Millennials Population Growth per City

Omaha area Housing and Market statistics

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Millennials Population Growth per City

Post by Coyote »

Kelly: 'A great place to get going': More millennials are calling Omaha home
Michael Kelly - World-Herald columnist wrote:Among the 50 largest U.S. metros, the largest population growth among millennials in the past decade was in Charlotte, Houston, Austin, Seattle, Virginia Beach — and Omaha.

In May, the Seattle-based real estate database Zillow ranked Omaha No. 1 in a new category — lowest percentage of young adults 24 to 34 living with their parents. Omaha’s 11 percent was well below the U.S. average of 21 percent.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Re: Millennials Population Growth per City

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:Kelly: 'A great place to get going': More millennials are calling Omaha home
Michael Kelly - World-Herald columnist wrote:Among the 50 largest U.S. metros, the largest population growth among millennials in the past decade was in Charlotte, Houston, Austin, Seattle, Virginia Beach — and Omaha.

In May, the Seattle-based real estate database Zillow ranked Omaha No. 1 in a new category — lowest percentage of young adults 24 to 34 living with their parents. Omaha’s 11 percent was well below the U.S. average of 21 percent.

Ugh... time to build a wall around the city.

:P
No posts exist for this topic
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Coyote wrote:Kelly: 'A great place to get going': More millennials are calling Omaha home

Ugh... time to build a wall around the city.

:P
This may be the beginning of the end for one of our chronic problems. That 20 something's finish their degrees and leave only to get stuck on the coast where they can't have the life they could have had here once they hit their 30's.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I find this to be excellent news..

In my generation (I was born in the early 60's) most people my age (24-34) in the mid 80's to mid 90's couldn't wait to "get out" of Omaha..

That perception has completely changed in the past 15 years or so. The reality of great job opportunity and lower cost of living..combined with the fact that you have pretty much everything you want here (the grass is not greener anymore).. Makes Omaha a great destination point for the millennial crowd locally and throughout the US...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I enjoyed the part about Brat Pitt being the "farmer from Omaha...."

Yep, just the other day I watched a video about the crops on the farm at 72nd & Dodge. Oh wait. That's the Crossroads parking lot...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Best Metro Areas for Millennials in 2018
When it comes time to pick a place to live, there’s an astounding amount of both cultural and social pressure to simply move to where everyone else is – as a result of this, many people move to coastal cities like New York or Los Angeles because it’s “the thing to do.” At RealtyHop, however, we would challenge those feeling the pressures of that social and cultural inertia to be a bit more analytical in one’s approach to where to move. As a millennial, how can one be thoughtful in their approach to where they should live or move to?

To help answer this question, the Data Science team at RealtyHop took a look at various data from the US Census American Community Survey, focusing on aspects of metropolitan areas that would make them appealing to millennials. We have compiled a list focusing on things like the job market, median incomes, housing affordability, mobility / geographic diversity and education levels.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (114.46 KiB) Viewed 4613 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha: If You're a Millennial, Move Here Now
PRNewswire wrote: Omaha has hustle. From just-in rankings as Fortune Magazine's No. 5 city where employees are the happiest, to the 2018 No. 1 best metro area for millennials, Omaha is celebrating a winning streak marked by high opportunity and low cost of living.

"Home to titans of industry, a charming turn of the century downtown district and a rocking music scene, Omaha is anything but a fly-over city," wrote Jeffery Marino, ZipRecruiter's data journalist when he and colleagues named Omaha the No. 1 Best City for College Grads to Start Their Careers in 2018.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

It’s impressive indeed that Omaha is ranked #1 overall..

Just as important to note, that out of the top 20 in these rankings, 17 are from the Midwest region..

Flyover country? Hmmm :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:45 pm Just as important to note, that out of the top 20 in these rankings, 17 are from the Midwest region..

Flyover country? Hmmm :thumb: ...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (232.35 KiB) Viewed 4590 times
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

I'm a Gen Xer, so this isn't aimed at me, but I find it interesting that Pittsburgh is so high. It's probably the city, other than Omaha, I would be happiest living in.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

I fit into this target category and am not surprised Omaha does well in this list. Cheap housing, plenty of entertainment options, and a low employment rate are all easily measured.

However, I saw an article last year about the brain drain of college grads out of Nebraska and can echo that anecdotally. Omaha likely breaks even in this category by attracting young people from nearby towns, but still sees many young, educated people leave to go elsewhere. Part of this is human nature to look for something new, but I have many friends who have left for career or social opportunities with hopes to return eventually. While Omaha is a large city, there are still several industries in which someone still has to move to Chicago, New York, the Bay area, or Denver for career advancement. I am curious is this study looked at the types of jobs available rather than just unemployment rates. I'm guessing not based on the presence of so many smaller metro areas listed.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Taco wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:16 pm [...] While Omaha is a large city, there are still several industries in which someone still has to move to Chicago, New York, the Bay area, or Denver for career advancement. I am curious is this study looked at the types of jobs available rather than just unemployment rates. I'm guessing not based on the presence of so many smaller metro areas listed.
I believe you're right. Part of the reason why larger cities are so expensive and draw millennials to them is because they are places with more career opportunities within a variety of industries. While there are tech jobs around Omaha and Lincoln, there are MORE in Silicon Valley and Austin. I can't speak for the level of competition, but having a higher quantity will typically be a draw, particularly if you're not finding the opportunities you're looking for where you are. Anecdotally, this is why I left Omaha for Chicago. Omaha had no urban planner jobs suitable for me, but Chicago did.

Quantity also often leads to quality in this argument. The top companies often want to be where there are the most workers in the fields for which they need to operate. That's part of why you end up with industry clustering. This is another reason why cities can be so expensive and still be successful. If given the opportunity, would someone want to work at Hudl in Lincoln (which is a great company and I'm not suggesting otherwise), or Apple in Silicon Valley. Silicon Valley is going to go to town on your personal finances in ways that Lincoln never will, but working for Apple is probably going to provide better opportunity to work on the types of projects you dreamed of when you got your comp sci degree and will be quite a selling point on your resume to any future employer.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Tech has been good to me in Omaha. I made over 100k in my fourth year of programming.. Recruiters beg for interviews here, lol. I am not all that smart, but my skills are in huge demand here.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Taco wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:16 pm I fit into this target category and am not surprised Omaha does well in this list. Cheap housing, plenty of entertainment options, and a low employment rate are all easily measured.

However, I saw an article last year about the brain drain of college grads out of Nebraska and can echo that anecdotally. Omaha likely breaks even in this category by attracting young people from nearby towns, but still sees many young, educated people leave to go elsewhere. Part of this is human nature to look for something new, but I have many friends who have left for career or social opportunities with hopes to return eventually. While Omaha is a large city, there are still several industries in which someone still has to move to Chicago, New York, the Bay area, or Denver for career advancement. I am curious is this study looked at the types of jobs available rather than just unemployment rates. I'm guessing not based on the presence of so many smaller metro areas listed.
I agree with your observation. And I am curious as to why the authors of these “studies” almost never live in the cities they tout as being so popular.
And by the way, your taco photo looks sooo delicious!
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

nativeomahan wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:54 am And by the way, your taco photo looks sooo delicious!
Thanks, wish I could say its a place I have tried, but it's just the result of a google search for taco al pastor
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:23 pm I believe you're right. Part of the reason why larger cities are so expensive and draw millennials to them is because they are places with more career opportunities within a variety of industries. While there are tech jobs around Omaha and Lincoln, there are MORE in Silicon Valley and Austin.
I think that is just one bullet point out of many. I can get a tech job in Austin and still work from home in Omaha, because the cost of living is low here. Millennials are nearing 40 years old and jobs are not the #1 thing to many of us. One of my main points is airport connections, followed by healthcare/hospitals. Generally cities with international airports have an abundance of hospitals, so that's good.

I think Omaha has pretty good airport connections (for where I travel to) and their healthcare (for what I need) is alright. Low cost of living and friendly people is what really keeps me here though. Although property taxes does have me looking at other places.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

New study tells where millennials are moving to and where they're not

TOP METRO AREAS MILLENNIALS ARE MOVING TO

Based on 2017 Census American Community Survey

Madison, Wisc. - 74.98 percent
New Haven-Milford, Conn. - 74.70 percent
Syracuse, N.Y. - 73.30 percent
Grand Rapids-Wyoming, Mich. - 72.70 percent
Richmond, Va. - 70.50 percent
Urban Honolulu, Hawaii - 70.20 percent
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, Wash. - 69.60 percent
Toledo, Ohio - 69.40 percent
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, Calif. - 68.50 percent
Durham-Chapel Hill, N.C. - 67.90 percent
Omaha-Council Bluffs, Neb.-Iowa - 67.50 percent
Provo-Orem, Utah - 67.30 percent
San Diego-Carlsbad, Calif. - 67.10 percent
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, Calif. - 67.10 percent
Boston-Cambridge-Newton, Maine-N.H. - 66.80 percent
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Was at Viaduct Gardens today. Drove back via Dodge. The road into south Waterloo is open. The Elkhorn decided to move a goodly portion of the Sandhills to it’s Westside, Omaha now has a beach!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

bigredmed1 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:56 pm Was at Viaduct Gardens today. Drove back via Dodge. The road into south Waterloo is open. The Elkhorn decided to move a goodly portion of the Sandhills to it’s Westside, Omaha now has a beach!
How many Millennials were at Omaha Beach?
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Coyote wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:15 pm
bigredmed1 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:56 pm Was at Viaduct Gardens today. Drove back via Dodge. The road into south Waterloo is open. The Elkhorn decided to move a goodly portion of the Sandhills to it’s Westside, Omaha now has a beach!
How many Millennials were at Omaha Beach?
Huh?

I mean a mile long sand beach along the river. A beach that could be a fun recreational outlet.