Nebraska Wind Energy

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Report: Wind power would boost economy, but Nebraska still lagging behind neighboring states
Grant Schulte, Associated Press wrote:Nebraska ranks as the fourth-best wind-producing state in the nation but 25th in the amount it could produce with the equipment currently has installed, according to the report commissioned on behalf of the Nebraska Sierra Club. Nebraska lags behind its neighboring states: Iowa, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado and Kansas. Skip Laitner, an Arizona-based energy economist who authored the report, said expanding wind energy could save Nebraska consumers a combined $3.8 billion over the next two decades. Laitner said a wind energy expansion could yield nearly 14,000 new jobs in Nebraska over the next two decades.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Was Iowa's data center success due to wind energy?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130424/N ... ind-energy
Paul Hammel and Andrew J. Nelson WORLD-HERALD BUREAU wrote:One of the factors cited Tuesday in steering the much sought-after project to Altoona, Iowa, instead of Kearney, Neb., is that renewable energy is a big deal for Facebook.

The social networking giant's goal is to obtain 25 percent of the power for its data centers from renewable sources, like wind, by 2015.

And Iowa has it, ranking No. 3 nationally last year in the generation of wind energy, according to the American Wind Energy Association. Nebraska was No. 26.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I don't think it was ever in doubt where the data center was to be located - as least in Palo Alto it wasn't.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

S33 wrote:I don't think it was ever in doubt where the data center was to be located - as least in Palo Alto it wasn't.
what's your point?  Are you doubting the wind energy connection?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

The lack of wind energy in Nebraska has more to do with the fact that most power is provided by public entities, and Republicans are mostly in charge politically across Nebraska.... and aren't typically big advocates of "Green" energy resources such as wind or solar. Plus we have (or had) two nuclear plants.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

nebport5 wrote:
S33 wrote:I don't think it was ever in doubt where the data center was to be located - as least in Palo Alto it wasn't.
I think there are a lot of things about Nebraska which put it at a disadvantage with a more liberal company like Facebook, and I think a lack of available renewable energy was the icing on the cake.

Clearly, if renewable energy was that important to Facebook, Nebraska didn't stand a chance.

that's my point.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

S33 wrote:
nebport5 wrote:
I think there are a lot of things about Nebraska which put it at a disadvantage with a more liberal company like Facebook, and I think a lack of available renewable energy was the icing on the cake.

Clearly, if renewable energy was that important to Facebook, Nebraska didn't stand a chance.

that's my point.

I suppose Nebraska is at the same disadvantage to Iowa when liberal hollywood consistently chooses to go across...to the rivers of opportunity for film tax incentives.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

nebport5 wrote:
S33 wrote:
nebport5 wrote:

that's my point.

I suppose Nebraska is at the same disadvantage to Iowa when liberal hollywood consistently chooses to go across...to the rivers of opportunity for film tax incentives.
No idea about that, or if that was sarcasm...  :?
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

S33 wrote:
nebport5 wrote:
S33 wrote:
nebport5 wrote:

that's my point.

No idea about that, or if that was sarcasm...  :?

Yes.  I'm saying Iowa has much better tax incentives beyond wind energy...and thus it's less about the political leaning of a business and more about financial opportunity.  How sad is it when a lauded filmmaker from Nebraska can barely produce a film in and called 'Nebraska' because neighboring states have favorable incentives, as opposed to none?
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Meanwhile...

Tax break for wind energy sweeps forward in Nebraska Legislature
OWH wrote:The state would be poised to gain a $300 million wind farm under a bill given resounding initial approval Wednesday.

The measure would provide a sales tax exemption for the purchase of turbines, towers and other wind-farm components — a tax break that nearby states Iowa, Kansas and Oklahoma have parlayed into a wind-energy boom.

Meanwhile, Nebraska has lagged behind, ranking 26th of the 39 states that generate wind energy, despite having the fourth-best wind resources in the country.
Coyote
City Council

Nebraska Wind Power

Post by Coyote »

I still don't know why Nebraska is not on the cutting edge of Wind Power.

What are the windiest states and cities?
Washington Post wrote:For the purpose of identifying the states offering the best wind power resources, the Department of Energy has analyzed which have the strongest and lightest winds. The windiest weather tends to occur in the Plains, while the least windy weather occurs in the Southeast.

The top 5 windiest states are: Nebraska (1), Kansas (2), South Dakota (3), North Dakota (4), and Iowa (5).

The top 5 least windy states are: Mississipi (1), Florida (2), Kentucky (3), Georgia (4),and Alabama (5).
Brad
City Council

Re: Nebraska Wind Power

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:I still don't know why Nebraska is not on the cutting edge of Wind Power.
The Conservative Values.... The Wind is very liberal.

They always blame it on being a public power state, but whatever the reason, its a waste... Every time I drive across Iowa, I see the potential.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Re: Nebraska Wind Energy

Post by guitarguy »

I still think when you crunch the numbers calculating the ROI for wind power you'll see that its a huge cost up front and highly doubtful when you factor in continuing maintenence of the turbines that they will ever break even by just producing electricity.
Mort Sullivan

Re: Nebraska Wind Power

Post by Mort Sullivan »

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:I still don't know why Nebraska is not on the cutting edge of Wind Power.
The Conservative Values....  The Wind is very liberal.

They always blame it on being a public power state, but whatever the reason, its a waste...  Every time I drive across Iowa, I see the potential.
And, being a typical liberal who is blind to math, you fail to realize that the Return On Investment is non-existent for wind turbines.

But gee, they're pretty, aren't they? :roll:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wow, first time in my life I have ever been called a Liberal...
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Brad wrote:Wow, first time in my life I have ever been called a Liberal...
Maybe, but he has a point. Run the numbers and without tax subsidies, these wind farms don't make money. Sorry for the "hate fact", but there is no getting around the math. There is a reason that Lincoln stopped at 2 and OPPD stopped at 1. When you have to pay for these out of your own money, they are not that good of a deal.

The windmills have basic physics limits. The longer you make the arms, the more volts you can generate, but the longer the arms, the greater the mass and thus inertia. The inertia creates a wind speed floor below which, they don't turn and are parked. They are directional and if the wind is not blowing in the right direction, they are parked. The longer arms are a torque issue and fracture easily thus creating a wind speed ceiling that causes them to get parked when the wind speed is too high. So, you don't get power when the wind is too slow, too fast, or just blowing the wrong way.

I would rather see Nebraska's Engineering programs spend their time researching "locovore" approaches to alternative energy. Solar power roofing that could take a hail storm? Small windmills that could generate a little electricity for a given home? Rewiring houses to have high voltage AC circuits for machines and HVAC and low voltage DC circuits for TV's and cell phones? This change would eliminate the need to transform DC solar into AC only to step it back down to low voltage DC to power a smartphone or TV. That would make small scale wind and solar more efficient as the generated power could be used to pour into deep-cycle battery arrays that could then be tapped for the DC needs.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I never said they were a financially sound alternative, but I think they can be part of a better system. I also don't always think the cheapest way is the best way either. Sometimes its worth spending a little more on quality.

Honestly, I don't really care how we get our energy, but there is just something about seeing that brown cloud that stretches for miles and miles out of the Lake Manawa Power Plant that bothers me.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Is Renewable Energy a "Good" Investment
MIT wrote:The experience of UPS and others shows that renewable energy must cross not one but two thresholds to be widely embraced by corporations. The first has already been crossed—the technology is no longer a bad investment. Now, it’s mostly a middling one, much like a money market account to an individual investor. But the threshold that some companies are now approaching is potentially even more momentous: that in some cases renewables are on the cusp of “good.” If this second threshold gets crossed, the game changes.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bigredmed wrote:
Brad wrote:Wow, first time in my life I have ever been called a Liberal...
Maybe, but he has a point.  Run the numbers and without tax subsidies, these wind farms don't make money.  Sorry for the "hate fact", but there is no getting around the math.  There is a reason that Lincoln stopped at 2 and OPPD stopped at 1.  When you have to pay for these out of your own money, they are not that good of a deal.
They may have stopped at one for direct ownership but they have third party interest in Wind Energy generation where they have contracted to buy X amount. They are in the game just not owners. I have sat in meeting with higher up's in OPPD where they touted this as part of their plan to supply renewable energy.

This part is editorial but I am sure the reason they are not owners but contract the power from other owners is to max the subsidies. Guessing that they do not qualify for some as a PPD that others wold qualify for.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

A quick search finds this OPPD page that touts there use of wind energy

http://www.oppd.com/AimGreen/Environment/22_005794" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Our family doesn't have the farm anymore, but at one time, two of these proposed turbine's were going to be located on my Grandpa's old farm. His farm was located on the left side of the smaller of the two purple boxes on the OWH Map.

Weather service concerned over impact of Nebraska wind farm on radar

http://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/weat ... 73d8a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nancy Gaarder / World-Herald staff writer wrote:A commercial wind farm proposed for south-central Nebraska would interfere with a National Weather Service radar station more than any other in the nation.

Dozens of turbines, each standing nearly 20 stories tall, would be built 2½ miles to 7 miles from the radar station at Blue Hill that serves south-central Nebraska and north-central Kansas.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I've seen a handful of turbine blades going west on the interstate this week. Is that where they are going?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.bherenewables.com/news_renewables.aspx
BHE Renewables, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Energy, today announced plans to construct a 400-megawatt wind farm in Holt County, Nebraska – the largest wind energy project in the state’s history. The project will increase Nebraska’s wind energy capacity by nearly 50 percent and represents the first project in the state for BHE Renewables.

“We are excited to be constructing this wind farm in Holt County, our first project in the state,” said Bill Fehrman, president and CEO of BHE Renewables. “The Grande Prairie project will have a major impact on Nebraska’s economy and energy future while helping our customer, Omaha Public Power District, meet its long-term renewable goals.”

“We are very pleased to be working with BHE Renewables to continue to move this project forward,” said Tim Burke, incoming OPPD president and CEO. “When we announced a long-term power purchase agreement to buy 100 percent of the wind generation from this facility several months ago, our goal was to plan for the future and position OPPD to have more than 30 percent of our future retail generation come from renewable sources. This will put us on the path to make that happen.”

BHE Renewables plans to begin construction at Grande Prairie this summer with completion scheduled for the end of 2016.

Fehrman said the project will create an estimated 350 temporary construction jobs and 12 to 15 on-site permanent full-time jobs while generating over $4 million per year in landowner lease payments, contributions to a community fund, and tax revenue for the county, schools, fire districts and townships.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:http://www.bherenewables.com/news_renewables.aspx
BHE Renewables, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Energy, today announced plans to construct a 400-megawatt wind farm in Holt County, Nebraska – the largest wind energy project in the state’s history. The project will increase Nebraska’s wind energy capacity by nearly 50 percent and represents the first project in the state for BHE Renewables.

“We are excited to be constructing this wind farm in Holt County, our first project in the state,” said Bill Fehrman, president and CEO of BHE Renewables. “The Grande Prairie project will have a major impact on Nebraska’s economy and energy future while helping our customer, Omaha Public Power District, meet its long-term renewable goals.”

“We are very pleased to be working with BHE Renewables to continue to move this project forward,” said Tim Burke, incoming OPPD president and CEO. “When we announced a long-term power purchase agreement to buy 100 percent of the wind generation from this facility several months ago, our goal was to plan for the future and position OPPD to have more than 30 percent of our future retail generation come from renewable sources. This will put us on the path to make that happen.”

BHE Renewables plans to begin construction at Grande Prairie this summer with completion scheduled for the end of 2016.

Fehrman said the project will create an estimated 350 temporary construction jobs and 12 to 15 on-site permanent full-time jobs while generating over $4 million per year in landowner lease payments, contributions to a community fund, and tax revenue for the county, schools, fire districts and townships.

Gosh darn Libruls and their fancy smancy field fans!
No posts exist for this topic
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Cool video

[youtube][/youtube]
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Spent the day yesterday touring around the Prairie Breeze wind farm by Elgin, NE. There were a lot more turbines up there than I thought and they are in the process of adding 36 more.

On the way back to town, we also stopped by a 4 turbine project near Creston, NE. They are just building the bases right now, really cool to see how much rebar and concrete is buried underground.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

On a trip to Des Moines recently I noticed that all of the turbines along the way rotate clockwise. Nebraska should go counter clockwise just to be different.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I find it fascinating that home sized wind turbines are now less than $5K and others are even cheaper. In the future I think you'll see rooftop home wind turbines just like you see solar panels.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Saturday Morning I was driving on L street to go South on 75 By Johnny's.

There was two wind turbine blade trucks that were coming off 75 South bound and trying to turn on to L street West bound. It was not going well. This was the first one and they were at a standstill trying to figure things out.

My though was why in the world would they be on this rout and wanting to go down L street with I 80 and 370 as options. The second truck was waiting on the off ramp.
Attachments
IMG_2799b.jpg
IMG_2799b.jpg (74.86 KiB) Viewed 6905 times
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Haha, nice.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wonder if they missed their turn and sure have been on I80 instead. I would guess they were heading out to 275 and then NW if they were for a local project.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Wonder if they missed their turn and sure have been on I80 instead. I would guess they were heading out to 275 and then NW if they were for a local project.
That can be the only reason they would be on L street. Not know the roads is part two. If they missed the I 80 turn they would have went to 370.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Shot this tonight near the new Creston, Nebraksa Wind Farm.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Brad wrote:Shot this tonight near the new Creston, Nebraksa Wind Farm.
Any clue how many are they putting up at this location?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Louie wrote:Any clue how many are they putting up at this location?
Only 4 on these project as of now. These 3 and the fourth is to the right of these three. I have no clue if there are any long range plans for more in this area.

Head west a ways towards Elgin and there are over 100.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

NextEra’s wind energy capacity in Nebraska will more than triple with new projects

http://www.omaha.com/money/nextera-s-wi ... 10010.html
By Cole Epley / World-Herald staff writer wrote: The largest owner of wind energy projects in the U.S. has two projects in the pipeline in Nebraska that will more than triple the capacity of its installed wind here in the next 2½ years.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Brad wrote:NextEra’s wind energy capacity in Nebraska will more than triple with new projects

http://www.omaha.com/money/nextera-s-wi ... 10010.html
By Cole Epley / World-Herald staff writer wrote: The largest owner of wind energy projects in the U.S. has two projects in the pipeline in Nebraska that will more than triple the capacity of its installed wind here in the next 2½ years.
Awesome news!
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I'm very excited to hear about this. Only 10 short years ago wind energy was seen as something only hippies were interested in. Now it's good business! Soon Nebraska will once again have some of the cheapest electricity in the country. I would love it if someday, the city allowed quiet wind turbines to be used by businesses and homeowners. It would be great to have in the event of a natural disaster.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

daveoma wrote:I would love it if someday, the city allowed quiet wind turbines to be used by businesses and homeowners. It would be great to have in the event of a natural disaster.
There were 4, a House on 72 and Cass had one, Morrissey Engineering has had 2 different turbines, and a John Deere place on Industrial road has one, and at one time Rockbrook Village had one.

-The house on Cass has since removed theirs and replaced it with a large american flag, so may be that's a statement that they forced them to removed it. It was there for quite a while along with a bunch of solar that is still there.
-Morrissey's last one was ruined in a storm, not sure what happened to their first one.
-The John Deere one is still there last I looked
-Can't remember why Rockbrook took theirs down, but I think its in the Rockbrook thread.

In addition to those, Creighton has several on campus.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Brad wrote:
daveoma wrote:I would love it if someday, the city allowed quiet wind turbines to be used by businesses and homeowners. It would be great to have in the event of a natural disaster.
There were 4, a House on 72 and Cass had one, Morrissey Engineering has had 2 different turbines, and a John Deere place on Industrial road has one, and at one time Rockbrook Village had one.

-The house on Cass has since removed theirs and replaced it with a large american flag, so may be that's a statement that they forced them to removed it. It was there for quite a while along with a bunch of solar that is still there.
-Morrissey's last one was ruined in a storm, not sure what happened to their first one.
-The John Deere one is still there last I looked
-Can't remember why Rockbrook took theirs down, but I think its in the Rockbrook thread.

In addition to those, Creighton has several on campus.
I think it would be awesome if someone took this to the city council. IMO residential wind in Omaha has the potential to be more viable than solar. Plus if we passed a law allowing it, then we'd be one of the first in the nation to do so as far as I know.