Need Help! (Downtown Apartment Suggestions)

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Ap123

Need Help! (Downtown Apartment Suggestions)

Post by Ap123 »

Hi,

I *might* relocate to Omaha...How is the place like...I am from Chicago NW suburbs and there is a ton to do here...how is it gonna be there like? Also, can someone tell me the rent rates for decent apartments in downtown Omaha...I wanna live if at all in the downtown area and don't want to go into the suburbs since my husband takes the car to commute to work which is in downtown. I am looking for a decent 1 or 2 bedroom apts with good facilities like gym etc...Can someone suggest something n also the rent rates please?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I've lived Downtown for almost  years now and I wouldn't live anywhere else in the city. I don't think you can go wrong living Downtown. It's much easier to go out and do something than it is living in other parts of the city. As far as apartments it may help to narrow places down if you have some sort of budget. The price can vary downtown so giving you a list of places outside of your budget isn't helpful.
DTO
Ap123

Post by Ap123 »

DTO Luv wrote:I've lived Downtown for almost  years now and I wouldn't live anywhere else in the city. I don't think you can go wrong living Downtown. It's much easier to go out and do something than it is living in other parts of the city. As far as apartments it may help to narrow places down if you have some sort of budget. The price can vary downtown so giving you a list of places outside of your budget isn't helpful.

Thanks! My rent rates are something b/w $900 - $1200 :) I live in a 1 bedroom apt now n pay $950 in chicago suburbs :) Let me know if u have any info, pl?
SabrinaFaire
Home Owners Association

Post by SabrinaFaire »

Hello! I'm from the northern suburbs of Chicago. I don't live downtown but you could definitely live pretty comfortably paying what you pay now in the NW burbs. As for driving/commuting, it's nothing like it is in Chicago. You can get anywhere reasonably fast even during rush hour. I live SW wouldn't rule out a job downtown or even in Council Bluffs.
Ap123

Post by Ap123 »

SabrinaFaire wrote:Hello! I'm from the northern suburbs of Chicago. I don't live downtown but you could definitely live pretty comfortably paying what you pay now in the NW burbs. As for driving/commuting, it's nothing like it is in Chicago. You can get anywhere reasonably fast even during rush hour. I live SW wouldn't rule out a job downtown or even in Council Bluffs.
Hi, nice to meet another person from Chi :) Is there public transport? Here we have only cabs in the burbs or else our own car. Are there stores nearby, shopping malls etc? I would prefer downtown coz I always thought the chicago burbs are far more devloped that the Omaha ones? wat do u think? I am a stay at home wife, I don't work so I have plenty to keep me occupied here :)
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

Whatever you do, don't get an apartment around the 108th and Maple area. Even though West O is considered "the good part" by pretty much everybody who lives there, I've heard that area is like the ghetto away from the ghetto.
Ap123

Post by Ap123 »

chaoman45 wrote:Whatever you do, don't get an apartment around the 108th and Maple area. Even though West O is considered "the good part" by pretty much everybody who lives there, I've heard that area is like the ghetto away from the ghetto.
Thanks! I have no idea where is west omaha? is it a part of downtown...i'll keep this in mind. what other areas do u suggest?
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

I lived at Whispering Hills located at 108th and Maple. Nice apartments and I would recommend them to others. There are other apartments in the area that are not as fantastic, but Whispering Hills.

I would also recommend Midtown Crossing's (http://www.midtowncrossing.com) apartments or Aksarben Village's (I don't have the URLs handy).
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

Ap123 wrote:
chaoman45 wrote:Whatever you do, don't get an apartment around the 108th and Maple area. Even though West O is considered "the good part" by pretty much everybody who lives there, I've heard that area is like the ghetto away from the ghetto.
Thanks! I have no idea where is west omaha? is it a part of downtown...i'll keep this in mind. what other areas do u suggest?
I lived at Whispering Hills located at 108th and Maple. Nice apartments and I would recommend them to others. There are other apartments in the area that are not as fantastic, but Whispering Hills.

I really wouldn't worry about the North/South/East/West... there are really only a few pockets that might make you blush (33rd and Lake, for instance).

I would pick a location that offers the amenities you want in the area. Since you're coming from the Chicago 'burbs and likely spending lots of time on the road, you might really enjoy having everything you need within walking distance or a short drive; in those cases both Aksarben Village and Midtown Crossing fit the bill.
Ap123

Post by Ap123 »

riceweb wrote:
Ap123 wrote:

I really wouldn't worry about the North/South/East/West... there are really only a few pockets that might make you blush (33rd and Lake, for instance).

I would pick a location that offers the amenities you want in the area. Since you're coming from the Chicago 'burbs and likely spending lots of time on the road, you might really enjoy having everything you need within walking distance or a short drive; in those cases both Aksarben Village and Midtown Crossing fit the bill.

Thanks! These are property management groups right? I looked up the site and they look great very close to downtown but, no mention on the rent rates. Any idea?
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

Ap123 wrote:
West Omaha is the suburban/exurban area. Downtown is in the east, right near the river. The reason I said to avoid 108th and Maple is because of my interactions with people who lived there, most recently last week. The person who lived there didn't recommend it and there ARE probably nice apartment complexes in the area. But if you don't know much about Omaha then I wouldn't chance it and end up in a miserable complex.

As for other areas, I'm not adept to specific locations. You might like Midtown better, around "Dundee." Much of the Dundee area has older housing from maybe the 1930s (not sure exactly). If you like more modern living quarters, then take riceweb's advice.
SabrinaFaire
Home Owners Association

Post by SabrinaFaire »

Ap123 wrote:
SabrinaFaire wrote:Hello! I'm from the northern suburbs of Chicago. I don't live downtown but you could definitely live pretty comfortably paying what you pay now in the NW burbs. As for driving/commuting, it's nothing like it is in Chicago. You can get anywhere reasonably fast even during rush hour. I live SW wouldn't rule out a job downtown or even in Council Bluffs.
Hi, nice to meet another person from Chi :) Is there public transport? Here we have only cabs in the burbs or else our own car. Are there stores nearby, shopping malls etc? I would prefer downtown coz I always thought the chicago burbs are far more devloped that the Omaha ones? wat do u think? I am a stay at home wife, I don't work so I have plenty to keep me occupied here :)
There is, and living in downtown/midtown/Dundee ish area is probably better for public transport than "out west." My FIL doesn't drive and is trying to find a job here and the bus system hasn't served him well. (Luckily for him I'm out of work now too and can drive him to interviews) Anyway, yeah there's shopping malls and stores. It's not as dense as the Schaumburg area, but they are there. Most of the shopping areas are out west or in Papillion, but there's also Old Market which is a shopping/dining area nearer to downtown. I do think the Chicago burbs are more developed and congested though.

Like others said Aksarben (and I'll save you the time/and "doh" moment that's Nebraska spelled backwards) Village and Midtown Crossing are both new shopping areas that also have housing/condos/apartments. Mixed use I think they call it. :) I don't know what the rental rates are though. We found our apartment from the http://www.forrent.com flyer but you could also find places by driving around. My brother found his current place that way. He lives near 36th & Harney and pays around $450 for a one bedroom. I haven't been there yet though so I'm not sure if it's nice, good size, etc.

I think the best you can do is come out and visit and see the neighborhoods and get an idea of where you want to be. Omaha is about an 8 hour drive give or take from Chicago and an 1.5 hour flight.

Someone mentioned 108th & Maple, and yeah it's not the best neighborhood but it's not horrible. We used to live near there. I mean it's not as nasty as say North Chicago but it's not Barrington either.
Ap123

Post by Ap123 »

SabrinaFaire wrote:
Ap123 wrote:
There is, and living in downtown/midtown/Dundee ish area is probably better for public transport than "out west." My FIL doesn't drive and is trying to find a job here and the bus system hasn't served him well. (Luckily for him I'm out of work now too and can drive him to interviews) Anyway, yeah there's shopping malls and stores. It's not as dense as the Schaumburg area, but they are there. Most of the shopping areas are out west or in Papillion, but there's also Old Market which is a shopping/dining area nearer to downtown. I do think the Chicago burbs are more developed and congested though.

Like others said Aksarben (and I'll save you the time/and "doh" moment that's Nebraska spelled backwards) Village and Midtown Crossing are both new shopping areas that also have housing/condos/apartments. Mixed use I think they call it. :) I don't know what the rental rates are though. We found our apartment from the http://www.forrent.com flyer but you could also find places by driving around. My brother found his current place that way. He lives near 36th & Harney and pays around $450 for a one bedroom. I haven't been there yet though so I'm not sure if it's nice, good size, etc.

I think the best you can do is come out and visit and see the neighborhoods and get an idea of where you want to be. Omaha is about an 8 hour drive give or take from Chicago and an 1.5 hour flight.

Someone mentioned 108th & Maple, and yeah it's not the best neighborhood but it's not horrible. We used to live near there. I mean it's not as nasty as say North Chicago but it's not Barrington either.
Thanks Sabrina :) We're thinking some place at Midtown Crossing apartments, Broadmoor or Pinkhook. What do you think? Our budget is around $1000 ish. I am not sure if the fitness centre facilities are included in the monthly rent. The website seems to vague especially at Midtown. I think Aksarben village does. I don't think we have time to make a trip there n then decide. We'll come, probably take a week, look around and finalize an apartment.
Ap123

Post by Ap123 »

Hello, Can someone tell me Broadmoor or Pinkhook which is better or are both equally bad?. What do you think?  Can we get a decent apartment for $1000...a one bedroom I mean.
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

Ap123 wrote:Hello, Can someone tell me Broadmoor or Pinkhook which is better or are both equally bad?. What do you think?  Can we get a decent apartment for $1000...a one bedroom I mean.
I'm not familiar enough with either of those apartment complexes to compare them.  I can tell you that you can get a very nice apartment in Omaha for less than your $1000 budget.  

During a recent spat with my girlfriend I was looking at apartments, just in case.  I found that a good-sized two bedroom in the I-680 corridor was around $750.
Ap123

Post by Ap123 »

Oh thanks! I am looking for something in the midtown area/aksarben village...is that the area u r talking about?
Ap123

Post by Ap123 »

Thanks so much! I looked up online and aksarben village's prices seem to be quite high compared to others. I'm ok if it has a lot of amineties and grocery, shopping etc nearby.I'm still not sure where my husband is gonna be working...once we know the area i'll get a clearer picture of things..I'll pop into the forums once again then n get all ur opinions.
bluecollartechworker
New to the Neighborhood

Post by bluecollartechworker »

I'm ok if it has a lot of amineties and grocery, shopping etc nearby.
There are groceries at Aksarben, but I'm not sure about shopping.  Two amenities are the theater and the Keystone Trail that goes close by.
Ap123

Post by Ap123 »

Oh thanks...I saw a Wholner's hence asked :)

Any idea how the apartments at One Pacific Place are, anyone? They seem kinda nice...
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

Ap123 wrote:Oh thanks...I saw a Wholner's hence asked :)

Any idea how the apartments at One Pacific Place are, anyone? They seem kinda nice...
Very nice.  High end.  Ritzy, I think, even.
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

Say, Ap123..

I just saw that 2-bedroom apartments on the northwest corner of 114th and West Center, just off the I-680 exit are $690 per month.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

Ap123 wrote:Hello, Can someone tell me Broadmoor or Pinkhook which is better or are both equally bad?. What do you think?  Can we get a decent apartment for $1000...a one bedroom I mean.
I don't know about those specific apartment buildings.

What I do know is that my daughter & her husband are renting a fantastic 1-bedroom apartment, in the midtown area, and are paying $520 per month.  Heat & water is paid.

The apartment has a small (but newly remodeled) kitchen and small bathroom.  Bedroom is about 10x12.  There are 5 big closets.  Big dining room and huge living room.  All hardwood floors & fantastic windows.

It's a 10-minute bus ride to downtown.

They love it and plan to live there until they have kids and/or buy their own house.

Duda Realty manages the apartment complex.

http://www.dudarealty.com/about.cfm?part=about
Ap123

Post by Ap123 »

Thank you so much for the info guys! You are a helpful bunch :)

We are thinking of finalizing Broadmoor or Pinkhook. If there are no listings how about Pacific PlacE?

Also, this 108 & Maple area that ppl say is not safe, is it anywhere near Aksarben Village? I'm not too sure if heat, water & Gym are part of the rent in Broadmoor. Any idea?

Post by Guest »

Ap123 wrote:Thank you so much for the info guys! You are a helpful bunch :)

We are thinking of finalizing Broadmoor or Pinkhook. If there are no listings how about Pacific PlacE?

Also, this 108 & Maple area that ppl say is not safe, is it anywhere near Aksarben Village? I'm not too sure if heat, water & Gym are part of the rent in Broadmoor. Any idea?
Quite far from Aksarben Village actually.  Maple is a good distance north of Center and 108th is more than 3 miles to the west.
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

Ap123 wrote:Thank you so much for the info guys! You are a helpful bunch :)

Not safe?  I would say that's not at all true.  As with any apartments, there are a few shadier elements; but then you can have that in a neighborhood of single family homes, too.  Apartments just concentrate people, of course.  The 108th & Maple corridor has a lot of apartments, and is plenty safe.
Ap123

Post by Ap123 »

Hi,

I said not safe since a couple of them in this forum had mentioned it befor...I'm very sorry if I offended anyone :(

Thanks for the info though. I'm gonna be new to the place so, any sort of info helps! :)
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

Ap123 wrote:Hi,

I said not safe since a couple of them in this forum had mentioned it befor...I'm very sorry if I offended anyone :(

Thanks for the info though. I'm gonna be new to the place so, any sort of info helps! :)
No offense at all.... and in these forums, it takes a bit more than that to tick someone off.  

Glad to have you moving here.  Hope it all works well for you.
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

What I meant by "ghetto" didn't have to do with safety. It meant the general area just screams low class hoodlums. The stores around an area is usually a good indicator (example - 120th and Center is lol because of Hooters, the dollar store, and Nobbies. Also iHop).
Last edited by chaoman45 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

chaoman45 wrote:What I meant by "ghetto" didn't have to do with safety. It meant the general area just screams low class hoodlums. The stores around an area is usually a good indicator (example - 120th and Center is lol because of Hooters, the dollar store, and Bobbies. Also iHop).
Is the "strip" club still open?
Stable genius.
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

Yeah, I think so.

(lol)
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

chaoman45 wrote:What I meant by "ghetto" didn't have to do with safety. It meant the general area just screams low class hoodlums. The stores around an area is usually a good indicator (example - 120th and Center is lol because of Hooters, the dollar store, and Bobbies. Also iHop).
I'm not sure that you can really draw a correlation between businesses at 120th & Center, and apartments four miles away at 108th & Maple.  If we draw the circle that large, one could just as easily pool those apartments with some very high-end restaurants along the West Dodge corridor.
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

HuskerDave wrote:I'm not sure that you can really draw a correlation between businesses at 120th & Center, and apartments four miles away at 108th & Maple.
I'm not.

My point is the stores around a specific vicinity tells a lot about the neighborhood. I just used an example of an area I was more familiar with is all.
Ap123

Post by Ap123 »

Hi Everyone,

I'm moving to Omaha on Tuesday :) I called up Aksarben Village(Broadmoor) and they said they have a 1 bedroom apartment that will be available on the 7th! So, i read somewhere in this forum that there is an income restriction for the apartment. They did not say anything about that on the phone...only mentioned about background verification n stuff.. Does anyone have an idea about this? Please let me know! :)
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Ap123 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'm moving to Omaha on Tuesday :) I called up Aksarben Village(Broadmoor) and they said they have a 1 bedroom apartment that will be available on the 7th! So, i read somewhere in this forum that there is an income restriction for the apartment. They did not say anything about that on the phone...only mentioned about background verification n stuff.. Does anyone have an idea about this? Please let me know! :)
If I were you, I would find out exactly what the income limit is, and immediately negotiate with your employer to lower your salary to that limit, or slightly below.
Ap123

Post by Ap123 »

lower my salary? haha :) y would I do that??!! ok, by income limit, I meant they have some threshold or a range within which the earnings have to be :) Any help on that would be appreciated :) Btw, how is Studio Plus serviced apartments in Omaha? is it like Candlewood suites..to stay for a couple of days?
Melissa
Home Owners Association

Post by Melissa »

I think some of the income restrictions are in place to avoid Broadmoor from becoming a de-facto dorm.  If they didn't mention it to you, it's probably not an issue for you.  I'm not sure how some of the long-term stay places work, but I do know the Westin Element at Midtown Crossing has a decent internet rate and includes a kitchenette.  

Also, welcome to the Aksarben neighborhood.
“Auditors are the people who show up after the battle and stab the wounded.”
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

If your apartment has a lower income limit, that may be good for you.

Do what ever it takes to avoid the Creighton undergrads and Section 8 crowd.

Sorry to sound like I am Creighton bashing, but here it is well earned.  

Too many kids from the East who are going to school on the trust fund.  

I lived in the Orpheum Tower apartments on 16th.  The place was great when I moved in as mortgage interest hadn't caved yet, so a lot of professionals who worked downtown, lived there.   We really had a quiet and pleasant floor till the mortgage interest rate tumbled and the two groups of law students graduated.  My floor went from quiet business people and busy law students to section 8 on one side of me and techno-rave addicted CU undergrads on the other.  

Needless to say, I availed myself of the favorable interest rates soon after.
Kyle Broflovski
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Kyle Broflovski »

If you are living in "west omaha" the general rule of thumb is to keep between Blondo St and Center St moving west. Anything north of that is prone to blighting, and south is pretty industrial and stripmally.

The area around 108th and Maple has become saturated with Section 8 tenants, thus is a hotbed for skeezy activity. You can tell section 8 generally by looks: look for a nice new building that is in disrepair, like the Pine Tree Apartments on 102nd and Blondo.

Steer clear of "South Apartmentstan" aka 96th & Q area west to 108th. Full of WT and juveniles. What else would you expect from an apartment complex with a in-house bar.

Dundee is cool, but the available apartments are overrun by (as mentioned above) Creighton trust fund babies and hipsters who were born 4 generations too late. Most of the stuff along Dodge Street between say 30th and 72nd is pretty much UNO and CU kiddies.

I personally think  that the downtown "lofts" are overpriced, poorly divided, poorly ventilated, dirty, cat pee smelling homeless shelters. In particular, the Old Market Lofts on Jackson St and the units above Spaghetti Works.

With the market the way it is, you can get a newly constructed unit for a decent price  with all the modern amenities that renters expect.

If you're stuck on "downtown living" and don't like driving and willing to pay the price, go right ahead. Omaha is a commuter city with limited public transportation.

Kylie-B
Ap123

Post by Ap123 »

Melissa - Thanks! I'm yet to check out Aksarben. On my way, I did see midtown crossing...it looked fab. I'm sure Aksarben is great too!
Bigredmed - Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind :)
Kylie Broflovski - Thank you, Broadmoor, Pinhook n all are modern quarters right? So,we r thinking of checking them out sometime :) let me know if you have anything else you want me to keep in mind
[/right]
Kyle Broflovski
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Kyle Broflovski »

Yes. That is all new ( past few years) redevlopment of the former Aksarben fairgrounds/racetrack/icerink/stables. I haven't been in the units, but the area is nice, particularly the neighborhood directly east and north. They bulldozed the adjacent trailer parks when they commenced this project.

You are bounded by the College of St. Mary and UNO, which shares the same area of land. I'm not sure how much or many college aged types occupy those units, but that is something to consider. The UNO dorms are just a few meters north of that area.

I have reservations about the Midtown Crossing project. First off, it's in a really shady part of town. Crank heads to the north, hookers to the east, "clinics" to the west and CU kiddies abound.  It was a made-for redevelopment project of some run down office buildings and a Turner Park which is a homeless playgound. Not to sound negative, but this project is prone to failing due to it's redundancy, location and steep prices for both living quarters and hipster shops.

Omaha is just a few major employers short of making all the condo redev projects a smashing success. Trust funds only go so far.

Kylie-B