The Best Job Markets For 2016

Omaha area Housing and Market statistics

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

ZipRecruiter wrote:Here’s our list of the top ten best job markets for 2016, which we have determined by ranking cities by Applicants to Employer ratio, Applications to Job posting ratio, and Bureau of Labor Statistics unemployment scores:

1. Madison, WI
2. Des Moines-West Des Moines, IA
3. Omaha-Council Bluffs, NE-IA

Omaha retained a spot on our list of best job markets from last year, maintaining the “low unemployment rate, vibrant economy, solid population growth, and continued livability” that has enabled the city to set a standard for economic health in the upper Midwest.

Unemployment Rate: 2.90%

Top 5 Industries:

Customer Service
Insurance
Hospitality/Restaurant
Information Technology
Healthcare

4. Albany-Schenectady-Troy, NY
5. Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, OR-WA
6. Pittsburgh, PA
7. Harrisburg-Carlisle, PA
8. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI
9. Rochester, NY
10. Little Rock-North Little Rock-Conway, AR
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Re: The Best Job Markets For 2016

Post by daveoma »

NICE! :thumb:
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

So out of towners move your butts to Omaha.
Last edited by MTO on Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15-17, 26, 32
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Oh man, where's Erik? That Des Moines once again shows US who is boss! :)
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

NEDodger wrote:Oh man, where's Erik? That Des Moines once again shows US who is boss! :)
LOL I didn't want to be the only one to say it.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Wait a dog-gone minute..

We know Omaha is a horrible, decrepit place that has NO future.. Just look at this latest ranking list- Des Moines kicks our a$$ again..

I think it's time we all move out now..to central Iowa, or another similarly stated Shangra la..

:lol: ..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Wait a dog-gone minute..

We know Omaha is a horrible, decrepit place that has NO future.. Just look at this latest ranking list- Des Moines kicks our a$$ again..

I think it's time we all move out now..to central Iowa, or another similarly stated Shangra la..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
:lol:

I have enjoyed my roasting. I know I deserve it, believe me. I know it's not your guy's problem, but Ive been the recipient of too much for one guy to handle. I have, admittedly, cracked again. In trying to be a 'warrior' for several people, I must bottle up a lot. I have to, which makes me vulnerable to busting down in situations that I cannot even predict. This is an ongoing situation for several years.

I am sorry. I admit that I am the doosh here and you are all correct to roast. I cannot guarantee that this is the last time, but I apologize ahead of time and will understandably accept all criticism, labels and roasts.

I am sorry. You guys don deserve it. I will try harder.

Peace! Go Omaha and GBR!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Erik wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

I have enjoyed my roasting. I know I deserve it, believe me. I know it's not your guy's problem, but Ive been the recipient of too much for one guy to handle. I have, admittedly, cracked again. In trying to be a 'warrior' for several people, I must bottle up a lot. I have to, which makes me vulnerable to busting down in situations that I cannot even predict. This is an ongoing situation for several years.

I am sorry. I admit that I am the doosh here and you are all correct to roast. I cannot guarantee that this is the last time, but I apologize ahead of time and will understandably accept all criticism, labels and roasts.

Peace! Go Omaha and GBR!
Well damn, I just blew my pitchfork out. :cheers: and trust me you came across as about innocuous as it gets especially compared to our past forum buttholes.
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Erik wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Peace! Go Omaha and GBR!
Erik, my forum friend, it's all good..

Passion. I like it. But what I've learned along the way, as it relates to this city forum boosterism thing, is that passion must be balanced with real factual perspective. No place anyone lives is perfect.. They all have their warts..

Keep the perspective that where Omaha was 20-25 years ago to where it is now in 2016 is a light years difference in the positive..and knocking on the doorstep of a 1 million metro. It's an exciting time to live here in the O..

And you need not apologize for a thing. Differing opinions and perspectives makes these forums more interesting and lively..

Happy 2016 to you..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Erik,

I'm sorry for picking at you. My pride of this city, which in the grand scheme of the cosmos, really isn't anything significant, got the better of my judgment and I said some things that I probably could have kept to myself. I'm fine with people complaining about things that suck on this forum - there definitely are many things to complain about concerning Omaha, and we don't necessarily stack up too well against other cities in our class. We aren't the flashiest, we don't have a good track record with our historic buildings, our governor makes our state look terrible, we have an addiction to parking like it's freaking heroin, our skyline leaves much to be desired, and we lost one of our Fortune 500s (although we could have gave them the world on a silver platter and blown them for the privilege and they still would have left). There are things that are really worth (and sometimes satisfying) to complain about.

That being said, my reaction (and the reaction of others) comes not necessarily because of intolerance for dissent of any kind, but because at times, it went beyond complaining and warped to a sense of '|expletive| this place,' more or less. It was mentioned about how our city is embarrassing, and living here is like being in prison. That's not complaining, it's like listening to someone whine about their ex a year after breaking up. It got old very quickly, is what I am trying to say.

Moving on, that didn't give any of us the right to bash you or make fun of you, and myself at least could have responded better for it. Even if you do decide that Omaha isn't a place you can be proud of, at least recognize the fact that many people still are proud of the biggest little city that could. Wherever you do end up, I hope you find what you're looking for and won't be a stranger around this forum.

:sun:
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

RNcyanide wrote:Erik,

I'm sorry for picking at you. My pride of this city, which in the grand scheme of the cosmos, really isn't anything significant, got the better of my judgment and I said some things that I probably could have kept to myself. I'm fine with people complaining about things that suck on this forum - there definitely are many things to complain about concerning Omaha, and we don't necessarily stack up too well against other cities in our class. We aren't the flashiest, we don't have a good track record with our historic buildings, our governor makes our state look terrible, we have an addiction to parking like it's freaking heroin, our skyline leaves much to be desired, and we lost one of our Fortune 500s (although we could have gave them the world on a silver platter and blown them for the privilege and they still would have left). There are things that are really worth (and sometimes satisfying) to complain about.

That being said, my reaction (and the reaction of others) comes not necessarily because of intolerance for dissent of any kind, but because at times, it went beyond complaining and warped to a sense of '|expletive| this place,' more or less. It was mentioned about how our city is embarrassing, and living here is like being in prison. That's not complaining, it's like listening to someone whine about their ex a year after breaking up. It got old very quickly, is what I am trying to say.

Moving on, that didn't give any of us the right to bash you or make fun of you, and myself at least could have responded better for it. Even if you do decide that Omaha isn't a place you can be proud of, at least recognize the fact that many people still are proud of the biggest little city that could. Wherever you do end up, I hope you find what you're looking for and won't be a stranger around this forum.

:sun:
The reality is that we have far more to be proud of than we have to complain.

The loss of a fortune 500 company is a reality which all cities experience. Weve done it several times before and will again. Our job isnt to focus on the inevitable or anything which we cannot control, but to harness what we can. For instance, we have two fortune 1000 companies not too far from the 500 statu (green plains enery nd tdameritrade), both of which are rising. What gets lost into the shuffle of discussion is that these losses are part of the normal business cycle.

And we do play much bigger than most peer cities. Think about what we have here, the lofty ratings and etc. The noted music scene, the noted festival scene, the arts programs, the zoo, lauritzen center, the museum, the mega developments that you rarely see outside of the very large cities.

This place is exceptional, albeit with problems. But it's okay to boast about the remarkable attributes of this place.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

1200 + jobs gone with ConAgra. Now 700 good paying jobs gone with Ft. Calhoun nuclear power station. Omaha seems to be hemorrhaging with lost jobs.