Egyptian or Middle Eastern in General Restaurant

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

AswanMan

Egyptian or Middle Eastern in General Restaurant

Post by AswanMan »

Hi are there any authentic restaurants from Egypt or Middle East in Omaha town, true street food, not glove restaurant?
samizdat
New to the Neighborhood

Post by samizdat »

almighty_tuna wrote:We've had decent falafel at el Basha around 75th & Pacific.
Good call Tuna, I forgot about El Basha. It really is quite good.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

El Basha is primarily Lebanese, and is very good.  Plus we just tried Marrakech on 33rd St. And really liked it, both for its food...very Mediterranean...as well as the super funky atmosphere.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Will have to try both Marrakech and Sultan's Kite. We're a fan of that cuisine, especially Mrs Tuna.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

El Basha makes decent falafel, but the Morroccan cafe by Turner park is my favorite.
derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

I see el Basha has shwarma, so I'm going to go there for sure. Has anyone been to the Middle East and been to one of the fast food shwarma places where they have all the veggies and salads and olives laid out in a big, buffet style kind of setup? Any place like that around here?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Victor's at 40th and Farnam has excellent food, and I think he is from Egypt; I seem to remember the walls having a lot of photographs of Egyptian antiquities and landmarks.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

Lived in Riyadh Saudi Arabia and loved the schwarma. Unfortunately, being a woman i had wait in the car as all the schwarma restaurants we went to were men only. Had to get takeout so no "buffet" style. The Fuddruckers in Riyadh put the one here to shame however. Huge condiment bar that looked like a buffet.
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

Mediterranean Bistro.  120th and Blondo.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Globochem wrote:Mediterranean Bistro.  120th and Blondo.
The Food was decent, however we had horrible service and the place is in serious need of a remodel.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

nativeomahan wrote:El Basha is primarily Lebanese, and is very good.  Plus we just tried Marrakech on 33rd St. And really liked it, both for its food...very Mediterranean...as well as the super funky atmosphere.
My wife and I enjoy going to El Basha occasionally (we don't eat out much lately; renovating an old house put the brakes on that!).  I've heard good things about Marrakech, but haven't been there (despite it being within walking distance).

Post by Guest »

El Basha at one point was decent, but those days are long gone. Believe me when I say the Mediterranean Bistro is a waste of time and money. I recommend heading directly to Casablanca Café (3025 Farnam) and having Hamid cook you some seriously fantastic food pronto.  :yes:
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

So, annoying when you post something while not logged in. Anyway, that was me and you can't go wrong at Casablanca Café.