English....

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Ok, so I went to Omaha Central High School and can't help it.  If it's possessive, it's your.  If not, it's you're.  Take the extra miisecond and type the ' and the extra e.  It may help you get a job.  <rant off>
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Or just spell them all "ur" and save me the trouble of reading your resume.   :;):
Stable genius.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Thanks for ur opinions, everyone! I drove by the other day - seems like a nice area for the most part (minus the giant gravel place).
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

the one that gets me is "irregardless" when it is just "regardless."  The prefix "ir" means "not" which is a negative.  The suffix "less" is also a negative.  So the correct use of regardless would be like 'without regard to.'  the only proper way to use "ir" with "regard" in any way would be "irregard," which isn't an actual word.  The problem with "irregardless" is that the suffix and prefix denote a double negative, which is why its not grammatically correct or accepted as correct in proper English.  (i'm a loser for putting that much effort into saying why i hate that word).

Now when someone tells you that you're spending too much time on the forum, you can say it's for educational purposes :P
Go Cubs Go
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

thenewguy wrote:the one that gets me is "irregardless" when it is just "regardless."  The prefix "ir" means "not" which is a negative.  The suffix "less" is also a negative.  So the correct use of regardless would be like 'without regard to.'  the only proper way to use "ir" with "regard" in any way would be "irregard," which isn't an actual word.  The problem with "irregardless" is that the suffix and prefix denote a double negative, which is why its not grammatically correct or accepted as correct in proper English.  (i'm a loser for putting that much effort into saying why i hate that word).

Now when someone tells you that you're spending too much time on the forum, you can say it's for educational purposes :P
And the certain regional use of "everygardless" is even worse.
Unfortunately my Mother is one of those.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I'll give you one more.   MAJORLY.   Discuss.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

NovakOmaha wrote:I'll give you one more.   MAJORLY.   Discuss.
ma·jor·ly  (mjr-l)
adv. Slang
To a great or an intense degree; extremely: got majorly depressed when she saw her test scores.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights
I admit I use this one occasionally.

My pet peeve, which seems to be common in Omaha, is the "greengrocer's apostrophe" (use of the apostrophe for plurality).
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

NovakOmaha wrote:Ok, so I went to Omaha Central High School and can't help it.
I know you can't help where you went to HS.  We won't hold it against you.  

I just found out that the phrase, "all of the sudden," is really supposed to be ,"all of a sudden."  I'll be damned.  

Anyway, there are still some others that grate my nerve -  insure when you mean ensure

supposebly, ugh

and I have a friend on another forum who insists on using aught instead of ought.  

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
http://www.mandypatinkin.net/PB/sminigo1.jpeg
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I've spent hundreds of hours writing code to enable a computer to phonetically interpret what a person means when they've typed something.  Yet, the human brain is an amazing thing, able to immediately discern the intended meaning of improper language use (as demonstrated by our continually ranting about it here).  99% of the time, we all know the idea someone is attempting to convey regardless of syntax. I overlook personality 'flaws' in people all the time.  Given the triviality of this, I'd suggest people merely relax and do the same when this type of flaw is encountered (although more often than not, I realize it's an important means of undermining credibility).
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

One of my favorites is "alot".
Stable genius.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Ooh, and don't forget "supposably".
Stable genius.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

zomg, for realsies???!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I find the best thing to do is to lead by example. :)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Or spell them Din and Du er and have them get a translator.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

I'm going to Axe you a question.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

another is "ansty," when it's "ancy."  

(at any rate, ancy is in the dictionary as a suffix, though the common usage of this word relates to be anxious)
Go Cubs Go
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

This thread needs some LOLCats....

Equal Opportunity Hater.

Proudly oppressing the rest of Omaha with my suburbia lifestyle since 1999.
Adam
Home Owners Association

Post by Adam »

Did anyone ever see the Mexican restaurant at the Crossroads called "Taco's"? (note the apostrophe)  This one always drove me nuts!  It insinuated that the restaurant was owned by a person named "Taco", which I highly doubt!
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

....or "orientated" instead of "oriented".
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Big E wrote:One of my favorites is "alot".
That one doesn't bother me so much. It's very similar to the "Kinda" which is very common. Heck, I think I've used both of those a time or two.

Isn't the word "anyways" wrong? Shouldn't it be "anyway"? I would guess that is the most common improper usage. (assuming it's wrong, idk. I'm definitely not an English major)
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

I treat "majorly" and "kinda" as slang, so I'll accept and use them in personal conversations or in informal writing (personal e-mails, forums, etc.).

One phrase that always stumps me is: "I could care less."  Shouldn't it read: "I couldn't care less"?
Last edited by ricko on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

I was going to post that I could not care less.  Then, I realized how much I HATE it when people leave out the "not."
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Early in my career I went through a period where I was hiring quite a few people for line staff positions.  I always enjoyed hearing that someone wanted to "applicate" and offered me his or her "resume"(pronounced rezoom).  I was also encouraged that they wanted me to know they were willing to learn and liked people.  

One of my favorite new hires was the woman who was hired and scheduled for her first training sessions.  I called her 30 minutes after the time she was to show up and she said "Oh yeah.  I knew I had something to do but couldn't remember what it was".  I told her not to bother.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

How about   " YOU KNOW"   If "I Know" then you don't need to tell me.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Job applications...  holy smokes, I have the end all be all in my drawer.  It might be the single greatest thing I've ever seen in my life.  

I'll get it posted here one of these days.  I need to edit out some names, etc, to protect the certifiably nuts.
Stable genius.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

this guy named Taylor Mali, who appeared a long time ago on Def Poetry Jams on HBO, wrote a poem called What Teachers Make.  In it, there's a line he uses that says he makes them spell "definitely, beautiful; definitely, beautiful; definitely, beautiful, until they never misspell either of those words again."  Good poem.  You can find it on youtube or at taylormali.com.

At any rate, those 2 words always pop out at me when looking at applications...or proof reading papers.  Those and incorrect punctuation always get people.
Go Cubs Go
Blade1655
Home Owners Association

Post by Blade1655 »

Another one I hear too much:  "I seen a dog the other day"

Makes my blood boil for some reason.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

911 call : "She Say She Are The Manager"

About a 1:10 in
[youtube][/youtube]
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I'm willing to bet that I'm the only person who, contrary to the norm, will type "you're" when I meant to type "your"

All of my grammar and spelling pet peeves have pretty much been touched on. I'll add one that I'm probably alone in drawing annoyance from...

As a car fanatic, it really irritates me when I'm reading a magazine or the paper or something and someone has spelled the car brand Infiniti as you would the number (Infinity).
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

thenewguy wrote:another is "ansty," when it's "ancy."  

(at any rate, ancy is in the dictionary as a suffix, though the common usage of this word relates to be anxious)
You say ancy is correct?  Huh?
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

cdub wrote:

only loosely "correct."  You can use antsy or ancy, even though they are both slang.   the correct usage would be "I'm anxious to get to the show" instead of "I'm getting [antsy/ancy] to get to the show."  After doin some more looking, both versions are used (depending on the urban dictionary you use), even though neither are actual words.
Go Cubs Go
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

thenewguy wrote:
cdub wrote:

only loosely "correct."  You can use antsy or ancy, even though they are both slang.   the correct usage would be "I'm anxious to get to the show" instead of "I'm getting [antsy/ancy] to get to the show."  After doin some more looking, both versions are used (depending on the urban dictionary you use), even though neither are actual words.
What does it take to be a real word.  Its in Merriams and dates back to 1838.  (Antsy that is)
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

cdub wrote:
thenewguy wrote:
cdub wrote:

What does it take to be a real word.  Its in Merriams and dates back to 1838.  (Antsy that is)
Idk---i was looking it up online and different sites said that it wasn't.  If it is, i'll retract my b!tch about the word and sit frustrated :)  For some reason, too, i always thought it wasn't the correct form.
Go Cubs Go
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Big E wrote:Job applications...  holy smokes, I have the end all be all in my drawer.  It might be the single greatest thing I've ever seen in my life.  

I'll get it posted here one of these days.  I need to edit out some names, etc, to protect the certifiably nuts.
A friend of my wife works for a government funded social agency in Chicago that helps people get jobs.  I loved the resume she had where the guy put his e-mail address - knifeslasher69@_____.com
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

I hate it when people say "Brang" instead of brought.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I seen him at the store yesterday.
Stable genius.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

You guys have missed two of my big pet peeves.

"We'll try and ______ (as in "I'll try and fix that," or "I'll try and watch that movie when I get a chance."
No, you won't try and do anything. You'll try to do something.

Also, people who f' up the idiom, "for all intents and purposes" annoy me to no end. How do they screw it up? By saying "for all intensive purposes." What the heck is an intensive purpose?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

OmahaBen wrote: What the heck is an intensive purpose?
It's usually when one has the house to themselves while their significant other is gone and they only have so much time to check out nasty internet p0rn before said signifcant other gets back. And that my friends is an intensive purpose.
DTO
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

DTO Luv wrote:
OmahaBen wrote: What the heck is an intensive purpose?
It's usually when one has the house to themselves while their significant other is gone and they only have so much time to check out nasty internet p0rn before said signifcant other gets back. And that my friends is an intensive purpose.
that's a |expletive| mission!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

DTO