Omaha #5 - Forbes: America's Safest Cities

Omaha area Housing and Market statistics

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Omaha #5 - Forbes: America's Safest Cities

Post by Coyote »

America's Safest Cities
Forbes wrote:Omaha, Neb., which came in fifth, has a median household income below the national median, and the median home value of $134,600 is 27% below the national median, according to the United States Census Bureau. Omaha isn't poor, but its strong safety record also can't be explained by pointing to the fat wallets of its citizens. Rather, the high percentage of Omahans with jobs contributes to its safety: The Omaha metropolitan area's unemployment rate is the seventh-lowest in the country, at 4.9%, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Don't let the rest of Nebraska find this out... :roll:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Fueled by gun violence in northeast Omaha, Nebraska has the third-highest black homicide rate in the nation, according to the latest compilation of detailed national homicide statistics.
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100221/NEWS01/702219915

About 8 months ago.  I wonder what creates the difference here?
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

heck don't tell this to any of the users of the WOWT, public pulse, or omaha.com comments section find this out.  They'd have nothing to complain about.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:heck don't tell this to any of the users of the WOWT, public pulse, or omaha.com comments section find this out.  They'd have nothing to complain about.
Yes they would.. They would first demand the facts and then go on a tirade about how we are poor here (despite the recent report giving us #1 for standard of living [wages versus cost of living + taxes])..

The outspoken depression driven CAVE people will find a hole in logic somewhere..
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Erik wrote: The outspoken depression driven CAVE people will find a hole in logic somewhere..
Erik wrote:STOP scanning for any type of hole to push a partisan party agenda!  This is a development forum, take your political Proselytizing to a political board.  People are real tired of these very disrespectful political tirades meant to demonize opinions of others in an attempt to convert.

You know who you are..
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Uh........yeAh.

I'm happy to see Omaha on the list, but I don't consider Plano, Glendale, Santa Ana and Anaheim to be cities so much as suburbs of larger cities.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Omaha ranked #17 in violent crime (out of 71 cities that fully reported violent crime stats).  Is that good?  Is that bad?  Depends where you live, I suppose.
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

I would have imagined we would be higher for median income... At least Omaha is endorsed by Forbes I suppose.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

S33 wrote:
Erik wrote: The outspoken depression driven CAVE people will find a hole in logic somewhere..
Erik wrote:STOP scanning for any type of hole to push a partisan party agenda!  This is a development forum, take your political Proselytizing to a political board.  People are real tired of these very disrespectful political tirades meant to demonize opinions of others in an attempt to convert.

You know who you are..
Exactly S33.  Thanks for helping me prove my point.