Omaha area Housing and Market statistics

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MTO
City Council

Re: It's that time of year again- 2016 metro population estimates

Post by MTO »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Athomsfere wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote: I've always contended and will stand by the eventual Omaha/Lincoln CSA (It might take a decade to happen..but mark my words- it will)..I know it's on another level, but look at the Dallas/Ft Worth CSA now including counties in southern Oklahoma nearly 100+ miles away.. Sheesh...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
It also seems to me that there is a trajectory change at around 1-1.5 million people for most metros. Completely a feeling, but it seems like when a city / metro hits that range there is a definite growth rate jump, at least for a while.

Can anyone confirm or deny? Are there any studies of urban planning theories used for something like population size driven immigration?
Like Titos, I can't confirm or deny that one.. But I get the same sense you do.. Perhaps the annual US Census "lowball" of Omaha's metro estimate will change once we hit/surpass the 1 million population mark...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I see what you're saying but also there are metros past 1 million that are mostly stagnant Memphis, Dayton, Albany, Albuquerque, Rochester and Hartford.
15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
MTO wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
MTO wrote:How can tertiary communities like Valparaiso, Telbasta, Herman, Dunlap etc be considered part of the metro while closer Fremont not be. There's >952,069 in the area!!
That's 960,886 according to the 2016 Omaha CSA estimate, lol..

But I think you're on to something. it's very possible the US Census could re-define the Omaha MSA to include Dodge county..

I also think it's possible for a re-defined CSA combining Omaha-Lincoln within the next 5-10 years. I think this is only a matter of time...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Wait so the CSA only added 8,817 in a year, there's no way the CSA will hit 1 million by 2020. That also means our growth rate (Combined) has slowed. It was averaging almost 10,000 between 2010 and 2015 that really sucks.
Actually, you are incorrect. The US Census adjusted the 2015 Omaha CSA estimate to 950,944, so the CSA added 9,942 from 2015-to-2016.. The Omaha CSA is on pace to hit the 1 million mark by 2020.. Or be really REALLY close...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
So if we add 9,942 for five years starting from the revised we'll be 1,000,704.

So does The Don have the revised Lincoln CSA numbers?
15-17, 26, 32
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:A lady I used to work with in Omaha said she missed the big city life...of Madison, Wisconsin (which currently has 300,000 fewer inhabitants in its metro).
LOL.. Well, hopefully you educated her on the error of her ways :lol: .. Sometimes ignorance isn't always bliss :cheers: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Eh. I felt too nerdy about it so I let it slide. I also thought about what that might say about Omaha if it seemed smaller to her than it is.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MTO wrote:So does The Don have the revised Lincoln CSA numbers?
Ask The Don, and you will receive-

Lincoln- 2015 CSA: 344,690..
Lincoln- 2016 CSA: 348,720..

A 4030 population gain of 1.2% 15 to 16 (Omaha's gain was 1%)...

Ciao..LiO..,Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The Omaha and Lincoln CSA's "combined" now add to 1,309,606.. according to the 2016 estimates...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
MTO wrote:So does The Don have the revised Lincoln CSA numbers?
Ask The Don, and you will receive-

Lincoln- 2015 CSA: 344,690..
Lincoln- 2016 CSA: 348,720..

A 4030 population gain of 1.2% 15 to 16 (Omaha's gain was 1%)...

Ciao..LiO..,Peace
That reminds me how annoying it is when "they" say (depending on the person and year) that Denver or Austin etc is the fastest growing metro. When that title goes to Los Angeles, in the time Austin's metro adds 200,000 the L.A. Metro adds 800,000.
15-17, 26, 32
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

MTO wrote:
That reminds me how annoying it is when "they" say (depending on the person and year) that Denver or Austin etc is the fastest growing metro. When that title goes to Los Angeles, in the time Austin's metro adds 200,000 the L.A. Metro adds 800,000.
Although by rate, Austin is growing much faster than LA (Assuming those figures are correct). Roughly 15% vs 4%.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Athomsfere wrote:
MTO wrote:
Although by rate, Austin is growing much faster than LA (Assuming those figures are correct). Roughly 15% vs 4%.
Well if you go by percentage I think Midland Texas or The Villages takes are the fastest growing cities but quoting percentiles as absolutes is idiotic. So saying those are the fastest growing when the largest metros like NY can add the entire population of either of those two cities in about a year. It's just a bad habit these second, third, fourth tier metros have gotten into. For every two people Lincoln adds Omaha adds 5 ergo Omaha is growing faster. But Omaha v Lincoln is not! the impetus of my argument it's the bad use of math.
15-17, 26, 32
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

MTO wrote:
Athomsfere wrote:
MTO wrote:
Well if you go by percentage I think Midland Texas or The Villages takes are the fastest growing cities but quoting percentiles as absolutes is idiotic. So saying those are the fastest growing when the largest metros like NY can add the entire population of either of those two cities in about a year. It's just a bad habit these second, third, fourth tier metros have gotten into. For every two people Lincoln adds Omaha adds 5 ergo Omaha is growing faster. But Omaha v Lincoln is not! the impetus of my argument it's the bad use of math.
I'd argue % are much more useful on average, at least in cities over a given size. It can give you a much better idea of how much of the growth is natural.

Lincoln vs Omaha for example and adding 2 vs 5 people sounds like Omaha is growing faster. It added more people sure... But if you look at 1.1 vs 1.2% over a long enough timeline Lincoln would be the bigger city (pardon the reducto absurdum).

Larger metro's can also more easily absorb a smaller % but greater number of people IMO. If LA gains 100,000 people it isn't really noticeable. Omaha gaining the same changes infrastructure, congestion, and the skyline immensely. Same as Omaha gaining 200 people is not noticeable but Omaha South Bend 50 people would be a HUGE change.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I am predicting by 2023, the Commuter patterns will reach the 15% level+ and much to the chagrin of the US Census in Washington, we will have a Omaha-Lincoln Combined Statistical Area (CSA)...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!