For the starving artists in Omaha...

Visitors and Residents can ask Questions about Omaha here

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

yngwie

For the starving artists in Omaha...

Post by yngwie »

Hello,
Just wondering if there are some nice establishments in Omaha to display my artwork.
thanks
yngwie

..also

Post by yngwie »

Forgot to mention..FREE
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I don't know what the criteria is for having your works accepted for display... but I know Delice at Midtown Crossing and La Casa's Pizza both have the works of local artists hanging on their walls.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

A few of the Starbucks do too.
yngwie

Post by yngwie »

Just called the bakery you suggested and they said they only have space for 1 print..all windows.
Not my idea of a place for work.
I have already displayed at 1 starbucks just looking for a different place.
Starbucks on Center will actually kick back art if customers don't like it..heck with that.
Melissa
Home Owners Association

Post by Melissa »

Might be worth giving Caffeine Dreams on Farnam a call.
“Auditors are the people who show up after the battle and stab the wounded.”
yngwie

Post by yngwie »

Great Suggestion:)
I already have stuff in there..
but
they didn't want my husker paintings...not crazy enough they said..
thus..need a somewhat classier place for these
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

yngwie wrote:Starbucks on Center will actually kick back art if customers don't like it..heck with that.
I am confused.  If a business has customers telling them they don't like artwork on display, you are ticked that they would follow the wishes of their patrons and remove said artwork?
yngwie

Post by yngwie »

Yes. artwork is subjective. A business needs to stand by artists and educate customers on art or don't show work at all. But Starbucks...well..they don't mess around and the customer comes first.
Although, if the Starbucks I put art in was corporate..they would have got some major complaints from me. But, because they were privately owned, nothing could be done.
Hey, I loved it. I was the controversial Artist of the month! Can't beat that!

I recently showed the artwork at another starbucks and they were thrilled and appreciative of my work:)
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Any business's first priority is to their customers and they owner / stockholders.  To think otherwise it short sighted.  Customers complain and you better react or they will not be customers much longer.  Not a good trend.  

On top of everything else the space is FREE to you.  if you had paid for gallery space then..... maybe.... you would have a small argument but even then not if I was the business owner.
yngwie wrote:Yes. artwork is subjective. A business needs to stand by artists and educate customers on art or don't show work at all. But Starbucks...well..they don't mess around and the customer comes first.
Although, if the Starbucks I put art in was corporate..they would have got some major complaints from me. But, because they were privately owned, nothing could be done.

I recently showed the artwork at another starbucks and they were thrilled and appreciative of my work:)
Last edited by nebugeater on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

yngwie wrote:Yes. artwork is subjective. A business needs to stand by artists and educate customers on art or don't show work at all. But Starbucks...well..they don't mess around and the customer comes first.

Wow, that is interesting.  You honestly think someone should invest millions of dollars in a business, try to help you out and potentially lose it all if their patrons don't like it.  Kind of a selfish point of view (and extremely ignorant), IMHO.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

The more I have thought about this today, the more it has chapped my hide.  It made me thing of the following story:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/Mickey-go ... 49706.html

In short, we as a society, have raised a generation that thinks everyone should get cupcakes and a medal.  You have been told you are so special, should "follow your heart" and should get to do what you love.  It should not matter if no one wants your product.  You are entitiled to make a living off of it because, well, you're special.  Sorry, but if no one wants to buy/look at your |expletive|, it is not because we can't just understand your superior intellect.  It is because no one wants the |expletive| you are producing.

A few months back, I saw an interview with a 20-something chick at Occupy Wall Street.  She was upset because she went to college, paid her dues and now cannot find a job.  When asked what her degree/profession was, she replied "art."  The thought NEVER crossed her mind that the reason she is not employed was because she chose to enter a field with very little demand.  Instead, I am betting she was told her whole life that she was a special little girl and she is entitled to the same standard of living as everyone else, even if she brought nothing of value to the table.  She was a victim and the big bad, intellectually inferior heathens who would not pay her for her |expletive| that no one wants.

In short, quit demanding everyone cater to you, no matter the detriment to their own hard work.  I will save you the suspense:  you are not special (just like the rest of us).  Grow up, accept that, and find a way to create a product people want.
Last edited by joeglow on Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by Guest »

Danny Tanner would kick your |expletive|.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

joeglow wrote:The more I have thought about this today, the more it has chapped my hide.  It made me thing of the following story:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/Mickey-go ... 49706.html

In short, we as a society, have raised a generation that thinks everyone should get cupcakes and a medal.  You have been told you are so special, should "follow your heart" and should get to do what you love.  It should not matter if no one wants your product.  You are entitiled to make a living off of it because, well, you're special.  Sorry, but if no one wants to buy/look at your |expletive|, it is not because we can't just understand your superior intellect.  It is because no one wants the |expletive| you are producing.

A few months back, I saw an interview with a 20-something chick at Occupy Wall Street.  She was upset because she went to college, paid her dues and now cannot find a job.  When asked what her degree/profession was, she replied "art."  The thought NEVER crossed her mind that the reason she is not employed was because she chose to enter a field with very little demand.  Instead, I am betting she was told her whole life that she was a special little girl and she is entitled to the same standard of living as everyone else, even if she brought nothing of value to the table.  She was a victim and the big bad, intellectually inferior heathens who would not pay her for her |expletive| that no one wants.

In short, quit demanding everyone cater to you, no matter the detriment to their own hard work.  I will save you the suspense:  you are not special (just like the rest of us).  Grow up, accept that, and find a way to create a product people want.
LOL.  Reminds me of this:

http://www.thenation.com/article/164348 ... all-street
A few years ago, Joe Therrien, a graduate of the NYC Teaching Fellows program, was working as a full-time drama teacher at a public elementary school in New York City. Frustrated by huge class sizes, sparse resources and a disorganized bureaucracy, he set off to the University of Connecticut to get an MFA in his passion—puppetry. Three years and $35,000 in student loans later, he emerged with degree in hand, and because puppeteers aren’t exactly in high demand, he went looking for work at his old school.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

At first I thought that article was from The Onion, imagine my surprise when I found out it was real.
yngwie

Post by yngwie »

wow..where was all this when i asked for help at the start..

I understand its free space and totally understand the business point of view BUT
what made me laugh was what I had displayed..just a portrait of a face that was offensive to some conservative west O dork who doesn't know a thing about art.
AND the fact that the manager agreed with him was priceless. If she would have been honest and told me from a business perspective, It would have made sense..but no
This is probably why they no longer show work there. wow.
I remember a day when a business owner appreciated your work and understood that your work could potentially bring in more customers and more business..
Ahh the good ol days
Like i said, I loved being the talk of the town for a week. Exposure is exposure regardless. No feelings hurt here:)
I will continue to find more places just like caffeine dreams, If they like it, thats great, if not..complain and complain more so I can get more famous..haha

thanks for your help

Post by Guest »

yngwie wrote:wow..where was all this when i asked for help at the start..

I understand its free space and totally understand the business point of view BUT
what made me laugh was what I had displayed..just a portrait of a face that was offensive to some conservative west O dork who doesn't know a thing about art.
AND the fact that the manager agreed with him was priceless. If she would have been honest and told me from a business perspective, It would have made sense..but no
This is probably why they no longer show work there. wow.
I remember a day when a business owner appreciated your work and understood that your work could potentially bring in more customers and more business..
Ahh the good ol days
Like i said, I loved being the talk of the town for a week. Exposure is exposure regardless. No feelings hurt here:)
I will continue to find more places just like caffeine dreams, If they like it, thats great, if not..complain and complain more so I can get more famous..haha

thanks for your help
You don't really sound much like a mature artist, and you're not very savvy when it comes to marketing your wares.  I imagine you will be a starving artist for a long time.