Metro Population Growth 2006 - 2007

Omaha area Housing and Market statistics

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nativeomahan
County Board

Metro Population Growth 2006 - 2007

Post by nativeomahan »

The new US Census Bureau numbers are in, with July 1, 2007 population estimates by county.

Metro Omaha (8 counties) grew by 9,143 in past year (one county, Harrison, shrunk by 103 people), to 829,890

Lancaster Co. grew by 3,872, to 275,665

The Metro DSM area (Story, Polk, Dallas counties) grew by 10,879, to 560,379

http://www.census.gov/popest/counties/

Some quick observations:  Metro Omaha continues to do well, at the expense of everywhere else in the state except Lincoln.  Metro DSM is on something of a tear, compared with Omaha.

These are just "estimates", and will be worth nothing come the 2010 census.  But Metro Omaha should top 850,000 by April 1, 2010 if these estimates hold.
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Re: Metro Population Growth 2006 - 2007

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

nativeomahan wrote:

The Des Moines MSA includes Polk, Dallas, Warren, Madison, and Guthrie counties.  Story County (Ames) is a separate MSA.  :D
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Ingersoll1978 wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:

The Des Moines MSA includes Polk, Dallas, Warren, Madison, and Guthrie counties.  Story County (Ames) is a separate MSA.  :D
That then changes their growth from 10,879 to 10,844 in the 12 month period (7-1-06 -- 7-1-07).  Very impressive for a metro area of only 547,000.  Ames (Story Co.) is like Fremont is to Omaha...very close, but it has its own identity.
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

nativeomahan wrote:
Ingersoll1978 wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:
That then changes their growth from 10,879 to 10,844 in the 12 month period (7-1-06 -- 7-1-07).  Very impressive for a metro area of only 547,000.  Ames (Story Co.) is like Fremont is to Omaha...very close, but it has its own identity.
Ames is more like a Lincoln (although Ames is 15 miles closer and much smaller).  The Des Moines CSA includes Jasper (Newton) and Marion (Pella and Knoxville) Counties.  The Ames CSA includes Boone County.  The Omaha CSA includes Dodge County.

It's great that both metros are growing at a healthy rate!
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

You mean it's much closer to the Lincoln MSA of 292,000 than the Fremont micro of 36,000
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

We all know the reason that Des Moines is doing so well. They have a DT baseball stadium. :)
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Exactly. That's one of the many things we could do better. Big companies aren't going to move here if they don't feel some of their employees will be accepted and treated fairly. Nebraska is horrible to it's gay people but we manage in spite of it all.
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

While one can cite the social environment, quality of life, job creation, etc, etc... neither Omaha or Des Moines are seeing significant growth from outside of their own state.  Iowa has over 1 million more people than Nebraska.  It stands to reason, as those people make the move to the 'big city'... Des Moines is going to see bigger numeric gains.  It will take many decades, but eventually Des Moines will surpass Omaha from the rural to suburban shift of Iowa residents alone.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Honestly, if Des Moines passes Omaha in population at any time it wouldn't bother me in the least bit..

What would bother me would be if Omaha goes back to the days of the 80's when I was a kid just dreaming up things of what the city could be while everybody sat on their hands doing nothing and losing companies of the likes of.... well.... enron..

The 80's are a black spot in Omaha's history, as well as the 70's and I couldn't take it if it were to go back to those days.

Now if Des Moines passes Omaha in population, it would have to outgain Omaha by almost 300,000 which makes it appear that those days are far far far into the future, but with that said..  I hope Des Moines keeps up their growth, it's very healthy for the area and it is a very good city in the making.

:D
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Re: ..

Post by NovakOmaha »

Erik wrote:Honestly, if Des Moines passes Omaha in population at any time it wouldn't bother me in the least bit..

What would bother me would be if Omaha goes back to the days of the 80's when I was a kid just dreaming up things of what the city could be while everybody sat on their hands doing nothing and losing companies of the likes of.... well.... enron..

The 80's are a black spot in Omaha's history, as well as the 70's and I couldn't take it if it were to go back to those days.

:D
I just deleted a whole long reply.  Needless to say, I disagree with you.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Erik wrote:Honestly, if Des Moines passes Omaha in population at any time it wouldn't bother me in the least bit..:D
It wouldn't bother me either Erik..But I highly doubt it would ever happen..And if it were to, it would probably take 1 century (100 years)..And Des Moines would have to continue to grow at its current pace for those 100 years..While Omaha not grow at all during that same time frame..

So you see, it is EXTREMELY unlikely to even happen..

Lets celebrate the current healthy growth of both metros..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Erik wrote:Honestly, if Des Moines passes Omaha in population at any time it wouldn't bother me in the least bit..:D
It wouldn't bother me either Erik..But I highly doubt it would ever happen..And if it were to, it would probably take 1 century (100 years)..And Des Moines would have to continue to grow at its current pace for those 100 years..While Omaha not grow at all during that same time frame..

So you see, it is EXTREMELY unlikely to even happen..

Lets celebrate the current healthy growth of both metros..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace

That's another thing, Des Moines estimate shows a growth of about 1,000 more than Omaha this year.  If that were to continue and somehow Lincoln doesn't get added to the MSA then Des Moines will be bigger than Omaha near the 24th century  :D
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

what did our csa grow to?
bradical
Home Owners Association

Post by bradical »

The one positive for Des Moines is that with their continued growth, their city planners had the incite to build adequate infrastructure and roadways to support their urban sprawls to area like Ankeny, Grimes, Altoona, Norwalk, and Carlisle. For the size of Des Moines, they have a very nice metro area, their downtown overshadows other cities like Omaha, KC, and St. Louis. As a native of the area, I am glad to see the city growing and showing some life.[/u]
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:what did our csa grow to?
Omaha's CSA estimate for 2007 is now 866,000 (865,894)..

And please bradical..I like Des Moines..I really do..But to say their downtown overshadows Omaha's is over the top in a BIG way IMO..

The downtown's of both cities are great and distinctly different..Lets just celebrate both..And not get completely carried away..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

What was the previous estimated CSA?
bradical
Home Owners Association

Post by bradical »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:And please bradical..I like Des Moines..I really do..But to say their downtown overshadows Omaha's is over the top in a BIG way IMO..

The downtown's of both cities are great and distinctly different..Lets just celebrate both..And not get completely carried away
Des Moines does have more concentrated, taller, verticle buildings than Omaha.

DSM has 5 structures 25 stories or taller:
801 Grand (45)
Ruan (36)
DSM Marriot (33)
DSM Financial Center (25)
HUB Building (25)

Omaha has 2:
One First National (45)
Woodmen (30)

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love downtown Omaha, and it has many things a lot of other cities can't offer, but from a strict structure standpoint, DSM has us licked.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

bradical wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:And please bradical..I like Des Moines..I really do..But to say their downtown overshadows Omaha's is over the top in a BIG way IMO..

The downtown's of both cities are great and distinctly different..Lets just celebrate both..And not get completely carried away
Des Moines does have more concentrated, taller, verticle buildings than Omaha.

DSM has 5 structures 25 stories or taller:
801 Grand (45)
Ruan (36)
DSM Marriot (33)
DSM Financial Center (25)
HUB Building (25)

Omaha has 2:
One First National (45)
Woodmen (30)

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love downtown Omaha, and it has many things a lot of other cities can't offer, but from a strict structure standpoint, DSM has us licked.
[center]

Des Moines has 5 25 story to our 2 in DT

We will have a third 30 story tower to their 3 in a couple of years..

Des Moines only has us in the 25+ category..[/center]
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I really wanted to stay out of this but I'll jump in and then back out.

We have more buildings period. Our Downtown area is also more extensive and covers a larger area.
DTO
bradical
Home Owners Association

Post by bradical »

DTO Luv wrote:I really wanted to stay out of this but I'll jump in and then back out.

We have more buildings period. Our Downtown area is also more extensive and covers a larger area.
It is all a matter of perspective.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

And we've had the "height and/or density is only relevant if the pedestrian scale is considered" argument a thousand times - and I would argue considered it is the most important part of the calculation.

Very few cities in Europe can make the same claims as Omaha and Des Moines when it comes to tall buildings, but almost every city in (western) Europe has us all smoked on pedestrian scale.

It's not all about the postcard.

-Big E
Stable genius.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

...and not to throw gas on the fire, but Des Moines' skyline is simply not as dense; Omaha has double the buildings and the average height is not much off between the 2.  Driving by, there is not the infill with Des Moines like there is in Omaha.  I think that DSM has some attractively designed buildings, and the town itself is not bad.  But you have to realize that this is a forum about OMAHA and people here will be defensive about inflammatory comments...especially when you say "their downtown has us licked," when in fact, it does not.
Go Cubs Go
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

thenewguy wrote:...and not to throw gas on the fire, but Des Moines' skyline is simply not as dense; Omaha has double the buildings and the average height is not much off between the 2.  Driving by, there is not the infill with Des Moines like there is in Omaha.  I think that DSM has some attractively designed buildings, and the town itself is not bad.  But you have to realize that this is a forum about OMAHA and people here will be defensive about inflammatory comments...especially when you say "their downtown has us licked," when in fact, it does not.
Exactly thnewguy..

Thank you..

Now lets move past this Omaha/Des Moines discourse and stay on the actual thread topic..

It is appreciated..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Swift wrote:What was the previous estimated CSA?
In 2006 it was 857,000..

2007: 866,000..

(Rounded up)..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Last edited by Omaha Cowboy on Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Cowboys!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Nice!

I've been telling all the Frenchies that ask me 850,000 just as a nice round number, but I'll have to round it up to 870,000 now ;) .

Which by the way, the French are always astonished at.  That would be a MAJOR city in France, probably the 6th, behind Nice and in front of Nantes.

It's interesting trying to explain to them that Omaha is a "mid-sized" city in the U.S.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963