Omaha mexican community

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Anonem

Omaha mexican community

Post by Anonem »

Does anyone know if there are any good authentic street taquerias in Omaha, and anyone who has really experienced Mexico will know what I mean. Also, are there any good panaderias, and mercados that might sell stuff like jumex?

Thanks, in advance. :D
derog
Home Owners Association

Re: Omaha mexican community

Post by derog »

Anonem wrote:Does anyone know if there are any good authentic street taquerias in Omaha, and anyone who has really experienced Mexico will know what I mean. Also, are there any good panaderias, and mercados that might sell stuff like jumex?

Thanks, in advance. :D
You can actually find Jumex and other ethnic Mexican stuff at both Hyvee and Bakers on Saddle Creek. I'm sure Jacobo's (mercado) on 24th Street also might have much of what you're looking for. I haven't looked for any panaderias though. I've seen a taqueria in the Avanza http://www.avanzasupermarket.com/733.htm supermarket on Leavenworth, but haven't stopped there.

Edit: Of course, the Avanza has a lot of Mexican stuff.
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

Speaking of Avanza, there's some food truck outside of the store. Maybe they have some good stuff.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

chaoman45 wrote:Speaking of Avanza, there's some food truck outside of the store. Maybe they have some good stuff.
Its amazing I go there all the time.
DefiantlyNebraskan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by DefiantlyNebraskan »

Bryan from South Omaha here. I do not claim to know what is exactly authentic, but I do know what is good. Here are some of my favorites:
Panaderias: I think it's called Bakery Internaciol or something. It is on 24th and P. Always busy, always turning out great baked goods, always out of trays (of course!). There is another one on Woolworth and Park Avenue. I have never been in, but I'm pretty sure it is the same set up.
Taquerias: The taco truck scene is pretty good. There is a solid one on 42nd and L that I frequent. Also, the aforementioned one in the Avanza parking lot is solid. As for sit down, I like Los Compayes on 33rd and Q, so do a lot of people. La Esmeralda is practically across the street and it is open real late!!!
Mercados: Jacobo's is the standard. It really is a great place. There are quite a few other ones on South 24th, and a few on Vinton and Q. I have found that the No Frills supermarket on 36th and Q totally caters to the Latino population of Omaha. You find more stuff from Mexico than you do America almost. They have a pretty good produce section, a lot of imported goods and dry beans by the horse tank.
Get to know South 24th St, Vinton, Q Street, and Park Avenue.
If you are moving here, welcome to Omaha.
I hope this helps,
-Bryan.
Anonem

¡Gracias por toda su ayuda!

Post by Anonem »

Thank you for your quick responses. I will try these out soon.

Post by Guest »

Linkin5 wrote:
chaoman45 wrote:Speaking of Avanza, there's some food truck outside of the store. Maybe they have some good stuff.
Its amazing I go there all the time.
Yeah I used to go hit up that truck about once a week when I lived there.