Midtown Apartments

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Carp
New to the Neighborhood

Midtown Apartments

Post by Carp »

Hey all,
My husband and I are moving to Omaha in June, and we're planning to rent an apartment sight-unseen in the midtown area -- most likely something like Hillside Court. Before we commit, though, we want to make sure living in this area is relatively safe, and if you have any thoughts on that apartment building (or others like it), I'd love to hear those, too. Thanks in advance!
Carp
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Carp »

Thanks, 533. We're looking for an apartment in the $400 - $600 range in the midtown area. My husband will be working at UNMC, and we'd like to be relatively close to there.

Would you mind elaborating on the good reason? :) You can PM me, if you'd rather.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Just not a very desirable neighborhood is all. Not completely horrible, but certainly isn't paradise in Omaha.  :)  If it meets your budget and is close to your husbands work, then I'm sure it will serve its purpose.

Just make sure you hire personal security. jk
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Midtown is a wonderful, walkable, bicyclable, transit-connected area with some of Omaha's best urban neighborhoods. The area around Midtown Crossing is rapidly gentrifying, so being close but not too close would probably be most desirable for your price range. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for and will love your Midtown digs!

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions. I lived in Midtown and Park East for about 3 years before moving for grad school.

I am not familiar with the apartment complex you mentioned.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Might be worth looking at Route 2 on the bus line:

http://ometro.com/bus-system/bus-routes/dodge

Great for frequent downtown/Midtown/UNMC transportation, and could significantly open up your rental options.
Carp
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Carp »

Thank you both so much for your responses! Renting without visiting is a little overwhelming, so I'm trying to get all the info I can.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Sorry, Carp. I misinformed you. 30th Davenport is, in fact, paradise in Omaha.  :roll:
Gifford Park

Post by Gifford Park »

Hey, Carp! I live on North 31st Street directly across the street from Hillside Court on the East side. I love the midtown neighborhood, but I have not hear a single flattering thing from any friends I know, of which there are several, that have looked at those apartments. However, there are a decent handful of Creighton kids living there. My entire street with the exception of two houses are all Creighton students or college kids (I'm at UNO) like myself. There is also a frat house on the corner of 31st and Chicago, across the street from Hillside Court to the Northeast, as well as two sorority houses across the street to the South on Davenport. While they are never a consistent issue, they can have some ridiculous parties that tend to wander between the houses up and down 31st street that can last the entire night. While the neighborhood is generally a very safe area of midtown, I have never seen more police activity between the house of 1 and 4 in the morning in the Gifford Park neighborhood than at Hillside Court. I've actually personally had to call the police twice for some frightening experiences. Those also being the only two times in my life I've ever had two call 911. I do not mean to deter you from the Gifford Park neighborhood or anywhere else in midtown, as it is is a wonderful place to live and I absolutely love the area (I'm also originally from NYC), I would just recommended a different apartment complex. I'm sorry to everyone for such a lengthy reply, but I'm not a registered memeber and don't have PM. I hope this helps!
Carp
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Carp »

Thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate hearing about the specific complex and block. We're definitely not deterred from looking at places in Midtown, and it's great to hear some firsthand experiences about that neighborhood.

Does anyone know anything about living at the Columbian School apartments or the Saunders School apartments?
derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

Carp wrote:Thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate hearing about the specific complex and block. We're definitely not deterred from looking at places in Midtown, and it's great to hear some firsthand experiences about that neighborhood.

Does anyone know anything about living at the Columbian School apartments or the Saunders School apartments?
Sorry I can't help you with those places, but I have a couple suggestions:

1) Live south of Dodge. For the reasons stated above in this thread (some are college areas, etc), along with some other reasons, I'd recommend finding a place south of Dodge around the Midtown Crossing development.

2) A friend of mine lived at St. Regis and loved it. I visited him a few times and he had a great place. Big living room, great place for what you're looking for I think. Check it out: http://www.dudarealty.com/properties.cfm?part=st_regis   It also looks like they have a few places coming available in May and June, right at/above your price range. It's walkable to NMC and Midtown Crossing (which is a little further). Just a suggestion.