Omaha area Housing and Market statistics

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Creighton #1 - Best University in the Midwest

Post by Brad »

Creighton #1 - Best University in the Midwest

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100817/N ... -creighton
Matthew Hansen WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:For the eighth straight year, Creighton University is the best Midwestern university of its kind, according to U.S. News and World Report.

The magazine's annual college rankings, released Tuesday, again honored Creighton as the No. 1 university in the 12-state Midwestern region that stretches from Nebraska to Ohio.
Matthew Hansen WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:UNL is the nation’s 47th best public university, according to U.S. News. The University of Iowa is 29th and Iowa State University is 41st. This category is for universities that offer a full array of undergraduate and graduate degrees and do cutting-edge research.
Last edited by Brad on Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Congrats to Creighton, but how can they be number one without offering the wide array of academic programs and athletics that the larger universities are able to? Seems like they should have rankings based on enrollment, it's crazy to compare a school of 6k to the larger universities with 25-50k.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha World Herald wrote:The "regional university" category covers schools that have undergraduate and master's degree programs but offer few doctoral programs.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

11th year in a row!

Creighton No. 1 Again in National Ranking for Midwest Region

http://www.creighton.edu/publicrelation ... /index.php
Creighton University wrote:The annual U.S. News & World Report magazine's college rankings are out - and for the 11th year in a row, Creighton University is the No. 1 Midwest Regional university. It is the 16th time in 17 years that Creighton has ranked No. 1 in "America?s Best Colleges" edition and the 27th straight year the University has been ranked at or near the top of the magazine's rankings.

Creighton also was recognized for the seventh time as No. 1 in the Midwest region as a "best value," where students get the best return on their tuition investment.

The University was also given a nod for its commitment to student success in a category called "A-Plus Schools for B Students," a ranking which acknowledges schools who understand the importance of accepting students who possess a well-rounded high school experience. Creighton's undergraduate profile demonstrates that Creighton students were very involved in extracurricular and community activities during their high school years.

Creighton's undergraduate program in finance in the College of Business is also ranked in the top 25. The University was also honored in the Midwest region for undergraduate teaching methodology.

"Creighton exists for one powerful, purposeful reason: to enable our students to find their way in the world by making a meaningful contribution to it. These national honors provide prospective students and their families valuable insights as they make the critical decision to find the right college," said Timothy R. Lannon, S.J., Creighton president. "I am especially pleased that the University is considered a best value as students find here a depth and breadth of academic opportunities, with nine schools and colleges, rarely found in schools this size."

Criteria for U.S. News rankings include academic reputation and peer assessment, graduation and retention rates, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources and alumni giving.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

This is so cool.. But when I think about it I can't think of another school that offers the true 'East Coast' University experience better than Creighton. This area seems to be dominated by State Colleges..
Varsity
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Varsity »

Awesome news. It's amazing how much these rankings and publicity can impact prospective students. As a recent Creighton grad, I remember seeing the rankings and statistics and it really helped me make my decision (and I have absolutely no regrets, a great education with unrivaled faculty support, D-1 sports, great location..)

Being from Wisconsin, I know Marquette and SLU (another school I considered) have very similar vibes. I think they are in a different ranking category because they are larger, but either way from first hand experience and talking to friends at those schools I still feel CU would have a leg up overall in value. It would be interesting to see all the Jesuit schools across the country compared in one list across various categories like the US News and World Report rankings.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Creighton needs to slap this information in as many East Coast cities as possible.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I've heard wonderful things from the people I know who went to Creighton. I would say they definitely earned this rating.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Creighton Athletics Continues Success in Classroom
Go Creighton wrote:Creighton University student-athletes continue to excel in the classroom as well as on the field, water or court, according to the Division I Graduation Success Rate (GSR) Reports released today by the NCAA.  

Creighton led its former league, the Missouri Valley Conference, in student-athlete graduation success rate at 95 percent and was second in its current league, the BIG EAST Conference, in the same category.  The 95 percent ranking was tied for 21st nationally among schools according to figures calculated by Xavier.
Top 25 Schools - GSR
1.   Brown University             99
     Dartmouth College           99
     University of Notre Dame  99
4.   Bucknell University           98
     Colgate University            98
     College of Holy Cross        98
     Davidson College              98
     Duke University                98
     Harvard University            98
     Lafayette College              98
     Yale University                 98
12.  Xavier University             97
     Fairfield University           97
     Northwestern University   97
     Stanford University          97
     Wake Forest University    97
17.  Boston College                96
     Princeton University         96
     University of Dayton         96
     University of Pennsylvania 96
21.  American University          95
     Belmont University            95
     Boston University              95
     Cornell University              95
     Creighton University          95

BIG EAST Conference Members
Xavier University            97
Creighton University       95
Georgetown University    94
Villanova University        93
Seton Hall University      92
DePaul University           91
Marquette University      91
St. John’s University       91
Providence University     89
Butler University            85
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Creighton #1 - Best University in the Midwest

Post by iamjacobm »

https://www.creighton.edu/office-presid ... ing-2019-1
As I forecast at Convocation in February and have discussed with other key campus groups, I am very pleased to share with you today that Creighton’s distinctive offerings and complexity across our nine schools and colleges has been recognized by the prestigious Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Carnegie has added the University to its new category of Doctoral/Professional universities from our current ranking as a Master’s university.

As a result, Creighton’s ranking on various recognition lists, such as U.S. News & World Report, will soon change. The University has been listed under Midwest Regional Universities, and we have been No. 1 in that category for 16 consecutive years, but we are now included in the highly regarded National Universities category, which should be a new source of pride for the entire Creighton community.

The change by Carnegie was the result of the creation of an entirely new category of doctoral universities that offer at least 30 professional practice doctorates – such as MD, JD, DDS, PharmD, etc. – across a minimum of two programs. There are 123 private and 29 public universities in the new category with an average enrollment of just below 10,000 students each.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

iamjacobm wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:54 am https://www.creighton.edu/office-presid ... ing-2019-1
As I forecast at Convocation in February and have discussed with other key campus groups, I am very pleased to share with you today that Creighton’s distinctive offerings and complexity across our nine schools and colleges has been recognized by the prestigious Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Carnegie has added the University to its new category of Doctoral/Professional universities from our current ranking as a Master’s university.

As a result, Creighton’s ranking on various recognition lists, such as U.S. News & World Report, will soon change. The University has been listed under Midwest Regional Universities, and we have been No. 1 in that category for 16 consecutive years, but we are now included in the highly regarded National Universities category, which should be a new source of pride for the entire Creighton community.

The change by Carnegie was the result of the creation of an entirely new category of doctoral universities that offer at least 30 professional practice doctorates – such as MD, JD, DDS, PharmD, etc. – across a minimum of two programs. There are 123 private and 29 public universities in the new category with an average enrollment of just below 10,000 students each.
Interesting. Should we start a new thread to guess where Creighton lands of US News' Best National Universities for 2020? For reference UNL is ranked 129th nationally and UNO is 230-300.
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

Creighton’s a huge asset for Omaha, I don’t believe Kansas City which is about twice the size of Omaha has a university as prestigious as Creighton.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Cermak wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:34 am Creighton’s a huge asset for Omaha, I don’t believe Kansas City which is about twice the size of Omaha has a university as prestigious as Creighton.
Couldn’t agree more. I think Omaha should also be pushing the state (or board of regents or whoever would be responsible) to accelerate investment at UNO to bring it to the flagship level that UNL is at.
#gohawks
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

buildomaha wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:37 pm
Cermak wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:34 am Creighton’s a huge asset for Omaha, I don’t believe Kansas City which is about twice the size of Omaha has a university as prestigious as Creighton.
Couldn’t agree more. I think Omaha should also be pushing the state (or board of regents or whoever would be responsible) to accelerate investment at UNO to bring it to the flagship level that UNL is at.
I 100% agree.