2013 Census Estimates

Omaha area Housing and Market statistics

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

User avatar
Garrett
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1777
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Chicago

2013 Census Estimates

Postby Garrett » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:24 pm

The county populations were released today.

https://www.census.gov/popest/data/counties/totals/2013/CO-EST2013-01.html

Omaha Metro:

2010: 865,350
2012: 885,624
2013: 895,151 (Up 3.44% since 2010)

Omaha CSA (Omaha Metro + Dodge County)

2010: 902,051
2013: 931,666

Lincoln Metro:

2010: 302,157
2013: 314,125 (Up 3.96% since 2010)

Grand Island Metro:

2010: 81,850
2013: 83,989 (Up 2.61% since 2010)

Kearney Micropolitan Area:

2010: 52,591
2013: 54,441 (Up 3.51% since 2010)

Norfolk Micropolitan Area:

2010: 48,271
2013: 48,561 (Up .6%)

Scottsbluff:

2010: 37,660
2013: 37,607 (Down .1%)

North Platte:

2010: 37,590
2013: 37,340 (Down .66%)
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8856
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby iamjacobm » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:44 pm

Nice Lincoln is really clicking and we are probably over 900K now since these numbers are as of July 1st last year.

User avatar
Garrett
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1777
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby Garrett » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:21 pm

iamjacobm wrote:Nice Lincoln is really clicking and we are probably over 900K now since these numbers are as of July 1st last year.


Assuming we continue at our 10,000 more per year standard, then yep! We should be somewhere around 902,000 right now.
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 5200
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby skinzfan23 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:32 pm

Come on 2024: One Million!

User avatar
gisbuxfan
Library Board
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:12 pm
Location: Grand Island, NE
Contact:

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby gisbuxfan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:33 pm

skinzfan23 wrote:Come on 2024: One Million!


If I did my math right the Grand Island metro area will hit 100,000 in 2040!

Candleshoe
Human Relations
Posts: 788
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:30 pm
Location: Grand Island, NE

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby Candleshoe » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:33 am

gisbuxfan wrote:If I did my math right the Grand Island metro area will hit 100,000 in 2040!


I'm inclined to think that Hastings/Adams County would be added to the GI Metro before 2040. The city limits signs for the two cities are now only 15 miles apart (with two towns, industrial parks, other manufacturing and service industry clusters and a handful of subdivisions in between) and more people are commuting for work between the two cities than ever before (which is one of the criteria for establishing which counties count in the metro).

Adding Adams County's 31,610 would give the GI Metro 115,599 in todays estimates.

Whether it actually happens as a result of the 2020 census or the 2030, both cities are growing, albeit at different rates, but it will eventually come.

User avatar
gisbuxfan
Library Board
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:12 pm
Location: Grand Island, NE
Contact:

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby gisbuxfan » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:34 pm

Candleshoe wrote:
gisbuxfan wrote:If I did my math right the Grand Island metro area will hit 100,000 in 2040!


I'm inclined to think that Hastings/Adams County would be added to the GI Metro before 2040. The city limits signs for the two cities are now only 15 miles apart (with two towns, industrial parks, other manufacturing and service industry clusters and a handful of subdivisions in between) and more people are commuting for work between the two cities than ever before (which is one of the criteria for establishing which counties count in the metro).

Adding Adams County's 31,610 would give the GI Metro 115,599 in todays estimates.  

Whether it actually happens as a result of the 2020 census or the 2030, both cities are growing, albeit at different rates, but it will eventually come.


I'm amazed at the growth. It would be even greater if the tri cities had a unified vision to draw people to the area. I've always thought that Grand Island is missing the boat by not building on the interstate. Lots of cars pass through not realizing a city is just 5 miles north.

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby bigredmed » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:12 pm

gisbuxfan wrote:
Candleshoe wrote:
gisbuxfan wrote:If I did my math right the Grand Island metro area will hit 100,000 in 2040!


I'm inclined to think that Hastings/Adams County would be added to the GI Metro before 2040. The city limits signs for the two cities are now only 15 miles apart (with two towns, industrial parks, other manufacturing and service industry clusters and a handful of subdivisions in between) and more people are commuting for work between the two cities than ever before (which is one of the criteria for establishing which counties count in the metro).

Adding Adams County's 31,610 would give the GI Metro 115,599 in todays estimates.  

Whether it actually happens as a result of the 2020 census or the 2030, both cities are growing, albeit at different rates, but it will eventually come.


I'm amazed at the growth. It would be even greater if the tri cities had a unified vision to draw people to the area. I've always thought that Grand Island is missing the boat by not building on the interstate. Lots of cars pass through not realizing a city is just 5 miles north.


I think they have a plan. Kearney wants no heavy industry and pushes everything like that to Mexington or GI. Hastings likes being a sleepy college town, and tries to stay that way.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20625
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby Coyote » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:24 pm

Mexington. :lol:
Image

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby bigredmed » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:25 pm

Coyote wrote:Mexington.  :lol:


That is what Lexington is now called. Would be interesting to see if they could have come up with a similar insult had Lex kept it's original name of Plum Creek. After some ranchers burned a couple of homesteaders alive in downtown Lex, they kind of had an image problem.

User avatar
S33
County Board
Posts: 4552
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby S33 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:06 pm

Crete and Schyler are both nearing Hispanic majorities as well.
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Winston Churchill

User avatar
Garrett
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1777
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby Garrett » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:36 pm

S33 wrote:Crete and Schyler are both nearing Hispanic majorities as well.


Schuyler actually has 65% Hispanic population as of 2010.
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

User avatar
S33
County Board
Posts: 4552
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby S33 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:58 am

Garrett wrote:
S33 wrote:Crete and Schyler are both nearing Hispanic majorities as well.


Schuyler actually has 65% Hispanic population as of 2010.

Well slap my @ss and call me Sally. I knew it had to be up there.

I've been thinking about tricking my family and taking them to Mexico for Vacation, and blindfolding them and taking them to Schuyler instead, and maybe hitting up a few Mexican restaurants or something. Would save me a ton of money.
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Winston Churchill

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8856
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby iamjacobm » Thu May 22, 2014 11:47 am

They just released city stats. Haven't even looked for Omaha yet.

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 5200
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby skinzfan23 » Thu May 22, 2014 12:39 pm

iamjacobm wrote:They just released city stats. Haven't even looked for Omaha yet.

I just checked, this is what I found on the census website:

Rank 2010 census 2010 est 2011 est 2012 est 2013 est
42 Omaha city, Nebraska 408,958 418,312 423,133 428,850 434,353
Last edited by skinzfan23 on Thu May 22, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 5200
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby skinzfan23 » Thu May 22, 2014 12:40 pm

Those numbers look different than what the past estimates have been though: I thought the 2012 estimate was 421,570, but now it is showing 428,850 as the 2012 estimate.

User avatar
Garrett
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1777
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby Garrett » Fri May 23, 2014 6:31 pm

I thought Ralston was particularly notable this estimate. For years its been hanging right around 6,000, but now it's jumped up to 7,220!
Ralston city, Nebraska 2010:5,949 2011:6,582 2012:7,187 2013:7,220

What happened there?

Also worth noting is that Gretna has continued its monumental growth, and now has over 5,000 people, making it a first class city.

Gretna city, Nebraska 2010:4,441 2011:5,189 2012:5,390 2013:5,584
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 5200
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby skinzfan23 » Fri May 23, 2014 10:58 pm

I figured Ralston's growth can be attributed some to the Oaks at Lakeview apartments. We lived there for a year. I believe there are 276 apts there, which if there are on average 3 people per unit, that would put the additional population around 800.

User avatar
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board
Posts: 2056
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Wed May 28, 2014 10:51 am

skinzfan23 wrote:Those numbers look different than what the past estimates have been though:  I thought the 2012 estimate was 421,570, but now it is showing 428,850 as the 2012 estimate.


They go back and revise their numbers a lot. Don't be surprised if it's different again next year too.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7876
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby MTO » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:30 pm

Is the Omaha CSA at 1 mil by now?
15-17, 26, 32

User avatar
Garrett
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1777
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby Garrett » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:10 pm

Assuming the CSA's growth is the same this year as it has been before, it should be around 942,000
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7876
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby MTO » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:23 am

Grrrr come on Omaha. I'm not a population geek but for some reason just popping the 1 million mark seams like a big deal. If only just for saying we're a million. We should celebrate the milestone once it's officisl. lol
Last edited by MTO on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15-17, 26, 32

Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 3821
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby Linkin5 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:14 pm

MTO wrote:Grrrr come on Omaha. I'm not a population geek but for some reason just popping the 1 million mark seams like a big deal. If only just for saying we're a million. We should celebrate the milestone once it's officisl. Lil


I'm sure your genius business acquisitions will aid in Omaha's prosperous future.

User avatar
Garrett
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1777
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby Garrett » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:49 am

Well the release of the 2014 counties is right around the corner... Any guesses?
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

User avatar
S33
County Board
Posts: 4552
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby S33 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:46 pm

Garrett wrote:Well the release of the 2014 counties is right around the corner... Any guesses?
Slightly more people than the last one? :shrug:
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Winston Churchill

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7876
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: 2013 Census Estimates

Postby MTO » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:34 am

...in the urban and near urban counties but slightly less in the rural ones.
15-17, 26, 32


Return to “Statistics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest