Hello All! [info and advice need]

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eatsleepfolk
New to the Neighborhood

Hello All! [info and advice need]

Post by eatsleepfolk »

Hello everyone, I was looking to move to Omaha in the near future [aiming for Feb, but I may not make that]. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where the best areas are for a younger person (I'm 20) and if anyone knew of some affordable apartments they could recommend, especially of the furnished variety. All other info would be greatly appreciated, especially about good places to work and city programs (for students and whatnot). Thanks!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Welcome

I am not the one to give you suggestions for you questions but the ideas will flow.   Good luck on your move!  Where are you moving from?  Is is School or work that will bring you to Omaha?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Midtown and smaller neighbourhoods like Dundee and Benson seem to be the places to be for most Young'ns. Downtown too, if you're more of a city person - but most of them can barely be called affordable.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

1600 Farnam is probably the most "affordable" of the residential downtown, and many are available for rent.

Would concur with nick on the Midtown, Benson and Dundee areas.  Really depends on what you're looking for, as all are similar but different.  (I know that helps, right?)
eatsleepfolk
New to the Neighborhood

Post by eatsleepfolk »

nebugeater wrote:Welcome

I am not the one to give you suggestions for you questions but the ideas will flow.   Good luck on your move!  Where are you moving from?  Is is School or work that will bring you to Omaha?
I'll be moving from Austin, TX and neither really, I mean I plan on going to school wherever I end up, but I was drawn to Omaha by some of the things I read about it (namely the art/music scenes) and it seems like the weather would be a good fit for me.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I did find one place off St. Mary's Avenue and S 24th street. Does anyone have any information about this area, I wasn't able to find much info (other than a guy on another forum who referred to the parallel Jones St. as "a living heck".
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

eatsleepfolk wrote:
nebugeater wrote:Welcome

I'll be moving from Austin, TX and neither really, I mean I plan on going to school wherever I end up, but I was drawn to Omaha by some of the things I read about it (namely the art/music scenes) and it seems like the weather would be a good fit for me.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I did find one place off St. Mary's Avenue and S 24th street. Does anyone have any information about this area, I wasn't able to find much info (other than a guy on another forum who referred to the parallel Jones St. as "a living heck".
Living heck - not so much. A bit seedy? Very much so. In that area it's very hit and miss - a whole bunch of crack houses next to a convent, etc.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The weather would "be a good fit" for you?  You sound like one sick young man.   :;):