in the end for someone to bring the thing to me.  Plus, its hotter if I go get it.  I have had many a luke-warm pizzas delivered to me in my time.
You might need to change the places you order from.  First, many have no delivery fee.  Second, if it took me 25 minutes to deliver it to you (after coming out the oven) it is a heck of a lot hotter in our warmer than if you drove 5-10 minutes in your own car.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

joeglow wrote:

You might need to change the places you order from.  First, many have no delivery fee.  Second, if it took me 25 minutes to deliver it to you (after coming out the oven) it is a heck of a lot hotter in our warmer than if you drove 5-10 minutes in your own car.

I have had hot/great pizza from all the 3 major delivery chains, (Domino's, Papa Johns, and Pizza Hut)  and I have had |expletive| from all 3.   |expletive| = barley lukewarm.  I would place that from being out of the oven for 45 mins until I get it.   So, in many cases, its still better quality if I just go get the thing.   The last carry-out I did from Papa Johns still was hot enough to burn my mouth when I ate the first few slices.  

I'm not saying that drivers don't put their cars through wear and tear, but If its better overall quality when I go get it, then its better for me.   It's the same as choosing where to dine-in.  If you can't get a good steak at "X", then you go to "Y".
Big E wrote:
(note:  I'm not singling you out bbinks.  Yours was just the most recent example in the thread.)
I agree that people are apt to tip less when they have less money, which ends up hurting the economy.

In My experience with delivery of pizzas, if quality would not be compromised, I'd pay the extra (tip) to not leave my house.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

Big E wrote:Complaining about $4-6 to have someone deliver a cooked pizza to your front door is right up there with complaining about $6 parking after dropping $300 on concert tickets.
No, it's not.

$5 on a $15 pizza is a 33% surcharge. $6 on $300 is 2%.

And I'm betting most people eat more $15 pizzas than drop $300 on concert tickets.
I agree that people are apt to tip less when they have less money, which ends up hurting the economy.
No, it hurts the pocketbooks of the delivery men and waitresses. It doesn't hurt the economy itself (per se, anyway, depends where the money goes instead of being tipped).
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

justnick wrote:What is this "tipping" of which you speak?
Cows?

Perhaps!  :lafcry:  :lafcry:  :lafcry:  :lafcry:  :lafcry:  :lafcry:  :lafcry:
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

OmahaBen wrote:No, it's not.

Yes, it is.  If the $5 is the make it or break it point, you couldn't afford the first $15 or $300 in the first place, regardless of percentage.  

Buy a decent frozen pizza and bake it yourself for $6.  Better yet, you can make the best damn pizza you've ever had yourself from scratch for about $9, and it will blow away anything you'll ever find anywhere in any store - and it is far easier than you think it is.
Stable genius.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

Big E wrote:

Yes, it is.  If the $5 is the make it or break it point, you couldn't afford the first $15 or $300 in the first place, regardless of percentage.  

Buy a decent frozen pizza and bake it yourself for $6.  Better yet, you can make the best darn pizza you've ever had yourself from scratch for about $9, and it will blow away anything you'll ever find anywhere in any store - and it is far easier than you think it is.
33% is 33%. Cumulatively you're spending an extra 33% every time you make that purchase, and $5 per transaction becomes $260/year if you get a pizza per week.

It's also not unreasonable to not want to pay a 33% markup for delivery; especially when there are other alternatives.

Tell you what, how about every time you order pizza, you send me $1. After all, $1 shouldn't make or break anyone, and if you can't afford that, then you shouldn't be ordering pizza.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

OmahaBen wrote:
Big E wrote:

Buy a decent frozen pizza and bake it yourself for $6.  Better yet, you can make the best darn pizza you've ever had yourself from scratch for about $9, and it will blow away anything you'll ever find anywhere in any store - and it is far easier than you think it is.
33% is 33%. Cumulatively you're spending an extra 33% every time you make that purchase, and $5 per transaction becomes $260/year if you get a pizza per week.

It's also not unreasonable to not want to pay a 33% markup for delivery; especially when there are other alternatives.

Tell you what, how about every time you order pizza, you send me $1. After all, $1 shouldn't make or break anyone, and if you can't afford that, then you shouldn't be ordering pizza.
I agree, and regardless, $5 is $5. That's dinner at Taco Bell. If I'm going downtown to the Old Market or the Qwest Center, I park on the street or in one of the lots around HofA Park or Rick's, never in the lots they charge for. I never have pizza delivered. Saving $5 each time you do that adds up. Look at it this way, if you get a pizza delivered or go to a place where you pay for parking one day of each weekend of the year, it will add up to $260. That is $260 essentially wasted. $260 you spent so you didn't have to walk as far or get your lazy |expletive| off the couch.

Isn't it that kind of frivolous spending that effed the banks over?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

OmahaBen wrote:33% is 33%. Cumulatively you're spending an extra 33% every time you make that purchase, and $5 per transaction becomes $260/year if you get a pizza per week.

33% is 33% and $5 is $5, but they're not apple to apples nor oranges to oranges.  There's a HUGE difference between value and expense.  If you're doing it because you can't afford the $5 delivery, you shouldn't be buying the $15 pizza to begin with.  If you're skipping it because the pizza place is on your way home, it makes sense.
OmahaBen wrote:Tell you what, how about every time you order pizza, you send me $1. After all, $1 shouldn't make or break anyone, and if you can't afford that, then you shouldn't be ordering pizza.
But I'm not getting anything for that $1, though, am I? (Or am I?:shock:)  If there's some value to the extra money being spent (ie, better/faster service for a good tip) it becomes worth it.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was about to say, start ordering real pizza and don't worry about tipping because the good places don't deliver but then I noticed Mangia Italiana does deliver.  However the other good pizza places like Mama's, Sargent Peffers, LaCasa, Orsi's all don't deliver.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

Big E wrote:33% is 33% and $5 is $5, but they're not apple to apples nor oranges to oranges.  There's a HUGE difference between value and expense.  If you're doing it because you can't afford the $5 delivery, you shouldn't be buying the $15 pizza to begin with.  If you're skipping it because the pizza place is on your way home, it makes sense.
It's a question of prudent spending. AA 33% surcharge means that you'll spend the same amount of money on three deliveries as I would on 4 pick-up orders. A dollar here, a dollar there, and all of a sudden we're talking about real money.
But I'm not getting anything for that $1, though, am I? (Or am I?:shock:)  If there's some value to the extra money being spent (ie, better/faster service for a good tip) it becomes worth it.
But that wasn't the point you were arguing before. You were saying that $5 shouldn't make or break anyone.
But if you want something for the $1, call it the "keep OmahaBen quiet" surcharge. You pay me the pizza surcharge, and I'll shut up here.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

mrdwhsr wrote:
bradley414 wrote:When my wife and I were Catholic we felt obligated to tip the Priests for any extra service on our behalf (wedding, baptisms, etc.).  IIRC there was a "suggested gift" to the Priest of $50 printed on our wedding manual from where we got married.  I never felt obligated to tip any pastor or saw anyone tip pastors outside of the Catholic church.
I thought it was pretty standard to tip a pastor for performing a wedding ceremony?(Ours wasn't a Catholic wedding). They are part of the wedding party, like bridesmaid and best man. If ushers and attendants get presents, why not the person performing the ceremony?

I have a few different thoughts on that.  Yes, the pastor/priest is part of the ceremony and it is very thoughtful to offer them a gift.  On the other hand, I think it is a bit distasteful for the church to publish a 'suggested gift' in their wedding manual.  Marriage is suppose to be a holy covenant and the church officiant should be honored to do their part in the ceremony.  If you're going to be a pastor and believe you're expanding the kingdom of heaven, are you really asking for tips?  Are these not the same guys who advocate the sanctity of marriage*?

*Gratuity not included.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
Adam
Home Owners Association

Post by Adam »

bradley414 wrote:
mrdwhsr wrote:

I have a few different thoughts on that.  Yes, the pastor/priest is part of the ceremony and it is very thoughtful to offer them a gift.  On the other hand, I think it is a bit distasteful for the church to publish a 'suggested gift' in their wedding manual.  Marriage is suppose to be a holy covenant and the church officiant should be honored to do their part in the ceremony.  If you're going to be a pastor and believe you're expanding the kingdom of heaven, are you really asking for tips?  Are these not the same guys who advocate the sanctity of marriage*?

*Gratuity not included.
I have never understood this either.  Pastors/Priests are not tipped when performing other sacraments (ie. Baptism, First Communion, Confirmation).  Why is Marriage treated differently?
omaproud
Home Owners Association

Post by omaproud »

Adam, one big difference is those other sacraments are usually given during a regular church service, but weddings are a special event unto themselves.
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

bradley414 wrote:
mrdwhsr wrote:

*Gratuity not included.
I'm not familiar with the wedding manual that included the 'suggested tip'. That is in pretty poor taste. About as distasteful as a business posting prices: "HAIRCUT $12.00, suggested tip $5.00". I see your point about that.
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

Adam wrote: I have never understood this either.  Pastors/Priests are not tipped when performing other sacraments (ie. Baptism, First Communion, Confirmation).  Why is Marriage treated differently?
Not all church members get married? Maybe that is the answer, I dunno...
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

One more argument for gay marriage:

Gay guys are good tippers.   :;):
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Fabulous, even.
DTO
Adam
Home Owners Association

Post by Adam »

omaproud wrote:Adam, one big difference is those other sacraments are usually given during a regular church service, but weddings are a special event unto themselves.
I see your point.  It still just is a weird concept to me though to have to tip for a religious service.  It is what it is.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Adam wrote:It still just is a weird concept to me though to have to tip for a religious service.
I thought it was customary. Known as the "offering". :)
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

At the Starbucks in SuperTarget, they are not allowed to accept tips.  I always offer and they always decline, no matter which Target I am in.

Greg
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I'm impressed that this thread has made it to 3 pages :)  Either people are just really passionate about tipping/not tipping, or there REALLY needs to be some |expletive| starting to happen soon to talk about instead.
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

thenewguy wrote:I'm impressed that this thread has made it to 3 pages :)  Either people are just really passionate about tipping/not tipping, or there REALLY needs to be some |expletive| starting to happen soon to talk about instead.
Or its a thread that people can argue and argue about with never seeing eye to eye.