drsunu1994
New to the Neighborhood

Omaha Ranked top for affordability, Economic Strength, and Quality of lyfe

Post by drsunu1994 »

MTO
City Council

Re: Omaha Ranked top for affordability, Economic Strength, and Quality of lyfe

Post by MTO »

OKC grew at 8.16%, DSM 8.32% and OMA 5.54%, yet again top accolades without the prosperity.
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The best thing about this article, is reading the ignorant commentary in the comment section..

If you need a good laugh, go no further...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I just read this article. It also has a link to a related article that indicates that popular cities that formerly ranked high in quality of life, economic growth and affordability seem invariably to become so popular that they cease being affordable places to own or rent a home. Portland, Oregon is listed as a good example of a city no longer deemed affordable. And the article emphasizes that the key to keeping a city affordable is in making sure it's housing supply keeps growing as fast as possible. Particularly rental housing.
I have no idea how Omaha stacks up in terms of constructing enough housing units to satisfy growing demand. Apparently we are doing good enough.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:The best thing about this article, is reading the ignorant commentary in the comment section..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I added a few comments of my own to the comment section.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nativeomahan wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:The best thing about this article, is reading the ignorant commentary in the comment section..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
The absolute ignorance of some people never ceases to amaze.. Our schools must be failing us, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

nativeomahan wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I did as well. Love how snarky comments slamming us got approved right away, but positive comments still wait.

The hate is strong with the Gizmodo set.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well it sounds like the southlands are on fur!

http://m.omaha.com/money/developers-hom ... l?mode=jqm
15-17, 26, 32
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Continuing the theme of this thread, Trulia lists Omaha in it's top 5 cities for millenials.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

nebraska wrote:Continuing the theme of this thread, Trulia lists Omaha in it's top 5 cities for millenials.
What can we do to stop this? We are a great city to live in because we have been ignored by the rest of the country and reviled by the rest of Nebraska for so long that we have had the change to become OUR city rather than a collection of trend slaves.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

bigredmed wrote:
nebraska wrote:Continuing the theme of this thread, Trulia lists Omaha in it's top 5 cities for millenials.
What can we do to stop this? We are a great city to live in because we have been ignored by the rest of the country and reviled by the rest of Nebraska for so long that we have had the change to become OUR city rather than a collection of trend slaves.
Don't worry. Trulia and other real estate websites aren't exactly sources of hot new trends.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
Don't worry. Trulia and other real estate websites aren't exactly sources of hot new trends.
I am reassured by this, but I worry that other cities (like Albuquerque) in a desperate attempt to seem cool, spend their energy trying to chase the latest coolness and end up being unliveable. ABQ is great if you can either afford private school or don't have kids. Need public schools? Well, might have a problem. I like Omaha because it focuses itself on what IT needs, not what others think is cool.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

The surprisingly short list of US metro areas achieving inclusive economic growth
However, few of these places achieved inclusive growth. Measured one way—by improving the employment rate, median earnings, and relative poverty—only 11 of the 30 metro areas achieved inclusive economic outcomes: Albany, Austin, Charleston, Columbus, Dayton, Denver, Oklahoma City, Omaha, San Antonio, Tulsa, and Worcester.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebraska wrote:The surprisingly short list of US metro areas achieving inclusive economic growth
However, few of these places achieved inclusive growth. Measured one way—by improving the employment rate, median earnings, and relative poverty—only 11 of the 30 metro areas achieved inclusive economic outcomes: Albany, Austin, Charleston, Columbus, Dayton, Denver, Oklahoma City, Omaha, San Antonio, Tulsa, and Worcester.
That is a very interesting read..

Thanks for the share :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!