2007 population estimates

Omaha area Housing and Market statistics

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Candleshoe
Human Relations

2007 population estimates

Post by Candleshoe »

City population estimates for 2007 are out now.

Nebraska's top 15
2007 estimate compared to 2000 official census

Omaha city 424,482 390,007
Lincoln city  248,744  225,581
Bellevue city 48,391           44,382
Grand Island city 44,802 42,940
Kearney city 30,129 27,431
Fremont city 25,353         25,174
Hastings city 25,343  24,064
North Platte city 24,079 23,878
Norfolk city 23,146           23,516
Papillion city 22,222   16,363
Columbus city 21,399       20,971
La Vista city 16,411          11,699
Scottsbluff city 14,692 14,732
Beatrice city 12,873         12,496
South Sioux City city 12,001 11,925
Lexington city 10,155 10,011

Note that cities now include resident college students who are not listed as dependents by their parents. They previously were counted in their hometown numbers.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Top 20 for Iowa:

2007         2000
Des Moines              196,998    198,682
Cedar Rapids           126,396    120,758
Davenport                 98,975      98,359
Sioux City                  82,684      85,013
Iowa City                  67,062      62,220
Waterloo                  66,387      68,747
Council Bluffs            59,921      58,268
Dubuque                  57,313      57,686
Ames                       54,745      50,731
West Des Moines      54,726      46,403
Ankeny                      40,582      27,117
Urbandale                38,104      29,072
Cedar Falls                37,583      36,145
Bettendorf                 32,445      31,275
Marion                      32,172      26,294
Mason City                27,505      29,172
Clinton                      26,616      27,772
Marshalltown             25,815      26,009
Burlington                  25,382      26,839
Fort Dodge                 25,230      25,136
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

What is behind the population loss in some of the Iowa cities?  Where are the majority of people going, different Iowa cities or out of state?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

All you have to do is look at the growth in Des Moines' bedroom communities to see that the bulk of them are moving to the DSM metro.  It's like Omaha on a larger scale... it's not as if these states are seeing a significant influx of immigration... it's the rural shift.

It probably won't be in my lifetime, but eventually Des Moines will likely surpass Omaha in population... driven by it's larger state population alone.
Last edited by Stargazer on Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Council Bluffs pay for a special census last year and the population was a little over 62,000??
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Yes, the special census put CB over 60,000, but obviously the people who do estimates and who do the counting are in different departments! :;):
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Top % gainers in Iowa (over 10% growth, over 5,000 population)

Waukee 134.7% (Des Moines metro)
North Liberty104.6% (Cedar Rapids-Iowa City metro)
Johnston 76.4% (Des Moines metro)
Pleasant Hill    55.3% (Des Moines metro)
Grimes 53.4% (Des Moines metro)
Ankeny 49.7% (Des Moines metro)
Altoona 33.9% (Des Moines metro)
Urbandale 31.1% (Des Moines metro)
Norwalk 23.5% (Des Moines metro)
Marion 22.4% (Cedar Rapids-Iowa City metro)
Coralville 20.7% (Cedar Rapids-Iowa City metro)
West Des Moines 17.9% (Des Moines metro)
Perry 16.4% (Cedar Rapids-Iowa City metro)
Clive 12.9% (Des Moines metro)
Sioux Center 12.3%
Indianola 10.8% (Des Moines metro)
Evansdale 10.5% (Cedar Rapids-Iowa City metro)

Not too surprising that all the top growth larger cities are suburbs of the two largest cities.  Only surprise is Sioux Center, which sits about halfway between Sioux City and Sioux Falls, so there might be a little influx from each, but I can't imagine there would be much.

--William Jennings Bryan
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I was a little surprised to see such a big LOSS from Sioux City.  I thought this was a city on the rise.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Wow, Omaha still has a LOOOOOOONG way to go before it moves past being a glorified suburb..  I can't blame people for laughing at us for being proud of this growth..
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Biggest % losers in Iowa (over 5000 pop., more than 4% loss):

Clear Lake -4.0%
Harlan -4.1%
Clinton -4.2%
Webster City  -4.8%
Knoxville     -5.3%
Burlington -5.4%
Estherville -5.5%
Mason City -5.7%
Atlantic -6.5%
Algona -6.6%
Centerville -6.9%
Red Oak -7.1%
Keokuk -8.2%
Oelwein -8.4%
Shenandoah  -8.9%

What's really disturbing is that most of these towns are county seats (exceptions - Clear Lake, in same county as Mason City, also on above list; Keokuk, county seat is Ft. Madison, which has lost over 6% if you use the estimate bsae, rather than 2000 census; Oelwin, county seat is West Union, which lost 6%; Shenandoah, county seat is Clarinda, which lost 3%), and with the exception of Knoxville, not particularly close to Des Moines.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Stargazer wrote:I was a little surprised to see such a big LOSS from Sioux City.  I thought this was a city on the rise.
The Sioux City metro held about steady, just a redistribution of population within the area.

--William Jennings Bryan
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Stargazer wrote:All you have to do is look at the growth in Des Moines' bedroom communities to see that the bulk of them are moving to the DSM metro.  It's like Omaha on a larger scale... it's not as if these states are seeing a significant influx of immigration... it's the rural shift.

It probably won't be in my lifetime, but eventually Des Moines will likely surpass Omaha in population... driven by it's larger state population alone.

The prophet speaks.. LOL.. Des Moines is really growing right now!! We're talking at a sunbelt rate..
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

From Kansas City:

New Census figures show Omaha is catching KC
Kansas City Star wrote:Watch out, KC. Little brother Omaha is catching up -- fast -- as the new 2007 Census Bureau population estimates show. Omaha has gained 32,000 people this decade, but KC just 8,500. The result: Omaha now is the 42nd largest city in the nation with 424,500 people. That's still behind KC, which is 39th with 450,400 residents. But Omaha's growth rate is startling, coming in at 8.5 percent vs. 2 percent for KC. The figures show why Omaha has joined Oklahoma City as another Midwestern regional powerhouse to compete with KC for conventions, concerts and athletic contests.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

A nice little story from the KC Star, but really....much of Omaha's growth is due to annexation, not people moving to Omaha.  In KCMO's case, much of the growth in that metro is on the Kansas side, particularly south, into southern Johnson Co.

Omaha and KC and DSM will always have a healthy sibling rivalry.  Each of the 3 cities keeps the others on their toes.  Omaha is better for having KC nearby, and apparently, KC is also better for having Omaha nearby.  I doubt they would have their new arena, Power and Light district, or new Broadway theatre complex if their city fathers/mothers didn't feel some pressure from Omaha.
thenewguy
County Board

Re: ..

Post by thenewguy »

Erik wrote:Wow, Omaha still has a LOOOOOOONG way to go before it moves past being a glorified suburb..  I can't blame people for laughing at us for being proud of this growth..
I don't get the negativity man... typically i don't have issues with anything you say.  In fact, you generally make some good points, but I've got to call you out on that one :)  For Omaha to show a nice increase in size for the actual city itself and to see suburbs of Omaha (Papillion, Bellevue, Council Bluffs) showing decent increases as well certainly doesn't make me think that we're inexplicably happy about our growth.  No, they aren't 'sunbelt' type numbers, but then again, neither are Des Moines'...not to take anything away from them, either.  

To play the devil's advocate, if Omaha's 8.5% growth (annex or not) is almost near sunbelt type numbers, then in that case Des Moines would be, too.

I think it was stargazer that first said something like it, and I'm going to ask, too: when did you get so down on Omaha?
Go Cubs Go
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

thenewguy wrote: I don't get the negativity man... on Omaha?
Some posts are just not worth a response newguy..Just shrug, roll your eyes and move on..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
thenewguy wrote: I don't get the negativity man... on Omaha?
Some posts are just not worth a response newguy..Just shrug, roll your eyes and move on..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace

It's that after years of thinking I lived in the best city I could live in, that the years of people telling me about how Omaha couldn't live in the shadow of certain other city's that it finally had reached a point where, I began to question the reason why I believed that this is the best place..  And now, after questioning myself on that, I have come to realize that Omaha is just another would be suburb of a true, great city...
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Erik wrote:And now, after questioning myself on that, I have come to realize that Omaha is just another would be suburb of a true, great city...
What city would Omaha be a suburb of...???  Council Bluffs?  Elkhorn?

Considering Omaha's size and location (and chronic pain in the |expletive| conservative mindset) it has accomplished some pretty amazing things recently.  If you can look past the self-destructive behavior from the 50s to the 90s, it has a pretty amazing history.

-Big E

(note: I said "conservative", not "Conservative" or "Republican", so don't start that BS)
Stable genius.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Big E wrote:What city would Omaha be a suburb of...???  Council Bluffs?
Uh, wasn't that the way it was in the mid 1800s?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Omababe wrote:Uh, wasn't that the way it was in the mid 1800s?
LOL...  you got me.  Bang up job on development on the Iowa side since then.
Stable genius.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Omababe wrote:
Big E wrote:What city would Omaha be a suburb of...???  Council Bluffs?
Uh, wasn't that the way it was in the mid 1800s?
Actually, I think the first 15 years of the cities history it was smaller than Council Bluffs.
Rob
Home Owners Association

Post by Rob »

I had the opportunity to fly from DC to Des Moines over the 4th of July holiday to visit my partner who had to relocate there temporarily for the Obama campaign...I had certainly been to Des Moines before, but was really impressed again about how much it has grown...and how clean it was.

We visited Jordan Creek Towne Center in West Des Moines....it certainly blows away any shopping center in Omaha....very unique and beautiful.  I'm continually impressed with the skyline of the city.  I stayed across from the Wells Fargo Center and walked around downtown quite a bit.

Overall though, being a native Omahan...its nice to see a city within a few hours drive of Omaha and in the midwest doing so well.  It speaks volumes about the resiliency of the area and the economy....and I think both cities only compliment each other well.
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Was just thinking..

In the 2020 census, which is just 12 years away:

Omaha should have 520,000
Lincoln should have 310,000
Bellevue should have 70,000
Council Bluffs should have 65,000
Papillion should have 40,000
La Vista should have 25,000
Gretna should have 20,000

These are conservative numbers..
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Rob wrote:I had the opportunity to fly from DC to Des Moines over the 4th of July holiday to visit my partner who had to relocate there temporarily for the Obama campaign...I had certainly been to Des Moines before, but was really impressed again about how much it has grown...and how clean it was.

We visited Jordan Creek Towne Center in West Des Moines....it certainly blows away any shopping center in Omaha....very unique and beautiful.  I'm continually impressed with the skyline of the city.  I stayed across from the Wells Fargo Center and walked around downtown quite a bit.

Overall though, being a native Omahan...its nice to see a city within a few hours drive of Omaha and in the midwest doing so well.  It speaks volumes about the resiliency of the area and the economy....and I think both cities only compliment each other well.

I've never been to Jordan Creek, is it really that much better than Village Pointe?
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

S33 wrote:I've never been to Jordan Creek, is it really that much better than Village Pointe?
My vote is yes

--William Jennings Bryan
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

I've never seen Jordan Creek..

I think Village Pointe is nice, but the shopping mall in Papillion is better than village pointe..
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Erik wrote:I've never seen Jordan Creek..

I think Village Pointe is nice, but the shopping mall in Papillion is better than village pointe..
Yeah, Jordan Creek really is that much nicer...It's not like Village Point, in that it's set up like a traditional mall (interior corridors taking you past store fronts) but it's got the mall itself and a costco, on the border, joe's crab shack, etc, all around it.  It feels huge, because it has high ceilings, lots of skylights, movie theatre, decent food court, etc.  It has nice fixtures, nice carpets, and so on.  That is something that i have to admit, Des Moines has an edge over us on.

Those are some of the pics i found from googling jordan creek des moines.  If you do the same, you can see better pics and check it out.  The ones i copied don't really do it justice.
Go Cubs Go
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

S33 wrote:
Rob wrote:I had the opportunity to fly from DC to Des Moines over the 4th of July holiday to visit my partner who had to relocate there temporarily for the Obama campaign...I had certainly been to Des Moines before, but was really impressed again about how much it has grown...and how clean it was.

I've never been to Jordan Creek, is it really that much better than Village Pointe?
You really can't compare the two.  Jordan Creek is more comparable to Oak View that Village Point.  Design wise it is the same style, but major indoor mall beats the small lifestyle center any day of the week.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I guess Des Moines can win on the suburban front. That's fine with me. I passed through there this weekend. Didn't stop since I wasn't the driver.
DTO