A couple Omaha population questions

Omaha area Housing and Market statistics

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

huskerJay
New to the Neighborhood

A couple Omaha population questions

Post by huskerJay »

Me and a buddy have been arguing about this. The number of 830,000 was one that I heard. What areas does that consist of? There is another number in the 400,000 range, what does that consist of? Is one without Ralston, bellevue, papillion, Millard, Elkhorn, Gretna and the other one with? Is Council Bluffs factored in? Help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

830,000 is the media market or MSA or whatever terminology the geeks fight over.  (I kid 'cuz I love.)

400,000 is the population within the Omaha city limits (which I think is actually somewhere in the mid-upper 300s.)

Someone else will clear this up with more info than you ever possibly wanted.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

The 870,000 one is the Metro area population, so it includes Council Bluffs, Bellevue, the suburbs, and several surrounding counties.

he 400,000 number is the number of residents living in the city proper.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

830,000 is for the MSA which includes Douglas, Sarpy, Cass, Washington, and Saunders County in Nebraska and Pottawatamie, Mills, and Harrison Counties in Iowa. The CSA is the same counties plus Dodge County which brings it up to 870,000

The City of Omaha's population is somewhere around 420,000-430,000 which inclues the annexed Elkhorn.
DTO
huskerJay
New to the Neighborhood

Post by huskerJay »

Interesting, and thanks for the quick replies. I remember USA Today just last summer came out with a census and we were the 44th largest city I believe. What did that census include? Was Elkhorn factored into that one, Millard etc. I guess I am just not clear on what is considered living in the "city" of Omaha and what is not.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

We are the 44th largest city as far as biggest municipalities but we are 60th as far as overall people. Millard is not a separate part of the city. It was at one time but was annexed over 30 years ago. Now it's just a neighborhood but I couldn't tell you what it's "boundaries" are. Unless you're in Sarpy County or are Bennington or Ralston, that's the city of Omaha.
DTO
huskerJay
New to the Neighborhood

Post by huskerJay »

Thank you my kind sir.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

huskerJay wrote:Interesting, and thanks for the quick replies. I remember USA Today just last summer came out with a census and we were the 44th largest city I believe. What did that census include? Was Elkhorn factored into that one, Millard etc. I guess I am just not clear on what is considered living in the "city" of Omaha and what is not.
Go to the city council's website.  They have a map there that shows the geography of the "city" of Omaha to the street (complete with the seven districts).  That is what is technically the City of Omaha.

-Big E
Stable genius.