Church Records

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Chappym

Church Records

Post by Chappym »

I was wondering if anyone knew about what happens to church records when the church closes down?

My grandmother was married here in Omaha @ Bethany Presbyterian Church in May of 1938, I can no longer find this church as being around. I was wondering if anyone had any information?? I know I could probably get a copy of the license from the state, but I was wondering if someone could tell me a little about the church.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Oh great.  Now, i am waiting for a flood of people saying "good.  churches sux."
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Try contacting: The Presbyterian Center. 302 South 74th Street. Omaha, NE 68114. (402) 553-8300 1-800-603-8980
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I'd think a local historical society would have some info or at least point you in the right direction.

http://www.omahahistory.org/
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

joeglow wrote:Oh great.  Now, i am waiting for a flood of people saying "good.  churches sux."
Those posts will be deleted in this thread.
icejammer
County Board

Re: Church Records

Post by icejammer »

Chappym wrote:I was wondering if anyone knew about what happens to church records when the church closes down?

My grandmother was married here in Omaha @ Bethany Presbyterian Church in May of 1938, I can no longer find this church as being around. I was wondering if anyone had any information?? I know I could probably get a copy of the license from the state, but I was wondering if someone could tell me a little about the church.
There's a Bethany Presbyterian Church in Council Bluffs, right across the river; I've never heard of one of the same name being in Omaha.  Any chance this was the church?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
DeWalt
Human Relations

Re: Church Records

Post by DeWalt »

Chappym wrote:I was wondering if anyone knew about what happens to church records when the church closes down?

That's a really interesting question.  One I've never really thought about.

I suppose that if the "closing" church is part of a denomination, the denominational headquarters would get the stuff.

But there are also a lot of "non-denominational" churches, as well as little independent churches that just kind of spring up & run for awhile, then disappear.

So that's my long way of saying I have no idea...
Chappym

RE: Church Records

Post by Chappym »

Maybe it was the Church in Council Bluffs?? All the information I've been given had my grandmother's civil record as Nebraska, but maybe that"s why I couldn't find any records.

Thanks for all of the hints and tips guys...