Reservoirs

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

NE now

Reservoirs

Post by NE now »

I see these reservoirs in Omaha, what are they used for? I've never lived in a city with them.
Brad
City Council

Re: Reservoirs

Post by Brad »

NE now wrote:I see these reservoirs in Omaha, what are they used for? I've never lived in a city with them.
They are used for flood control.
Omababe
Planning Board

Re: Reservoirs

Post by Omababe »

NE now wrote:I see these reservoirs in Omaha, what are they used for? I've never lived in a city with them.
What reservoirs?

The ones at Field Club and Walnut Hill?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I assumed they meant the Dam Sites that are all around town for flood control.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Brad wrote:I assumed they meant the Dam Sites that are all around town for flood control.
LOL, I call those "lakes" and not reservoirs. :)

One thing that kind of intrigued me about Omaha was the covered reservoirs. The reservoirs I was more familiar with were more like, uh, lakes. :)
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

When I was a kid in Omaha, the Papio creek system would flood every few years.  It made a lot of roads impassible, and left large areas surrounding the creeks undeveloped.  The reservoirs are all fairly recent.  The first was opened probably 40 years ago or so, with the latest about to open for development at 192d and Dodge.  Now that there is better control of the Papio, most of those low-lying areas around the creeks have seen a fair amount of construction.  The one that jumps to mind is the area around 144th and F streets, which was vacant for years except for a tree nursery.  Now there are three car lots, and a myriad of other businesses.