IPhone vs. Blackberry vs. Droid

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

So - what is the skinny on Verizon's Droid?
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I just splurged and got a droid. I'll let you know if I want to break it. :)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The guy next to me at work just got one too... I don't think he has done a dam thing today except play with his phone!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:The guy next to me at work just got one too... I don't think he has done a dam thing today except play with his phone!
I bet he ends up shooting a cop because of it, too.  Or does that only apply to kids?
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

No, that only applies to hamster robots, beanie babies, tickle me elmo, cabbage patch kids and video games.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Upgraded to Blackberry 5.0 software tonight.  Way better than 4.7 or whatever I was running before.  It definitely moved Blackberry way closer to the Iphone!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Exemption Will Allow ‘Jailbreaking’ of iPhones
New York Times wrote:IPhone owners who want to use software not blessed by Apple may now do so without fear of legal repercussions.

The Library of Congress, which has the power to define exceptions to an important copyright law, said on Monday that it was legal to bypass a phone’s controls on what software it will run to get “lawfully obtained” programs to work.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation, a nonprofit digital rights group, had asked for that exception to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to allow the so-called jailbreaking of iPhones and other devices.

In addition to the decision on jailbreaking, the Library of Congress also granted an exception to artists who remix copy-protected video content for noncommercial work, and renewed its approval for cellphone owners to “unlock” their phones or lift controls that restrict use to one particular wireless carrier.
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

My company forced us all onto Blackberry Curves a few months ago and I've learned to hate BB's with a passion.  The battery life is great, and I consistently get my corporate email.  That's the only pluses.  The keys are too frakking small.  The screen sucks.  I hate how it sorts my email.  Navigating to other email folders is horrible.  The apps available are all next to worthless.  And internet browsing on it is painful....and I can't begin to explain how much of an understatement that is.  It's slow.  And even when it does finally work I get so many VB or java errors it's not even worth it.

I will say that the curve is a rather tough phone though.  I've dropped it, thrown it, slammed it down more times than I can count and it's kept on ticking.....unfortunately.

I eventually said heck with it and got a Droid Incredible on my own account.  I love it.  I like it better than my iPod touch as far as the interface goes.  1000x more customizable.  The app market isn't quite up to what the Apple market is, but it's quickly getting there.  Best of all, I'm not stuck with AT&T's crappy network.
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Proudly oppressing the rest of Omaha with my suburbia lifestyle since 1999.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I agree with Zilla. Recently switch to a Blackberry Curve and, since May, I've got through 5 of them, one being my own fault. They freeze up, drop calls and, as zilla said, the internet sucks.

Haven't heard much good about Droids, either.
Last edited by S33 on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

About three weeks ago we moved from Blackberry Curves to the Blackberry Bold for work phones.  While I know what you are saying about the Curve ) to a point)  My experience so far with the Bold is that it is a far superior device.  The Internet and speed are the two major leaps forward.

Zilla wrote:My company forced us all onto Blackberry Curves a few months ago and I've learned to hate BB's with a passion.  The battery life is great, and I consistently get my corporate email.  That's the only pluses.  The keys are too frakking small.  The screen sucks.  I hate how it sorts my email.  Navigating to other email folders is horrible.  The apps available are all next to worthless.  And internet browsing on it is painful....and I can't begin to explain how much of an understatement that is.  It's slow.  And even when it does finally work I get so many VB or java errors it's not even worth it.

I will say that the curve is a rather tough phone though.  I've dropped it, thrown it, slammed it down more times than I can count and it's kept on ticking.....unfortunately.

I eventually said heck with it and got a Droid Incredible on my own account.  I love it.  I like it better than my iPod touch as far as the interface goes.  1000x more customizable.  The app market isn't quite up to what the Apple market is, but it's quickly getting there.  Best of all, I'm not stuck with AT&T's crappy network.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

S33 wrote:I agree with Zilla. Recently switch to a Blackberry Curve and, since May, I've got through 5 of them, one being my own fault. They freeze up, drop calls and, as zilla said, the internet sucks.

Haven't heard much good about Droids, either.
I just switched my wife and I from iPhones to Droid X's.  They are nearly identical in every way. Droid does social networking better, better notifications, and has a better battery life.  iPhones have a larger app store, with better quality apps.  Of course, the Verizon network has been much better as well.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

First off, it's highly probable that Verizon will have the iPhone by the first of the year.  Second, ATT reps have indicated their Omaha coverage (3G particularly) will be much stronger by the end of the year.  The irony being if both these things happen on schedule, ATT will have the better 3G network here.   That, said since moving from Chicago in Jan. where the 3G coverage is much stronger I can't say I've had much trouble with ATT here in that time, so I'm not sure what all of you are whining about.  However, I will say the ATT 3G network is noticeably better here now than a couple years ago during frequent visits.

The battery on the iPhone 4 is fantastic btw.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

nebport5 wrote:First off, it's highly probable that Verizon will have the iPhone by the first of the year.  Second, ATT reps have indicated their Omaha coverage (3G particularly) will be much stronger by the end of the year.  The irony being if both these things happen on schedule, ATT will have the better 3G network here.   That, said since moving from Chicago in Jan. where the 3G coverage is much stronger I can't say I've had much trouble with ATT here in that time, so I'm not sure what all of you are whining about.  However, I will say the ATT 3G network is noticeably better here now than a couple years ago during frequent visits.

Why can I never get any ATT 3G signal inside big box stores?  I can never make calls when I'm in Target, Walmart, etc.

Here is why I switched; my service out west is terrible.  So terrible in fact, that ATT sent me a coupon for a free micro-cell to set up in my house.  I took the coupon to every local ATT store, and they were all sold out.  The ATT stores said the same thing, "customers in West-O are all getting free Micro-cells."  ATT refused to let me order a Micro-cell and required that I call them every day until they had stock, and even then they wouldn't reserve one.  I just had to run over to the store and hope they wouldn't run out.

I never called and complained to ATT about my service. They made the determination that their network was not good enough in my area (most of West O if the rep was to be believed--which is why they could keep the micro cell in stock) and sent me the coupon on their own.  When I couldn't get a hold of a Micro-cell, I switched.  Verizon service is much better out here, and I don't experience any of the call issues inside the big box stores.

I'm not going to pay for crappy service with the hope it might be improved down the road.  In two years I might switch back, but I'm not wasting any more money on rumors and speculation.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Technical, it's a conspiracy against you West O suburbanites and your Big Box metropolis. jk But, for real, let me know how the new droid works out, I've been hearing that the apps cause the phone to seize-up. If they have those bugs worked out, I'll be ditching the blackberry, asap!
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

S33 wrote:Technical, it's a conspiracy against you West O suburbanites and your Big Box metropolis. jk But, for real, let me know how the new droid works out, I've been hearing that the apps cause the phone to seize-up. If they have those bugs worked out, I'll be ditching the blackberry, asap!
I haven't had any problems with the phone freezing at all, I've had it for ~ 3 weeks and it hasn't crashed yet.  The biggest difference in the app stores is I find about 30-40% of the apps on the Droid store are listed as 'Beta.'  I guess google doesn't care if an app is finished or not when it is placed on the store.

Is there any apps on your black berry that I can test for you on my droid?

What I love most about the droid is how unified they've made everything.  I can locate someone in my contact list and then swipe left to see all the e-mails and text messages they've sent me, or swipe right to see anything they've posted to social networking sites.  It is really slick.  Notifications are really well done too.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

A guy at work downloaded an app on his droid called "tether" and now he uses his cell phone for his internet on his PC.  If you are a cox customer, that would save about $50 a month.  Its not nearly as fast as cox, but its faster than the old dial-up was.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

A) You can do this with your Sprint phone Have done it with my former Blackberry
b) You can do it with your Vorizon smart phone.   Haven't tried it yet but will
C) watch your data plan, if you on the wrong plan your cox savings will be gone quickly.

Brad wrote:A guy at work downloaded an app on his droid called "tether" and now he uses his cell phone for his internet on his PC.  If you are a cox customer, that would save about $50 a month.  Its not nearly as fast as cox, but its faster than the old dial-up was.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I have an unlimited data plan on Verison with my Blackberry.  However I think my contract is about over so I will probably move to a Droid.
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

nebport5 wrote:First off, it's highly probable that Verizon will have the iPhone by the first of the year.  Second, ATT reps have indicated their Omaha coverage (3G particularly) will be much stronger by the end of the year.  The irony being if both these things happen on schedule, ATT will have the better 3G network here.   That, said since moving from Chicago in Jan. where the 3G coverage is much stronger I can't say I've had much trouble with ATT here in that time, so I'm not sure what all of you are whining about.  However, I will say the ATT 3G network is noticeably better here now than a couple years ago during frequent visits.

Call me a pessimist, but I've been hearing that from AT&T for the last 3-5 years now.  Every time they try and sell our company on their service they talk about how it'll be better in a year, or first quarter, etc.  If it happens, great....but I'm not holding my breath anymore.  I live out west and work downtown.  When I had Sprint a few years ago the service was spotty at best.  The guy on the other side of the cube with an EVO still complains about AT&T's coverage, so it hasn't gotten any better.

Regardless, I don't care anymore.  The only reason I ever even looked at AT&T was because they had the iPhone.  But now that the Droid phones are out it's a moot point.  Having used both (iPhone and Droid) I'll take the Droid hands down.  Sure the iPhone has more/better apps currently, but it's only a matter of time before the Android Market catches up.  Add to that the endless customization possibilities, replaceable batteries, and memory.....I'll be sticking with Droid for awhile now.

As for Apps, I haven't had any problems with any of the decent ones.  You can generally tell what's good and what's bad by looking at the descriptions.  You can also load a program called "App Brain." Which is more-or-less a front end for the App Market that has better reviews and information on the various apps.  Certainly helps avoid the lemon's much better.  All in all, I haven't had crashes due to apps any more than I had with my iPhone/Ipod Touch.
Equal Opportunity Hater.

the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I used to want an Iphone, but refuse to pay for AT&Ts |expletive| service. I've had the original Droid since last November and can't complain at all. The recent Android 2.2 update made things a bit faster and added some nice features. Physically, I've dropped the thing a billion times, it's built like a tank. Even if Verizon gets the Iphone now, I'm in the "who cares" camp. I'll probably stick to this one until a 4G Droid comes out. Droid 3?
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Also, here's an interesting article about RIM (Blackberry) potentially moving over to the Android OS. If that happens, Apple is going to be looking at a giant |expletive| sandwich. Android OS already has more market share, with Blackberry added in, Apple will be small potatoes in the phone market.

http://www.businessinsider.com/rim-andr ... rry-2010-8
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

the1wags wrote:Also, here's an interesting article about RIM (Blackberry) potentially moving over to the Android OS. If that happens, Apple is going to be looking at a giant |expletive| sandwich. Android OS already has more market share, with Blackberry added in, Apple will be small potatoes in the phone market.

http://www.businessinsider.com/rim-andr ... rry-2010-8
Ohhhhh....I'd love to see that happen, if only to give Steve Jobs fits.  I still wouldn't want a BB simply because I don't think I'll ever like that keyboard.  I'm not holding my breath though.....that would be a pretty huge undertaking.
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Why can I never get any ATT 3G signal inside big box stores?  I can never make calls when I'm in Target, Walmart, etc.
The only Target I have had no service is the one at 132 & maple. Not sure what did when they did the remodel but it started or is that ended after that

Personally I haven't any more problems with ATT than I did with Verizon.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Uffda wrote:Personally I haven't any more problems with ATT than I did with Verizon.
I have Version and have friends with other services.... They borrow my phone in remote locations all the time.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Technical, I have a remote surveillance application that I am curious as to how well it operates with a droid if you'd be willing to check it out. A buddy of mine will be doing the same, but he's also got an older version of droid. (everyone else I know has I-phones)

Speaking of Verizon, has anyone noticed very poor reception and frequent dropped calls lately? Mine has been terrible.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

S33 wrote:Technical, I have a remote surveillance application that I am curious as to how well it operates with a droid if you'd be willing to check it out. A buddy of mine will be doing the same, but he's also got an older version of droid. (everyone else I know has I-phones)

Speaking of Verizon, has anyone noticed very poor reception and frequent dropped calls lately? Mine has been terrible.
Is it a specific remote surveillance app, or do you just want me to try out whatever I find?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I got a HTC EVO (Droid) on Sunday when my blackberry died.  It's freaking awesome!  It's 4G ready even though Omaha only has 3G.  Even at 3G its ten times faster then my blackberry.  The speed of the actual unit is so much faster too.  Hand down better than bberry or Apple.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I got a Samsung Fascinate (Verizon) in September, and it seldom leaves my side.  Very bright and large screen.  Simple to use.  I simply love it.
Cathy Duncan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Cathy Duncan »

ShawJ wrote:Well, you could always unlock the old iPhones and use them on Sprint or Verizon.

I can't decide if Apple is being smart of just stupid. Apple has the technology to run a 4G network, so it seems that they're pressuring other networks to upgrade to a 4G network as well (they would expand to Verizon if they became a 4G network). At least that's what I read.
Yeah, I agree with your post and of the opinion that there are loads of such news and reviews available at zanura dot com. They're not pressurizing other networks, but they have intentionally pressurized to them their services upgraded to 4G.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Cathy Duncan wrote:
ShawJ wrote:Well, you could always unlock the old iPhones and use them on Sprint or Verizon.

I can't decide if Apple is being smart of just stupid. Apple has the technology to run a 4G network, so it seems that they're pressuring other networks to upgrade to a 4G network as well (they would expand to Verizon if they became a 4G network). At least that's what I read.
They're not pressurizing other networks, but they have intentionally pressurized to them their services upgraded to 4G.
Yeah, the competition when operating at greater than one atmosphere is really starting to heat up.
Cathy Duncan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Cathy Duncan »

almighty_tuna wrote:
Cathy Duncan wrote:

They're not pressurizing other networks, but they have intentionally pressurized to them their services upgraded to 4G.
Yeah, the competition when operating at greater than one atmosphere is really starting to heat up.
Exactly, the environment is gonna get more heat up with the arrival of Apple's new release of iPhone. What do you think will ultimately happen?
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

So the rumors and speculation out there is that Verizon will announce tomorrow on 1/11/11 at 11 am the iPhone is coming to Verizon.

Some analysts speculate that there will be a lot of people switching from ATT and some analyst speculate that Verizon's network will suffer like  ATT's has once all those iPhones get on the network.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Anybody that pays to break their AT&T contract ($$$), then buy a Verizon Iphone 4 ($$$), then will buy a Iphone 5 in 5-6 months, is either an idiot, have way too much money, or both. Besides, the Iphone 4 is old news. Dual core, 4G, Android phones are right around the bend, which will absolutely |expletive|-stomp the Iphone 4. Wait until the 5 if you must have one. My 2 cents.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

My Droid X has plenty of power for me.  What do you do with your phone that requires a dual core processor?  Right now the only thing that would motivate me to switch phones is the price of data.  The bandwidth speeds and caps do not justify the price.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Why did they go from 550Mhz in my Droid 1 to 1Ghz in the Droid 2 and X? Its just the progression of speed. As software builds in more features (Android 2.2 to 2.3, 2.4 etc) more power will be needed to keep the existing speeds. As far as bandwidth, that's why I mentioned that these devices (specifically Droid Bionic) will be 4G. Though pricing for 4G hasn't been announced yet, it is obviously much faster than 3G. Verizons 4G is already hot in Denver, so its ready to go as soon as the phones show.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

So when is a good time to switch, then? there's always going to be the "latest and greatest" right around the corner.

Because of work, I've been waiting for this Verizon/I=Phone deal to finally come to fruition, and now I'm all over it.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

If I were you, I'd wait the 5 or 6 months for the Iphone 5 if you really want an Iphone. It will likely be 4G and dual core.  Chip speeds will change rapidly, but going from 4G to 5G will take years. Why buy a 3G phone now? You wouldn't pay new car price for one with 75,000 miles right? I dunno if that analogy makes sense but I'm sticking with it. :)
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Yeah, I guess it makes sense. I could probably wait, if it means I'm likely to get a phone that won't freeze-up on me or send alerts hours after they were supposed to have arrived!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just wondering - what cool apps are people using?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

radio reference, Google Sky Map