3. Provo, UT
4. Ann Arbor, MI
5. Harrisburg, PA
6. Omaha
7. Manchester, NH
8. Trenton, NJ
9. Bridgeport, CT (tie)
9. Lincoln (tie)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

It's encouraging to see that 7 of the 10 cities listed would have been considered part of the "rust belt" 30 years ago, including Omaha------not one city in Texas, Arizona, California,  or the South.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well this is fabulous.

However, I wonder what their criteria were, as Omaha, like most American cities, is extremely lacking in many of the things that I think make a city livable.

*EDIT: I answered my own question.
To find them and others, we measured 200 Metropolitan Statistical Areas looking at the last five years of income growth; current unemployment rates; cost of living; crime rates and arts and culture ratings, using data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Moody's Economy.com, the FBI Crime Report and Sperling's Best Places.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Well this is fabulous.

However, I wonder what their criteria were, as Omaha, like most American cities, is extremely lacking in many of the things that I think make a city livable.

To find them and others, we measured 200 Metropolitan Statistical Areas looking at the last five years of income growth; current unemployment rates; cost of living; crime rates and arts and culture ratings, using data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Moody's Economy.com, the FBI Crime Report and Sperling's Best Places.
livable - suitable for living in; habitable; comfortable

Pray tell, what is Omaha lacking that prevents it from being habitable, let alone the "many" things it is lacking? Plenty of jobs, lots of housing, right in the middle of the greatest farmland in the world for food. My wife would probably argue a lack of clothing options, but that's her.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

OmahaBen wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Well this is fabulous.

livable - suitable for living in; habitable; comfortable

Pray tell, what is Omaha lacking that prevents it from being habitable, let alone the "many" things it is lacking? Plenty of jobs, lots of housing, right in the middle of the greatest farmland in the world for food. My wife would probably argue a lack of clothing options, but that's her.
As DTO noted, having options for being able to move around the city without a prerequisite of car-ownership is huge -- public transit, walkable and bikeable streets and neighborhoods. Car dependence is a major detraction from "livability" (literally) with the staggering loss of life associated with it annually. They should have taken that into account along with crime rates.

The definition of "livable" you provided is based on criteria that are very subjective. In terms of job growth, income growth, blah blah blah, sure, we're very livable. I don't know how "livable" we've been in terms of crime rates lately -- guns have been almost as deadly as cars lately.  :)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

When was the last time Omaha wasn't in one of Forbes' lists?
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

S33 wrote:When was the last time Omaha wasn't in one of Forbes' lists?
that's what i was thinking.
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Forbes: Metro a great place to live

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100512/N ... ce-to-live
Henry J. Cordes WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Christine Stell's previous job with Yahoo was in Barcelona, Spain, so the New Jersey native definitely has lived in more exotic and exciting places.

But since moving to Omaha for her job six months ago, she's been pleasantly surprised by the inviting people, range of entertainment options and general vibe she's found here.

“It was a big adjustment at first, but it's actually been wonderful,'' said Stell, 34. “Omaha is growing on me. I'm thinking of looking at some homes here.''

While people like Stell still find themselves surprised by the quality of life in Omaha, it seems the secret increasingly is getting out. Forbes magazine recently listed the Omaha-Council Bluffs metro sixth on its list of America's most livable cities.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Only a week or so late.