Need Help! (Downtown Apartment Suggestions)

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Kyle Broflovski wrote:I have reservations about the Midtown Crossing project. First off, it's in a really shady part of town. Crank heads to the north, hookers to the east, "clinics" to the west and CU kiddies abound.  It was a made-for redevelopment project of some run down office buildings and a Turner Park which is a homeless playgound. Not to sound negative, but this project is prone to failing due to it's redundancy, location and steep prices for both living quarters and hipster shops.
Do you mind letting me know what shops at Midtown Crossing are "hipster shops"?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

iamjacobm wrote:
Kyle Broflovski wrote:I have reservations about the Midtown Crossing project. First off, it's in a really shady part of town. Crank heads to the north, hookers to the east, "clinics" to the west and CU kiddies abound.  It was a made-for redevelopment project of some run down office buildings and a Turner Park which is a homeless playgound. Not to sound negative, but this project is prone to failing due to it's redundancy, location and steep prices for both living quarters and hipster shops.
I think he's lumping in do*che-couture and the like in with the hipster brand - even so, can you really blame him?

Post by Guest »

Omaha is just a few major employers short of making all the condo redev projects a smashing success. Trust funds only go so far.

Kylie-B
Really shady part of town?  Am I missing something?  I wasn't aware I am living in a ghetto and am an inch away from being stabbed every moment I walk around.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Kyle Broflovski wrote: "clinics" to the west
You mean one of the finest medical centers in the known universe, don't you?

One that's consistently rated in the Top {whatever} surveys?
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

Kyle Broflovski wrote:Yes. That is all new ( past few years) redevlopment of the former Aksarben fairgrounds/racetrack/icerink/stables. I haven't been in the units, but the area is nice, particularly the neighborhood directly east and north. They bulldozed the adjacent trailer parks when they commenced this project.

You are bounded by the College of St. Mary and UNO, which shares the same area of land. I'm not sure how much or many college aged types occupy those units, but that is something to consider. The UNO dorms are just a few meters north of that area.

I have reservations about the Midtown Crossing project. First off, it's in a really shady part of town. Crank heads to the north, hookers to the east, "clinics" to the west and CU kiddies abound.  It was a made-for redevelopment project of some run down office buildings and a Turner Park which is a homeless playgound. Not to sound negative, but this project is prone to failing due to it's redundancy, location and steep prices for both living quarters and hipster shops.

Omaha is just a few major employers short of making all the condo redev projects a smashing success. Trust funds only go so far.

Kylie-B
Yeah, Kylie, I have to disagree with everything you said after "I have reservations..."

Midtown Crossing has been a smashing success so far, and while Turner Park was an eyesore for years, it isn't anymore.  I also stand by my earlier statements that there isn't anyplace in Omaha that's particularly dangerous, unless you have given people a specific reason to do harm to you (i.e. drug dealer or gang member).  Even the areas of town that have a somewhat rougher reputation aren't at Midtown.

I'm also unsure of where the "Trust fund" argument comes into play.  That's just a nonsequitor, as near as I can tell.
Kyle Broflovski
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Kyle Broflovski »

double post
Last edited by Kyle Broflovski on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle Broflovski
New to the Neighborhood

S33 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
I think he's lumping in do*che-couture and the like in with the hipster brand - even so, can you really blame him?
You're picking up what I'm laying down.

HuskerDave wrote:
Kyle Broflovski wrote:Yes. That is all new ( past few years) redevlopment of the former Aksarben fairgrounds/racetrack/icerink/stables. I haven't been in the units, but the area is nice, particularly the neighborhood directly east and north. They bulldozed the adjacent trailer parks when they commenced this project.

You are bounded by the College of St. Mary and UNO, which shares the same area of land. I'm not sure how much or many college aged types occupy those units, but that is something to consider. The UNO dorms are just a few meters north of that area.

I have reservations about the Midtown Crossing project. First off, it's in a really shady part of town. Crank heads to the north, hookers to the east, "clinics" to the west and CU kiddies abound.  It was a made-for redevelopment project of some run down office buildings and a Turner Park which is a homeless playgound. Not to sound negative, but this project is prone to failing due to it's redundancy, location and steep prices for both living quarters and hipster shops.

Kylie-B
Yeah, Kylie, I have to disagree with everything you said after "I have reservations..."

Midtown Crossing has been a smashing success so far, and while Turner Park was an eyesore for years, it isn't anymore.  I also stand by my earlier statements that there isn't anyplace in Omaha that's particularly dangerous, unless you have given people a specific reason to do harm to you (i.e. drug dealer or gang member).  Even the areas of town that have a somewhat rougher reputation aren't at Midtown.

I'm also unsure of where the "Trust fund" argument comes into play.  That's just a nonsequitor, as near as I can tell.
Hang out across the street at the Radio Shack and Bucky's and let me know your findings. Not exactly the place to let your kids play out in the yard unattended. Unsolicited, people constantly bemoan the reasons why they refuse to stop and get gas there on the way home from work.  Peruse a short block north to Cali Taco. Those of us who have lived in Omaha for a long period of time know that it's unreasonable to think that redeveloping a property will displace the unsightly elements associated with it's previous incarnation. This was the lesson of Central Park Plaza/16th St.

The "trust fund" argument is rooted in economics. When you have a artificial source of income with no real wage or input being returned in the form of wages or productivity, the money will run out. The wage structure in Omaha simply cannot support the rent that these condo projects demand. Most of my friends and friends of friends that live in these units are not there on their own merits, which leads the reasonable man to believe that the gravy train is finite.

I laugh my tuckus off when I read OWH articles in the past few years where they interview downtown realtors/etc who tout the booming successes and "limited" supply and "intense" demand of urban condo/loft projects. Does that explain the failures at the Brandies, Beebe-Runyan and Wall St Tower? What about the project on 84th and Dodge that was cancelled?

Omababe wrote:

Sorry. My compass was off, and I didn't mean UNMC. I meant Park Plaza Clinic and Family Med.

Kylie-B
Melissa
Home Owners Association

Post by Melissa »

Wowza.  I've never seen more blanket statements.  I live in Aksarben and work in the MTC area.  I've fueled up at the Bucky's, eaten at Cali Taco, and I've walked around the entire area at varying hours of the day and evening.

Guess what folks, I'm still alive!  I can't say I've even had a close call either.
“Auditors are the people who show up after the battle and stab the wounded.”
Melissa
Home Owners Association

Post by Melissa »

Kyle Broflovski wrote:
Omababe wrote:

Sorry. My compass was off, and I didn't mean UNMC. I meant Park Plaza Clinic and Family Med.

Kylie-B
From the Park Plaza Clinic website : Park Plaza Clinic is a subsidiary of the HELP Foundation of Omaha, a non-profit organization, dedicated to providing affordable healthcare and education.  As chairman, Dr. Anil Agarwal has assembled an experienced team of healthcare professionals to establish the newest form of healthcare, Park Plaza Clinic. As a polyclinic, Dr. Agarwal aims to tackle the essential needs his patients and provide the best healthcare solution at one convenient location, and still provide the optimal and most cost-effective choice.

Sounds like pretty dubious intentions.  I think we should label this area as "scary and dangerous".  /sarcasm
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Melissa wrote:Wowza.  I've never seen more blanket statements.  I live in Aksarben and work in the MTC area.  I've fueled up at the Bucky's, eaten at Cali Taco, and I've walked around the entire area at varying hours of the day and evening.

Guess what folks, I'm still alive!  I can't say I've even had a close call either.
I have never had any problems either...  As far as MTC apartments go, your entire basis of their failure seems to be planted upon your "friends and friends of friends" that are using artificial income to rent their pads (which I'm not sure if you are referring to school loans or what).  I personally think the apartments/condos are the safest part of this project and the main problem MTC will have is their ability to retain tenants.  If ROC is at its current location in a year or two I will be absolutely astounded, as well I would not be surprised to see a couple of the restaurants close down.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

Kyle Broflovski wrote:The "trust fund" argument is rooted in economics. When you have a artificial source of income with no real wage or input being returned in the form of wages or productivity, the money will run out. The wage structure in Omaha simply cannot support the rent that these condo projects demand. Most of my friends and friends of friends that live in these units are not there on their own merits, which leads the reasonable man to believe that the gravy train is finite.
The gravy train is definitely finite--it is for everyone, in every job. That said, the income potential in Omaha is hugenormous for a Great Plains city. There are opportunities to easily earn $50k+ with analyst positions at any of our Fortune 1000 companies with nothing more than a college degree in finance or management; there are plenty of sales positions available with a company like ConAgra; entry-level IT analysts at ConAgra with virtually zero experience earn $45k a year; entry-level engineering jobs at Union Pacific pay bank; and there are plenty of IT jobs available at TD Ameritrade, Union Pacific, Kiewit, DTN, Hayneedle, yada yada. If you're a Double Income No Kids household, you have every chance in this city to pull in $100k+ with minimal effort.

$50k income individuals can afford the high apartment rent at Aksarben and Midtown, and $100k+ DINKs can afford virtually any condo in Omaha if they have any propensity to save up a down payment.

Also, the "trust fund" idea in Omaha is a bit silly... almost all considerable wealth in this town is no more than a generation old. Sure, you have a couple of well-known family names here, but mostly people rise up through the corporate or non-profit ranks within their lifetime and that's where they get their money.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Kyle Broflovski wrote:The wage structure in Omaha simply cannot support the rent that these condo projects demand.
I've wondered the same about the McMansions out at 200-something and Sprawlzilla Street.
Kyle Broflovski
New to the Neighborhood

dammit
Last edited by Kyle Broflovski on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle Broflovski
New to the Neighborhood

Melissa wrote:
Kyle Broflovski wrote:
Omababe wrote:

Kylie-B
From the Park Plaza Clinic website : Park Plaza Clinic is a subsidiary of the HELP Foundation of Omaha, a non-profit organization, dedicated to providing affordable healthcare and education.  As chairman, Dr. Anil Agarwal has assembled an experienced team of healthcare professionals to establish the newest form of healthcare, Park Plaza Clinic. As a polyclinic, Dr. Agarwal aims to tackle the essential needs his patients and provide the best healthcare solution at one convenient location, and still provide the optimal and most cost-effective choice.

Sounds like pretty dubious intentions.  I think we should label this area as "scary and dangerous".  /sarcasm
Exactly.

Omababe wrote:
Kyle Broflovski wrote:The wage structure in Omaha simply cannot support the rent that these condo projects demand.
I've wondered the same about the McMansions out at 200-something and Sprawlzilla Street.
I know! Cruise up and down McMansion BLVD in Elkmaha and notice all the "For Sale" and "For Rent" signs!

Melissa wrote:Wowza.  I've never seen more blanket statements.  I live in Aksarben and work in the MTC area.  I've fueled up at the Bucky's, eaten at Cali Taco, and I've walked around the entire area at varying hours of the day and evening.

You've never been hit up by the PCP crank heads there? Man, I must have been wearing my "Hey, you meth junkies, come and panhandle me" jacket on every day I'm in that area.

Point is: not a place where I'd raise my family.

Kylie-B
Melissa
Home Owners Association

Post by Melissa »

Kyle Broflovski wrote:
You've never been hit up by the PCP crank heads there? Man, I must have been wearing my "Hey, you meth junkies, come and panhandle me" jacket on every day I'm in that area.

Kylie-B
Sure there are a few panhandlers here and there, but they also exist in the Old Market.  I guess I've never associated someone asking me for money with imminent danger.  Simply respond, "No Cash" and they'll leave you alone.  Perhaps you have issues interacting with the diversity of the Omaha population living in Midtown?  As far as a family goes, it seems that interaction with diversity opens up some excellent learning opportunities for children.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Melissa wrote:
Kyle Broflovski wrote:

Kylie-B
Sure there are a few panhandlers here and there, but they also exist in the Old Market.  I guess I've never associated someone asking me for money with imminent danger.  Simply respond, "No Cash" and they'll leave you alone.  Perhaps you have issues interacting with the diversity of the Omaha population living in Midtown?  As far as a family goes, it seems that interaction with diversity opens up some excellent learning opportunities for children.
I think that may be a "you" problem Kyle if you are scared of panhandlers.  Sure they can be annoying but I don't think I've ever felt threatened by one.
Kyle Broflovski
New to the Neighborhood

Linkin5 wrote:
Melissa wrote:
Kyle Broflovski wrote:

Kylie-B
I think that may be a "you" problem Kyle if you are scared of panhandlers.  Sure they can be annoying but I don't think I've ever felt threatened by one.

Over the years, I've had physical altercations with a couple on 16th and Capitol  and 16th and Farnam once. Given what kind of drugs are popular in the area, I'm not taking my chances, and certainly not my kids well being. Just ask a beat cop in the area (Park Ave-Turner Park, etc), they'll corroborate my concerns as valid.

I guess I'm just speaking from my own experiences, yours will obviously differ. Call it "diversity training"  if that is what you choose to see it as.

Kylie-B
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

Kylie-B
Hahahahaha!

Oh, wait...   Hahahahaha!

Yeah, I really HATE that UNMC/Clarkson Dump!   :lol:
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

@Kyle B - 16th & Farnam and 16th & Capitol are not Turner Park/MTC. I live in Dundee; some blocks are fine some are little more iffy. Despite that, our neighborhood is vital and families still buy into the area. I think the same is the case with MTC. As more people live at MTC the safer it becomes. At those prices it's in the businesses and residences best interest to keep it that way.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

After living in an apartment 3 blocks south of MTC for nearly a year, and now owning a house 8 blocks south, I have to laugh at such a cynical assessment of the area.  Are there shady areas around? Sure, but I'd hardly say MTC is surrounded by them.  I'm note sure where the hookers to the east are (elderly widows in the south Twin Towers building?), or why UNMC is such a drain on the neighborhood.  I also can't say I've ever seen any bums in Turner Park; I'm pretty sure the private security that patrols the place would run them out in pretty short order.
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

There used to be bums in Turner Park BEFORE MTC was built. I've only ever noticed the hookers on 24th and Leavenworth. Used to see them when I would take my son to school at Central.