Scottsbluff into top 10 of Nebraska's largest towns?

Omaha area Housing and Market statistics

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Stargazer
County Board

Scottsbluff into top 10 of Nebraska's largest towns?

Post by Stargazer »

Gering Courier wrote:Scottsbluff, Neb. - A merger of the cities of Gering, Scottsbluff and Terrytown is an idea the three mayors would like to learn more about.

Gering Mayor Susan Wiedeman, Scottsbluff Mayor Randy Meininger and Terrytown Mayor Kent Greenwalt were speaking today at the annual State of the Valley Forum, sponsored by the Scottsbluff/Gering United Chamber of Commerce.

"We’d like to get more public input of the possibility," Gering's Wiedeman said. "Tight budgets are here to stay, so we need to at least consider ways of becoming more efficient."

Wiedeman said the three cities are already sharing a number of services, such as sanitation, pathways and other recreational venues.

The Legislature passed LB 1056 in March which would allow the cities to merge by a vote of the citizens of each municipality.
I place the combined population at about 23,000 (using 2000 numbers).
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

As ape |expletive| bonkers as people in these little towns get when there is talk about consolidating their school systems, my money is on the snowball in heck.
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

There's all of 3 miles between the centers of these two towns (with little Terrytown directly in between them)... it's not like a rural school consolidation where the farmer is going to have to drive his kid another 20 miles.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Stargazer wrote:There's all of 3 miles between the centers of these two towns (with little Terrytown directly in between them)... it's not like a rural school consolidation where the farmer is going to have to drive his kid another 20 miles.
Hey, I agree with you.  Problem is, we can point out how much economic sense it makes until we're blue in the face, and people out there are still going to lose their minds.
Stable genius.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Big E wrote:
Stargazer wrote:There's all of 3 miles between the centers of these two towns (with little Terrytown directly in between them)... it's not like a rural school consolidation where the farmer is going to have to drive his kid another 20 miles.
Hey, I agree with you.  Problem is, we can point out how much economic sense it makes until we're blue in the face, and people out there are still going to lose their minds.

You're not kidding, the quickest way to prove what Big E is saying is to go to wowt.com and journalstar.com and read peoples responses everytime somebody with a little influence moves an inch..
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

But if they consolidate then Omaha can't annex them.   :yes:  :lol:
SurfOmaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by SurfOmaha »

I hope they do vote to be one city.  They'll be harder to ignore with a population 23,000.  I think might help them save money and got more projects to help Western Nebraska grow!!!
http://www.surfomaha.com
GAY RIGHTS!!!  ITS TIME TO GET ROWDY!!! http://omahagayvillage.ning.com
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Couldn't they also apply for more government money if they had 23,000 people? The one problem I see though is, what would they call it?
Erik
Parks & Recreation

well...

Post by Erik »

Axel wrote:Couldn't they also apply for more government money if they had 23,000 people? The one problem I see though is, what would they call it?

Most of the time they combine the two names:  cityName-cityName, if it is not a true annexation but rather a mutual understanding and combining of the two city governments..

So chances are they will call it Scottsbluff-Gering, there are several examples of this..