General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

buildomaha
Human Relations

Re: Nebraska Wind Energy

Post by buildomaha »

daveoma wrote:
Brad wrote:
daveoma wrote:I would love it if someday, the city allowed quiet wind turbines to be used by businesses and homeowners. It would be great to have in the event of a natural disaster.
There were 4, a House on 72 and Cass had one, Morrissey Engineering has had 2 different turbines, and a John Deere place on Industrial road has one, and at one time Rockbrook Village had one.

-The house on Cass has since removed theirs and replaced it with a large american flag, so may be that's a statement that they forced them to removed it. It was there for quite a while along with a bunch of solar that is still there.
-Morrissey's last one was ruined in a storm, not sure what happened to their first one.
-The John Deere one is still there last I looked
-Can't remember why Rockbrook took theirs down, but I think its in the Rockbrook thread.

In addition to those, Creighton has several on campus.
I think it would be awesome if someone took this to the city council. IMO residential wind in Omaha has the potential to be more viable than solar. Plus if we passed a law allowing it, then we'd be one of the first in the nation to do so as far as I know.
This sounds like something that would attract Elon Musk and his battery packs!
#gohawks
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

buildomaha wrote:
daveoma wrote:
Brad wrote:
daveoma wrote:I would love it if someday, the city allowed quiet wind turbines to be used by businesses and homeowners. It would be great to have in the event of a natural disaster.
There were 4, a House on 72 and Cass had one, Morrissey Engineering has had 2 different turbines, and a John Deere place on Industrial road has one, and at one time Rockbrook Village had one.

-The house on Cass has since removed theirs and replaced it with a large american flag, so may be that's a statement that they forced them to removed it. It was there for quite a while along with a bunch of solar that is still there.
-Morrissey's last one was ruined in a storm, not sure what happened to their first one.
-The John Deere one is still there last I looked
-Can't remember why Rockbrook took theirs down, but I think its in the Rockbrook thread.

In addition to those, Creighton has several on campus.
I think it would be awesome if someone took this to the city council. IMO residential wind in Omaha has the potential to be more viable than solar. Plus if we passed a law allowing it, then we'd be one of the first in the nation to do so as far as I know.
This sounds like something that would attract Elon Musk and his battery packs!
EXACTLY!!! Consider not having to pay another OPPD bill in your life, because your wind turbines were constantly recharging your battery packs. When the wind isn't blowing, then your house would be powered by your batteries. It could change everything. :D :D :D
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.wowt.com/content/news/Facebo ... 12333.html
In announcing the Papillion project earlier the company said "It will be powered by 100% clean and renewable energy and will create thousands of jobs in the community over the next few years."

On Thursday the company said, "To ensure we are able to power our Papillion data center with clean and renewable energy, we came together with Omaha Public Power District (OPPD) to create a new tariff that ensures renewable energy solutions are accessible not just to Facebook, but other companies as well. With the new tariff in place, we were able to seek new Nebraska wind projects to meet our goal of powering our Papillion operations with 100 percent clean and renewable energy."

Facebook says the company worked with OPPD and Tradewind Energy to partner on a large new wind farm, known as the Rattlesnake Creek Wind Project. The project is located in Dixon County, Nebraska, about about 100 miles from the data center. It's expected to create up to 300 additional construction jobs.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Half of OPPD's energy will come from renewable sources by 2020, CEO says

http://www.omaha.com/money/half-of-oppd ... b2462.html
Cole Epley / World-Herald Bureau wrote:LINCOLN — Omaha Public Power District President and Chief Executive Tim Burke said half the energy the utility sells to retail customers will come from renewable sources by the end of 2020.

Burke said in remarks over lunch at the 10th annual Nebraska Wind and Solar Conference on Monday that the utility is working on a request for proposals for up to 300 megawatts more of wind energy.

Once that project is online, more than 50 percent of OPPD’s retail sales will come from renewable energy sources.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OPPD's board set to take an environmental tilt. What will it mean for electricity costs?
Aaron Sanderford / World-Herald staff writer wrote: This fall, three candidates who won their races for the OPPD board focused on something else: Each said the district’s environmental goals aim too low, that OPPD should deliver more than half of its electricity from renewable sources.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

OWH changed their access structure so I don't have access to digital content anymore.
Did anyone read the article they put out the other day on NE's potential to be a leader in renewable energy? Was there any new/useful information or was it just a summary of everything we already know and captain obvious OWH bs?
#gohawks
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

buildomaha wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:43 pm OWH changed their access structure so I don't have access to digital content anymore.
Did anyone read the article they put out the other day on NE's potential to be a leader in renewable energy? Was there any new/useful information or was it just a summary of everything we already know and captain obvious OWH bs?
One that stood out to me is that with the current proposed/currently under construction wind energy projects in the state, it's poised to double its capacity once they are all completed. No timeline provided, or specifics.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

ita wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:12 pm
buildomaha wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:43 pm OWH changed their access structure so I don't have access to digital content anymore.
One that stood out to me is that with the current proposed/currently under construction wind energy projects in the state, it's poised to double its capacity once they are all completed. No timeline provided, or specifics.
They need to double wind capacity just to keep up with clean energy requirement for these new data centers.

OPPD sold out of their solar shares before they officially announced that you could buy them. It sounds like the wait list is long enough that it could fill the second phase. I purchased solar shares as Nebraska's laws and OPPD's new pricing structure make rooftop solar tough. Flying into Omaha this weekend you could see the solar farm taking shape and it looked like a great use for useless land.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Trips wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:03 pm
They need to double wind capacity just to keep up with clean energy requirement for these new data centers.

OPPD sold out of their solar shares before they officially announced that you could buy them. It sounds like the wait list is long enough that it could fill the second phase. I purchased solar shares as Nebraska's laws and OPPD's new pricing structure make rooftop solar tough. Flying into Omaha this weekend you could see the solar farm taking shape and it looked like a great use for useless land.
The article also identified other businesses that are buying wind energy, including Smuckers and Hormel. The demand is there and growing; however, it's too bad Nebraska has been slow in adopting wind energy.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Trips wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:03 pm

I think I might have missed this--is there a new solar farm being built near Omaha? When I googled it, the only one I found was one near Kearney.
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

Rock Harbor just earned his second 7 day ban.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

I realize that a lot of hot air has been blowing on this topic recently. How about a return to the topic with some reaction to the physicists and energy researchers publishing data suggesting that wind is far less efficient than we thought and to replace fossil fuels would require more land area than we have?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I cleaned a bunch of trash out of this thread and much of the posts that referenced to it. No let's try and stay on topic and avoid other "vacations"
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

bigredmed1 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:43 pm I realize that a lot of hot air has been blowing on this topic recently. How about a return to the topic with some reaction to the physicists and energy researchers publishing data suggesting that wind is far less efficient than we thought and to replace fossil fuels would require more land area than we have?
The alternative would be the possible extinction of homo sapiens, or at the very least the ending of civilization as we know it, so whether the alternative is wind or something else, we must find a replacement for fossil fuels. Even if that were true, I think with increasing technology and innovation will improve the efficiency of wind turbines. I think in the future there could be residential wind turbines in urban areas. Similar to how homes have solar panels, I think you might see one or two wind turbines per home that is used to generate electricity, and recharge batteries that will supply electricity during days when the wind is calm.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

The transition to renewables should be done in an “Edison” fashion, which is exactly what you’re describing Dave! Less emphasis on huge wind/solar farms and battery farms (all of which are definitely still necessary though) and more power in the hands of the people actually using the power. This would be easier to roll out as it wouldn’t require giant construction projects, just individuals installing wind and solar with batteries on their houses. Not only that, but we will be less reliant on our energy corporations overloads (that we thankfully don’t have to deal with in the public power state). Although the time may be too late for this type of solution due to the dire situation the planet is in and how little time we have to fix this.
#gohawks
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

buildomaha wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:05 pm The transition to renewables should be done in an “Edison” fashion, which is exactly what you’re describing Dave! Less emphasis on huge wind/solar farms and battery farms (all of which are definitely still necessary though) and more power in the hands of the people actually using the power. This would be easier to roll out as it wouldn’t require giant construction projects, just individuals installing wind and solar with batteries on their houses. Not only that, but we will be less reliant on our energy corporations overloads (that we thankfully don’t have to deal with in the public power state). Although the time may be too late for this type of solution due to the dire situation the planet is in and how little time we have to fix this.
You've touched on an issue that I've been interested in for quite some time. I think the eventual goal should be to (ideally) have homes and businesses generating their own power, and for me it's more of a national security issue. Most people don't know this, but Russia has hacked into our power grid. They didn't shut anything down, but the fact that they could have has staggering Implications. Centralized sources of power are vulnerable, regardless of the type of power generated. The current political climate/political class has not encouraged a plan of action to counter this. They're too busy playing golf with oil, gas and coal lobbyists.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I noticed there was a solar array on the west side of I-29 at about mile marker 109 --- just north of Blencoe.

We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I will just leave this here. If you take the time to read it you will see that Nebraska is participating in Iowa wind energy.

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/news ... CbLv9NvOXw
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!