Problems for Billy Frogg's

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Problems for Billy Frogg's

Post by Guest »

Interesting document from the NE Liquor Commission. Haven't heard much, but the document seems pretty clear. The original document can be found on the NE Liquor Commission website under the LEGAL section, Suspend/Fines

BEFORE THE NEBRASKA LIQUOR CONTROL COMMISSION

In Re:  Selser Two Inc   )    
 “Billy Frogg's”   )  
1120 Howard Street   ) ORDER
 Omaha NE  68102   )
      )
On Suspension, Cancellation or Revocation of )  
Class C-17065 Liquor License   )

[center] Now on the 7th day of May, 2009, this matter came on for hearing before the
Nebraska Liquor Control Commission, notice having been served upon the licensee to
appear and respond to an administrative citation alleging that the license should be
suspended, cancelled or revoked as more fully set out herein.
In accordance with the Commission's policies, a proper notice of this hearing was
sent by U.S. Certified Mail, return receipt requested, and was received and signed for on
April 15, 2009.
The licensee was not present nor represented.  The Commission was represented
by Milissa Johnson-Wiles, Assistant Attorney General.
Upon consideration of all the evidence in this case, the Nebraska Liquor Control
Commission finds:
1. That the licensee did, on or about August 29, 2008, allow or permit a
disturbance in or about the licensed premises, in violation of 237-LCC6-
019.01F of the Rules and Regulations of the Nebraska Liquor Control
Commission.
2. That the license should be cancelled.
IT IS THEREFORE CONSIDERED, ORDERED, ADJUDGED AND
DECREED that Class C Liquor License of Selser Two Inc., dba "Billy Frogg's", 1120
Howard Street, Omaha, Nebraska, should be, and the same hereby is, cancelled, effective
at the closing hour of business on the 5th day of July, 2009.
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that the licensee shall pay costs of this action,
assessed in the amount of $186.18 within 30 days from the date of this Order.
Dated this ______ day of June, 2009.

[/center]
  NEBRASKA LIQUOR CONTROL COMMISSION

BY ________________________________________
     (Chairman)
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Draaamaaaaaaaa!
RegisResident
Home Owners Association

Post by RegisResident »

My guess is that they will appeal it. There are some residents in that area that don't really to encourage/support a nightlife in the Old Market/Downtown area and they probably filed a complaint (probably not the first complaint either). It's too bad since it makes a lot more sense to go out downtown where you can park and walk to multiple bars instead of having to drive to each bar in West O.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

RegisResident wrote:My guess is that they will appeal it. There are some residents in that area that don't really to encourage/support a nightlife in the Old Market/Downtown area and they probably filed a complaint (probably not the first complaint either). It's too bad since it makes a lot more sense to go out downtown where you can park and walk to multiple bars instead of having to drive to each bar in West O.
What is there to appeal?  They didn't even bother to show up.  Any appeal would be heard strictly on the evidence presented at the earlier hearing.
cpomponne
New to the Neighborhood

Post by cpomponne »

Well the Liquor Commission's site says the cancellation of their license is temporarily lifted...either because of a request for rehearing or because it was stayed by the courts

But Im curious to know what type of disturbance they had and didn't do anything about to get it cancelled...
Midtown Gal
Home Owners Association

Billy Frogs (downtown) loses its liquor license

Post by Midtown Gal »

Apparently the bouncers at Billy Frogs have some serious anger issues.  And please note the picture of the kid's mangled face in the article - ouch!

http://www.ketv.com/news/20081235/detail.html
S33
County Board

Re: Billy Frogs (downtown) loses its liquor license

Post by S33 »

Midtown Gal wrote:Apparently the bouncers at Billy Frogs have some serious anger issues.  And please note the picture of the kid's mangled face in the article - ouch!

http://www.ketv.com/news/20081235/detail.html
Yeah, they hire some real thuggish dirtbags as bouncers. I personally, and several other people I know have had our fair share of run-ins with those guys. I also remember one time recently where one of the bouncers let some loud mouthed ghetto chick harass patrons as they were entering the bar. She didn't even work there and she was demanding ID's or people could "f-ing leave".

Needless to say, I refuse to spend a dime in that |expletive|-hole.
RegisResident
Home Owners Association

Post by RegisResident »

I read both the OWH and KETV articles and it sounds like the guy was being a jerk- first he arrives wasted with a beer in his hand and then starts giving the bouncer a hard time because the guy was wasted and the bouncer didn't want him in the bar. I don't think bouncers should kick the |expletive| out of drunk fools but sometimes they really deserve it... maybe this guy just got what he deserved. Also, where were his friends when the beating happened? I would think that they would have stepped in and said enough is enough or pulled him away.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

RegisResident wrote:I read both the OWH and KETV articles and it sounds like the guy was being a jerk- first he arrives wasted with a beer in his hand and then starts giving the bouncer a hard time because the guy was wasted and the bouncer didn't want him in the bar. I don't think bouncers should kick the |expletive| out of drunk fools but sometimes they really deserve it... maybe this guy just got what he deserved. Also, where were his friends when the beating happened? I would think that they would have stepped in and said enough is enough or pulled him away.
There is never an excuse for a bouncer to beat the sht out of anyone. It's a simple fact that you get what you pay for. If you refuse to spend the extra money for an off duty officer or a security professional, your sailing in a sea of liability.

Nobody deserves to get their face pounded in for showing up drunk and rowdy to an establishment where people go to get drunk. Trust me, it's no secret how thuggish their bouncers act.
Murz
Home Owners Association

Post by Murz »

RegisResident wrote:I read both the OWH and KETV articles and it sounds like the guy was being a jerk- first he arrives wasted with a beer in his hand and then starts giving the bouncer a hard time because the guy was wasted and the bouncer didn't want him in the bar. I don't think bouncers should kick the |expletive| out of drunk fools but sometimes they really deserve it... maybe this guy just got what he deserved. Also, where were his friends when the beating happened? I would think that they would have stepped in and said enough is enough or pulled him away.
Sorry, but your logic is flawed. A bouncer is there to protect and control the chaos....much like a Police Officer. Your logic would allow Police Officers to kick the |expletive| out of citizens if they are drunk and mouthy. As we all know, this happens but Officers get fired and Cities get sued.

If you can't control the chaos you create, changes need to happen.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

There is a distinct difference between showing someone to the parking lot, and showing them the parking lot.   There is this forum and the ones on ketv and wowt.  All seem to have people who encountered bouncers that crossed the line.  When the owner and/or manager does not deter this behavior, then they deserved to lose their license.
annad
Home Owners Association

Post by annad »

I never had any problems with the bouncers, but it seems that girls tend to have different bouncer experiences than guys.  I didn't particularly care for Billy Frog's; it always felt like a frat party to me, but at least it kept those guys out of venues that I do like.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Funny thing, I used to like Billy Frogg's and that type of place. Then after going to places like Urban Wine and Myth for awhile, I went back to BF's to meet up with a friend. After it took me 20 mins to get a beer and not being able to hear myself think, I wondered how I ever went there in the first place. I guess that what happens post 30.  :D
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

the1wags wrote:Funny thing, I used to like Billy Frogg's and that type of place. Then after going to places like Urban Wine and Myth for awhile, I went back to BF's to meet up with a friend. After it took me 20 mins to get a beer and not being able to hear myself think, I wondered how I ever went there in the first place. I guess that what happens post 30.  :D
I totally agree.  Some of those bars along 10th street could be lumped in to the same "too crowded" catigory.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Brad wrote:
I totally agree.  Some of those bars along 10th street could be lumped in to the same "too crowded" catigory.
Oh yeah, I know Houston's in Southport (East Port?) and On the Rocks are looking for bartenders. (I think you asked about that in a different thread). Not sure if you were looking for more of a neighborhood bar or something in Omaha...but they are looking.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

the1wags wrote:Funny thing, I used to like Billy Frogg's and that type of place. Then after going to places like Urban Wine and Myth for awhile, I went back to BF's to meet up with a friend. After it took me 20 mins to get a beer and not being able to hear myself think, I wondered how I ever went there in the first place. I guess that what happens post 30.  :D
heck yeah.  Give me the Observatory over ANY of those bars any night of the week.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Problems for Billy Frogg's

Post by iamjacobm »

Billy Frogg's apparently getting larger. Requesting that their liquor license be expanded to the bay to the east.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

iamjacobm wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:03 pm Billy Frogg's apparently getting larger. Requesting that their liquor license be expanded to the bay to the east.
Another to extend their license to their basement.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

iamjacobm wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:14 pm
iamjacobm wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:03 pm Billy Frogg's apparently getting larger. Requesting that their liquor license be expanded to the bay to the east.
Another to extend their license to their basement.
Cool. I love basement bars.