Eyesore

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

omaproud
Home Owners Association

Eyesore

Post by omaproud »

In your opinion, what is the biggest eye-sore downtown that should/could be cleaned up.  I give my vote to the railroad overpass on 13th Street between Leavenworth and the main post office.  This is a major entrance to our city/downtown and it is a disgrace.  It almost looks un-safe.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

End of thread.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Beat me to it.
Stable genius.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

State office building and the sea of parking
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

surface lots
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

In your opinion, what is the biggest eye-sore downtown that should/could be cleaned up.
DTO's avatar.
Stable genius.
delinea design
Home Owners Association

Post by delinea design »

Much of Park East.  So much potential, too many parking lots/empty buildings along Douglas, Farnam and Harney.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:
In your opinion, what is the biggest eye-sore downtown that should/could be cleaned up.
DTO's avatar.
:lafcry:  :lafcry:  :lafcry:  :lafcry: :lafcry:  :lafcry: :lafcry:  :lafcry:

ShawJ and Big E wrote:Con Agra / Heartland of America Park
Epic Failure of Historic Preservation, may be.  But I can't call it an eyesore because it does look really nice.

omaproud wrote:I give my vote to the railroad overpass on 13th Street between Leavenworth and the main post office.  This is a major entrance to our city/downtown and it is a disgrace.  It almost looks un-safe.
That bridge is completely safe, but it does look bad.  However Unless the city or private citizen is going to cough up money, I bet it never gets cleaned up.

We have talked on here many times about the post office.  I think it needs to move out by the airport and that area south of downtown needs to be completely redeveloped.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

almighty_tuna wrote:surface lots
Agree! Omaha seems to have some kind of surface parking fetish! :(
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Our surface parking situation really isn't THAT bad.  In some ways, I almost consider the OmahaPark solutions as just AS bad.

And for what we lost to Con Agra... we arguably have one of the best green spaces a city our size can offer in Heartland of America Park.

I actually consider 16th Street our greatest eyesore.  Let's put in angled street parking and make this area viable to business once again.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

I was referring more to the buildings of ConAgra (their waste of space / blandness), not the pond / green space.
omaproud
Home Owners Association

Post by omaproud »

Come on, these answers aren't "eyesores."  They may not be what we want, but they're not eyesores.
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Post by stabone99 »

ConAgra's campus is just fine.  It's far from the eyesore of downtown.  I agree the railroad overpass is pretty bad, as well as the amount of homeless people in the Old Market area.

Anyone have a pic of the post office?  I can't recall what it looks like...
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

The parking garage on the NW corner of 16th and Dodge. Throw some dynamite in that thing.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

stabone99 wrote:Anyone have a pic of the post office?  I can't recall what it looks like...
Its that 6 ot 7 story building with grey/black brick just south of the old market...

It SHOULD still look like this!!!!

Adam
Home Owners Association

Post by Adam »

The power lines behind the Qwest Center.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Adam wrote:The power lines behind the Qwest Center.
Exactly!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Qwest itself is an eyesore.  So is first national.  And i'm not really a fan of that pork belly bridge either.
Go Cubs Go
RegisResident
Home Owners Association

Post by RegisResident »

The Lerner Building on the North East corner of 16th & Harney- it is owned by the city, it is boarded up, the outside is falling apart and it is right across the street from a major downtown attraction (the Orpheum).

My other choice would be the Baker (or Barker?) Building on the South West corner of 15th & Farnam. It is also boarded up with Dicon construction signs on the outside but I don't know who owns it. Birds live in the upper floors of the buildings where the windows are open/broken.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

the1wags wrote:The parking garage on the NW corner of 16th and Dodge. Throw some dynamite in that thing.
You mean the northeast corner? The northwest corner is the First National Branch.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bosco55David wrote:
the1wags wrote:The parking garage on the NW corner of 16th and Dodge. Throw some dynamite in that thing.
You mean the northeast corner? The northwest corner is the First National Branch.
I bet he means NW of 17 and Dodge.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Oooops. Yeah that's the one.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

West O "Tourists"
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

justnick wrote:West O "Tourists"
In you case..."North Omaha Tourists"

Downtown is not an Exclusive club...  Just because not everyone wants to live down there doesn't mean we can't go down and enjoy it.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Brad wrote:
justnick wrote:West O "Tourists"
In you case..."North Omaha Tourists"

Downtown is not an Exclusive club...  Just because not everyone wants to live down there doesn't mean we can't go down and enjoy it.
I'm talking more about the people who literally go downtown maybe three or four times a year. They're insanely annoying, and you can pick them out from a mile away.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That makes more sense.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I'd rather deal with the people that go downtown 3 or 4 times a year than these people.

As they look at a skyline picture.....

Them...."Is that Omaha?"

Me... "Sure is, are you visiting from out of town?"

Them... "No I live at 487th and Whatever, I just haven't been to downtown in years."

:banghead:
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

the1wags wrote:I'd rather deal with the people that go downtown 3 or 4 times a year than these people.

As they look at a skyline picture.....

Them...."Is that Omaha?"

Me... "Sure is, are you visiting from out of town?"

Them... "No I live at 487th and Whatever, I just haven't been to downtown in years."

:banghead:
Why is that bad?  There is nothing to do downtown except to stare at all the weirdos or feed bums.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

bradley414 wrote: Why is that bad?  There is nothing to do downtown except to stare at all the weirdos or feed bums.
:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:
times a billion.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

To me, the biggest eyesore is the lack of continual maintenance and upkeep of the good things we DO have, such as parks, streets, etc. For as popular as the Old Market is, you'd think there would be a more concerted effort by the city and property owners to keep things cleaner and better maintained.

I'm not saying everything should be squeaky-clean or like Disney World, but everyone could do better.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

heck yeah.  I parked in that POS for 2 years and it sucks just as much inside as out.  A coworker of mine had a drip on his car (in his assigned parking spot) that literally ate the paint away.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

GetUrban wrote:To me, the biggest eyesore is the lack of continual maintenance and upkeep of the good things we DO have, such as parks, streets, etc. For as popular as the Old Market is, you'd think there would be a more concerted effort by the city and property owners to keep things cleaner and better maintained.

I'm not saying everything should be squeaky-clean or like Disney World, but everyone could do better.
That also gets my vote.  We need to maintain the public grounds (streets, parks, etc) much better.  Half the overhead lights, plus ALL of the light fixtures along Farnam St. in and around the Leahy Mall were dark last week when we parked on Farnam St.  This is our front door and it looks like no one cares.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Brad wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:
I bet he means NW of 17 and Dodge.
That garage is owned by the Doubletree.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

OmahaChef wrote:That garage is owned by the Doubletree.
Even worse... That means out of town guests may park in there!
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

nativeomahan wrote:
GetUrban wrote:To me, the biggest eyesore is the lack of continual maintenance and upkeep of the good things we DO have, such as parks, streets, etc. For as popular as the Old Market is, you'd think there would be a more concerted effort by the city and property owners to keep things cleaner and better maintained.

That also gets my vote.  We need to maintain the public grounds (streets, parks, etc) much better.  Half the overhead lights, plus ALL of the light fixtures along Farnam St. in and around the Leahy Mall were dark last week when we parked on Farnam St.  This is our front door and it looks like no one cares.
I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to photograph the city from Abbot Drive and had a lot of the decorative lights out.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
joebob12
New to the Neighborhood

Post by joebob12 »

10th street south of The Durham Museum.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

joebob12 wrote:10th street south of The Durham Museum.
The street or the area? I think the road is just a road but there isn't any stretch of 10th st that most people would call an eyesore. Care to elaborate?
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:
joebob12 wrote:10th street south of The Durham Museum.
The street or the area? I think the road is just a road but there isn't any stretch of 10th st that most people would call an eyesore. Care to elaborate?

I thought may be he was: :trollin:

Although a new tattoo shop opened next to Bones if that's what he was talking about.  But south of that is the new Dunnsay Flats and then all residential.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

City Cracks Down On Troubled Properties
More Tickets Issued Under New Program

KETV wrote:The city of Omaha is getting aggressive on properties in disrepair. At their best, the properties are neighborhood eyesores. But at their worst, they’re a threat to public safety...

Cunningham said it involves clearing as much of the city’s thousands-deep code violation backlog as possible. Over half of those cases are more than three years old.

Under the new program, it has meant more tickets – twice as many in the first quarter this year compared to last. There’s also an increased effort to get landlords who ignore tickets into the courtroom.
Last edited by Coyote on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Coyote wrote:City Cracks Down On Troubled Properties
More Tickets Issued Under New Program

KETV wrote:The city of Omaha is getting aggressive on properties in disrepair. At their best, the properties are neighborhood eyesores. But at their worst, they’re a threat to public safety...

Cunningham said it involves clearing as much of the city’s thousands-deep code violation backlog as possible. Over half of those cases are more than three years old.

Under the new program, it has meant more tickets – twice as many in the first quarter this year compared to last. There’s also an increased effort to get landlords who ignore tickets into the courtroom.
Naturally, they manage to |expletive| this up.

They've got these little signs they're sticking into yards and land that needs to be fixed saying basically "Fix this, or we'll be back. And charge you for it."

These signs are all fine and dandy, and a good idea. But the other day they stuck one on city owned land that it was their fault it was overgrown anyways.

Smart.