Forbes: Best Places for Business and Careers

Omaha area Housing and Market statistics

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Stargazer
County Board

Forbes: Best Places for Business and Careers

Post by Stargazer »

#7... behind #1 Des Moines (congratulations to them) and #5 Lincoln?!  :)

http://www.forbes.com/2010/04/13/best-p ... ander.html
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Sioux Falls #1 Best Smaller Metros
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

Uffda wrote:Sioux Falls #1 Best Smaller Metros
#2:  Iowa City

The cities of the heartland placed very well this year.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Yeah, Forbes and CNN Money Magazine always seem to rank our region's cities very highly. Makes me wonder, if it's that great here, why is the inward migration so modest?
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

S33 wrote:Yeah, Forbes and CNN Money Magazine always seem to rank our region's cities very highly. Makes me wonder, if it's that great here, why is the inward migration so modest?
Honestly, the cities in the area that 'do not' do very well in these catagories see a net outward migration.  Places like Albuquerque, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Orlando boom because of the reputation of a warmer winter, or close to a mountain/ocean.  

Business Climates are surprisingly less appreciated than hot climates, near an ocean or mountain.  The fact that we are growing faster than the US average is for this reason, and if our business climate softens.. Our migration numbers will sour quickly..
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Whoa! Congratulations Des Moines, and congratulations Nebraska! Our two largest metros are in the top ten. That's crazy!

Perhaps the fact that we don't see the huge in-migration figures that some other metro areas do is precisely one of the reasons we're considered a great place for business and careers!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Whoa! Congratulations Des Moines, and congratulations Nebraska! Our two largest metros are in the top ten. That's crazy!

Perhaps the fact that we don't see the huge in-migration figures that some other metro areas do is precisely one of the reasons we're considered a great place for business and careers!
Trust me, I'd rather have it this way!  

I cannot see any reason for good growth, except on the basis of economy and work.  This is why you see northern cities grow in spurts, but for the most part it is good growth.  In the south, you can have a metro grow from 100,000 to 600,000 people in 30 years only to have real-estate and tourism as the business climate.  

There are exceptions, so please don't hold me to a complete paint-brush blanket label here!