2016 Census Estimates

Omaha area Housing and Market statistics

Moderators: nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 5050
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

2016 Census Estimates

Postby skinzfan23 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:03 am

Here are the cities in the Omaha metro (as of 7/1/16)

Omaha: 446,970
Papillion: 19,597
Bellevue: 53,505
Ralston: 7,329
LaVista: 17,143
Council Bluffs: 62,524
Fremont: 26,519
Plattsmouth: 6,479

I still don't understand how Omaha adds so many people through annexations, yet the census numbers never reflect this information.

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 5972
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: 2016 Census Estimates

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Thu May 25, 2017 12:21 pm

I don't get too caught up in the city estimates.. although it's good information for a numbers nerd like me, lol..

My feeling is that the US Census seems to lowball Omaha in its city/metro/CSA estimates and then we get a nice population bump surprise at the start of each decade when the official census numbers come out...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 5050
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 2016 Census Estimates

Postby skinzfan23 » Thu May 25, 2017 1:53 pm

Omaha Cowboy wrote:I don't get too caught up in the city estimates.. although it's good information for a numbers nerd like me, lol..

My feeling is that the US Census seems to lowball Omaha in its city/metro/CSA estimates and then we get a nice population bump surprise at the start of each decade when the official census numbers come out...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

I agree for the most part, however, the 2009 est was nearly 454,000, but when the 2010 actual numbers came out it was only 408,958.

User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 2010
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: 2016 Census Estimates

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Thu May 25, 2017 1:55 pm

I rarely have much interest in the city populations either. At least for Nebraska towns. All the annexation makes it difficult to really gauge how the city is doing with population. Population alone also tends to be a pretty poor metric for gauging the health of a city. St. Louis, for example, is constantly losing people. But if you dive deeper into census nerddom, you find that their socioeconomic stats are getting better - there's raw growth in college educated adults - it's just being offset by lower income residents leaving.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 5972
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: 2016 Census Estimates

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Thu May 25, 2017 11:15 pm

skinzfan23 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:I don't get too caught up in the city estimates.. although it's good information for a numbers nerd like me, lol..

My feeling is that the US Census seems to lowball Omaha in its city/metro/CSA estimates and then we get a nice population bump surprise at the start of each decade when the official census numbers come out...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

I agree for the most part, however, the 2009 est was nearly 454,000, but when the 2010 actual numbers came out it was only 408,958.


The same thing happened in 1980 too.. But I honestly don't get as hyped up over city only population numbers. Make no mistake, I'm happy for the liberal state annexation laws Omaha enjoys and takes advantage of.. as opposed to the locked city of St Louis..Which gets choked off by larger suburbs that surround it..

All said, I'd love to see Omaha infill and grow without using an aggressive annexation package to pump up its numbers..

In the end, the MSA and CSA numbers are a far more important and better gauge of a thriving/growing area.. Or one that is looking down the cliff of decline...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

User avatar
Stargazer
County Board
Posts: 3918
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:06 am
Location: west Omaha

Re: 2016 Census Estimates

Postby Stargazer » Sun May 28, 2017 9:55 am

On the other hand, it's interesting to note that there are some 100,000 in Douglas County who are not in the city of Omaha, according to census estimates.

Louie
Library Board
Posts: 379
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Park Ave>NW Omaha>Millard

Re: 2016 Census Estimates

Postby Louie » Mon May 29, 2017 8:56 pm

Stargazer wrote:On the other hand, it's interesting to note that there are some 100,000 in Douglas County who are not in the city of Omaha, according to census estimates.

Mostly suburban subdivisions that haven't been annexed yet I would assume?

User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 2010
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: 2016 Census Estimates

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:50 pm

An article about Ralston and the flaws of the annual Census city population estimates:

Ralston's population boom turns out to be just a Census Bureau glitch

http://www.omaha.com/sarpy/ralston/ralston-s-population-boom-turns-out-to-be-just-a/article_166467a6-43dc-11e7-9d91-f797491a21e8.html
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 5972
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: 2016 Census Estimates

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:23 pm

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:An article about Ralston and the flaws of the annual Census city population estimates:

Ralston's population boom turns out to be just a Census Bureau glitch

http://www.omaha.com/sarpy/ralston/ralston-s-population-boom-turns-out-to-be-just-a/article_166467a6-43dc-11e7-9d91-f797491a21e8.html


I remember reading this W-H piece. I think it came out Memorial Day weekend.

Thanks for posting the story link :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2016 Census Estimates

Postby OmahaFan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:02 am

I surely do love reading that Omaha's population is growing and I hope it continue's to increase! You know someday Omaha is gonna reach 1 million people living within the city limit's. I hope to see that someday and still be alive. Omaha truly has potential to grow big time. I'm just curious why Council bluff's who has a large county way bigger then Douglas has never expanded as greatly as Omaha has.

User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 2010
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: 2016 Census Estimates

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:44 am

OmahaFan wrote: I'm just curious why Council bluff's who has a large county way bigger then Douglas has never expanded as greatly as Omaha has.


Stigma is my guess. It's a lovely town east of South Expressway, but many don't venture that far and only know it for what they see immediately over the river. Maybe River's Edge will change that.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

bigredmed1
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Re: 2016 Census Estimates

Postby bigredmed1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:36 pm

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
OmahaFan wrote: I'm just curious why Council bluff's who has a large county way bigger then Douglas has never expanded as greatly as Omaha has.


Stigma is my guess. It's a lovely town east of South Expressway, but many don't venture that far and only know it for what they see immediately over the river. Maybe River's Edge will change that.


History and inertia. CB failed to expand with the UP due to the Missouri River being unbridgeable for many years after the transcontinental railroad was built. Freight moved mostly East to West. Cars would be disassembled in CB and ferried across the river to be reassembled in Omaha. if your business was going to operate cheaper in Omaha, that is where you moved. Your kids and grandkids stayed close to home. All the services moved there. Eventually, Omaha was a better place to live.

User avatar
OmahaJaysCU
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1966
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:00 pm

Re: 2016 Census Estimates

Postby OmahaJaysCU » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Terrain and sewer expansion was a big part of this.

User avatar
guy4omaha
Human Relations
Posts: 894
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:06 pm
Location: The Big O

Re: 2016 Census Estimates

Postby guy4omaha » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:16 am

Different annexation laws have also been a factor.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.

User avatar
Garrett
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 2016 Census Estimates

Postby Garrett » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:21 pm

bigredmed1 wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
OmahaFan wrote: I'm just curious why Council bluff's who has a large county way bigger then Douglas has never expanded as greatly as Omaha has.


Stigma is my guess. It's a lovely town east of South Expressway, but many don't venture that far and only know it for what they see immediately over the river. Maybe River's Edge will change that.


History and inertia. CB failed to expand with the UP due to the Missouri River being unbridgeable for many years after the transcontinental railroad was built. Freight moved mostly East to West. Cars would be disassembled in CB and ferried across the river to be reassembled in Omaha. if your business was going to operate cheaper in Omaha, that is where you moved. Your kids and grandkids stayed close to home. All the services moved there. Eventually, Omaha was a better place to live.

Bigredmed1...?
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

bigredmed1
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Re: 2016 Census Estimates

Postby bigredmed1 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:05 pm

Can't get my original ID to work.

User avatar
HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1676
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Midtown Crossing

Re: 2016 Census Estimates

Postby HR Paperstacks » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:57 pm

bigredmed1 wrote:Can't get my original ID to work.

Still? It should be fixed now. If not, let me know.

User avatar
thenewguy
Planning Board
Posts: 2866
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Council Bluffs

Re: 2016 Census Estimates

Postby thenewguy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:59 pm

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
OmahaFan wrote: I'm just curious why Council bluff's who has a large county way bigger then Douglas has never expanded as greatly as Omaha has.


Stigma is my guess. It's a lovely town east of South Expressway, but many don't venture that far and only know it for what they see immediately over the river. Maybe River's Edge will change that.


I would venture a guess and say that the hills have played a part in it over time. Most of council bluffs is flat land on the west end (which has many nice, charming neighborhoods, too :p ) that used to flood much moreso than it does now, possibly inhibiting more building than it would have otherwise. That could explain why people long ago chose to live in the more elevated omaha neighborhoods. Since development originally started in downtown CB and grew at a more rapid rate to the west (compared to the east end; it was cheaper to build on non hilly terrain) once the 40s, 50s, and 60s hit, there already was not much incentive to expand to the east. Omaha, by that time, had been attracting more and more business and people.
Go Cubs Go

bigredmed1
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Re: 2016 Census Estimates

Postby bigredmed1 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:06 pm

HR Paperstacks wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:Can't get my original ID to work.

Still? It should be fixed now. If not, let me know.

Still

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2016 Census Estimates

Postby OmahaFan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:59 am

Maybe the Nebraska Governor and the Iowa governor can work out a deal and Omaha can annex over State lines and just make it part of Omaha. Though I don't think that has ever been done before. My idea is that the Omaha City Govt would take over by Council Bluffs wouldn't be annex into the State of Nebraska. Just thinking outloud!

Dundeemaha
Library Board
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:41 am
Location: Country Club

Re: 2016 Census Estimates

Postby Dundeemaha » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:13 pm

OmahaFan wrote:Maybe the Nebraska Governor and the Iowa governor can work out a deal and Omaha can annex over State lines and just make it part of Omaha. Though I don't think that has ever been done before. My idea is that the Omaha City Govt would take over by Council Bluffs wouldn't be annex into the State of Nebraska. Just thinking outloud!


Don't stop there, lets have Omaha secede from Nebraska, CB secede from Iowa and have the new State of Omaha petition to become the 51st state. (Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, maybe Gretna can join too if they want)

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Re: 2016 Census Estimates

Postby NovakOmaha » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:09 pm

We live in the Detroit suburb of Oak Park, just over the county line from Detroit. There are literally a bazillion cities, townships, villages, etc. in metro Detroit, each with their government. Some have streets with the same name, such as Lincoln. When we first moved here in 2008 I didn't know that you had to put the exact city in my gps. I often got directed to the wrong place. It would be impossible for Detroit to annex anything but how about if a few of the suburbs merged? There is a lot to be said for Omaha's annexation plans over the years. It sure seems to be more efficient.

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2016 Census Estimates

Postby OmahaFan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:01 pm

Well Omaha is Annexing 3 little neighborhoods a lot then I was expecting. I see the Mayor's focus is now road infrastructure which there is nothing wrong with it. Omaha need's to get it's road's into shape. I just wish we Annex 7 Neighborhood's this time to spread the cost out further. Also Regarding to the Detroit comment. I can only imagine the confusion that create's for the 911 dispatcher's in Detroit and the frustration if a pursuit goes into another city and then somehow turns on to the same street they were on (Name wise). I like Omaha spreading the cost out. So the burden is on everyone.

OmahaFan
Home Owners Association
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: 2016 Census Estimates

Postby OmahaFan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:04 pm

Dundeemaha wrote:
OmahaFan wrote:Maybe the Nebraska Governor and the Iowa governor can work out a deal and Omaha can annex over State lines and just make it part of Omaha. Though I don't think that has ever been done before. My idea is that the Omaha City Govt would take over by Council Bluffs wouldn't be annex into the State of Nebraska. Just thinking outloud!


Don't stop there, lets have Omaha secede from Nebraska, CB secede from Iowa and have the new State of Omaha petition to become the 51st state. (Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, maybe Gretna can join too if they want)



Haha I like your humor. I was just putting out a random shot in the dark idea! Btw Unrelated to this but I fully support Puerto Rican Statehood!


Return to “Statistics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest