Coldest Cities

Omaha area Housing and Market statistics

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Coldest Cities

Post by Coyote »

THESE 20 U.S. CITIES ARE ALLOWED TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE COLD

Yes, it is cold enough out there for us. It doesn’t even matter where there is — if you live in the United States right now, it’s probably Polar-vortex-level freezing. But thanks to the Weather Channel’s list of the 20 coldest big cities in America, you know exactly where you stand as far as wind chill-induced misery goes. Is it colder in your city than where your friends live? Colder than Boston? Colder than — gasp — Chicago?
TWC used average 30-year temperatures for December, January, and February to determine not which city has the most extreme cold or snow but the most persistent chill during core winter months. The results — based on data from the National Climatic Data Center — may surprise you (for instance, I don’t generally tend to think Colorado or Missouri when I think of frostbite). Of the 100 most populous U.S. cities, the most consistently cold locales are:

1. Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota
2. Anchorage, Alaska
3. Madison, Wisconsin
4. Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5. Omaha, Nebraska
6. Chicago, Illinois
7. Lincoln, Nebraska
8. Rochester, New York
9. Buffalo, New York
10. Ft. Wayne, Indiana
11. Toledo, Ohio
12. Detroit, Michigan
13. Akron, Ohio
14. Cleveland, Ohio
15. Indianapolis, Indiana
16. Colorado Springs, Colorado
17. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
18. Denver, Colorado
19. Kansas City, Missouri
20. Boston, Massachusetts
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Re: Coldest Cities

Post by Erik »

We are a couple of degrees colder in January than those cities ahead of us...

What this report fails to consider is how we are warmer than a lot of those same cities in the fall and spring.

I believe their focus was the winter months only with no consideration to months like Oct-Nov, Feb-April. I saw how we are warmer by as much as 5-7 degrees.

Supporting like: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0762183.html