Saunders and Cass qualify as MSA counties for Lincoln..

Omaha area Housing and Market statistics

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Erik
Parks & Recreation

Saunders and Cass qualify as MSA counties for Lincoln..

Post by Erik »

So after researching http://sites.nppd.com/   I found that both Saunders and Cass county qualify as a Lincoln MSA county..

Since the mentioned counties qualify to be a part of either the Omaha or Lincoln MSA, it makes sense to give Saunders county to Omaha since the west end of Omaha is only miles from the east central side, and give Cass to Lincoln since Lincoln is just 7-8 miles to the west of it and growing towards it..

Seems only fair to do it that way, why should Lincoln get shut out completely out of these qualifying counties?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Re: Saunders and Cass qualify as MSA counties for Lincoln..

Post by almighty_tuna »

Erik wrote:Lincoln is just 7-8 miles to the west of it and growing towards it [cass county].
Not likely.  Despite a spurt of growth in NE Lincoln along 84th Street, don't count on it going much further than several blocks east.  The crest of the Salt Creek watershed is just east of 84th and the Stevens Creek watershed takes over from points eastward.  Without building a massive, and I mean MASSIVE system to pump sewage from Stevens Creek over to Salt Creek watershed, or an entirely new sewer district, treatment plant, etc there will be very limited eastward expansion as there has been over the last 30yrs.  

While the east bypass will eventually be constructed around 120th St and spur development in that area, I don't believe that it will facilitate the type of growth that will necessitate hundreds of millions in new wastewater treatment infrastructure.  It is much more likely to see continued southern growth and growth in the extreme NNE section of the city where the topography lends much more to a gravity based system.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Re: Saunders and Cass qualify as MSA counties for Lincoln..

Post by Erik »

almighty_tuna wrote:
Erik wrote:Lincoln is just 7-8 miles to the west of it and growing towards it [cass county].
Not likely.  Despite a spurt of growth in NE Lincoln along 84th Street, don't count on it going much further than several blocks east.  The crest of the Salt Creek watershed is just east of 84th and the Stevens Creek watershed takes over from points eastward.  Without building a massive, and I mean MASSIVE system to pump sewage from Stevens Creek over to Salt Creek watershed, or an entirely new sewer district, treatment plant, etc there will be very limited eastward expansion as there has been over the last 30yrs.  

While the east bypass will eventually be constructed around 120th St and spur development in that area, I don't believe that it will facilitate the type of growth that will necessitate hundreds of millions in new wastewater treatment infrastructure.  It is much more likely to see continued southern growth and growth in the extreme NNE section of the city where the topography lends much more to a gravity based system.

hmmm.... I had no idea that lincoln is caved in on the east side...

I still think that Lincoln should be credited with Cass County and Omaha with Saunders, since both counties qualify as an MSA county of both metropolitan areas  :D
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Cass County is already a part of Omaha's MSA so ceding it makes no sense. Even if there is another county between Omaha and Cass a bulk of that counties population is closer to the Omaha area than Lincoln.
DTO
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

DTO Luv wrote:Cass County is already a part of Omaha's MSA so ceding it makes no sense. Even if there is another county between Omaha and Cass a bulk of that counties population is closer to the Omaha area than Lincoln.

closer to papillion and offutt, but a large part of Cass is closer to the city of Lincoln and that is why you are seeing the over 25% of the counties population commute to Lincoln for work as it also does for Omaha, which Omaha has the almost exclusive benefit of Plattsmouth.. However, much of central and western Cass County is closer to Lincoln than most of the good paying Omaha jobs..
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

No WAY should Cass county go to Lincoln.  As has already been said, it's already part of the Omaha MSA, with Plattsmouth, the county seat just south of Omaha on US 75, about 20-25 minutes from Downtown Omaha.

Anyway, the MSA status is based on the number of people who regularly commute into the central hub city for jobs, shopping, dining, entertainment, etc., NOT on proximity.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:No WAY should Cass county go to Lincoln.  As has already been said, it's already part of the Omaha MSA, with Plattsmouth, the county seat just south of Omaha on US 75, about 20-25 minutes from Downtown Omaha.

Anyway, the MSA status is based on the number of people who regularly commute into the central hub city for jobs, shopping, dining, entertainment, etc., NOT on proximity.

That's right baby-cakes!

It's based off of the 25% commuter percentage calculated off of the 2007 numbers from the site listed above, and Cass as well as Saunders County does 'qualify' to be Lincoln MSA counties..

I'm saying that they 'qualify' and my opinion is that we should let Cass county count towards the Lincon MSA total because most of the county is influenced by the Lincoln MSA..  <--- That is my opinion based off of facts that I read, and I understand that my opinion is not always right  :;):
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

both Saunders and Cass county qualify as a Lincoln MSA county
What does this mean anyway ?
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Stargazer wrote:
both Saunders and Cass county qualify as a Lincoln MSA county
What does this mean anyway ?

It means that Cass and Saunders county both have a 25% commuter percentage to the Lincoln MSA which is a qualifying factor by census.gov...

Both counties first reached the 25% commuter percentage to the Omaha MSA first (obviously), but apparently in 2007 they both have a 25% commuter percentage to Lincoln (source above)..

If you have any more questions, I'd research census.gov for more information on what qualifies a county to count towards an MSA...
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Omaha and Lincoln should just hook up and get it over with.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:Omaha and Lincoln should just hook up and get it over with.
They want too. They even sent a group to DC to try to make it happen... Its the Feds that say no.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I know that but I'm sure their is more they could do locally/state level.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

What is the percentage of commuters to from Saunders and Cass counties to Omaha, then.  Since they "qualify" for Lincoln as well, they should go to the higher percentage metro.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:What is the percentage of commuters to from Saunders and Cass counties to Omaha, then.  Since they "qualify" for Lincoln as well, they should go to the higher percentage metro.
They are higher for both counties to Omaha, Saunders county commuters % is very high for Omaha in comparison to Lincoln, but Cass is close to even between Omaha and Lincoln, with Omaha having the (little bit) upper % of commuters...
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Can you post these exact figures on here or put a direct to them? I'm having trouble finding them on the web-site you posted.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

(yeah, where are these numbers?)

If anything... I would have expected that Saunders would have more people commuting to Lincoln... than Cass.

Consider the main beltways through Cass are 75 and 50 running north-south into Sarpy County.  How many people are even living in Cass county west of Highway 50?  I assume the vast majority are in Plattsmouth and Louisville.  While most of Saunders County are presumably coming from Wahoo/Ceresco down Highway 77 to Lincoln.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

absolutely!  However, I have a long day at work and some school studying to do, but I'll put up the numbers for y'all!  :;):
Erik
Parks & Recreation

alright..

Post by Erik »

Guys, I found a very official place for information where I had done my calculations..

With that said, my data is now using very official information by the state of Nebraska and so this is much more reliable (Links included)

So please don't be hard on me, because I was wrong on my calculations they are CSA qualifying counties, but I went to a lot of work to get this information into a more centralized and readable format that will require little or no research on your part...

Here it goes:

http://www.dol.state.ne.us/nwd/center.c ... PCAT=4C5RA
http://www.neded.org/files/research/stathand/csect5.htm

http://www.dol.state.ne.us/nwd/workserv ... Review.pdf
Cass: 2312 -- 14253 -- 16.22% (CSA qualifier)
Saunders: 2471 -- 11,197 22.07% (CSA qualifier, near MSA qualifier)
Otoe: 1771 -- 8,950 -- 19.79 (CSA qualifier, approaching MSA qualifier)
Gage: 1935 -- 12,650 -- 15.3% (Beatrice NOW qualifies as a Lincoln CSA micropolitan area)
Saline:1609 -- 8,401 -- 19.15% (CSA qualifier, approaching MSA qualifier)
Butler: 727 -- 4,756 -- 15.5% (CSA qualifier)
Johnson: 515 -- 3,172 -- 16.24% (CSA qualifier)

IN:
Dodge 4573 -- 19,897 -- 23% (Still CSA qualify, just about MSA now)
Lancaster 8426 -- 158,809 5.3% (ummmm..... Lincoln is too big of a self-sustaining market)
Otoe 914 -- 8,950 -- 10.2%

Interesting to note:
When Omaha and Lincoln combines:

Otoe 914+1771 = 2685 -- 8,950 30% (Otoe would be more than qualified as an Omaha/lincoln MSA county)
Dodge 4573 + (Lincoln numbers N/A) = 23% + Lincoln should be above 2% of Fremont market making it qualify as an Omaha/Lincoln MSA county

Conclusion:

upon finding this official research data, I have concluded that my previous figures were in fact, incorrect...  We may now have more official data
with official statistics to rely on:

Omaha MSA counties that commute to the Lincoln MSA:

While I was incorrect with unnoficial data, I have found the numbers are still increasing for the % of commuters to the Lincoln MSA, especially
from Saunders county

Lincoln MSA/Beatrice Micro CSA area:
Gage: 1935 -- 12,650 -- 15.3% (Beatrice NOW qualifies as a Lincoln CSA micropolitan area)
Staggering is the word when noticing the jump from the 2003 numbers: just over 12%

Counties that qualify as CSA with Lincoln and approaching MSA:
I was dissapointed in seeing the Saline county numbers, however both are increasing..

Counties that qualify as CSA with Lincoln, but will not be counted as CSA due to non-micropolitan area status, or is already a part
of the Omaha MSA consortium, only Gage will be added as a CSA with present data:
Johnson: 515 -- 3,172 -- 16.24% (CSA qualifier)
Butler: 727 -- 4,756 -- 15.5% (CSA qualifier)

New Omaha MSA/CSA statistics:
Dodge 4573 -- 19,897 -- 23% (Still CSA qualify, just about MSA now)
Soon Omaha/Council Bluffs - Fremont CSA will be an MSA instead..
Otoe 914 -- 8,950 -- 10.2% - insignificant unless you add Lincoln to the equation

WHEN - when Omaha and Lincoln combines:
Otoe 914+1771 = 2685 -- 8,950 30% (Otoe would be more than qualified as an Omaha/lincoln MSA county)
Dodge 4573 + (Lincoln numbers N/A) = 23% + Lincoln should be above 2% of Fremont market making it qualify as an Omaha/Lincoln MSA
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Even thought it's not an official metro, eastern NE and western IA do function as one area centered around Omaha.
DTO